Thornton 27-Jun-17
Kurt 27-Jun-17
midwest 28-Jun-17
midwest 28-Jun-17
Thornton 28-Jun-17
Pigsticker 29-Jun-17
JL 29-Jun-17
22-Jun-17
I know it wasn't a bow kill, and I put it under Hogs/Exotics cause I don't know what you call ISIS, but the Canadians sure know how to shoot eh? Over 2 miles, shoulda used a bowtech.

22-Jun-17
I read that earlier today. How in the world do you even see your target ? Remarkable !

22-Jun-17
An AMAZING feat. "you even have to take into account the curvature of the earth"..."shot took 10 seconds to reach it's target"...Holy...

22-Jun-17
Must-a-used-a-RAGE!

22-Jun-17
Not only that Kota but in North America if you are shooting north and south you need to calculate for the earth's rotation, better known as the Coriolis effect!

What is awesome is that with today's technology you just enter all of the meteorological data, geographic data, and range info into a rangefinder and it will spit out the clicks for you to put into your nightforce or other optic and you dial it up and send it. Now you still need to execute that shot and there's a lot that can go wrong between a and b but it is incredible what modern weaponry can do!

22-Jun-17
10 seconds...If you shoot a compound straight up in the air, would the arrow even be in the air for 10 seconds? Never mind flying to the exact right point for 10 seconds...I can't hardly imagine it.

22-Jun-17
Pretty soon, allied forces will be able to shoot ISIS fighters while remaining state-side.

Oh wait, we're already doing that now...

22-Jun-17
Even with todays technology it is tough to make any shot over 1400 yards. I get a kick out of guys who say my gun shoots a 2" group at 100 so I am good out to 300 yards. The .308 I had built is a one hole gun at 300 yds. I still have a hell of time at anything past 700 yards. These folks can flat out shoot. Read White Feather sometimes, Carlos Hathcock was in my book the greatest shot to ever live!! Scooby

22-Jun-17
Let the lead fly at the bad guys but I have seen the T.V. guys shoot elk at 1000 yds and I know most of us can't be accurate at that far. Off my soap box now.

22-Jun-17
I was surprised that the top 4 longest hits were Canadian or British. Bet the US snipers will try to claim the mark in a the future. Amazing feat, and I thought 830 yards on a prairie dog was doing well....not with my bow either.

22-Jun-17
US snipers are traditional snipers. They believe it's all about getting close.

22-Jun-17
What are the details about this shot?? I've seen guys taking extreme LD shots at a target throw several shots and get all giddy when they hit a 4'x4' target. Not my idea of "success", but ok.

22-Jun-17
Canadian eh?? :)

22-Jun-17
I do a little something with sniper training, rifles, optics, and ballistic calculators and this nothing short of phenomenal. How many times do you think the wind shifted in that 10 seconds in both speed and direction.

22-Jun-17
Ohio, One shot, two miles, one dead ISIS scumbag. Officially verified.

22-Jun-17
I will say this as well, luck is and was involved. He may take that same shot 100 more times and miss everyone of them. What amazes me it was done with a .50 cal as the .338 lapua is quite a bit more accurate. Scooby

22-Jun-17
Thanks for the clarification Midwest, yeah, that's impressive.

23-Jun-17
A guy on a BC hunting site ran the ballistic tables for a 3450 m shot: Sighted in for 1,000 yards, the bullet dropped another 666' to its point of impact over 2 miles away from the rifle. Dang good range dialing!

23-Jun-17
How big are the tubes on those scopes they're using? How many clicks can they adjust ? Seems like adjusting a scope for a bullet drop of more than 2 football fields would require a heck of a lot of space.

23-Jun-17
You asked how you see a target that far away... In reality he probably couldn't! That's what makes this guy insane! He is the best rifle shot in the world! The Canadians have the best snipers on the planet because of the training and equipment they use. US snipers are more about sneak in, kill and sneak out. We don't really train our snipers for that type of shooting as the Canadians do. Oh and the variables of the shot are staggering, windage, thermals, gravity, barametric pressure, he shot from an elevated position, earth's rotation, heat variables across that two miles effect air density... the list goes on and on!

Scar.

23-Jun-17
The long-distance shot by Aresh, the Persian archer of antiquity beats that... Stood on the top of a mountain named Damovend, and, just as the sun peeped over the horizon, he sent an arrow sailing 500 miles to sink into the banks of the River Gihon at sunset... Then there was Odysseus, using composite bow, made of horn, and such bows made to be of extreme draw-weights are notorious for being extremely difficult to string and use but shoot a long way. Any one take a picture put in on Facebook to confirm??

Modern archery record is something like 1,400 meters (foot), 1,200 meters hand held. The farthest accurate shot in archery under World Archery conditions is 283.47 m (930.04 ft), achieved by Matt Stutzman (USA) paralympic at the TPC Craig Ranch, McKinney, Texas, USA on 9 December 2015.

23-Jun-17
That's insane! Anybody have a link?

23-Jun-17
Brotsky,

Wonder what they do with their scopes in the southern hemisphere to account for the Coriolis effect? Mount them upside down? LOL!

23-Jun-17
I was thinking the same thing as Scooby. Yes it was a great shot, but can he repeat it, at what percentage of success?

23-Jun-17
I wonder if the bullet slowed to the point where the sound wave passed the bullet, and the guy heard the shot before the bullet hit him?

23-Jun-17
The bullet got there in about 8 seconds and the sound in 10 seconds (based on the info on a Canadian hunting forum. I'd expect the rifle was silenced, and at over 2 miles you wouldn't hear much anyway even if it wasn't.

23-Jun-17
Bowfreak, you just click to the left instead of the right:)

23-Jun-17
I wonder what the impact velocity was, I'm guessing it was subsonic and could only imagine what a 1/2" piece of lead would sound like while its buzzing towards my chest.

23-Jun-17
"The Canadians have the best snipers on the planet because of the training and equipment they use. US snipers are more about sneak in, kill and sneak out. We don't really train our snipers for that type of shooting as the Canadians do"

Must have been a French Canadian :)....sorry couldn't resist.

Seriously, that is a very impressive feat. Saw a video a while back from a long rang shot on some Taliban (maybe a mile, don't remember) and I think it took 3 or 4 shots as they were low and they didn't even move and never knew what it was until the last shot connected.

23-Jun-17
The late Chris Kyle could beat this yankee's yankee record

23-Jun-17
99% of the people walking the earth couldn't hit a large vehicle a mile away with one shot much less a person. The discipline is insane, these guys can run 5 miles and sit down for 2 minutes and slow their heartbeat down to around 60-70 BPM. The really good ones can actually time the shot between heartbeats... no movement. Talk about being in the zone!

23-Jun-17
I'd rather be lucky than good. That sniper was good and was lucky at the same time, those are the really dangerous ones. DANNY

23-Jun-17
"they didn't even move and never knew what it was until the last shot connected."

They were to busy molesting goats to notice.

23-Jun-17
Pretty baaaaaad Ohio!!! You're probably right though :)

23-Jun-17
Brotsky,

You make things too simple.

23-Jun-17
Ohiohunter, impact velocity was probably around 875 feet per second.

23-Jun-17

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
This is from Wiki. Don't know how current it is. There is supposed to be a video of the shot....I'd like to see that.

In Canadian service, the standard telescopic sight was the McMillan endorsed Leupold Mark 4-16x40mm LR/T M1 Riflescope optical sight that has now been replaced by the Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 PMII telescopic sight.[citation needed] McMillan also endorses the Nightforce NXS 8–32x56 Mil-dot telescopic sight for the Tac-50.

http://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/products/police-and-military-forces/5-25x56-pm-iilp.html

24-Jun-17
That's crazy. It's like having a spotting scope on your rifle.

24-Jun-17
Repeat it or not, he did it. Dead enemy who was trying to kill guys on our side. It counts. I'm happy for the guy, not ripping into him with , "...but can he repeat it." (And it's quite appropriate this is put under "pigs", BTW. Clever.)

24-Jun-17
Must be the stout beer and moose meat, eh?

24-Jun-17
Just remember the Canadians and the French are 2 miles away from the battle. So every chance they get to take a pot shot they dont have to worry about being shot back. I think we all know how much luck comes in to play with a shot like that. Great shot no doubt, but if it was 20 yards i'd buy him a beer.

24-Jun-17
I know nothing of what snipers shoot... But, am I reading correct that the weapon was basically a 50 cal? If that's what he was shooting... wow - that's a lot of lead flying down range.

Totally with you all, mind boggling to think of the number of variables. Certainly a situation where skill and luck have to mesh, I mean, with 10" flight time, the bad guy could walk several feet - probably PRIOR to even hearing the report of the rifle. Just an absolutely astonishing shot!

24-Jun-17
High altititudes and above normal heat so far here probably helped eek every bit out of that bullet and powder. its an accurized 50. 12.7x99 and its for sure not eating delinked mg ammo. I hope they called in an air strike after so his buddies couldn't run across the border.

25-Jun-17
I'm with Rut Nut. Anyone have a link for more info?

-Joe

25-Jun-17

Pigsticker's embedded Photo
Horus Reticle
Pigsticker's embedded Photo
Horus Reticle
Probably aiming with a science project that looks similar to this.

26-Jun-17

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
Very slight drift. This is a recent pic of the .50's the USCG tactical squadron uses from the helo.

26-Jun-17
APauls, 10 seconds seems about right if my memory is correct. Me and my next oldest brother took my 1975 Bear Polar II compound out into our pasture to see how far up it would shoot... (anybody ever hear about how the part of your brain that evaluates long-term consequences to actions doesn't fully develop in kids until they get to be about 20?) Well, it shot pretty far up, so far up that we lost sight of the light gold colored Bear Magnum aluminum arrow with white vanes. I'd say either 10 seconds, or a lifetime, passed until it screamed back and stuck in the ground about 20 feet away from us. We both looked at it, then at each other, and never did that again.

This shot is unbelievable. It broke the old record by over 1,000 meters. They must have been shooting at a fast-evolving serious threat that forced them to shoot then, instead of trying to close the distance or use another platform to counter it. Again, unbelievable...

26-Jun-17

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
A lot of guys are getting into long range shooting. With the right equipment, it is fairly easy to hit a 1000 yd target. Problem is, it can be very expensive, with rigs costing over $5k easily. I recently found a steal of a deal on a 1 mile gun. It's a 338 lapua magnum and I only gave $950 for it - gun, case, scope, and bipod.

26-Jun-17
JL, that .50 you pictured is the old Barrett M82A1. My friend owns one and I have used it several times. I believe the Canadians used a bolt action TAC .50 to make that 2 mile shot.

26-Jun-17
it is not the gun that you hear being fired that kills you................it is the one that you don't hear

27-Jun-17
Thornton...I'm not an expert on .50's but I believe it is a Barrett. Before I retired that is what they were using...plus an M240. A little real action below related to the above pic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiIcAptWyWA

27-Jun-17
The pic above is a Barrett M82A1. The new ones are M107A and they have a different muzzle brake and a cheek piece behind the scope.

27-Jun-17
The Canadian sniper used a McMillan TAC 50 as Thorton says.

28-Jun-17

midwest's Link
Here's a good link.

28-Jun-17
This is the one I meant to post. Bowsite doesn't like it for some reason...

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/6/25/15863472/canada-sniper-record-two-miles-isis-iraq

28-Jun-17
The picture in the link is a Springfield M1A in .308. I own one of those as well. Not sure why they would post it on an article that specifically says they used a TAC .50

29-Jun-17
As far as who is the best snipers that would not be as 1, 2, 3. Every year in October just across they host the International Sniper Competition. Believe me the U. S. has some excellent snipers. Much like bow hunting most who have not been trained or work closely with these guys can only speculate on the subject. The guy who just wrote the Army Sniper manual sets 40 feet from my desk and he was awed by the shot in ways that most of us would not think about. As for trying to get close to the target that would not be in the best interest of your survivability. You will always see the very longest shots from the larger calibers.

29-Jun-17
I would feel safe saying will not hear much about the real good active duty military snipers. They likely are quiet and do not publicize what they do.

• Sitka Gear