WV Mountaineer 22-Aug-17
cnelk 23-Aug-17
07-Aug-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Got this funky bull on trail camera.

Not sure if the brow tones are 5 inches but he does have 4 points on his left antler

07-Aug-17
if he has four on one side he is legal.

07-Aug-17
I was once told if you can see the brow tines without using binocs they are at least 5 inches...I'd still be hesitant to shoot based on brow tines though.

The one in these pics? I think he is legal, but not sure if I would shoot him. Mostly because I "THINK" he is legal, but am not positive...8^)

07-Aug-17
MT... You wrote: . I "THINK" he is legal, but am not positive...8^:

I've moose hunted in Alaska. In my area, they had to be 50 inches. I know 2 different people who shot sublegal bulls because they "thought" that they were big enough.

So, folks definitely need to be sure before shooting...

07-Aug-17
He's legal with the 4 on that one side. He's either a 2 year old with terrible genetics or a yearling with great genetics.

07-Aug-17
I can't see the fourth on my phone plainly. Based on the browtune restriction, I'd pass. I would shoot any legal bull but would be too nervous to shoot that one in a hunting situation unless I could see 4 points plainly.

07-Aug-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Here is another side view

07-Aug-17
Yep, good enough for Colorado OTC...I'm shooting!

Best of Luck, Jeff

07-Aug-17
Too much 2,4, D !

07-Aug-17
He's legal...but he sure is ugly!

07-Aug-17
I like your other bull better! LOL

07-Aug-17
I killed a big bull one year that had a distinctive crown on top. The next year a spike showed up with that same 4 point "crown" on the same side. He was "legal" even though he had no brow tines. Some guy shot him during rifle season. I think he would've been another bruiser if allowed to grow up.

08-Aug-17
"He's legal...but he sure is ugly!"

I've heard that about some other species........ :)

08-Aug-17
Looks like an elk, tastes like an elk, 4 points on one side...

08-Aug-17
As long as I was sure he was legal, I'd shoot him on OTC.

08-Aug-17
Shooter...

08-Aug-17
That one behind him looks tasty with an either sex tag and no worries about points.

08-Aug-17
Left side has 4....shoot!

21-Aug-17
Yep shooter i pass to let him get bigger

22-Aug-17
Never really understood Alaska`s 50" Moose rule....width is a hard # to nail down and why is 49.5" NOT legal and 50" is....these arbitrary numbers are silly.

22-Aug-17
Frankin, I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I on the subject will respond to the effectiveness of the elk 4pt restriction (not so successful for Mule Deer thus removed a few years into it if I remember correctly).

Albeit there have been a lot of illegally killed elk and left to lay as a result.

22-Aug-17
If anyone doesnt like the 4 pt rule, there is always the option to apply for units that have no point restrictions. Some of those units are 0-1 PPs

And if someone doesnt like the 50" Alaska bull moose rule, there are plenty of units to hunt that are 'Any Bull'

Life is about choices

22-Aug-17
the Colorado biggame regs. read, "four point rule" Bull elk taken in all seasons must have four points or more on one antler, or a brow tine of at least 5 inches long. So, if you have a three/two point bull, that includes a 5" brow tine, doe's this make the bull legal? Sure sounds that way to me.

22-Aug-17
Yes, it has to have a 5 inch brow tine or have 4 points on one side to be legal. God Bless

23-Aug-17
Back in the late 90s when the DOW changed to the 3pt rule [later to the 4pt rule] they determined that a 2-3 yr old bull typically has a 5in brow or 4 points.

The reason for either/or would be in case a bull thats breaks off his main beam half way up would still meet the criteria of 5in/4pt rule

so yes, if a bull has 2-3pts on one side, but in fact has a 5in he is considered in that age class

All I look for when hunting bull elk is one 5in brow, makes it real easier than counting points

• Sitka Gear