ATE 02-May-19
Mule Power 02-May-19
t-roy 02-May-19
IdyllwildArcher 02-May-19
Mule Power 03-May-19
bfisherman11 03-May-19
IdyllwildArcher 04-May-19
13-Jul-17
Do any of you moose or caribou hunters plan to use Alaska Express Trucking this 2017 fall hunting season to transport your meat, rack, cape etc? I'm planning to use them and live in Arkansas just trying to save us all some time/money on picking up our meat.....if im fortunate enough to harvest one. Let me know if any of you guys are interested and we'll talk.

Jonah

13-Jul-17
I would consider it, but need to know more about it first. Cost, aprox delivery date etc. 4 of us leave a week from Sunday for Caribou and Grizzly.

13-Jul-17
If your not familiar with them I can send you a link....I'm pretty sure he can't haul bear though....legal issues......he picks up moose and caribou in different parts of AK then has predetermined stops accross the northern US. If you think you'd still be interested I'll send you a link

13-Jul-17
Rock, I'm pretty sure the closest he comes to you is Montana and it isn't cheap... Ed F

13-Jul-17
Depending on where your at it could save you a lot....I'm definitely open to suggestions on ways to get meat and rack home.....he charges $750 to pick up and deliver ALL your meat, your rack, and your cape. I'll have to drive to Indiana to meet up with him but it's still a LOT cheaper than going through Alaska Air, which a lot of guys recommend....he's the cheapest option I've found.....anyone know a better way to get meat and rack this far south??? Thanks

13-Jul-17
I used Charlie in 2014 to haul my Alaska moose. Picked it up from him in the Minneapolis area. (3 hrs from me). He was very good to work with. He works on a first come-first served basis and he fills up pretty quickly, so just be aware of that. He won't reserve spots either. I called him on September 17th of 2014 to get a spot and he was almost full when I called him to arrange the pickup at the locker plant near Fairbanks.

13-Jul-17
I checked Alaska Air and first bag free, 2nd bag $25, every bag after that is $75.

13-Jul-17
Good to hear t-Roy, I'll keep that in mind...he seems like a fair guy and easy to talk to.....and thanks for confirming my research on Alaska Air jims.....say 500 lbs of meat divided by 50lbs each is 10 bags/boxes....(not to mention the weight of the boxes and dry ice) eight of them at $75 each is $600 + 1 bag at $25 is $625 plus the free one.....plus $500, that's what they quoted me to ship my NON euro rack, so that's $1125....and still no cape....that's probably another 50lbs???...so easily $1200.....and in my case AA won't ship to Little Rock so I would still have to drive 5 hrs to Dallas to get the rack......i think it really comes down to how much meat you want and how close AA will fly to your home state.... thanks for the inputs guys and if anyone else has any ideas on good shipping options please let me know

13-Jul-17
And just so you know, the last time I shipped FedEx next day service out of Alaska was about $4 a pound for standard sized boxes of meat.

14-Jul-17
Geez!!! That's a lot of dough!!!.....thank's for the info

14-Jul-17
I brought 400 lbs back on my last Alaska trip and only paid $250 extra bag charges on Alaska Air. I had 1 meat box, 1 cape box, 2 fish boxes plus all my other gear... which included a 200 lb halibut, salmon, mtn goat, lifesized mtn goat cape, horns, skull! I carried 60 lbs on the plane with me. I'm not sure why you were quoted an extra $500 for your caribou rack. They have oversized baggage charges but it's not even close to that on Alaska Air! I had a 100 lb giant cooler full of meat I shipped on Alaska Air once that only cost $100 over-sized baggage fees.

Another option is to donate some or all of your meat. I'm pretty sure there are a number of places you can donate meat in Fairbanks or Anchorage.

14-Jul-17
I was surprised at the quotes they gave me too........I gave them rough dimensions on what I figured a moose rack would be at around 90lbs after boxing/padding it up and they told me $495.....another expense was a $255 "site visit" to become a known shipper with AA.....I have read on a lot of forums about becoming a known shipper in order to ship with AA Cargo but after talking with them and going through the process I found out they couldn't even get my rack into Little Rock BUT could "possibly" transfer it to an American Airlines plane......talked to American and they said they couldn't ship anything that big.....

As far as donating it goes that's what my dad plans on doing with his if he gets one.....I just have a hard time justifying leaving all that meat after all the money, time, and effort that's going into this trip......and I've got some buddies that want some too

That is definitely a good option though

Thanks for the info....how long ago was that when you brought back that 400 lbs with AA??

14-Jul-17
Keep in mind that extra oversized bags on Alaska Air can be up to 100#. If you're paying for extra checked bags, you might as well pack them as heavy as they allow. I used Charlie's service last fall for a moose hunt. It was all seamless and saved us some hassle on the commercial return flight, but if we had gone through the trouble of checking 99# fishboxes (insulated, disposable boxes commonly used to bring meat home via airlines), we would have saved some money. Granted, we also would've had to split a 62" bull moose rack. So there are tradeoffs.

14-Jul-17
That's good to hear Baggin.....I didn't know your extra checked bags could be that heavy....that's a plus!!! Nice job on the 62" moose...if I'm that fortunate to get one that size Im gonna have a hard time splitting it to ship..... and I can't quit envisioning that euro mount above my fireplace ;)

your right....the trade off , in my case at least, is the $500 to get that unsplit rack home....

Thanks again

14-Jul-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
This is how my 60" Alaska moose rack arrived at my house. Next time I'm splitting the skull.

14-Jul-17
Who did your euro mount for you??

That's one BIG box!!!

14-Jul-17
.....and how did you ship it cnelk???

14-Jul-17
D&C Expediters in Anchorage

They prep the skull for transport [boil], build and ship the box to the lower 48, then to your house via a 2nd local shipper, 2-3 months later.

$1000

14-Jul-17
Man....that's a chunk just for the rack.....seems that everything is expensive on these trips...

14-Jul-17
Circumstances dictated some rushed decisions for me in Anchorage last year. If I woulda split the skull from top down, put the antlers together and shrink wrapped them, it would have been accepted as extra baggage for $75.

It is not a big job to repair a skull.

Be prepared to buy coolers if successful. Ship your gear home via USPS and load up those coolers with meat and dry ice [ Alaska Airlines allows up to 4lbs of dry ice in each cooler] and pay the extra baggage fees.

You wont need your shipped gear for a couple days and the meat will always be with you til you get home

14-Jul-17
Yeah...I've heard of D&C Expeditors quite a bit.....didn't know they were that expensive though....

Thanks for the info....

We're gonna be hunting in 17b ......Jeremy Davis is the outfitter ....y'all ever heard anything about him??

14-Jul-17
If I had caribou or moose antlers to haul south from Alaska there is no way I would ship them without sawing them off at the skull and take them on the plane with me. It is by far the cheapest way to go. I'm lucky to have a BIL that lives in Anchorage so I often boil mine and have them ready to go for the ride home. It would be cheaper to buy a saws-all and blade at Home Depot in Anchorage and haul the saws-all in with the antlers/horns than paying someone to do it (it's about a 2 minute job)!

14-Jul-17
I hear ya on that jims......would be a huge savings to cut em and ship em that way......my hearts just set on that euro mount hanging over the mantle..... ;)

I may change my mind when it comes down to it....never know......

As of now I plan to use a fella with some dermistid beetles for $170......then throw the euro mount with all my meat and cape on the 18 wheeler.....pay him the $750 when I pick it up the 1st week in October and be done with it.....

15-Jul-17
I talked to Charlie at Alaskan Express today. I used him to haul my moose in 2014 and it worked great. He is trying to get another truck this year as well. The only thing new this year is a lot of states don't allow transport of brain matter, so Charlie won't transport intact skulls. Antlers with skull-plate is Ok since brain material has been removed. Europeian mounts are allowed only if they have been boiled, steam cleaned and brains flushed. Basically wall mount ready. He is a good guy, honest, and will do his best to work with you. Again first come first serve. FYI It cost $400 for me to ship a moose rack only via cargo. So paying $350 more with Charlie is a great deal to get all the meat and the cape back to my house in Illinois. Mike

15-Jul-17
I very much agree herdbull....I've punched the numbers on every option I've found and he is the most cost effective option yet considering all that you get for the $750.....and you don't have to wait an eternity for your stuff......I'm glad to continue to hear good things about Charlie...he seemed like a stand up guy the few times we've spoken.

Are you planning a hunt this year or plan to use him this fall?? I only ask cause you said you talked to him recently.....

15-Jul-17
Charlie tried to get an extra truck lined up in 2016 as well, but it never worked out for him. He did do something to his reefer last year to be able to haul more weight, though. Good to hear he's still trying to line up a second unit. He hinted around about retiring sometime when I talked to him in 2016. Hopefully, he dismisses that silly thought!

15-Jul-17
I've done DIY Alaska 10 times. For me and from my research... cheapest is Alaska Air extra baggage. 100# in a large fish box for $75 plus about $10 for the fish box. Caribou size on down. Antlers intact. Moose go with Alaska Air Cargo. Cold storage, meat in fish boxes, antlers intact, all on one pallet.... about $1 a pound... I was quoted 90 cents this year. Anyways, I go to Alaska bowhunting almost every year and always research a better way... haven't found it. Is it September yet.... Ed F

15-Jul-17
I believe Alaska Air Cargo is the best option for some depending on your location but for me it's not looking that way....I was quoted $255 for a site visit to become a known shipper with AA Cargo AND AA doesn't fly into Little Rock.....so I would have to drive 5 hrs to Dallas to retrieve everything.....I will look into using those fish boxes you spoke of though and see what they tell me.......thanks for that info

I don't remember Charlie mentioning anything to me about upgrading his truck but he did act like he wouldn't have any problems having enough room.....he even said he would haul hunting equipment too (no rifles, ammo, etc.) so he must be confident he'll have some extra space....I would hate to find out otherwise.... ;)

Thanks for the input

15-Jul-17
If you own a legit business or know someone with a business you can avoid the site inspection fee. I get that they only fly to certain major airports.... bummer. Ed F

15-Jul-17
If you own a legit business or know someone with a business you can avoid the site inspection fee. I get that they only fly to certain major airports.... bummer. Ed F

15-Jul-17
Hmmm.....might be onto something there....my wife owns a business.....so your saying the site visit should be free???? I'll give em a call and see what they say.....thanks bowunter

15-Jul-17
FYI, you can still easily do European mounts even if you cut the antlers off the skull. You or your taxidermist can put them back together and no one can tell. All taxidermist suppliers also have fake European skulls if you don't want to mess with cleaning and hauling them back. There are quite a few options that are a lot cheaper than going with a spendy cargo service!

15-Jul-17
Thanks for the ideas jims

15-Jul-17
I cannot imagine having a mood shoulder mount without at least one detachable antler. Split it and bring it back.

16-Jul-17
Helihunter84 - Yes I plan to hunt moose this year. If I get one I hope to get all the meat back with Charlie. He did add a double deck to truck so he can carry more pallets of meat and horns. The thing I'm worried about is that he fills up both trucks before I can get on the list should I get lucky on my solo hunt. Ha. I too hope his business succeeds. Mike

16-Jul-17
sounds good Herdbull and good luck on your solo hunt.......that all makes sense, Charlie said he didn't think he would fill up this year and he offered to haul back hunting equipment too....don't know if that'd be included in the $750 or not though.....either way sounds like he's got more room than past years.....don't know what your plans are for your rack but I've found a fella who will euro your rack in 7-10 days for $170......other taxidermist I spoke with were quoting me over double the price and triple the time.......I know with Charlie it's all about time so I plan to use this fella for my euro....if I get one....if your interested I can give you his info

02-May-19

ATE's Link
As mentioned in other forums, Charlie retired from the Alaska Express Trucking gig at the end of 2017. It has just recently been picked up by other Wisconsinites and is called Alaska Trophy Express. There is a website and gmail account with the same name and interested parties can contact them at either one of those.

02-May-19
Charlie was good to work with but.... we met him in eastern Ohio. At some point along the way he turned the refrigeration unit off and the meat wasn’t frozen. Not even cold to the touch.

I like euro mounts. So I want entire skulls. I guess I could saw antlers off below the burr and reattach later

02-May-19
Thanks for the update, ATE!

02-May-19
I talked with Mike, one of the new owners. Sounds like everything is on the up and up.

03-May-19
We exchanged emails. He definitely has his ducks in a row.

03-May-19
Back in 2006 I used FedEx Gold Rush to ship my meat (I think it was close to $200 but do not recall). I bought Fish boxes and packed my Caribou meat in them. There was a guy working the desk at the airport in Kotzebue that suggested this, he was great! I had already split the rack, he was a medium sized bull so I was not concerned w/P&Y. I packed the rack home in my big duffle bag. Some of my wool clothes were wet and I had to pay extra for over weight anyhow. I used those old clothes as packing around the rack to protect it. I had no problems with the rack and the meat was GREAT! Bill

04-May-19
*Gold Streak

• Sitka Gear