Chesapeakesam's embedded Photo
Bull's Eye
Bull's Eye
First Turkey
First Turkey
This is a last minute hunt. I booked our plane tickets to Billings, MT today, and I have a 900 tag that allows us to archery hunt in any unit. This girl and I are due some quality time, and, in addition to piano and soccer, there is nothing she would rather do than hunt something with her Daddy; I feel the same way back at her. We will fly in the day before the season, and we have three days to hunt, so I need to make the most of our time if we are going to be successful. Here are my goals: 1) Spend quality time with my daughter in a beautiful setting. 2) Find a few goats for us to stalk. 3) Have an opportunity at harvesting a legal buck. 4) Gain some experience for both of us, so we will have a clue when she is old enough to have bow/ gun in hand.

Now, let me tell you what I am thinking, and you guys shoot some holes in my plans.

-- We are going to focus our time in Region 7. Those units seem to have the largest populations according to GFP, and there appears to be a fair amount of public ground including BLM, Custer NF, and Block Management. -- I am using OnXMaps to identify public ground southeast of billings to have some spots to get started. I have heard that private access for antelope can be obtained fairly easily especially with archery equipment. Should I spend any of my time knocking on doors if we spot some bucks on private? -- I will not have a ground blind with me, and I think spotting/ stalking will be more fun for her, so I am going to try to spot and stalk. Also, even if I bought a blind when I got there, I do not know if I could get a blind up on a water hole in time for the goats to get comfortable with it. I know this spot and stalk probably lowers our chances of success, but I think it will be the most fun for her.

Here are some pics of my hunting partner next week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated; .

09-Aug-17

First Turkey -- Spring 2017
First Turkey -- Spring 2017

09-Aug-17
I'm just gonna say good luck ! I hope she gets a chance at one.

09-Aug-17
Great Pic's Any door should open with that girl's smile Enjoy your hunt have a good time.

09-Aug-17
Good luck!! Daughter/ Daddy hunts are always fun.

09-Aug-17
Good luck, you are already ahead of the game and don't think you can go wrong whether you are successful in the hunt or not. Bring her along to get private access and I don't think you will have a problem finding something. My daughter wants me to get my toenails done with her, but I have to say she likes eating what I kill and helps me wrap, package, make chopped meat and cook as well so I'm not complaining.

09-Aug-17
Talked to several landowners in that area and they were very open to letting archery folks on to chase Antelope!

09-Aug-17
PeteinAlaska was just there in 700 area working the fires. He moved to a new area that I think also has goats. You maybe able to PM him for intel.

09-Aug-17
Thanks for the advice guys. Looking forward to trying this thing out. Can't wait to get out there. Any places to stay away from because of fires?

11-Aug-17
I have found a few BLM areas that have some walk-in (1.5 miles or so) areas to get away from the road. Would time be best spent hiking in to those areas or just glass from the road and covering as much ground as possible?

11-Aug-17
I have hunted antelope a lot - I'm just giving you advice because I have a daughter as well.

Buy a blind. It may take them a day to get used to it and you can S&S for the day.

Antelope are hands down the most difficult animals to stalk in NA. If you have some broken country then you have a little better chance but still a loooooong shot.

The #1 reason why antelope hunting in a blind is one of my favorite things to do is because you can talk and have fun as you will see them coming from a long ways out.

You don't have to use a blind but I would definitely bring or buy one.

11-Aug-17

Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Best of luck! My daughter and I started hunting together when she was 12 for turkeys. At age 22 we have hunted whitetails and Mule Deer together. She has a Colorado Mule Deer tag this year and next year we are gonna NF to Newfoundland for Moose and bear. Enjoy your time together!

11-Aug-17
If it were me I would definitely bring a blind. A good one though not a cheap one. Im in a cheap one that flaps in the wind right now and it just scared a group of antelope away.

I've been breaking up my blind time with spot and stalk and it is crazy how alert they are. If you move and they can see you they WILL see you.

You could sit the blind and break it up with a little spot and stalk but I wouldn't do it in the same area.

Enjoy the hunt with your daughter and whatever you decide, good luck.

11-Aug-17
Thanks guys. All the info is much appreciated. I'll touch base after the hunt.

12-Aug-17
Great Pic Rob in VT. Hope to keep mine interested even after they leave the nest.

• Sitka Gear