Topgun 30-06 08-Jul-17
hunter1 08-Jul-17
NSA4EVER 14-Aug-18
splitlimb13 14-Aug-18
splitlimb13 14-Aug-18
splitlimb13 14-Aug-18
NSA4EVER 15-Aug-18
08-Jul-17
Any advice on areas to check out,Or tanks that are semi remote that you have seen elk hit?I have been down to the unit twice ,and will be going down a few more times.1st time drawing this unit.any advice greatly appreciated,Also can share info on most northern units.I spend a lot of time in 52 been very successful.Antelope ,and elk . Thanks

08-Jul-17
Can I assume you're talking about the Gila in NM?

08-Jul-17
yes NM

14-Aug-18
I drew 16a rifle season. Wish I was bowhunting the rut for this hunt but after 20 years applying I will not complain. I have detailed maps of the entire unit. Any advice for areas to scout would be greatly appreciated. I know things change when the bulls peel away from the cows but want a few good areas to glass from hunters who have hunted this unit. I have only 5 days during my season to make things happen but want to put in the necessary research and scouting to improve my chances with connecting. I would like to set a goal at finding a 350+ bull but will lower my expectations daily if necessary. Are 330+ bulls a reasonable expectation for this unit? I have harvested large bulls in other states just curious about NM’s 16a. Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions offered.

14-Aug-18
You're crazy thinking you may have to lower your expectations! Also why do you assume the bulls are going to be peeled off the cows? I commented on your NM thread also.

14-Aug-18
Sorry different person posted in the NM thread . Disregard my last sentence.

14-Aug-18
Okay sorry to the original poster disregard the last sentence lol. Nate that post was for you!

15-Aug-18
Splitlimb13 I really appreciate your comment and confidence that I can hold out for a big one. I don’t want to eat tag soup so I’ll hold out for as long as possible searching for that dream Gila bull. I hunt other states a lot and when the hunt is later, say October and November the rutting activity drastically reduces with each passing day unless a second estrus happens. I know the rut can be triggered by weather so to forecast that the rut will be completely over was a misstatement. I just need to be prepared for tough conditions if they aren’t talking. The bigger bulls in some of these premier areas I have hunted tend to be quiet and it requires a lot of glassing to find them. Again, thanks for your comment and any advice you can offer.

• Sitka Gear