Bou'bound 18-Jun-17
SixLomaz 18-Jun-17
Drahthaar 18-Jun-17
hillbender 18-Jun-17
bigkev42 18-Jun-17
SixLomaz 18-Jun-17
17-Jun-17

SixLomaz's Link
Hello fellow hunters. I booked a 1 guide to 1 hunter bull moose hunt with Island Safaris in Newfoundland, for October 15th to 21st, 2017. The total hunt price is $4655 US dollars and includes a local guide services, daily meals/snacks, boarding, help with moose extraction and meat preservation. The bull moose can be hunted with a bow or gun depending on the opportunity and your preference. I planned and researched this hunting trip for almost a year and it pains me to pull the plug. Unfortunately, due to work and personal related reasons I am not able to go hunting as planned and promised. I am looking for someone interested to take my place. I have already sent Island Safaris a $3000 down payment. I also booked a round trip, overnight with cabin, ferry crossing with Marine Atlantic Canada, from Sydney, Nova Scotia to Channel-Port aux Basques, Newfoundland. This is the best way to travel to / from NL when you are driving.

Beside the hunt price shown above I estimated for a Northeastern based hunter $1500 travel costs (fuel, ferry, food), and $500 for staff tips (cook, guide, meat processor). That brings the total to around $7000 which translates to $18 - $24 per pound of moose meat (400lbs to 300lbs), including an unforgettable journey / hunt, plus a trophy to hang. Considering soaring US moose tag prices, the diminishing number of tags available in US states for non-residents, the unforgiving hunter aging process, NL moose hunts are highly desirable and still plentiful. This could change in the years ahead as Canada will follow the US price trending sooner or later.

I usually do not take my word back, but in this case I have little choice given my personal situation on the ground today. I have contacted the outfitter and I am awaiting his response. Meanwhile I am searching for a hunter willing to take my place. If you are interested please PM me. I can provide a wealth of details, gathered over time thru research, to answer all your questions. Thank you for your understanding and help.

18-Jun-17
I hope you researched that Ferry from New Brunswick to Newfoundland well. Must be a new route! LOL

18-Jun-17
I stand corrected. The ferry route is from Sydney, Nova Scotia to Channel-Port aux Basques, Newfoundland. This is a 7 to 8 hours journey over the Cabot Strait. Thank you Bou'bound.

18-Jun-17
Maybe the outfitter will let you book the hunt for another year. Forrest

18-Jun-17
Six- I sent you a pm with my contact info. I had been planning on returning to Wy with a rifle during that period if I still had a open elk tag but moose are on my bucket list and I am curious. Dave

18-Jun-17
Those dates are better suited for a rifle hunter as the rut would be over by then. Love NF.

18-Jun-17
Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond.

@hillbender - I just sent you a response to your PM.

@Drahthaar - I am convinced Mr. Pelley will let me book for another year. The only problem is that I am not sure when or if I will be able to go for a moose hunt.

@bigkev42 - I planned on bringing both bow and rifle with me in the field. If the guide could call it in then I was going to use the bow, and if not or the moose was really interesting as a trophy then I would use the rifle. According to the outfitter the moose rut in NL for the past few years was delayed due to rising temperatures.

• Sitka Gear