Sage Buffalo 14-Jul-17
cnelk 14-Jul-17
Crusader dad 14-Jul-17
PoudreCanyon 15-Jul-17
Native Okie 15-Jul-17
11-Jul-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
As pronghorn season is getting closer, just a fun little thread to see who shoots or passes on this buck.

Scenario: Wyoming 1 PP unit. Opening day-noon. 35yds. 80 degrees. Sitting in a. blind, wind blowing 15-20mph from left to right.

Shoot or pass? Feel free to place a dot where you would aim

Anyone?

11-Jul-17
Can't see them but if he has decent prongs SHOOT.

11-Jul-17
Since I have never got a pronghorn with my bow, I'm letting fly.

11-Jul-17

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Too far for me in that situation but he's big enough for me. I likely wouldn't shoot but here's where I would aim.

11-Jul-17
Shoot trad I'd have to wait, not because of yardage but wind age, bit to much for the distance. At the waters edge I'd kill it.

11-Jul-17
That's a dead goat if I'm in that blind. If I didn't shoot in 20mph wind I'd never shoot all year here on the prairie! Everything about my set-up is built to shoot in the wind. Heavy, small diameter, high speed arrow.

11-Jul-17
Definitely shooting, I practice at that range on a pronghorn 3D target almost daily.

15 to 20 mph wind will have little effect at that distance with my setup. I'd deflate his lungs.

Best of Luck, Jeff

11-Jul-17
I won't shoot over 60 under any circumstances, even when I'm shooting well at 80 yards.

11-Jul-17
Without hesitation! Hoping to have the same scenario next year in living color.

11-Jul-17
X2 Scoot-Hopefully,I am in a blind so concern is wind effect on arrow. I am shooting.

11-Jul-17
I'm shooting. definitely tall enough for me and looks like the prong is above the ear. 35 yds with that wind is fine for my set-up with wind- injexion arrow with low profile Heat vane.

11-Jul-17
Ike, he wrote 35 yards... relax.

I'd pass... 1st day of a 14 day hunt, why screw it up. Ed F

11-Jul-17
I think Idyll was saying he needs the air temp 60 or under:)

11-Jul-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
never was a head gear hunter. He's getting one sent his way.. I've been in this situation & actually waited for them to come into the water. Ended with a 20 yd kill.

11-Jul-17
Shoot him, then head to the mountains to scout for elk ;)

11-Jul-17
I like to eat pronghorn so I probably would have already shot.

11-Jul-17
I'd shoot too, but not at Glunt's green dot. Tight behind the shoulder is where I'm aiming. That goat is broadside, just his head is turned.

11-Jul-17
Drycreek, I believe Glunt's aimpoint was based on wind blowing from left to right 20mph, so it would push the arrow right into the boiler. It all depends on how much the wind affects your particular setup.

11-Jul-17
Aim a little more forward. That shot might get you the paunch if it hits a rib.

11-Jul-17
In a 1 pp unit thats a nice goat. Not a great goat but not a crap goat either. If there are plenty of antelope in the area and dry weather is predicted, I'd pass because a better one will show.

11-Jul-17
#1 ROOKIE mistake is shooting an antelope when it's not to the water yet. Rarely does an antelope come all the way into water and not drink (unless it's the rut).

My buddy and I watched a hole one day as we drove to ours and a goat was approaching the water and at 50 yards the goat stops to look (as they always do) and he shoots and misses.

Had he been patient that antelope would have come in at 15 yards.

11-Jul-17
I missed the 35 part and only saw the 80. Believe me Ed, I'm relaxed.

11-Jul-17
Here is a sort video clip of the same buck - It may help some decide if they want to shoot or pass...excuse some of the language :)

11-Jul-17
I shoot right where glunts dot is. If I can't draw my bow by then and I'm using my sons then no, I don't shoot. At 35 lbs. his is a 20yd max bow.

11-Jul-17

11-Jul-17
I shoot around a 500 gr arrow at 170 something with 5" fletch and a solid 2 blade. My dot is where I would aim (as instructed) not where I want to hit :^)

I may not even be far enough left. Thats why the shot is probably a pass for me.

I didn't shoot him at the water because I was napping and by the time woke up and got ready he was on his way out :^)

11-Jul-17
Pass, but it many parts of Wyoming that's a pretty good buck.

11-Jul-17
Says the world record pronghorn holder.... Every antelope must look disappointing to you Marvin! Ed F

11-Jul-17
Anybody that passes that buck on a 1 point unit hasn't been to a 1 point unit.

11-Jul-17
I'll be sitting this water hole, or one very close to on Aug 19 in WY. If a buck of this caliber comes in Im shooting my first pronghorn buck with a bow

11-Jul-17
Looking at the first picture and not getting a decent view of the prongs I was going to pass. After seeing the same buck in the video and taking into account that it took 1 pp I'd take the shot. I'm leaving in 3 weeks for a hunt that took me 18 pp and would pass that buck on the first day and hope that I didn't regret it :)

12-Jul-17
Thats a big bodied buck...goes 14 1/2-15 inches won't beat it many places...shoot

12-Jul-17
Even 1 pt units can have big bucks. He looks closer to 13 to me if that. Ears are 6 inches he has about twice his ear length. Not a bad bow buck by any means. Looks like an active waterhole , wait for a bigger one.

12-Jul-17
I'm headed out this year on my first antelope hunt. I'd kill that guy in a heartbeat

12-Jul-17
After the video and a better look I'd probably shoot that goat if he came to water. I wouldn't shoot him at 35 yards. It would be hard to shoot right off the bat opening morning as I really enjoy watching antelope and my hunt would be over. Pretty buck for sure.

12-Jul-17
Bake x 2. I'm going this year for the first time and would defintely shoot that one.

12-Jul-17
Nope....I need him closer.

12-Jul-17
BTW after the video do not shoot this antelope the first day. He looks big but he isn't as big as you think - his tops don't curl back much but has good height and prongs look good.

I've shot antelope like this and they can score ok but if you are looking for a good mount goats that have horns that curl back (especially with ivory) look awesome.

Plus another buck is coming in behind those does so I would want to look at him first.

12-Jul-17
The buck was taken a couple mins later when the does came into the water hole, bringing the buck back in for the shot

12-Jul-17
Nice! Anyone put a tape on him? I would guess 14" and mid 70s.

12-Jul-17
If he is that big Glunt I am an idiot for passing.

12-Jul-17
Could be wrong. Less hook and prongs might knock it down a bit. I really only have two scores: Shoot and Pass. :^)

And most legal ones in range fit the the former.

12-Jul-17
I'll see if I can get some pics of the euro mount and post them up.

12-Jul-17
Glunt,

I don't know either....I am just saying if he is that big I am an idiot.

12-Jul-17
There are 12 measurements on an antelope and 10 of them are affected by mass. Extra horn or prong length don't do near as much for the score as does mass that runs the length of the horn. He is fairly thin the entire length. I also agree with Bowfreak and Sage Buffalo. I would want to get a better look at the one on the horizon, which would almost surely come in with other antelope at the water. And, if you kill first thing opening morning, you mist a LOT of antelope watching, which is really the most fun part of the hunt.

12-Jul-17
Glunt, your setup, which I didn't know, never entered my mind. Now that I know, I agree. I probably should have said that I have taken that shot in the past, at ranges farther than 35 yd. , but I was pulling 70 lb. then. Now, at 58 lb. , I might have to rethink 35 yd. and a 20 mph wind, even with a 450gr. FMJ. Hell, I might even rethink 35 yd. with no wind !

I heartily agree on your two scores also, shoot or pass ! I'll steal that phrase if you don't mind........

12-Jul-17

12yards's embedded Photo
12yards's embedded Photo
I'm shooting.

12-Jul-17
Stick: You are 100% right. Unless you have another tag for deer I recommend never tagging out the first morning as these hunts usually take place in areas where there's little else to do. Unless it's a true giant.

So why not get great video and pics and tag out another day (unless rain is coming). Unless it's a buck over 74+inches you won't really be able to tell between a 65-70 inch buck anyway.

12-Jul-17
Yardage is OK. It's the 20 mph crosswind that scares me. Not enough practice in those conditions.

12-Jul-17
My 1st hunt was drawn with no points & we had some real nice Bucks. Buddy took a P&Y & everyone filled tags. Last year we burned FIVE points & NEVER saw 1 P&Y or many Bucks period. 5 guys, 5 Bucks & 4 Doe tags. 3 Bucks 2 Does taken. Not the greatest for what we thought with 5 points would be good.

12-Jul-17
He's on the grill immediately.

12-Jul-17
We're looking for something bigger this year, Cnelk! That said, I would shoot him (again). do you still have the photo of him next to the eagle? That might help them judge.

13-Jul-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
A couple euro mount pics. Anyone change their mind?

13-Jul-17
Only reason for me not to shoot is maybe just not right shot in reality? !4 inch good prongs and yes mid 70's as I see it. If there were bigger in area maybe a passs in hopes but lets not let greed cloud any sound judgement s. Easier said then done I understand that also.

13-Jul-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
After the buck was shot it ran off a ways and went down. We waited a bit and in the meantime a golden eagle spotted the animal and decided to land and check it out , which was pretty cool

14-Jul-17
About half the time, I'd expect him to take 2 steps forward while the arrow is in flight and laugh at you. But he's definitely a shooter. I'd take the shot, but if I hit him, it would not surprise me to hit him in the left side. Their reaction time is unbelievable.

14-Jul-17
Wherever you hunt, spend some time driving around for a bit ... you'll get a good idea of what the bucks in that area are looking like. It's usually pretty obvious after a couple hours what class of bucks one should target.

Cnelk, we should have a good time up there this year. Dry conditions, and heat, should concentrate the animals, and keep them coming in for water.

14-Jul-17
With every pic he gets bigger. Nice goat.

14-Jul-17
So what did he end up scoring?

14-Jul-17
I know Cnelk put a tape to him ... but I honestly can't remember the number.

14-Jul-17
1st day pass as I am more comfortable at shorter distance (inside 30 yds) last day of hunt I shoot.

14-Jul-17
"I know Cnelk put a tape to him ... but I honestly can't remember the number."

^^^^ Me neither^^^^

I do remember it was one helluva fun day

14-Jul-17
If I am in the blind that's a dead buck. My aim point would be similar to 12 yards. Even if it's the first day of a 14 day hunt. I would be heading to Ne to continue chasing antelope within hours after the buck was dead.

Nice Buck Cnelk!

14-Jul-17
Id be flinging an arrow at that one.

14-Jul-17
Nice goat! Terrible pictures. Fun post.

That golden eagle is AMAZING!!!! It's bigger than the antelope!!!!

He's likely a shooter now that I see him (if I knew this was a big goat for the area but if I knew bigger roamed I would pass the first day) - looks about 70-72 inches.

14-Jul-17
Sorry, but he scored more than 70-72" in the Spoon and Crockpot Recipe Book

14-Jul-17
I've never killed an antelope. I practice in the wind. I don't need a trophy and I'd take that shot on the first day or the last.

15-Jul-17
I'd shoot in a heartbeat. No hesitation. Poudre

15-Jul-17
"I won't shoot over 60 under any circumstances, even when I'm shooting well at 80 yards"

Truth is your probably not shooting well at 80 if you wouldn't take a 60 yard shot under any circumstances.

• Sitka Gear