ohiohunter 09-Aug-17
ScottTigert 09-Aug-17
ScottTigert 09-Aug-17
ohiohunter 09-Aug-17
smarba 10-Aug-17
ohiohunter 10-Aug-17
ohiohunter 13-Aug-17
08-Aug-17
I've been tossing around the idea of getting a new havalon, mine does not accept the 60a blades and I've been torn between the torch or forge, but then someone said they use cheap break away razor blades. I have a few at the house and looking at them they'd do the trick for sure and no doubt they will go on my next oryx hunt. What do you think? give the box cutter a go or spring $40 on a new havalon?

Now don't get me wrong I love my knives, and will always carry one regardless, but there is something to be said about a scalpel on flesh.... hot knife and butter keeps coming to mind.

08-Aug-17
I like the Forge better than the Torch.....and both better than a box cutter. Both the Forge and Torch will accept the 60a blades.

08-Aug-17
Spring for the havalon that turns you on with the 60A blades. Way better than any box cutter.

08-Aug-17
I love a nice knife too but my last elk was cut up entirely with one of those cheap $2 plastic razor knives with the 18mm snap off blades. I think I used two blades. I did end up using a sheath knife to cut off the skull, but otherwise the razor knife performed flawlessly.

09-Aug-17
Have you checked out the Tyto knives? I like the idea of them but am worried about my old hands would cramp up holding onto that skinny of a handle! But it would be a lot easier to clean up than the folding Havalon models!

09-Aug-17
Piranta EDGE takes 60a blades. Even the older models of the EDGE could be modified ever so slightly to take the 60a. Amazing how much more durable that extra 20% thickness is.

09-Aug-17
I have a few Havs, really digging the Titan I got this past year

09-Aug-17
+1 Smarba, I have the edge with 60A blades.

09-Aug-17
I have the original edge and I bought the blades under the impression they would fit, but they don't. I thought about modifying it but was unsure and knowing myself I'd jack it up.

Smarba, what kind of modification did you do?

09-Aug-17
Saw those tyto's, pretty slick, but for what its worth I'd probably be better off finding a nice scalpel handle. The one story of a guy cutting himself when removing from case is enough to not leave a blade on. I can also see my hand gettin crampy on that thin handle too.

09-Aug-17
Have you tried the Outdoor Edge knife with the replaceable blades? You can easily resharpen the blades (if needed) and are very easy to change out.

09-Aug-17
Also, you can get a box cutter handle with a hooked carpet cutter blade. It cuts hide like you are opening a zipper.

09-Aug-17
I was thinking about getting a few hook blades.. used all the time when roofing.

10-Aug-17
Ohio: The only difference between the "original" and the "current/new" EDGE is that the blade slot is ever so slightly wider on the new version. In fact manufacturing tolerances often allowed 1-2 of every 10 or so "original" to fit the 60A. All you need to do is widen the slot a very little bit. It's hard to find a tool to do that as for instance a dremel grinder blade is too wide. Use a combination of thin screwdriver (sometimes just scraping the inside of the slot is enough to make a 60A fit), thin triangle file, etc.

The only other modification you need is that the 60A has a tab on the end of the blade opposite the tip that won't allow you to fold the blade into the handle. It hits a cross bar that connects the two halves of the knife handle. So you need to use a dremel grinder or similar to cut a little groove in that cross member to clear the blade. The "new/current" models have a slot in the cross member all ready.

It goes without saying but be EXTREMELY careful when you're trying to slide a blade to check for fit. Same with just installing blades in general.

10-Aug-17
Thanks, I'll give her a go. After posting this I think I found a nice little havalon short cut-hack. If it works it'll be pretty slick and very inexpensive.

13-Aug-17
Ok, so I took my dremel to the havalon. Things were looking good until they weren't, I was cutting a long making what seemed very little progress and boom; too much. Sloppy fit with all blades. Then I got to thinking about the tv show forged in fire, and tossed it into a fire.... well not quite. I took a heavy hammer head and used it as an anvil while I used a regular hammer to tap the male end essentially fattening the parts I just thinned out. It worked, the fit is tight but manageable.

• Sitka Gear