expeditiontraders 03-Jul-17
expeditiontraders 03-Jul-17
Scar Finga 03-Jul-17
Charlie Rehor 03-Jul-17
drycreek 03-Jul-17
JohnB 03-Jul-17
Bushwacker 04-Jul-17
22-Jun-17
I am on my way to RSA for a Cape buffalo hunt with JP Kleinhan's. I am shooting a Mathews Halon 32 set at 74#'s with a FMJ arrow tipped with a Silver Flame 210 grain broadhead. Total arrow weight is 884 grains.

I start hunting on Sunday. I am going to take a day to get my legs under me before we start hunting.

I will update the site as often as I am able.

Life is good.

22-Jun-17
Go get em.

22-Jun-17
Good shooting and lots of pictures thanks and good luck!

22-Jun-17
Looking forward to a hero pic with " Black Death " as the featured attraction ! Good luck !

22-Jun-17
Eric,

Good Luck....aim small, miss small!! I just spent an hour watching cape buffalo bowhunts on Youtube....because of you!!

22-Jun-17
Best of luck!

22-Jun-17
The very best of luck. Hunt safely !!!!

23-Jun-17
Good luck, and shoot straight!

23-Jun-17
JP is a great guy good luck, We have hung out at North Texas outfitters with owner Paul

23-Jun-17
Good luck!

23-Jun-17
Best of luck. Keep us posted.

23-Jun-17
Good Luck, and be safe!!

Can't wait to read about it!

Scar.

23-Jun-17
good luck!!! excited for the pics!

29-Jun-17
This is going to be a little bit of a story. My hunt did not go as expected but that happens in South Africa. The story goes like this. I originally booked a walk and stalk hunt in RSA. When I originally booked we were going to hunt a herd of 60 buffalo on a large concession. I knew it would be fenced. As the hunt got closer it was suggested that we should change concessions. I was told that the new place would be much more bowhunter friendly. I did not realize that I would be hunting a herd of 7 buffalo and I was looking for one particular buffalo. To make a long story short, this set up was not aesthetically pleasing to me. I would rather do it a different time in another location. I have hunted in Africa many times and will do it next year. I have hunted with JP on three different occasions. I am sure he was looking our for my best opportunity and wanted me to be successful. So, my buffalo hunt turned into a walk and stalk hunt for roan and sable.

29-Jun-17
My hunt started off a little surprising. I had been shooting extremely well. After getting settled into camp, I set up my bows and took some practice shots. The very first shot missed a Rhinehart target completely at 20 yards. It took awhile to figure out that the dovetail bar on my CBE TEK Hybrid sight that controls the third axis has loosened. I was missing the target high and right by about 14-18 inches.

I got my bow straightened out and spent the first day hunting buffalo. It was after this day that I realized the situation had changed. Over drinks that night we decided to switch to a sable and roan hunt. I simply took the money I had spend on the buffalo hunt and applied it to the other animals. We could sort of the difference later.

I got out my other bow which is a Mathew Halon set a5 65#'s. I use 2" Killzone broadheads on Easton Axis arrows. My arrows weigh in at 430 grains.

My shooting is great and the hunt is on.

29-Jun-17
My hunt started off a little surprising. I had been shooting extremely well. After getting settled into camp, I set up my bows and took some practice shots. The very first shot missed a Rhinehart target completely at 20 yards. It took awhile to figure out that the dovetail bar on my CBE TEK Hybrid sight that controls the third axis has loosened. I was missing the target high and right by about 14-18 inches.

I got my bow straightened out and spent the first day hunting buffalo. It was after this day that I realized the situation had changed. Over drinks that night we decided to switch to a sable and roan hunt. I simply took the money I had spend on the buffalo hunt and applied it to the other animals. We could sort of the difference later.

I got out my other bow which is a Mathew Halon set a5 65#'s. I use 2" Killzone broadheads on Easton Axis arrows. My arrows weigh in at 430 grains.

My shooting is great and the hunt is on.

29-Jun-17
We drove around for awhile. It took us most of the morning to find a good sable bull to stalk. There is a severe drought in the area and the stalking is extremely difficult. I stalked up on 3 different bulls over the course of the day a few times and could not get close enough. I could get about 120 yards and then they would move slowly out of the area. It was a lot of fun. I put on over 12 miles that day and at least got my steps in.

29-Jun-17

expeditiontraders's embedded Photo
The following day was similar to the first in that I made several stalks. I put in another 10 miles but it was great. I was able to close the distance to 54 yards in the late afternoon. I made a perfect quartering away shot and it was perfect. My sable ran about 120 yards and fell over. It was a lot of fun as he ran right by my ph, JP,. My friend Philipp and the trackers on the truck were able to watch the whole thing from a distance.

29-Jun-17

My sable measured a 41" on one side and 41 1/4" on the other.

Tomorrow we are off for a roan. Life is good.

29-Jun-17
Congrats,

29-Jun-17
Nice Sable , Congrats !

29-Jun-17
Beautiful Sable... What a monster!

29-Jun-17
Go get em!! Beautiful Sable! I love those things!

29-Jun-17
That is a beautiful animal! Congratulations and way to stick to your personal lines!

29-Jun-17
What a stunning Sable! Congrats!

29-Jun-17
Wow... great Sable. Good luck with the Roan. Sorry about the Buff fiasco... I pretty sure I would be very pissed.

29-Jun-17
Good job.

29-Jun-17
Congrats !

29-Jun-17
Beautiful Sable!

29-Jun-17
Congratulations on the Sable, great looking animal and what an accomplishment. Waiting on the rest of the story.....

29-Jun-17
Great looking animal. Congrats. Awaiting !!

29-Jun-17
Really nice sable, congrats on the spot and stalk and perfect shot!

01-Jul-17
Awesome!!

03-Jul-17
I started out for Roan the following day. They were somewhat easier to find and the stalk was on. I was able to use the terrain to close the distance to 52 yards in about an hour. I simply kept the brush in front of me and moved while he was looking away. There were six Roan in the group, so I had a lot of eyes to deal with.

I drew and released. The shot felt good but I hit him in the neck. It was a clean pass through and there was a fair amount of blood. We decided to leave him overnight and hope for the best. It sucked.

03-Jul-17
When we got back to camp. I shot an arrow to check everything out. I missed high and right. My sight moved the same as on my other bow. In both cases the sight rotated at the third axis leveling adjustment. I assumed the first one happened in transit as the airlines could be a little rough. However, this one moved while stalking. I hand carried it in the truck. It was fine in the miring when we started out. It is the same model sight that I used in my buffalo bow. However, this was a completely different sight and a different bow. I Usually take two bows on a hunt that are set up similarly. The one was set at 65# and was a Mathews Halon. It is last years model.

I kamvery disappoint d with the sight. I will be calling them when I get back as I believe it is a design flaw.

03-Jul-17

Philipp with my Roan.
Philipp with my Roan.
In any event, we found my Roan the following day and it was still going strong. However, it had moved into a wide open area and was not stalkabke where it was. I tried to close the gap but could not get closer than 150 yards. In addition, I was running out of time. I had other commitments and a plane to catch.

My buddy Philipp was along and I asked him to shoot it with a rifle. He was very happy to as he had never taken a Roan. I didn't keep right doing it as I was not familiar with the rifle. In addition, I had already blown my chance.

That is the end of the story. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

I know some of you will criticize my shot distance. I won't change your mind as to what is ethical and I won't try.

I can assure everyone that shot is well within my capabilities and I would have made it without the equipment failure. It sucks and I wish it didn't happen.

Good luck everyone with your upcoming hunts.

My next hunt is with Mike's Outfitting for moose.

03-Jul-17
Bad stuff happens, anyone who says they haven't been there is either a liar or hasn't hunted very long. the same thing can happen with rifles or whatever! You did great and thank you for sharing and being honest! No Shame in my opinion! just a little bit of Murphy!

Congratulations on your beautiful animals and a job well done!

Best of luck, and God Bless,

Scar.

03-Jul-17
You'll have a great trip with Mike! Continued success! C

03-Jul-17
I wish you had gotten your Roan, but crap happens and sometimes it ain't good. At least the wounded animal was put down. Scar said it best, if it hasn't happened to you, then........

03-Jul-17
I guess I am not the only one with bad luck. Beautiful animals congrats!

04-Jul-17
Ditto, crap happens. And it might just happen to me on my next hunt. Enjoyed reading the story.

05-Jul-17
Great story, thanks for sharing. Good luck on your moose hunt!

• Sitka Gear