wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
Just a little downfall.
Just a little downfall.
Just a little more. HA!
Just a little more. HA!
cnelk started a thread a week or so ago called, "Bring Your Chainsaw", concerning the unbelievable amount of beetle killed timber that's been coming down in droves the past couple years. I posted that I was headed up to my area this week to clear the trail down to where I put my treestand. It only took 3hrs, and that's following game trails that I know! lol!

A little background to put this all in perspective. My treestand sits roughly a quarter mile from the old road I park my 4 wheeler I've been in the same tree for over 20yrs, and it used to be I could go back and forth to it in my sleep. I would just follow a series of game trails. After making this trek countless times, it was like driving an interstate...no more.

10-Aug-17

My treestand has been so productive because it sits 22yds from the convergence of 3 main gametrails. It's still been good, but it's seen less action the past couple years since the downfall has choked off those gametrails. I posted on Brad's thread I would remedy that problem...I did. ;-)

10-Aug-17
The only problem with that is there is a water tank here that trees had fallen across the road. Not beetle kill but high winds took big ponderosa pines down. You could still get atvs to it or walk. Somebody went in this year with a chainsaw and opened the road back up so anybody can get there now. Know where I won't be hunting this year.

10-Aug-17
Dang Rob!

Kinda takes the wind outta the sails don't it?

How much decreased elk activity are you seeing? 1/2?

10-Aug-17

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Or This!

ElkNut/Paul

10-Aug-17
Brad, I'd say 1/2 would be a good estimate. Still good, but not great...although it was good enough last year! ;-)

On the plus side, the old logging road that winds it's way to my favorite area wasn't as bad as I expected. I only had to cut 25-30 trees to get to where I park. Luckily, none were as big as those in Paul's pic! lol!

10-Aug-17
Yes, those beetle kills are truly devastating in areas! I'll bet the photos shown don't even show a fraction of what it really is like to walk through it! We have similar areas here in ID & many wouldn't believe what it's like to get through some sections of it! Looks like you guys have the same dilemma!

ElkNut/Paul

• Sitka Gear