Dino 06-Dec-19
Tyler 06-Dec-19
02-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
You have to love Chinese food!!!
Dino's embedded Photo
You have to love Chinese food!!!
Dino's embedded Photo
A random texted picture of a reading activity my wife was working on with her elementary students.
Dino's embedded Photo
A random texted picture of a reading activity my wife was working on with her elementary students.
The thrill of the hunt has run deep between my brother and me for a long time. From shooting ducks to bow hunting whitetails, we have shared a common passion for a long time. I always knew my little brother was going to be successful in life with his keen acumen for business, and certainly he has. A number of years ago, he asked me to start planning a hunt, on which he would take me. This following picture shows the fortune in my fortune cookie that showed up around that same time of us discussing possible hunts... As we discussed further, and started dreaming, Australia kept coming up time and time again. It was big, huge game if you will, we wanted. Not long after that, my wife, who works with students, much more needy than myself, sent this pic to me on my phone. It was a reading activity she was doing with her students.

02-Aug-17
Many emails, phone calls, facebook calls, and PM's later, I nailed the name of Michael Baker, or Mick down. Unfortunately, he was moving out of the buffs, but was willing to come out of his retirement transition, to host 2 crazy canucks. Mick was awesome to deal with right from day one, and the ease of using facebook phone calls and video calls, helped to seal the deal. Mick had sold the rights to his station concession to a fellow Canadian, Tyler Chubb. Tyler, an up and coming guide, and his new company, Iron Bark Outfitting, would be the second guide in our dream hunt.

02-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Lanksy is a great tool to make these things shave.
Dino's embedded Photo
Lanksy is a great tool to make these things shave.
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Once our outfitter was chosen, and our deposits were sent. The planning began. I started searching for Buffalo arrows. Mick also has an arrow and broad head company, and I figured anyone who has seen 100 water buffalo fall, knows a thing or two about arrows. I chose his Widowmaker Smash 300 arrows (12.2 gr per inch), and his 175gr solid 2 blades. My 29. 5" finished arrow weighed 610 grs and showed perfect tears at 243fps. Additionally, the broadheads and field tips tuned right together! Awesome arrows and tough broadheads. https://www.widowmakerarchery.com/

02-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
11 am pick up to head to the Edmonton International Airport.
Dino's embedded Photo
11 am pick up to head to the Edmonton International Airport.
Dino's embedded Photo
Across the equator and the international date line
Dino's embedded Photo
Across the equator and the international date line
Dino's embedded Photo
Wow!!! That's a long ways.
Dino's embedded Photo
Wow!!! That's a long ways.
For a couple of northern prairie boys, travelling to Australia, is about as far away in the world as you can possibly go. My father picked us up at 11 a.m. on a Thursday, and we finally arrived in Darwin at 9:30 pm on Saturday, what an epic journey to get there...One of the nicest things that happened on our flight was at 6 am the Qantas Airline served supper. Dale and I politely declined, the stewardess, was adamant that we eat, and not only eat, but have 2 glasses of Red Wine to complement. So we had supper and wine at our breakfast time!!! This was wise as it helped us settle and sleep. Thank you Qantas stewardess!!!!

02-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
My brother is quite squeamish about bugs..after our exhausting travels, we finally made it into our hotel, then this is what we found in our room in tropical Darwin, I thought Dale might lose it...Pope and Young Cockroach!

02-Aug-17
Dino, If cockroaches bother your brother, is he aware that Australia has seven of the ten most venomous snakes, funnel web spiders, box jellyfish, and salt water crocs? This promises to be an epic adventure.....onward!!

02-Aug-17
Looking forward to see how it went. Been to Australia once for sambar and would love to go back for buff!

02-Aug-17
I'm tuned in!

02-Aug-17
Get er goin man!!! Can't wait!!! this is going to be a great story!!!!

My trip is 11 months out!

02-Aug-17
Keep it coming...eh!

02-Aug-17
Don't forget scorpions and Golden Orb spiders too. Had to shake my boots out every morning.

Looking forward to this adventure!!!!!!

02-Aug-17
Don't leave as hangin' mate! Can't wait to see where this leads!

02-Aug-17
I lived in Australia for a year, and a couple of times the cockroaches were so big we just put a saddle on them. Adventurous country for sure! Carry on !

02-Aug-17
I am along of the ride. Keep the updates coming please.

02-Aug-17
Must have both been taken out by the man eating cockroaches ??

02-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Swimmers beware, not of my farmer tan, but the salties and jellyfish!
Dino's embedded Photo
Swimmers beware, not of my farmer tan, but the salties and jellyfish!
Dino's embedded Photo
Our gear always gets checked over...thank goodness it was all in good shape.
Dino's embedded Photo
Our gear always gets checked over...thank goodness it was all in good shape.
Dino's embedded Photo
3 Blokes...
Dino's embedded Photo
3 Blokes...
Dino's embedded Photo
Regardless of borders or oceans, the passion for the hunt and life unites us.
Dino's embedded Photo
Regardless of borders or oceans, the passion for the hunt and life unites us.
Sorry fellas, been in out of the house all day. I will keep chipping away at this thread, lots of good pics and stories to come. Luckily we had a day in Darwin to recover from the epic flight, the delays, rebookings and airline fare. In Darwin we walked an amazing beach in beautiful weather, this was a weekend, there were 4 people on the beach. No one goes near the water, there are salties and stinging jellyfish of which to beware . As the day waned we met Mick and some local bowhunters and their families for a seafood meal. The joke of the evening was me coming back with different drinks everytime as the bar tender must not have understood a word I said, or vice versa. I simply smiled and paid...

02-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Double checking broadheads and arrows.
Dino's embedded Photo
Double checking broadheads and arrows.
Dino's embedded Photo
A quick chair massage is always good before the roughing it of the Outback.
Dino's embedded Photo
A quick chair massage is always good before the roughing it of the Outback.
Monday morning was early as we needed to catch a 6:15 flight from Darwin to MacArthur river mine Airport. We were to meet Tyler here and drive approximately 2 hours to his bush camp

02-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
This flight was much easier than the one across the ocean. We were getting pumped to meet Tyler.
Dino's embedded Photo
This flight was much easier than the one across the ocean. We were getting pumped to meet Tyler.

03-Aug-17
This is great so far....

03-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Red dirt roads that go on forever...
Dino's embedded Photo
Red dirt roads that go on forever...
Dino's embedded Photo
Mick loves playing games on his I pad, not sure if he showing Dale games or maps.
Dino's embedded Photo
Mick loves playing games on his I pad, not sure if he showing Dale games or maps.
Meeting Tyler, loading the Land cruiser, and journeying to camp.

03-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Almost at camp...only another hour of the worst roads you've seen
Dino's embedded Photo
Almost at camp...only another hour of the worst roads you've seen

03-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Getting dialed in...
Dino's embedded Photo
Getting dialed in...
Dino's embedded Photo
My very first stalk...
Dino's embedded Photo
My very first stalk...
Camp is very primitive, set alongside the summer river. We set camp, shoot, and head out for a quick evening hunt.

03-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
We were bagged and hit the hay early. Sleeping under those Australian night skies, is more peaceful and beautiful, than you can imagine.
Dino's embedded Photo
We were bagged and hit the hay early. Sleeping under those Australian night skies, is more peaceful and beautiful, than you can imagine.
That night we return to an awesome meal of Scrub bull spaghetti. Please notice the footwear that Mick has on...those are his hunting boots!!!

03-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Just leaving camp on our first morning.
Dino's embedded Photo
Just leaving camp on our first morning.
Tyler was always up first in the morning, (5:45)he would make us coffee, Mick tea, and we usually ate toast or cereal. There is nothing like the feeling of having nothing to do for the day...but hunt.

03-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Up and over the wall we go. By this time we had already spotted buffalo in the swamp.
Dino's embedded Photo
Up and over the wall we go. By this time we had already spotted buffalo in the swamp.
We decided to alternate guides daily, the first day Tyler and I were up...please notice my nice clean boots, that didn't last long as Tyler decided to bring me up and over the wall and into the swamp.

03-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
You can see the scar along his face that had removed his left eye.
Dino's embedded Photo
You can see the scar along his face that had removed his left eye.
The buff had faded away out of the area, but there was a huge pig feeding in the swamp. Tyler said, " you want to kill a pig?" I love hunting hogs...about 10 min later I had closed the gap to 21 yards as the pig was gorging himself on something tasty deep in the swamp bottom. He was a HUGE old boar, with only one eye and one tusk. If he was a football player, this guy would have played Defensive line in the NFL, his legs and everything else about him was massive. A steep quartering away shot with the Widowmaker head and arrow did him in, I was surprised after the shot that he went as far as he did. He was truly an old warrior. After photos Tyler and I continued hunting, we bumped some cows and did a stalk on a breeding pair of buff. The cow presented a nice 35 yard shot, but the bull glided through the window as he continued to wallow and posture. We left, retrieved the boar jaw, and headed back to camp for lunch. Dale and Mick were a bust for that morning.

03-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Walking up on my first feral Asiatic Water Buffalo.
Dino's embedded Photo
Walking up on my first feral Asiatic Water Buffalo.
Dino's embedded Photo
Arrow entry...too low!!!
Dino's embedded Photo
Arrow entry...too low!!!
That evening, or late afternoon, usually around 4-4:30 pm was hunt time, Tyler and I left camp on foot. We crossed the dry river bottom, headed up the other side and started glassing the flood plains. 15 min later, we spotted a young bull and a good one. Tyler and I got the wind right and prepared an ambush for the feeding pair. As we watched them feed towards us from about 150 yards out, I was amazed at how quickly they moved, despite only taking a few steps. These buff move quickly even though it seems they are simply feeding. We were waiting behind some small shrubs and I was stuck sitting on my knees!!! Before you know it, Tyler was giving me the distance of 38 yards and it was go time. As I began my shot sequence, I settled on the bull's heart, as my release was about to go off, I was aware of the bulls leg moving backwards. On the release of the arrow, I said I hit him in the heart, Tyler said it's too low!!! The bull ran about 75 yards and turned and looked back at us...shortly after, the 8mm spoke and we watched the bull expire. When Mick and Tyler evaluate the arrow placement, if they don't like it, they shoot the bulls. Wounded buff and scrubbers are extremely dangerous when wounded, and I wasn't going to argue!!!

03-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Huge critters
Dino's embedded Photo
Huge critters
Dino's embedded Photo
These big mature buffs are old animals, over 15 or 20 years I believe. Despite this being a good cut of meat, it's as tough as shoe leather, we ground this and had burger for a tasty taco salad!
Dino's embedded Photo
These big mature buffs are old animals, over 15 or 20 years I believe. Despite this being a good cut of meat, it's as tough as shoe leather, we ground this and had burger for a tasty taco salad!
Snapped a few photos and pulled out a backstrap.

03-Aug-17
Awesome trophy....Keep the post's coming mate!

03-Aug-17
Man, these hunts looks so fun!

03-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dale and Mick were a bust for that afternoon as well. You think these mates are having fun?

03-Aug-17
Nice diversion as we get ready for September, thanks for the ride!

04-Aug-17
Did you autopsy your bull to see what organs your arrow had hit? What caliber of gun do they use for a back up?

04-Aug-17
What no shrimp on the barbie. Cool adventure for sure. my best, Paul

04-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Leaving the landcruiser for our second day's hunt...it proved to be a good one.
Dino's embedded Photo
Leaving the landcruiser for our second day's hunt...it proved to be a good one.
The shrimp is still to come, Paul. I picked up a bad cold there, plus this jet lag is killing me fellas, bear with me as I continue to piece this story together. Thanks for the kind words and following along this amazing hunt and adventure. Day 2 had Tyler and Dale together, Mick and I. It was a day I will remember forever...

04-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Shortly after we left the land cruiser, I spotted a group of scrub bulls feeding, the wind was good, we were undetected and so Mick and I began our stalk. Soon we were in their wheelhouse and a big brown "Pearler" as Mick liked to call them, fed towards us. We were caught in a small open meadow when one of our target bulls spotted us. He moved to 38 yards, and began posturing at me. He reminded me of some cartoon bull as he shook his head and pawed at the ground, I heard Mick load the gun, so I soon realized this was no cartoon. The bull began to beller which in turn, got his teamates fired up! A big grey bull heard the bellering and now joined the melee with his posturing and own calling. This side tracked our target bull and he finally turned sideways to face the grey. At 38 yards, my Widowmaker arrow set up was released. I had my first Australian scrub bull.

04-Aug-17
After we dealt with this bull we continued to hunt through the long grass, the bush, and along waterholes. I eyeballed a long tail moving through the grass..."Cat!" I whispered to Mick. His demeanor changed immediately as he said, You have to kill it...these feral cats are awful. It was a huge tom cat that was marking its territory a long the trails. We followed him for close to 200 yds, finally we caught up to him and I made one of the best shots of my life at 35 yards. Mick was ecstatic. He explained to me how awful these feral cats are and how they eat everything from birds to Wallabies and baby Kangaroos. Australian bowhunters also have a measuring system for them. Even though it looked like a huge house cat, it was more like a mini tiger. I will refrain from posting a pic here, but if you want to PM me, I 'll send you the pics. It was super cool!!!

04-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
After the cat, we stalked further into the outback, we spotted a giant, lone water buff and dogged him for close to an hour. I am not sure how an 1800 pound animal can disappear silently, but this one sure did. Our morning was almost finished, and as Mick returned to the Landcruiser, he left me to hunt a creek drainage that had small pockets of water. I found a boar laying in the cool water along the pool's edge, I sneaked into 19 yards, made a perfect shot and now had my second Australian pig. I didn't want to pose too long with this swine as he smelled worse than the old buff carcasses he'd been feeding on...

04-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
As we loaded up into the land cruiser and went to pick up Dale and Tyler, I had a smile on my face, as I was loving hunting the amazing outback. We were greeted by the beaming faces of Tyler and Dale as Dale had darted a huge old cow at 30 yards.

04-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Here's Dale's cow...

04-Aug-17
WOW!!!!! take some Dayquil and keep it coming:) Hope you are feeling better!

05-Aug-17
Awesome adventure so far! Thank you for sharing with us.

05-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Grinding up a buff backstrap for a Taco Salad.
Dino's embedded Photo
Grinding up a buff backstrap for a Taco Salad.
Tyler's nightly cooking was a real treat...He made great food look easy.

05-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Threw a corned beef in a pressure cooker before our evening hunt, we returned to this...gravy to boot!
Dino's embedded Photo
Threw a corned beef in a pressure cooker before our evening hunt, we returned to this...gravy to boot!
Corned beef!!!

05-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
How about this one? Pit roasted chicken in a dutch oven!

05-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
We are busy helping Tyler prepare the chicken.
Dino's embedded Photo
We are busy helping Tyler prepare the chicken.
Dino's embedded Photo
Awesome chef, awesome guide, awesome dude!
Dino's embedded Photo
Awesome chef, awesome guide, awesome dude!

05-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
No crocs in here!!!
Dino's embedded Photo
No crocs in here!!!
Dino's embedded Photo
One paddle, Mick and I in the back adding weight, stability and the rudder.
Dino's embedded Photo
One paddle, Mick and I in the back adding weight, stability and the rudder.
Day 3 was a slower hunting day, but that was ok, frankly we all needed some down time, and we needed to make a trip to the hot springs to refresh our water supply.

05-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Warm and refreshing...Mick even brought his tire tube for swimming.
Dino's embedded Photo
Warm and refreshing...Mick even brought his tire tube for swimming.
Warm water running out of the rocks was therapeutic.

05-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Thank you Mick and Tyler for showing us this amazing place
Dino's embedded Photo
Thank you Mick and Tyler for showing us this amazing place
Two men playing like boys, exploring like we did when we were kids.

05-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
"Charlie!"
Dino's embedded Photo
"Charlie!"
On the way back to camp, we ran into Charlie, Mick and Tyler's friend and resident camp buffalo.

05-Aug-17
Thx for sharing!

05-Aug-17
A super adventure- really neat experience. Thanks for sharing.

06-Aug-17
Thanks for the kind words fellas, I hope you are enjoying the pics and tales of the adventure. Thursday/Fri/Saturday sort of merged into one big hunting expedition, tons of animals spotted, many stalks messed up. At one point I was in the middle of a huge flood plain, with zero cover, stalking a massive bull buff with my bow in my lap and sliding on my butt, as I got closer and closer, and realised Mick was about 50 yards behind me, I wondered about the wisdom of doing this to an 1800 pound animal that could simply charge and stomp me. I quickly put that thought out of my mind as I stalked closer and closer into the Australian sun and wind and towards the giant old buff, but alas, he saw me and floated away across the sun dried plains...

06-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Mick, kicking up dust just like the buff he so dearly admires...
Dino's embedded Photo
Mick, kicking up dust just like the buff he so dearly admires...
Mick moved through the flood plains similarly to a buff, quietly and subtly quick, keeping up to him was a real chore. Mick not only loves to kill buff, he has tremendous respect and admiration for the critters.

06-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
A goal for Mick was to stalk a buff and slap them in the ass with his expensive stalking shoes..here he's about 10 yards from a young buff.
Dino's embedded Photo
A goal for Mick was to stalk a buff and slap them in the ass with his expensive stalking shoes..here he's about 10 yards from a young buff.

06-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Mick's $5 dollar hunting boots. I am not sure how he was able to move so freely with these things...the ground was hard, lumpy and ankle rolling worthy.

06-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Growing up in northern Alberta, you find many things to do with the snow, mainly because it lasts for almost half the year... The buff were leaving their sign, so I decided to share some Canadian love.

07-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Tyler and Dale are both in excellent shape, they'd put on tons of miles in the outback, they enjoyed the exploring and seeing new remote areas as much as the hunting.

07-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
There was buffalo sign everywhere...these animals might move silently, but their feces, rubs and tracks were everywhere. No shortage of these feral critters in this part of Australia.

07-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Another feral critter, cane toads! There were a ton of these things too, I shook a monster toad out of my boot one morning.

07-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
An ancient place.
Dino's embedded Photo
An ancient place.
On one of the last days, Mick took me on a walk along one of the "walls" he showed me a remote place where a solid rock face joined 2 walls, a spring ran out of the top of the cliff, and a waterhole was there. Once again, and even though Mick had had enough of me by this time, I was encouraged to not go close to the water. Mick told me that fewer than 20 white people had ever been here...hope the pics do it justice.

07-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
A couple of up and coming pearlers... Or is it tomorrow's trophy today?

07-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Mick and Tyler often climbed trees to get a better vantage of the floodplains. Mick climbed any tree or branch, Tyler often chose strong, green limbs. :0 The buff, although black, were a slate grey colour as they were wallowing and laying in the mud and water constantly. They could be tricky to spot.

07-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Before you knew it, we were down to our last morning's hunt. Mick elected to take me up river and hunt the bush country in and around the river. The hunting in and around the river is nice because of the great cover and stalking potential, but, following the blood trail of a buff, mortally wounded or not, is risky business. Dale and Tyler left camp on foot to hunt the opposite direction from us.

07-Aug-17
The day went on for Mick and I, as we passed on some scrubbers and cow buffs. I hadn't had a true one shot arrow kill on a buff, so I was extra keen on getting the job done. To be honest, I had resigned myself to the fact that today was just another great walk in the outback, we just walked up a small river bank, when Mick, whispered... "Big Bull! 30 metres" I quickly went to clip my release on and it wouldn't work, the fine sand and dust of the Outback had finally worked its magic. I didn't mess around with it any more, I grabbed my spare release from my pack, a Silver back, a tension activated release by Carter and slipped into 27 yards. The shot angle was bad, so I took 3 more steps towards the bull as he fed undisturbed, with his head deep in a bush. The shot was now open, he was quartering away and below me, I picked a spot on his side and pulled through, I saw the arrow bury to the nock and I knew soon he would be mine.

07-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
When a buff blow this out his nose, you know your arrow and head have done the right job
Dino's embedded Photo
When a buff blow this out his nose, you know your arrow and head have done the right job
Dino's embedded Photo
Mick watches the fatally wounded buff, as I drop into the river channel and up towards him.
Dino's embedded Photo
Mick watches the fatally wounded buff, as I drop into the river channel and up towards him.
Upon the shot, Mick hurried around to a higher spot to see where the bull had gone. As I've said before, for such a huge animal, they can be quiet and stealthy. After the shot everything went quiet...Within 30 seconds, I saw the bull climbing a river bank, and motioned towards Mick. The bull stopped and I could see him leaking, and blood pouring out of his nose. He stopped, sneezed or snorted twice, and continued to move up the bank, into a flat...within 5 minutes he laid down. He got up and laid down 2 more times, until he finally expired, I couldn't believe he lived as long as he did with that arrow placement!

07-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Mick preparing the bull for pics.
Dino's embedded Photo
Mick preparing the bull for pics.
Dino's embedded Photo
Huge hooves.
Dino's embedded Photo
Huge hooves.
Dino's embedded Photo
Thanks Mick!
Dino's embedded Photo
Thanks Mick!
Last day bull! Was in a perfect stalking position, head down, quartering away, every bowhunter's dream shot.

07-Aug-17
Dean, That is an awesome bull! Congratulations buddy, BTW... You are a class act for sure, thanks for all the info and your welcome at the Casa if you ever make it to AZ.

Scar.

07-Aug-17
What a hunt. Congrats on a grand adventure. Water buffalo before a turkey !!

07-Aug-17
Excellent adventure! Thanks for sharing it with is!

We played "cane toad golf" with a five-iron when I was down there... Awful, destructive little critters.

07-Aug-17
Really great stuff. Thanks for taking the time to share your adventure.

07-Aug-17
Awesome stuff. I really want to do this hunt someday. Thanks for taking the time to put it all down here for us to read!

07-Aug-17
Very cool. What were the temperatures while you were there? Thanks for sharing.

07-Aug-17
Awesome. Forrest

07-Aug-17
Awesome hunt Dean! One of those adventures that I have dreamed of doing! I have very little interest in Africa but Australia really does it for me! Thanks for sharing it with us and congrats on the awesome critters!

07-Aug-17
Great story and pics, thanks for sharing!

07-Aug-17
I like to wait on these threads until the story is finished. This one did not disappoint ! Well done Sir !

08-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Resting for a moment
Dino's embedded Photo
Resting for a moment
Thanks guys! After we finished up with pics, we needed to bring the head out across the river, walking in the sand with a load is a challenge for sure.

08-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
These guys have a solution for everything, as I later described to my brother, I am not sure how Mick spotted the sacrificial last hour bull... He responded, "These guys are professional hunters!" True story for sure.

08-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo

08-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Mick rests contentedly, the buff is boiling, most of his work his done and he soon gets to return home to civilization.

08-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Breaking camp
Dino's embedded Photo
Breaking camp
Dino's embedded Photo
Loaded and ready to roll out...
Dino's embedded Photo
Loaded and ready to roll out...
Dino's embedded Photo
We followed this buff on the trail for awhile, it was like he was leading us home.
Dino's embedded Photo
We followed this buff on the trail for awhile, it was like he was leading us home.
Dino's embedded Photo
Good-bye Outback!
Dino's embedded Photo
Good-bye Outback!
Dale and Tyler walked most of the concession and did not see an animal...which NEVER happens. Tyler pushed Dale to hunt one more night, but Dale decided to call it and we began our pack up to head out for the night to Heart Break hotel. Our 7 am flight would come early, and Heartbreak was 1.5 hrs closer to the Airport than our camp...

08-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Alcohol is frowned upon in most of the Northern Territory, I believe it causes more trouble with some of the people there, than it's worth. Basically, our camp was dry, but Heartbreak wasn't...after hunting in 30 plus degrees Celsius for a week straight, it was great to wash the dirt and dust down with an ice cold one!

08-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
A delicious frozen and now reheated meat pie at the Mine airport.
Dino's embedded Photo
A delicious frozen and now reheated meat pie at the Mine airport.
Dino's embedded Photo
Flight back to Darwin
Dino's embedded Photo
Flight back to Darwin
We left the Outback with a smile on our face, we had explored and seen many things, that few people get to see.

08-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
Moreton bay bugs look creepy, but taste amazing!
Dino's embedded Photo
Moreton bay bugs look creepy, but taste amazing!
Dino's embedded Photo
Fellowship with food, friends and family. The finest things in life...
Dino's embedded Photo
Fellowship with food, friends and family. The finest things in life...
Dino's embedded Photo
Amazing spread and Andy's little guy is starving!!!
Dino's embedded Photo
Amazing spread and Andy's little guy is starving!!!
Almost there fellas, thanks for following along. We had a full day in Darwin to chill with Mick, and then we had been invited to another bowhunter's house for a sea food dinner. Moreton bay Bugs, Mud crabs and prawns...absolutely delicious. The Aussies we met loved to slow time down, making time for visiting. Unreal hospitality!!! A huge thank you to Andy and his lovely wife Margaret (fellow Canadian)

08-Aug-17

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo
That night was our last in the Northern Territory. We were now to venture to visit Dale's MBA school buddy in Melbourne, which is another tale in itself. As we spent time far, far away from home, I found myself thinking often of the many blessings I had back home, and to be honest, I was missing my sweet wife and all the pleasant things about a beautiful woman and a wonderful home. Upon my return home, I once again paused to ponder and gaze at a sign appropriately placed in our house. Thank you for joining me on this journey that my brother made possible. I have tons of pics and have shared some already, but if you have other questions please feel free to PM me. Thank you bowsite for this venue as well. Happy hunting!!!

08-Aug-17
Thanks, this is great reading. A lot of familiar places in the pictures, I was there hunting with Mick and Taylor early June this year (first group). Great trip trip for sure.

My 3rd trip to NT, most likely I need to go back there some day. ..

08-Aug-17
What an awesome experience shared with your brother and some good friends! You did a great job taking us along with you! Thank you for sharing this with us.

09-Aug-17
I used to live out that way, some nice little pockets of country are to be found for sure.

Alcohol is readily available throughout the NT, it's only restricted or banned in some aboriginal communities, which was originally done by the elders in those communities. Most places where it is restricted, if you work there, you can get a permit to have it too, not all though.

09-Aug-17
Thanks. You did a great job with the photos and story.

02-Dec-19
Oh man what a tremendous story!! Can't believe I missed it first time around. Thanks for taking the time to weave the tale and share the pics Dean. Congrats!

02-Dec-19
Great pics. I remember that allotment. Especially the waterfall. A special place to hunt Buff. Mick knows that place very well.

02-Dec-19
Awesome Journey , Forrest

02-Dec-19
Thank you Adam! Was the trip of a lifetime for sure. I find myself dreaming and scheming of ways to get back there... Mate! :)

02-Dec-19
That was a great ,,take me away,, thanks for putting it up again

02-Dec-19
DINO! Not sure how I missed this, but what a fantastic adventure!! Thanks for sharing! Loved following this. Great write up!

02-Dec-19
Yeah!! Where the heck was I when this thread first came up?

Congratulations a couple of years late!

02-Dec-19
Thanks Fellas, Appreciate the encouragement, perhaps you missed it because I wrote it in the middle of the summer, not peak bowsite traffic time! Trip was phenomenal!

02-Dec-19
I remember where I was - focused on elk! Thanks for bringing this awesome adventure back up to the top. Congratulations to you and your brother Dean! Truly a HUNT OF A LIFETIME!

02-Dec-19
I found it even better the second read through. Nicely done again. my best, Paul

03-Dec-19
I must have missed it too, that really looked like lot's of fun! Thanks for the write up; you might be a wake boarder?

03-Dec-19
Dino,

First read for me. Great thread!!!

Is Tyler the Tyler of Iron Bark?

Thanks!

Kurt

03-Dec-19
Hey Kurt, Indeed it is Tyler from Iron Bark. Awesome guide. Sweet dude for sure!

03-Dec-19
Crazy cool! What a great adventure, thanks for sharing...

03-Dec-19
Great adventure! Good read!

04-Dec-19
Yeah...thanks for giving this a bounce to the top. What an adventure! Kevin

04-Dec-19
Missed it the first time, glad I caught it this time. Congrats!

04-Dec-19
I read it the first time and again today! Still an awesome trip!

05-Dec-19
Awesome trip! I've spent a little time in Darwin, Australia is great.

06-Dec-19
Thanks again guys! Going back through it myself again, brought back a ton of memories! Not sure how, but some day I am heading back!

06-Dec-19
was nice to re live the week with you fellas!

• Sitka Gear