Ace 14-Jul-17
petedrummond 14-Jul-17
petedrummond 14-Jul-17
TSI 15-Jul-17
Blacktail Bob 16-Jul-17
carcus 16-Jul-17
16-Jun-17
Hi guys,

I am off to hunt bears in BC next year and I'm just doing some homework for preferred shot placement. It'll be a spot & stalk hunt for 6/7 days and I'll be shooting my BW recurve, 63# at my 29'' draw and arrows weighing around the 640g area with a 3 blade VPA broadhead.

I'm after some positive replies in regards to shot placement and or, a pic or two of where one should expect to put the best shot in on good bear to knock him down.

Reason I'm asking is I've never shot a bear before and Ive hunted Africa twice before and have it in my mind to keep shots forward and I've heard/read where thats not the case with black bear.

Cheers.

16-Jun-17

Ibow's embedded Photo
Ibow's embedded Photo
This was posted by another Bowsiter a few years back. Very helpful.

17-Jun-17
Halfway up (or down) and stay away from the leg. Contrary to many diagrams, you came shoot a bear pretty far back.

Where and when are you hunting? BC has way too many bears and you're welcome to take a few, as far as I'm concerned.

17-Jun-17
10$ will get you the NBEF overlay chart. http://www.nbef.org/ecommerce/advanced-bear-anatomy-and-shot-placement-guide-w-overlays.html

17-Jun-17
I shoot them in the same spot as everything else, they do move and twist a lot so first good broadside shoot them behind the front shoulder, stay away from the gut

17-Jun-17

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Just avoid the leg bones. Rib bones are pretty thin. Have a great hunt! C

17-Jun-17
Lots of threads on this in the past. Always lived by Rob's "middle of the middle" rule. Good luck

17-Jun-17
A gut shot in Africa is a good shot on a bear.

Stay behind the shoulder on a bear and about midway of torso.

17-Jun-17

Zebrakiller's embedded Photo

17-Jun-17

killinstuff's embedded Photo
Well, toss all the picks posted out the window in IMHO cause "perfect" seldom happens when on the ground. I'm guessing your going to try and sneak up on a bear in BC? You won't get perfect broad side shots 90% of the time so don't look at the side facing you, try to picture the exit point and put your arrow so that is comes out there. This one was shot in the last rib and arrow hit the off side arm trying to get out. Heart shot and dead in 40 yards.

17-Jun-17

This one I got pretty close too and it figured something wasn't right and walked off in the woods. I jumped up and ran after it woofing. It jumped up on a tree to get a better look at what was chasing it and I almost run him over. It was the standing bear at the 3d course shot, in the armpit at under 10 yards.

19-Jun-17
Thanks Killinstuff and Zebra Killer!

19-Jun-17
I have shot a lot of bears with a longbow. A bear shot square in the middle is a dead bear in short order. I like to be about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way back.

19-Jun-17

carcus's embedded Photo
carcus's embedded Photo
Paused the video, this is the spot you want, no trialing necessary

19-Jun-17
This might help

19-Jun-17

LBshooter's embedded Photo
LBshooter's embedded Photo
This might help

19-Jun-17
Thanks very much guys

19-Jun-17

19-Jun-17
ZebreKiller's last photo shows perfect arrow placement. Middle of the Middle is BS.

19-Jun-17
that was middle of the middle if you go nose to tail. its not if you go brisket to tail.

21-Jun-17
W.P. - After 9 years, I finally drew my Wisconsin bear tag for this Fall. The best advice I can offer is get a 4x8 sheet of plywood, cut it into a bear and cut a bowling ball sized hole at the vitals location. Pound arrows into that void.

01-Jul-17
Shoot em where your guide tells you to. Good luck on your hunt and be prepared to become addicted to bear hunting. My clients are always happy when they shoot them where I tell them to and the bear goes down in seconds EVERY SINGLE TIME, proven hundreds of times over 30+ years of guiding. Blacktail Bob's opinion made me laugh.

02-Jul-17
I agree with Blacktail Bob. Middle of the middle is ridiculous. If it ends up being just behind the shoulder, why not say that? I guess I have always aimed middle of the middle?

02-Jul-17
Sight pins help, especially on bears! Don't be afraid to screw a sight on that recurve

04-Jul-17
Sight on a recurve?! Oh the humanity!

04-Jul-17
There is a much larger void area on bear than whitetail, be cautious.

;)

14-Jul-17

's embedded Photo
's embedded Photo
MOTM only went 35 yards DRT. This was Dr. Dave Samuels 46th bear killed with an arrow. I have converted many experienced bow hunters to MOTM. It gives the hunter a larger margin for error.

14-Jul-17
Last post by Rob Nye. I got a new phone and my handle doesn't show up even after editing registration. Must be Russian interference.

14-Jul-17
Thanks for clearing that up Rob, I thought you were in Stealth mode.

14-Jul-17
Fyi mike ukrainitz says middle of the middle too.

14-Jul-17
Fyi mike ukrainitz says middle of the middle too.

15-Jul-17
Hit them were the experts said too!

16-Jul-17
Sounds like a gut shot bear to me, but to each his own.

I only have about 30 in the record book, so i'm not as accomplished as the big time guides. That said, I always try to shoot them 1/3rd up and in a line straight above the back side of the front leg. I always try and wait for a perfectly broadside shot too. I don't always make that shot, but thats what I try for.

16-Jul-17
Sounds like a gut shot bear to me, but to each his own.

"I only have about 30 in the record book, so i'm not as accomplished as the big time guides. That said, I always try to shoot them 1/3rd up and in a line straight above the back side of the front leg. I always try and wait for a perfectly broadside shot too. I don't always make that shot, but thats what I try for. "

X2, I shoot them like everything else, behind the shoulder and watch them die

• Sitka Gear