BOWNBIRDHNTR 10-Sep-22
BlacktailBob 10-Sep-22
BlacktailBob 10-Sep-22
JSW 10-Sep-22
BOWNBIRDHNTR 12-Sep-22
BlacktailBob 12-Sep-22
fdp 18-Sep-22
14-Jul-17
Just looking for some advice from someone with past experience. Things such as good areas to glass, what to expect, things they wish they had or had not taken. Thanks.

14-Jul-17
I'll be watching your post closely......a friend and I have Bob's shack rented for September 2018.

14-Jul-17
We leave on 8-9- 17 Can't wait.

17-Jul-17
PM sent

17-Jul-17

CJ Winand's embedded Photo
CJ Winand's embedded Photo

20-Aug-17
How did hunt go?

21-Aug-17
Just got back yesterday, haven't even unpacked yet. What an adventure. Had a great hunt and great weather. It was everything we had both hoped it would be and more. I will post some pics later, on the bosses dime right now. :)

21-Aug-17
Looking forward to the pics and story, Prime1!

21-Aug-17
PM sent

Scott

21-Aug-17
Hopefully you got to hunt "Roys Spot"

21-Aug-17
Looking forward to that report. We are headed out in 7 days to the south end of Kodiak! Can't wait.

22-Aug-17
this is my bucket list hunt right here......

22-Aug-17
Winter kill report please? Ed F

22-Aug-17
I'm hearing second hand stuff so take it with a grain of salt Ed, but I'm hearing the southern end of the island did fine, there was some kill off on north end but still deer around.

It's a shame when a bad winter hits the first animals to go are fawns and run down rutted bucks. Creates a couple year age gap before the bucks are back to normal.

22-Aug-17
I read a report from some guys who went to the south end and said it was terrible because of the winter kill. They only killed one small forkey. Maybe they weren't very good hunters... Ed F

22-Aug-17
First off I would really like to thank Bob for allowing us to rent his camp. We saw great deer numbers on the south end. I would call it a target rich environment. I would highly recommend everyone to include this hunt on there bucket list!

22-Aug-17
Let's hear the story and see some photos!

22-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Goat's from the plane
Prime1's embedded Photo
Goat's from the plane
Brian and I flew in to camp on 8-10-17. We had a great flight in and saw lots of goats.

22-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Prime1's embedded Photo
From the plane it we we're both really excited to see Bob's shack

22-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Prime1's embedded Photo
Once we landed we unloaded all our junk from the plane and the pilot Eric whished us luck and off he went. Then you get your first glimpse of the little climb to the cabin you will get VERY familiar with

22-Aug-17
We got everything unpacked. Rolled out the sleeping bags. Then we started spinning some broadheads on some shafts. Once everything was done we started glassing right from the new porch on the shack, which is very nice. Immediately we started glassing deer and plenty of them.

22-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Brian took a pic shows how steep it is
Prime1's embedded Photo
Brian took a pic shows how steep it is
We made a game plan and took off. Once to the top of a nearby ridge we started glassing again. As we looked around we saw 3 or 4 shooter bucks. Plus lots of dinks. I made my way down the very Steep ridge using the Willow brush for cover. Once there a small 3x and fork horn stepped out at 25 yds. Then I glanced as the big buck had caught my sent and took off. That was pretty much the end of day one.

22-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Brian at Roy's saddle. The sign is in rough shape we did our best to prop it back up.
Prime1's embedded Photo
Brian at Roy's saddle. The sign is in rough shape we did our best to prop it back up.
The second day we headed for the far ridge beyond Roy's saddle. I went one way Brian went the other we brought hand held radios and agreed to turn them on at noon to check in.

22-Aug-17
Keep it coming. Brings back great memories. Love the new deck. When we were there a step to the left out of the door would have resulted in a fast trip to the beach.

22-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Prime1's embedded Photo
As I walked in and out of the rocks on top of the ridge I blew two very large Buck's from there beds. One at only 3yds! Once I rounded a boulder he laid right there, body covered by stone and only his head exposed. Needless to say he bolted. Then it was noon, we radioed each other. Brian had our first buck down. So off I went to help him break it down and pack it out.

22-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Prime1's embedded Photo

22-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Prime1's embedded Photo
In the time it took me to get to Brian, probably an hour, he passed a beautiful buck but took some nice photos of it at 20yds. He didn't want to get too greedy early on. This place is too good to be true we both we're thinking.

22-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Prime1's embedded Photo

22-Aug-17
With full packs we headed out. Not thinking clearly at this point we headed for the beach. Living in Michigan tide is not a real issue. When we make down to the beach our low tide trail is under 5 ft of water. So I left Brian with his deer and went back up and hunted the rest of the day. I could have shot two bucks that afternoon but they were dinks.

22-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
The tall soaking wet grass made for tons of fun every day
Prime1's embedded Photo
The tall soaking wet grass made for tons of fun every day
In the meantime Brian decided not to wait for the Tide. He manned up and was going to take the high tide trail with all the meat. Good idea other than the grass was 5 ft tall and he never found the trail. But he made it. I will not share the words he used to describe his journey.

22-Aug-17

Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
Bears seem to be attracted to the memorial in Roy's Saddle and it doesn't stay upright long. Sometimes it doesn't make it a whole day before a bear comes along and pulls it from the ground, chews on it and probably stomps on it too. I think its simply Karma. Roy was hard on bears.

22-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Waiting out the fog
Prime1's embedded Photo
Waiting out the fog
Day three was one of the days you read about on Kodiak. Wind, fog, and rain. We got to the top of cabin ridge and couldn't see spit, maybe 100 yds. We never really moved, not wanting to bump deer. So we just hunkered down in a spot where we glassed some good Buck's the first day. Around 3 the fog left, so now it was only wind and rain. But when it cleared we saw several nice bucks. The biggest problem was all the deer. They were everywhere. All the good bucks were 100 yds under the does and dink bucks.

22-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Little forky
Prime1's embedded Photo
Little forky
We made a plan and I made a stalk. The buck was not giant but was a good first buck and I felt I could stalk him. I slithered down the mountain, actually I slid down into position for a shot. When I ranged him he was bedded at 65 yd. I needed him to stand now and come in a few yards. While waiting a fork horn came by me at 15 yds then bedded on a rock above me not 25 yds away.

22-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Brian got me at full draw
Prime1's embedded Photo
Brian got me at full draw
Finally the buck I was after got up, and he read the script. Once he cleared the Willow patch the arrow was on its way. The buck made it a hundered yds. Gravity is a funny thing at first. These deer and I mean all of them will go ass over tea cart all the way to the bottom. Kinda funny the first time. After that you pray for Willow brush to slow them down.

22-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Hard to hang on to the bow and the Deer they kept sliding down the hill!
Prime1's embedded Photo
Hard to hang on to the bow and the Deer they kept sliding down the hill!

22-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Prime1's embedded Photo

22-Aug-17
Nice buck

23-Aug-17
Nice. Glad you guys had a good trip.

23-Aug-17
Very cool!

23-Aug-17
We made the drainage to the beach just at dark. About 3/4 of the way down the drainage we encountered our first bear. At 52 yds. He looked really big, we waved our arms and yelled at it. Thankfully it ran off. The following day the wind blew so hard we hoped the little shack could hold her ground. It was a no hunt day.

23-Aug-17
The weather allowed me time to finish caping and fleshing my hide. We also made a game plan. Let's spend the day near monument saddle and try to kill two bucks.

23-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Prime1's embedded Photo
So early the next morning with pbj's and sardines packed we headed out. I't didn't take long to find a shooter buck. Now it's Brian's turn. I watched him make the stalk. Then he got into position. When the big 2x arose from his bed he walked straight to Brian, a bad move on his part. At 25 yds the arrow found it's Mark. One down one to go.

23-Aug-17
Congrats on your adventure !

23-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Prime1's embedded Photo
We broke the Deer down and packed it up to the top. Now it's my turn.

23-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Better picture of Brian's buck
Prime1's embedded Photo
Better picture of Brian's buck

23-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
One of the deer we glassed on the cliff
Prime1's embedded Photo
One of the deer we glassed on the cliff
Once we arrived back up on top of the ridge we glassed a couple nice shooters the only problem was their location. Although they Both were in very good stalking position, we felt there would be no chance of recovery as they would tumble into the ocean.

23-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Prime1's embedded Photo
So with only a couple of hours of daylight remaining I convince Brian let's go look over just one more Ridge. Once we peeked around the corner I noticed two bucks bedded. It took me about 15 minutes to slide down to a location for a better look. Once I got there there were nine bucks bedded below me. There were several very nice bucks in the group but one caught my eye with good Mass and a drop tine. Just before dark the buck i was after got on his feet, I ranged him and made the shot. Thankfully the willow brush stopped him from Rolling completely to the bottom of the mountain

23-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Prime1's embedded Photo

23-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Caribou shed
Prime1's embedded Photo
Caribou shed
We made our way back to the beach for the night and I forgot my headlamp. On the way out I got as close as I would get to a caribou

23-Aug-17
Congrats and a great read thank you.

23-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Prime1's embedded Photo
Once at the beach we made a fire out of some drift wood and waited for low tide

23-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Prime1's embedded Photo
Over the next few days. We glassed several nice bucks., But we're unable to close the deal. In all we saw 7 Bear's 3 Caribou and a pile of deer.

23-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Not for sure but I'm betting this is Bob's nuisance bear. Not overly afraid and walked the ridge just above camp
Prime1's embedded Photo
Not for sure but I'm betting this is Bob's nuisance bear. Not overly afraid and walked the ridge just above camp

23-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Waiting for the plane one last picture
Prime1's embedded Photo
Waiting for the plane one last picture

23-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Brian's 40lb ling cod
Prime1's embedded Photo
Brian's 40lb ling cod
We had a day layover in Kodiak so we called Kevin at lucky 9 charter's

23-Aug-17

Prime1's embedded Photo
Yellow eye
Prime1's embedded Photo
Yellow eye
Perfect ending to amazing trip!

23-Aug-17
What a great trip, congrats guys.

23-Aug-17
Awesome... Thank you for the report and photos. Ed F

23-Aug-17
Loved it....I want to do this so bad in the future. Awesome trip!

23-Aug-17
Awesome! Congrats and thanks for sharing!

23-Aug-17
Very good. Thanks for the recap

23-Aug-17
Nice!!

23-Aug-17
Great report!

23-Aug-17
Awesome trip! Congrats to both of you.

Like others on here, this trip is on my bucket list.

23-Aug-17
What a trip!! Thanks for posting. Can't wait to see it for myself!! Congrats! Hunt

23-Aug-17
Great story!

23-Aug-17
Thanks for the report. Congratulations. I've got to get up there myself one day.

23-Aug-17
Very cool! Incredible place

23-Aug-17
Awesome trip. Congrats!

23-Aug-17
Awesome hunt! Thanks for sharing! Definitely on the bucket list.

23-Aug-17
Thanks for the write up and congrats on some great bucks. One heck of an adventure I sure would like to do one day.

23-Aug-17
Great write up and great pictures! What an adventure. Congrats on those 4 nice bucks too.

23-Aug-17
Looks like a great trip. Had friends go up 5 years ago and it poured every day. They were in tents. They hunt elk pretty hard. After three days of trying to hike through boggy areas they were done.

23-Aug-17
Good stuff! Thanks for posting

23-Aug-17
Congrats on a fantastic hunt. A friend and I have the Shack rented for September 2018....which can't come fast enough. This really gets the blood pumping!!

23-Aug-17
Congrats... thanks for the write up and pics!

24-Aug-17
Thanks for the pics and story..... looks like an awesome place for an adventure.... Congrats!

24-Aug-17
Very nice!! Congrats and thanks for the write up!

24-Aug-17
Quality, quality write-up. Thanks for taking the time to share stories, pics, and one heck of an adventure.

24-Aug-17
Congrats on a great trip! Thanks for sharing!

24-Aug-17
Congrats! looks like an awesome adventure. Well done.

24-Aug-17
Thanks for the report...I bet Roy Roth would get a kick out of the fact that the bears don't like his sign LOL.

24-Aug-17
Awesome write up and adventure. Thanks for sharing it with us!

25-Aug-17
Excellent write up. Makes me want to go there.

25-Aug-17
GREAT bucks and adventure!!! Thanks for sharing and congrats!

25-Aug-17
Great write up, that looks like an amazing time. Would love to do this.

25-Aug-17
I talked to a brown bear Hunter that hunted there this spring. They saw over 20 dead deer a day!!! He said the bears were all over the carcasses. I also had a friend get back from the SE part of the island. They did see deer but the numbers and mutre deer numbers were way down.

25-Aug-17
Not what I personally saw while bear hunting this past spring at the buck shack. Did not see any winter kill deer.

26-Aug-17
I'm talking about this spring 2017

26-Aug-17
So am I.

26-Aug-17
Great pictures and bucks. Congrats!

27-Aug-17
Very nice. Sitka Blacktail is a bucket list item of mine! Congrats on the great hunt.

27-Aug-17
Maybe each area was effected differently. I had a friend that hunted around Grants logon. They saw deer and killed just not the numbers and very few muture deer. I'm sure Andrew Air has a better feel of the for off by now. I love hunting out there and was planning to hunt the SE part of the island before I got another hint offer in Canada.

27-Aug-17
Grants gets pounded every year because it's so easy to get to. The lack of mature bucks isn't result of winter kill it's due to rifle hunting pressure.

27-Aug-17
I'm just giving people the reports I'm getting from hunters I have talked to first hand. Take it for what it is!!!

27-Aug-17
These guys had no trouble finding some good deer! Sounds like they were on animals every hunt of every day! Offhand I'd say Bob's take on it was not "first hand" it was first person, he was there, it's his cabin..... =D

Flying in there, is it big tires on the beach or do they run float planes?

27-Aug-17
I'm sure each area cam be effected differently it's a big island.

28-Aug-17
Great work guys!

I hunted goats in Feb around mid island and saw lots of deer, not a single dead one either. Some of the island was affected but not all of it. Best of luck to everyone headed to Kodiak this fall.

28-Aug-17
TD, we flew in to the buck shack via big tires at low tide. Island Air.

28-Aug-17
Looks like we had a blast!!! How are the caribou doing on the island?

28-Aug-17
I could glass a pretty good stretch of the central Ayakulik over the past week and never spotted them. Maybe closer to the western edge. Ate that $300 tag.

28-Aug-17
Kodiak is not easy... Places like Grants you have to hunt harder, farther and higher. I saw a recent report from Grants and I doubt those guys got too far from camp. They complained about the tall ferns... there's no tall ferns at the top where the majority of the deer live. My 2 cents... Ed F

30-Aug-17
Great thread! Thanks for sharing. Congrats on some nice animals!

31-Aug-17
Yeah, these guys did a great job dealing with the environment and killed some nice bucks.

13-Oct-17

W8N4RUT's embedded Photo
75" PY (green)
W8N4RUT's embedded Photo
75" PY (green)
Quick little update--just got back from the Buck Shack. Lot of fun and there are deer everywhere! Weather was our biggest enemy as we got in late and had to come out early. Still took a nice buck. What an awesome place! Scott

13-Oct-17
I'm headed there on Sunday. Hope to bag two P&Y bucks that will fill out my limit this year.

21-Oct-17
Just finished a week solo at the buck shack. Killed two p&y bucks in 3days. There are as many deer this fall as I have ever seen. I've been hunting Kodiak since 83. Only issue was that same damn bear got most of my meat.

21-Oct-17
Congrats

21-Oct-17
He knows the right guy to shadow...... =D Likely busted the sign down at Roy's Saddle again too......

Great thread. Pretty much the end of the hunts there this season or does it go on later?

21-Oct-17

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Congrats Bob! That is great to hear, nice work. I was hoping you'd find a partner so that Lisa wouldn't be worried. I promise not to say a word to her.

Let's see those bucks!

21-Oct-17
6 Days til we head out, this thread isn't helping...

Congrats on a few more bucks Bob!

22-Oct-17

She knows now Nick. Somehow I survived Bumble Bay by myself and enjoyed every minute of the solitude out there by myself. Having the redneck, Texan with me probably would have spoiled it.

22-Oct-17

Sunset looking toward the low saddle, which was filled with bucks the other day.

22-Oct-17
Great buck!

22-Oct-17
A friend and I will be going September of 2018........save some for us, and get rid of that dang bear ??.

23-Oct-17
2018 should be a phenomenal year for deer out there. Maybe someone will do something about the bear by then.

23-Oct-17
The word from people I've talked to was that the winter die off was localized to certain areas. I heard that the road system was hit some. Where we were in August was definitely not a lot of deer - we saw 7 shooters in 11 days. Heard of some people getting skunked in certain areas and others with windfalls of deer in others. Sounds like the buckshack survived intact - that's great.

23-Oct-17
I think die off was very localized indeed. It happened where transporters dump off tons of rifle hunters.

Every year I have guys asking if they can rifle hunt and if they can go with a big group of guys, usually around 4. I say no. I can tell they all think I'm a jerk for not allowing rifle hunting and not allowing them to take along their huge partying group for a slaughter.

I think the few I rent to appreciate the fact there are a few deer around and I limit it the way I do. 7 shooters in 11 days? I saw 20 shooters or more a day!

23-Oct-17
Good to hear about the deer Bob & congrats on that buck! Best of luck the rest of Fall.

23-Oct-17
Another great buck Bob congrats

23-Oct-17
Nice buck and congrats Bob. Hope you and Lisa are enjoying a great fall!

23-Oct-17
Congrats on the bucks Bob.

23-Oct-17
Congratulations Bob I for one appreciate you not allowing rifle hunters and large groups. The way you run it should keep quality hunting for year's to come.

24-Oct-17
Bob, I'm not familiar with hunting on Kodiak. Can you give us more information on your cabin and hunting on Kodiak? Are there a lot of cabins on Kodiak? Did you build your cabin? Do you lease the land the cabin sits on or do you own it? If so, how much land do you have? Is there public land available to hunt on if you don't have access to a cabin? Just curious.................................

BTW- great scenery and nice buck! : )

24-Oct-17
There are a lot of places to rent but most are outfitted type hunts. My place is private land and the cabin was built by myself and a few other guys who helped. The vast majority of Kodiak Island is Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge, which is public land. Other than native corporation lands, which are private, there is very little private land interspersed within the refuge, but it does exist in places.

24-Oct-17
Thanks for the info, Bob- that is a pretty unique area and accomodations you have there!

05-Nov-17
Back from Zachar Bay. Absolutely dismal, I saw one doe where I saw dozens of deer the past two years. Lots of bone piles, 100% of the bucks were shed out as to be expected, doe bone piles too. Our group of ten shot one doe, we collectively saw one buck. Ugly.

06-Nov-17

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
Saw 20 plus deer a day !

07-Nov-17
That helps me check Zachar Bay off my short list... Down to DIY drop with some buddies- need a Bear Fence, or two others more as friend connection type deals. If you have a cancellation or need a partner Bob- I will clear my schedule next year upon contact!

06-May-18
I've heard certain areas of the island like Zachar Bay and other areas had alarge die off. Ut some areas didnt have near as such. I understand it was due to freshwater fresh water freezing at certain areas of the island.

06-Sep-22
TTT - My son and I are going to the buck shack Oct. 7- 18ish. If any of you that have been have any advice as to what to bring (or not bring) and what we might expect it would be greatly appreciated! Any hunting tips or tactics for that time of year? Are bugs a big concern? Thanks, Jeff & Wyatt

06-Sep-22
Take more than 5 arrows. Trust me on this.

06-Sep-22
fuzzy, lmao!!!! I heard the stories on the boat!

07-Sep-22
Take Fuzzy's advice!! I was a witness!

07-Sep-22
I know better than to not bring plenty of arrows. Pretty sure I manage to leave two on every mountain whether I mean to or not!

09-Sep-22
A few things that come to mind are - make sure you have a trekking pole. It can be slippery, especially the trail from the shack to the beach. Bring an extra filter for your water purification. The water had quite a bit of sediment in it. Find the game trail above the rocks on the beach and mark it with a GPS so you can find it in the dark easily. -Jeff

10-Sep-22
Great tips Jeff, thanks. I was wondering about the water for sure. Is that game trail accessible during high tide?

10-Sep-22
Jeff: the high tide trail is just below the rocks of the ridge above you. From the cabin side of the beach, climb off the beach on the spine just before rock cliffs to the beach. Last year there was a dead whale on the beach so bears developed a very well worn path right there. Not sure if the path will still be visible but it should be. Angle to the north until you hit a very well worn trail closer to the base of the ridge than to the bench above the cliffs. You should see a few bones off the whale on the deck of the cabin.

From the other end of the beach, when coming back in the evening, hike toward the end of the rock ridge. Get almost to the rocks and you'll see the well worn trail. There, the trail is pretty easily visible because its more like alpine tundra versus tall grass and brush at the other end.

On most tides you'll be able to use the beach about an hour and a half before and after low tide. Just be very careful if the tide is rising. Its the pinch point between the cliffs and the huge rocks on the beach you have to worry about. Surf in that area is worse than anywhere else on the beach. If surf is bad and the tide is rising near the cliffs, don't chance it. Turn around and climb back up to the trail. Better yet, don't even go to the beach unless your near a low tide on the way back in the evening. Once you get past the cliffs, I usually go ahead and drop down to the beach. Much easier walking (packing).

I think I'll have a new aluminum memorial for Roy's Saddle this year. Of course, it wont be there when your there because we'll be going in just after you. Good luck.

10-Sep-22
In the fall, water at the seep 60 yards from the door of the cabin should be running. I might be more more tolerant than many, but I've never needed to filter or treat the water. I drink it the way it comes out of the ground and I've never had a problem.

A walking stick is a good idea. On my recent Sitka hunt in Southeast Alaska, I made a fine walking stick out of a red alder branch. Strong yet flexible and zero cost.

10-Sep-22
I'm not sure about October but last August the trails were hard to find and grass and weeds were shoulder high. You need to go out of your way to find a trail and stay on it. Even if its not a straight shot to the ridge you want to hunt, using a trail will save lots of energy. Once you get to the higher country where you will be hunting, it's much easier to get around. Save a picture of the tide charts to your phone. You will need to know if you can drop down to the beach or if you have to stay above the cliffs on your way back in the evening. This only applies if you are hunting the western half of the area.

Please let us know how the hunt goes.

12-Sep-22
Between these posts, some PM's and even phone calls and texts I've been getting some great advice. Something as simple as having a picture of the tide chart could make a BIG difference to a couple of Iowa boys. We only have to worry about the creeks rising after a big rain!

Bob, I sure hope you'll post a picture of the new aluminum memorial...before the bears take out their revenge on it!

I will definitely post up some pictures or do a complete write up on this hunt.

12-Sep-22
Unless you go way farther than I do, no significant creeks to deal with. We've had so much rain in the past six weeks, maybe Bumble Bay will rise?

18-Sep-22

• Sitka Gear