My sable: 43" on each 10.25" bases
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
My sable: 43" on each 10.25" bases
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
my second gemsbok bull
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
my second gemsbok bull
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
finally took a zebra which has been eluding me for years.
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
finally took a zebra which has been eluding me for years.
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Third impala this one just shy of 25"
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Third impala this one just shy of 25"
We just returned from our S African tour and hunt with Choronga and it was excellent on all accounts. Not our first time with Evan and Mia so we knew how good it can be for bowhunters, but he is busy expanding and his blind concepts are evolving as well. Some of the best designed bowhunting blinds I've seen and they are building several new ones that are even better than his current set-ups. His attention to detail for bowhunters shows in his results. It's only getting better as he grows his operations. I would estimate he has expanded his hunting concessions by a factor of 2 or 3 since we were last there in 2011. Accommodations have also improved with investments to his own properties and on concessions. Three of us were on a smokin sable package (one of us rifle hunted). Included in this were two nights & 2.5 days touring of Kruger from southern end to nearly the northern end. That in itself was a real bargain and turned out great. Our PH driver/tour guide was awesome. The hunt originally was for 8 days but we added another day to that for a minimal fee. All ground transportation was included as were lodging, food, trackers, skinners, housekeeping, and PHs (one on one). They know how to treat their guests and it showed once again on this trip. All three of us took our sable. All were over 40" and older bulls. In addition, the others both took excellent warthogs, steenbok and duikers, plus the rifle hunter took both a black and common springbok. My other buddy took a nice gemsbok too. I managed to take a big impala, excellent common reedbuck another gemsbok and a zebra in addition to the sable. We were treated to great food by our drum playing multi-talented chef (Alec) and liberal libations prepared by our PHs nightly. Your glass is never empty at Choronga. They are dedicated to bowhunters for sure but can accommodate other weapons if need be like for our other friend. His dangerous game operations are also improved and he has numerous buffalo taken by bow each season. Some plus his leapords are taken in Zimbabwe on an exceptional concession his buddy owns. If that is an interest they will work with you and Griz Sticks to come up with the perfect arrow and bow set up for you prior to coming. Evan grew up in the States and is fully cognizant of what US hunters need and want in their African experience. Paying was easy with a personal check for the final balance due. We opted to prepay most of our anticipated hunt expenses with a bank transfer to his BA account in Texas prior making it easy all around. We would again highly recommend Choronga as a bowhunter's destination in South Africa. I'll try to post some pics of our hunt as I get them from my friends.

30-Jun-17

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Old thick reedbuck ram
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Old thick reedbuck ram
some other pics

30-Jun-17
Congratulations Rich. Awesome animals!

30-Jun-17
Awesome Man! Congratulations!

Beautiful animals!

Scar.

30-Jun-17
I am sooo jealous, I want a gemsbock on my wall. Looked like a great trip.

30-Jun-17
Wow, nice animals! Congrats Rich!

30-Jun-17
What a trip! Thanks for all the info and updates

01-Jul-17
Great trophies. Congrats

02-Jul-17
Congratulations Rich!

02-Jul-17
Looks like a great trip, Rich. Congrats, especially on the sable!

02-Jul-17
Yes I sure lucked out on that sable! Thx

05-Jul-17
Congratulations on a awesome adventure, beautiful trophies. Forrest

05-Jul-17
Beautiful animals Rich! Congrats on a great trip!

05-Jul-17
Glad you had a great time. I hunted with Evan also a couple years ago and it was my first african safari. My wife and i were blown away on how well we were treated by Evan, Mia and the whole crew. Hoping to get back and do a buffalo hunt. Thanks for sharing your trip.

06-Jul-17
Nice Reedbuck Rich. God Job !

06-Jul-17
Nice Reedbuck Rich. Good Job !

06-Jul-17

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Some other trophies my buddy Jonathan took on our hunt. His thick, worn sable was really old and going downhill.

06-Jul-17

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
duiker
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
duiker
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
For reference, this one was right at 40" on each.
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
For reference, this one was right at 40" on each.

16-Jul-17
Beautiful critters!

Jonathan's Sable looks to be a pretty pure Matetsi -- getting much more rare these days with so much Zambian bloodline introduced in recent years.

Your Impala is a true slammer - I've only seen Impala that size in certain areas of Limpopo.

Congrats!

17-Jul-17
A-Z Rich Congrats! Awesome animals. I bowhunted with Choronga in 2010 or 12. I would return in a second. Fantastic operation. Huge quality of animals. Is Wiliam Drummond still with them?

17-Jul-17
From my understanding, William has moved from Choronga and may not even be involved in hunting as a PH with his current employment.

17-Jul-17
William moved on to Mumembe Ranch in Zambia, all reports indicate it was a first class operation -- but think he's moved on from there as well.

• Sitka Gear