badbull 16-Jun-17
Paul@thefort 16-Jun-17
badbull 16-Jun-17
lawdy 16-Jun-17
Coyote 65 16-Jun-17
Paul@thefort 16-Jun-17
lawdy 17-Jun-17
16-Jun-17
Anyone have experience using Bear Bomb type attractors and/or calling bears into bow range? I have encountered bears several times while elk hunting but always without a tag. I am now thinking of buying a tag and actively pursuing them {spring or fall w/o bait). Any pointers or experiences appreciated. Thanks........badbull

16-Jun-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Called in this Colorado bear to within 25 yards using a Quaker Boy Fawn in distress call. Called off and on for 30 minutes where bear sign was evident. He came in with fur raised, eyes slanted, and he had me on his breakfast menu. An arrow through both front shoulders put him down.

When calling just be prepared to see lots dark shadows and stumps, that look like bears, just appear. And then, watch you back! my best, Paul

16-Jun-17
Paul......Excellent info. I am not surprised that you "pulled it off". Thanks.........Bob

16-Jun-17
I use both a fawn bleat and a predator call. I call from the ground but should probably be in a tree as they can come in dead silent, and scary close. Had a young bear last fall come within a few feet of me. A big bear came in on me 4 years ago while I was calling for deer, twice. He made me nervous and wouldn't leave until I let loose with a freon air horn I carry. That ended that evening hunt.

16-Jun-17
Called in one once to see if I could do it, Had been trying to thin out the coyotes to give the fawns a better chance. Saw one about 100 yds away. Tooted on the mouth call and he came running my way. As soon as I stopped calling he stopped running. It was a rinse repeat moment. Got him within 20 yds, figured that was close enough.

Terry

16-Jun-17
Bob, I had learned from watching Wayne Carlton's bear calling video that one needs to call a lot without much interruption between calling sequences. As Coyote 65 observed, once he stopped calling and bear stopped running in. Wayne recommends keep calling as the bear may turn away if there is too much quite time between calls. This advise worked well for me. Paul

17-Jun-17
I would recommend bringing a spare pair of underwear with you, seriously. Nothing is as quiet as a bear stalking an imaginary prey. They get close. A great horned owl almost took me by surprise once while calling. You become a free meal to all predators out there, but it is fun to see what happens.

• Sitka Gear