Rut Nut 03-Aug-17
standswittaknife 03-Aug-17
01-Aug-17

Lone Bugle's Link
Wow.... guy stayed pretty calm.

01-Aug-17
Balls of steel.

01-Aug-17
Damn good thing the tough guys on the other thread weren't there ! That sow would have been in deep doo-doo ! :-)

01-Aug-17
I'd have run after she stopped and looked back. YIKES

01-Aug-17
Although that would be very scary, The bears never acted in an aggressive manner. Momma acted like she really didn't care what the guy was doing as long as he was moving away... No Threat.

I would have slipped in my own shiz, but probably would have done the same thing.

Scar.

01-Aug-17
I don't believe that I could have stayed that calm!

02-Aug-17
Wow, that would have been a crapper for me. Wonder if he would have gone up into the woods, would the bear have just kept going down the trail. Obviously she didn't see him as a threat, maybe she knew, just keep moving and we'll all be fine.

02-Aug-17
Not every bear is out to get you. Looks like she had a laid back attitude.......Which is rather comforting to see , especially with those cubs in tow.

He was lucky to have such a groomed path to back up on. Wouldn't want to have to make that retreat with blowdowns behind me.

02-Aug-17
Habituated bears.

02-Aug-17
No doubt the sow was chill, but still....... ;-)

02-Aug-17
That right there is a dangerous bear!! She looks like she has been around people to many times! I agree with Owl

02-Aug-17
Yeah, that's the wildlife equivalent of a claymore mine.

02-Aug-17
It was evident that the bear was used to people. And that she was not acting aggressive in any way. I would be pretty confident that he could have turned away and jogged/ran away without any reaction from her (i.e. "facing" the bear wasn't doing any benefit in this situation except making it more difficult for him to retreat).

I echo the thought that if he would have exited the trail and gone up into the woods the bears would have walked right on by.

I don't think he had "balls of steel" but instead was clueless as to the situation. Even having the audacity to video the event shows he didn't think it was much of a big deal.

While the bear's demeanor certainly suggested she wasn't a threat, as others have said, she's obviously used to being around people, the cubs seemed to be curious and eager to trot closer, and this could have turned ugly really quick. The time it took for him to get his phone camera rolling and then keep filiming was foolish. Thankfully things turned out OK.

02-Aug-17
"I echo the thought that if he would have exited the trail and gone up into the woods the bears would have walked right on by.

I don't think he had "balls of steel" but instead was clueless as to the situation. Even having the audacity to video the event shows he didn't think it was much of a big deal."

Agreed.

02-Aug-17
Think I would have picked up the pace a bit. Maybe a little hollering too.

02-Aug-17
Being the flatlander that I am, I would've S#&t my pants, then slipped in it. Dying in a bloody bath of my own poop.

03-Aug-17
"I would be pretty confident that he could have turned away and jogged/ran away without any reaction from her (i.e. "facing" the bear wasn't doing any benefit in this situation except making it more difficult for him to retreat)."

I respectfully disagree - I think turning and running or jogging from a sow and 2 cubs would elicit a natural response to chase, that's a bad, bad, bad, idea.

"facing" the bear wasn't doing any benefit in this situation except making it more difficult for him to retreat)."

Well hard to argue it wasn't a good idea to do what he did - because he is alive and didn't get mauled!! LOL

03-Aug-17
Mindless.The bear was intent on moving down the trail,so what does he do? Stay right on the trail.City folk are trained to stay on the sidewalk and stay off the grass.She had done this a million times and was showing no signs of aggression.Forget Youtube,slip off the trail and let her go by.Film her butt leaving!

03-Aug-17
I agree- the guy was clueless! Those bears obviously wanted to continue down the trail. Best thing to do is not make eye contact (but still watch where they go with peripheral vision) as you slowly back up into the woods away from trail!

He's lucky he didn't trip and fall.

He had no clue how dangerous that was.

03-Aug-17
All of us have great ideas until a mama and cubs are walking directly at us... lots of arm chair QB's here.. He's alive, didn't make any quick movements to startle them..

• Sitka Gear