PECO 11-Aug-17
Jaquomo 11-Aug-17
ElkNut1 11-Aug-17
DanaC 11-Aug-17
Beendare 12-Aug-17
TD 12-Aug-17
Mule Power 14-Aug-17
10-Aug-17
I'm thinking of adding an axe to my bivy setup. Does anyone use one and if so how essential would you consider it? Seems like a lot of weight. If so what brand do you use (and how much does it weigh) I've never brought one before. My current setup is about 55-60#. I can usually "get by" with a knife and my small hand saw.

10-Aug-17
I wouldn't even consider it to be honest. Not sure what I'd even need one for on a back pack hunt.

10-Aug-17
No Way

10-Aug-17
I hope your bivy setup is not 55 or 60 lbs. No way, no how. If you are talking spike camp, okay. I've taken an axe (hatchet) to spike camp before and found it not to be worthwhile. I would only consider it where there is increased risk (there is always some small risk) that I am going to be trapped out in the wilderness for some time.

10-Aug-17
Heck I wouldn't even bring the hand saw let alone the hatchet.

10-Aug-17
Handy around a truck camp but the "weight to handy" ratio doesn't work for backpacking.

10-Aug-17
If you want to carry your laptop with you I say carry it. Its up to you if something is important enough to put in your pack.

10-Aug-17
Why? What would you do with an axe that you can't do with your hand saw and a good knife?

10-Aug-17
Haha, ok message received. No axe. I use "bivy setup" as a generic term for hunting out of my pack for 5 days-with a tent. My brother brought an axe on a 3 day backpack trip and it did come in handy but I was worried about the weight. I've gotten by without it for years so was just curious. I also saw a video of a guy that packed one.

10-Aug-17
I would not consider a axe. Hatchet, tomahawk cold steel pipehawk, or the CRKT hawk with the hammer poll would be a better choice. Tomahawk can be broken down for easier carry and the blade can be used for skinning. Or a longer blade knife to baton through wood if you need to split wood or make kindling. DANNY

10-Aug-17
If I brought an axe I probably wouldn't have room for my shovel or folding table...

I just pack all my firewood in so I don't need an axe ;^)

10-Aug-17
I was wondering if a fullsize toothbrush was worth the weight or could I get away with cutting it in half. If you are even considering carrying an axe you are more man than me:)

10-Aug-17
what would you need an axe for ?

10-Aug-17
I don't bring a toothbrush. Chew on pine needles. I also reuse my toilet paper. It's really helped with my weight savings.

10-Aug-17
I never take one. Wish I had it a few times (rare) but not enough to take it next time!

10-Aug-17
No, sounds like a good idea but it isn't. Like said, if you're headed out to survive for a month or too, maybe, but then I'd probably carry a small axe instead. I have used small saws before, but I could probably have gotten by quite well without it. And unless you're a very strong dude, that pack is really heavy for bivy hunting!

10-Aug-17
I like to bring my piano.

10-Aug-17

jordanathome's embedded Photo
jordanathome's embedded Photo
Paul Bunyan? Truck camping....sure. Backpacking.......hell to the no. If you really need a way to cut a tree or log.....take a pocket chain saw where you are the engine.

11-Aug-17
Jordan beat me to it! That chainsaw is the best invention yet! I keep that little tin in my backpack.(about the size of a Skoal tin) When others see the stack of neatly(and quickly) cut wood next to our fire they always ask where is the bow saw? ;-)

11-Aug-17
I carry knapping tools and make one if I need one.

11-Aug-17
Mike, way back in the day several of us were backpacking into a wilderness and one newbie was really struggling. He was packing a giant frame pack, stuffed full.

After about 5 miles we asked what all he had in there for a three day trip. "Firewood", he said. He figured since we would be above timberline he would need to carry it in. Split and stuffed into the pack bag. The only other things he had for the trip were a sleeping bag and a plastic sheet strapped to the pack frame, a plate and a cup and utensils.

An axe would have been much simpler.

11-Aug-17
In over 40 years of chasing elk I've not packed an axe as of yet so I'll vote no you do not need one!

ElkNut/Paul

11-Aug-17
Small folding saw cuts anything I need while hunting. Weighs little. Hammering with an axe? Screw that! I've cut a lot of 3D trails with a bow saw, folding saw and lopping shears. I go *around* the big stuff ;-)

12-Aug-17
OP, You mean a hatchet right?

we are extremely limited in weight on our DIY drop camp moose hunt [50# each] but I'm bringing my Gerber 1.5# hatchet....pretty versatile piece of gear

12-Aug-17
Geez Bruce, if you weren't such a big guy you'd be able to take a 100 lbs in the plane..... =D

14-Aug-17
For what?

• Sitka Gear