Tilzbow 27-Feb-18
elkstabber 28-Feb-18
Trial153 28-Feb-18
Tilzbow 28-Feb-18
Amoebus 28-Feb-18
Tilzbow 28-Feb-18
Shrewski 01-Mar-18
08-Jul-17
Ok so I'm needing to know what the best spotting scope is? The only limitation is that I don't want it exceedingly heavy in case I ever need to pack it in a ways. Also, what's the best window mount and tripod to get? I know there are some quality cheaper brands, but for this case I'm not interested. I want the best of the best.

08-Jul-17
NIGHTFORCE is the best I've ever looked through. Not the lightest, not the most hyped in hunting circles. But, after looking through one, I understand why the long distance shooting guys I know, prefers them.

08-Jul-17
I use a magnesium body Swaro 20-60 x 65 mm HD angled. It does what I need for sheephunting in the pack as well as in the quad/truck. It is 6 years old but still is great glass.

As per a tripod I use a heavy Manfrotto/Bogen aluminum tripod with the pistol grip head from the truck or quad. Backpacking I have stuck with a cheap ballhead Slick Sprint Pro II with the center extension removed. It is light and set up with the legs wide (second notch) it is stable from sitting (not standing). I'd like to try an Outdoorsman medium with a pistol grip or Promaster XC525C with an Outdoorsman head but haven't done it yet. The Slick works well enough. Good luck with your choices!

09-Jul-17
I have essentially the same setup as Kurt (including a Manfrotto tripod), as well as a pair of 10x42 Swarovski ELs. Binocs are circa 2008 and the spotting scope 2013. Excellent quality. I'm not familiar with Nightforce.

09-Jul-17
I have a brand new Leica spotting scope I will sell if anyone is interested .

09-Jul-17
For the ease of carry, size, price, pardon the pun but you could look far and wide to outdo the Leupold Golden Ring, 12-40x60mm HD.

09-Jul-17
Just about every sheep/goat Guide I've had uses the 20x60x65 Swarovski with an Outdoorsman tri-pod. That speaks volumes. I run the same in 80mm.

09-Jul-17
Swarovski 20-60 with 80mm lens

26-Feb-18
Bump. I’m about to buy the best scope available. Just wanted to see if anyone has used the Kowa 77mm. Some opinions I trust have told me it outperforms Swarovski 65 and hangs right with the 80mm swaro only is lighter and more pack able. Any opinions greatly appreciated

26-Feb-18
Besides weight, consider shape. I've got a Nikon that I like for packing because it's narrow profile slips in a pack side pocket for quick access. My Leopold is blocky and I don't pack it. Neither are top line/price but have served me well.

26-Feb-18
I'd have to agree that the Swaro 20 x 60 is the best of the best. I use a Gitzo tripod and mount. It's nice having quick release to go from tripod to window mount.

26-Feb-18
Kowa is a good scope but Swarovski optics are significantly better IMO. I have 80mm and a 65mm HD with 25-50x eyepiece and a 25x LER eyepiece that I can swap as needed. Kowa ss are used by lots of high power shooters but the service I’ve gotten from Swarovski is unmatched.

27-Feb-18
Best available? I don't think you can beat an ATX/STX Swaro in 95mm on an Outdoorsman tripod system.

I use the 80mm Swaro and am looking for an excuse to buy the 95.

27-Feb-18
I absolutely love my Swarovski 65mm HD. Have the 25x and 20-60x eyepieces and Manfroto tripod. I backpack with mine a lot for hunting.

I also have the 10x42 ELs and 15x56’s as well. Sent the binos in last year for cleaning an the customer service was unbelievable!

27-Feb-18
Love my Vortex Razor HD, plus Vortex rocks, they take care of there customer and stand behind there name. Great company and great scopes!

27-Feb-18
I have an older Kowa. Lifetime warranty. Internals began fogging up so contacted Kowa, with copy of receipt and copy of their warranty. "We don't have parts for that model anymore, but we'll gladly sell you a new model for ~25% off". Which is barely lower than I could get it for from various online retailers. Methinks you should be looking at brands other than Kowa...

27-Feb-18
After seeing my buddies vortex glass fog up on a canadian bush moose hunt I was sure happy to have my Swaro. A great warranty and customer service means nothing if the glass fails 500 miles from nowhere!!

27-Feb-18
Vortex has pretty decent service, but have seen several failures in the field with binoculars and scopes. I would not trust them for hard use.

27-Feb-18
Appreciate the input guys. I've read a number of head to head reviews of the Kowas against the Swaros and the kowa wins every time. I was just hoping somebody here had used both. I've got no preference on brand, I just want the best. It definitely isn't the scope they made years ago. Things change. I'm at least open to the idea that swaro may not be the best anymore. Vortex is not in the running though I've got nothing against the company.

27-Feb-18
Swaro is the best. And they have the best warranty and customer service out there. They just don’t make a big deal about their warranty.

27-Feb-18
Will, you've probably seen this but there was a good side by side review on rockslide. He compared the 88's but if you haven't seen it yet, worth a read. Hope you get what you are after, its a big decision for sure. Let us know what you end up going with if you don't mind. http://www.rokslide.com/swarovski-atx85-kowa-884/

27-Feb-18
I spent over 60 days this fall with a spotting scope in my pack, and got tired of the weight. I bought an Althon Ares and was extremely pleased with its performance while I chased cous and desert mulies. A third of the weight and several guys using it liked it as well.

27-Feb-18
Mine.

27-Feb-18
Top end scopes by Zeiss, Leica, Swaro and Kowa all have great glass. It comes down to personal preference and ergonomics.

28-Feb-18
I've owned Swaro and Leica spotters. My personal opinion is that the Leica is better glass because of the better colors definition. But Leica's lack of customer service scared me so I only own a Swaro spotter (25-50x65 angled) now. I can't see ever "upgrading" from this spotter.

28-Feb-18
I have Swaro ATS 65mm ...great scope and served me well. Last winter i also used a pair of kowas, the 55mm and 85 mm and honestly they are a nice as my swaro. I am going to be picking up the TSN 550 and selling my ATS. You cant go wrong with spotter from Swaro, Zeiss, leica or the hige end Kowa. I have used most of whats out at this time and it becomes more a question of size,weight and needs and ergonomics.

28-Feb-18
I’ve had one experience with Leica Customer Service. Was packing for a Dall Sheep Hunt, dropped my Leica binoculars and broke the eye piece. Called Leica and the lady I talked to got one shipped FedEx and I had it the next day.

28-Feb-18
otcWill - I have both the kowa (85) and swaro (65). I liked the price on the kowa and use it for any stationary birding/hunting where weight isn't an issue but the glass/coating isn't as good as the swaro.

I was a little surprised at the prices on the outdoorsman tripods and just assumed that they were composite (I believe that they are aluminum). I can get a lighter carbon tripod from Slik with about the same dimensions for $200 less. Are the sheep guides getting them for free or why are they recommended?

28-Feb-18
I've had two Outdoorsmans tripods, sold both and replaced with Sirui Carbon tripods but I did keep the Outdoorsmans pan heads and I think they're the best made. I prefer the Sirui tripods. I think the carbon is quieter than the aluminum, I like the locking mechanisms on the Sirui better and they're more compact (they fold over the top), lighter and just as, if not more, sturdy. Sirui are made in China though...

01-Mar-18
I have a Zeiss Diascope. I’ve compared it to Swarovski and Leica. I can’t tell enough difference between them to say one is better than the other but I can say you cannot gobwrong with any of those 3.

• Sitka Gear