carcus 17-Aug-17
APauls 17-Aug-17
Gun 17-Aug-17
walking buffalo 17-Aug-17
Tao 18-Aug-17
Mike Ukrainetz 19-Aug-17
Guardian Hunter 19-Aug-17
12-Aug-17
My buddy and I are heading ten hours north of Saskatoon on 9/23. The area holds very good size moose. I am looking for some tips that can push the odds in my favor substantially. I shoot a 58 # bow at 27.5 inches. 410 grain axis with shuttle t 100 gr. Heads. I want to hold out for a 50 inch bull but don't think I could pass a 40. The outfitter truly believe he can get big moose within 40 yards. This is a lifetime quest for us and would rather ask for some factual advice before than hunt. Great hunting to all. Gary

12-Aug-17
Don't pass up a quality moose, if it's not 50 in you may regret it. Good luck with your hunt.

12-Aug-17
If the area you are hunting has decent numbers it should not be difficult to get under 40 yards on a 50 inch bull. Rutting bull moose are built to bow hunt.

15-Aug-17
if your outfitter is good, and you must think he is if you booked him, trust his expectations for your hunt. He's been there done that more in that area than anyone you'll find on here.

15-Aug-17
I have extreme confidence in the outfitter. Great point. I am just as excited as a bowhunter can be. Thanks. G

15-Aug-17
Your expectations of seeing a 50" bull in Saskatchewan may not be realistic. Ask the guide what size moose his clients are killing.

15-Aug-17

sbschindler's embedded Photo
sbschindler's embedded Photo
I shot a 50 incher in sask, only moose we seen or heard he came right in and shot him at 9 yards with my 65lb longbow, came in on the 27th of Sept.

17-Aug-17
Everyone wants a 50" Bull the first few days. Hope you get one. Enjoy! Moose are fun. My favourite after Whitetails. Aim lower third. The hump messes with guys. I've guided a bit.

17-Aug-17
Be ready to shoot as far as you ability allows and have a suitable sight for that distance, if you can shoot out to 80 have a 7 pin sight, no holding high with your 5 pin and guesstimating!

17-Aug-17
Areas in Sask are overrun with moose. A bit further south from where you're hunting I've regularly counted over 20 moose per day when deer hunting. That's end of Nov when they're not rutting and running around. Lots and lots of bulls that don't even look big. I found a dead head from one of these "average" bulls and it was 47" wide and grosses 153 with 7" wide palms.

You have good reason to be excited! Enjoy the hunt and please share the results :)

17-Aug-17

17-Aug-17
Be sure to understand the laws when hunting under the authority of a Indian Nation licence. Many NR hunters are shooting the buck or bull of their dreams in Saskatchewan, and then losing them to law enforcement.

18-Aug-17
Look at the P&Y record books. .....50" is very possible

19-Aug-17
I would forget your own expectations on what to shoot and talk to your outfitter and guide when you get there and ask them what is a reasonable goal for what they have been seeing and consider the upcoming weather, it's a huge factor with moose, and then shoot the first good bull the first chance you get. That is unless you want to risk going home without one at all. Generally the huge wilderness areas do not hold lots of moose, they have big ones but moose densities can be pretty low

19-Aug-17
Thanks all. The outfitter is very confident in the 50s for a bull. I always listen to my guide. In this case he is the outfitter. I really wouldn't know if I could not draw and release on a 40 inch bull. Even more pumped now than my last post. Appreciate the knowledge. G

• Sitka Gear