Kurt 18-Feb-19
ohiohunter 18-Feb-19
Matt 18-Feb-19
Kurt 18-Feb-19
Mark Watkins 19-Feb-19
RutnStrut 19-Feb-19
ohiohunter 19-Feb-19
12-Jul-17
In putting together a 450 gr arrow I keep hearing good things about the small diameter piledrivers.I know very little about this arrow have any of you guys or gals had much experience with them.What type of insert does it take.Just checking around.Thanks Lewis

12-Jul-17
I've used the CX, PileDriver, Pass Thru Extremes for the last 5 years with excellent success. The insert is half in, half out (weighs 45 grains) and takes regular broadheads (no need to switch broadheads). This year CX has introduced the Maxima Red (SD) (small diameter) as a second option. The Piledrivers are less expensive. My total arrow weight with a 100 grain broadhead is 430 grains. Good luck. C

12-Jul-17
I am using the Black Eagle Spartan which is a smaller diameter shaft. I do seem to get better penetration with the 17/64 diameter shaft. The physics do seem to make sense.

My TAW is just under 500gr and they hit like a tank even from my 60lb bow and a 28" draw. I am however going to try the 19/64 Black Eagle Outlaw shafts which are 8.6gpi instead of 8.0 and adding less weight ending around 470gr. At the price of these I cant pass them up as I just paid $60 a dozen delivered with factory crests, blazers and inserts. Building them as soon as the weights arrive.

12-Jul-17
I am a long time Easton FMJ shooter but the Gold Tip Kinetics have sparked my interest lately. Definitely worth a look! Once you go with a thin diameter arrow I would be surprised if you switched back. The results will speak for themselves.

12-Jul-17
Victory VAP's are what I switched to 4 or 5 years ago. Best arrow I have ever shot as far as durability, straightness, and definitely penetration.

12-Jul-17
I kind of went "full circle" and went back to my old faithful ACC 3-60's.

12-Jul-17
Micro diameter shafts are the only shaft I'll shoot now. The Gold Tip Pierce and Kinetics are one of the top micro diameter shafts. I shoot them out of my stickbows and they allow me to shoot a stiffer shaft cause they lay closer to center and recover quicker from paradox. I'm shooting Bloodsport shafts now and have two dozen of the new Timber Wolves coming my way. Spend the money and upgrade to the Firenock half outs and you'll enjoy the smaller diameter shafts even more.

12-Jul-17
I too switched to VAP's...owned a large pro shop, was top 10 Carbon Express dealer. Shot everything I could find including Easton HIT system arrows and hands down, VAP penetrated 30% deeper...pounded it out of the plywood and shot it again. No problem pass thru's on elk, just works!

12-Jul-17
Goldtip Platinum Pierce arrows for me. Min weigh 450 grains. They shooy lights out. Very tough arrows

12-Jul-17
Got some arrows in a trade called pork chop.they hit hard.

12-Jul-17
I shot the micro diameter arrows many years ago for about 8 yrs-

I will never shoot a shaft that takes an outsert again...for multiple reasons. The 5mm dia are the best of all worlds, IMO.

13-Jul-17
Another nod for the VAP arrows. Super Slim and deadly.

13-Jul-17
What vanes are you guys using on these arrows?

13-Jul-17
The Pork Chops were Beman ICS shafts with a higher gpi. Not a micro diameter shaft.

13-Jul-17
Another nod for VAP's.

13-Jul-17
Tobinsghost: I am using Flex Fletch SK 300s on the BE Spartans.

13-Jul-17
Victory RIP Elites. My favorite arrow for hunting.

13-Jul-17

Rayzor's embedded Photo
My Rayzor-VPA Custom Shop 6 Series 2 blades in 100, 125 and 150gr. Designed for use with Easton Deep Six . System includes the footers.
Rayzor's embedded Photo
My Rayzor-VPA Custom Shop 6 Series 2 blades in 100, 125 and 150gr. Designed for use with Easton Deep Six . System includes the footers.

Rayzor's Link
I've tried quite a few different reduced and micro diameters. GT Kinetic, and Traditional Classic; Easton Axis, FMJ, Injexion, and Deep Six FMJ; Carbon Express PTX; Victory RIP and VAP; Beeman Nightfall; Black Eagle Rampage; RUSH (Australian Shaft that no longer offered)

Honestly, I like them all but have comments on all of them too.

I liked the Carbon Express PTX half outsert the best. Use a footer across it for the toughest set up. I wish they made shaft specific halfouts as they are sized to the 350s. Footing across them on 400s doesn't allow for a close tolerence footer.

Accutoughs work well, especially the new Stainless model which I like MUCH better than the aluminum version. Ditto on using footers. The only complaint I have is I don't know why GT makes the OD of the Accutoughs they supply with the shafts oversized compared to the OD of the shaft. If buying as seperate components use the size small for the aluminum or the 600 spine model in the stainless model so you can run the closest tolerence footer.

If you are running HITs always use a footer. They will drive back and bloom the shaft on a hard impact if you don't. Absolutely kills penetration. That applies to the Eastons and and other shaft you might decide to run HITs in. Running HITs in BE Rampages is a popular hybrid.

VAP and RIP use the Shok outsert rather than the older TopHat style. The new Shok design outsert is far better and lends itself to easier footing.

15-Jul-17
Does the maxima red ad require an outsert Lewis

18-Feb-19
Victory VAP's with either the Firenock outsert or the Victory SS outsert.

18-Feb-19
VAP shooter here too! I use the 95 grain Titanium inserts & 100 grain heads, 420-425 total arrow weight! One tough arrow! I use 3 - 2" blazers!

ElkNut/Paul

18-Feb-19
If I'm shooting micro diameter shafts, it's either Storm from Elemant Archety or Gold Tip Pierce shafts. I use the titanium half outs from Firenock of the new static adjustable half outs from Ehthics Archery. I'm really liking the Ethics Archery components.

18-Feb-19
I have been using Victory Archery, VAPS, arrows since 2016 on all of my bowhunts. I have had great results on everything from my small Coues deer to larger animals, including Muskox, Brown Bear, Elk, etc.

18-Feb-19
I'm with Beendare, I like the axis 5mm. Better penetration than "standard", potential box store availability in a pinch, no outserts, not stupid on price, and they offer 0.001's. While I know the potential of shrooming the end, I have not had any issues to date. I may start footing them.

18-Feb-19
After going "full circle" (always going back to ACC's), I ordered Victory VAP TKO Elites this week to try. They look to be like a great "micro" option. Have never tried the skinny Carbon Express arrows...

18-Feb-19
I've shot the Easton Injexion 330's for the past four years...very accurate and very durable.

However, I have not been able to find a strong enough lighted nock (for white tail hunts) so just bought 6 Victory TKO RIP 300 (and 3 nockturnal X lighted nocks) with the 60 GR steel insert/outsert a month ago.

Testing has gone well so far..accurate, strong and the nockturnals have held up.

Mark

18-Feb-19
I shoot the VAP Victory Elite .166 with the stainless steel outsert. They are somewhere in the 450 grain range with a 100 grain point. They shoot well and are more durable than the ACC shafts. I went to the archery shop and asked for the best hunting arrow - that is what they suggested. Good luck in your search.

18-Feb-19
Same as Mark...Carbon Injexion 330's have worked very well since 2013 for me. Very durable, accurate, etc. I use Firenock outserts (34 gr) so that I can use regular threaded broadheads as I am not a fan of the thin shanked and threaded Deep-6 broadheads. I do put the Easton D-6 inserts into the shafts at the stock location, as they reinforce the shaft and add a bit (20 gr) of weight. I install the outserts with Bohning Hotmelt glue (don't overheat the shaft or the outsert). I always spin test each outsert with a field point while assembling them to insure they are installed optimally. Good luck!

18-Feb-19
To all that shoot micro diameter shafts, how are you fletching them, Helical?

18-Feb-19
I use a Arizona EZ fletch mini, lots of helical even on the skinny shafts.

Carbon injexions 330's here, trying the Easton titanium half out's and they have been plenty durable thus far.

18-Feb-19
As much helical as a Bitzenburger will put on with Blazer vanes, same as regular carbons or 23/15s for that matter.

19-Feb-19
AZ Mini puts 2" VaneTec's on with great helical....

Mark

19-Feb-19
I also use the AZ Minni with helical on my VAP's.

19-Feb-19
If memory serves me (semi)correctly, those old original beemans we not fun to fletch on my bitz.. thats why I ask.

• Sitka Gear