thedude 05-Sep-17
nvgoat 05-Sep-17
Trial153 06-Sep-17
Bake 06-Sep-17
Scar Finga 06-Sep-17
EmbryOklahoma 06-Sep-17
bad karma 06-Sep-17
12-Aug-17
Havalon was all the rage several years ago. I still carry my Paranta and extra blades for cutting meat. I also carry a gerber skinner for breaking open hide and a Kershaw fixed blade for breaking joints.

I see Tyto is now Snyder and Call's choice and seems to be gaining popularity on Havalon.

What do you carry, how do you use it and why?

12-Aug-17
A 4 3/4" fixed blade drop point knife Made from O1 carbon, that my brother hand ground and heat treated to 58 rock well hardness. It is unbeatable for edge retention at that treatment. It far out reaches the D2 steel knives I have owned for edge holding ability. Takes a bit to get it sharp but, anything that hard is going to. I've carved wood with it, skinned several animals, etc... without sharpening and, it still cuts paper effortlessly.

12-Aug-17
Depends on the hunt, might be a very early Marbles, Buck, Case or a retirement gift Randall, all are fixed blade knifes that I sharpen.

12-Aug-17
I use the Havalon for caping but nothing else. Scalpel blades are great around the eyes, ears, mouth and antler bases but break to easily doing the heavy cutting. I need a gut hook (occasionally) and a stout folding blade for tough guy cutting in the field.

12-Aug-17
I bought Havalon regular and filet knives for this year! The Tyto looks like a good idea but I think my hands are too old for that skeleton grip! Wish they would offer one with a fatter grip handle! Probably will have one lighter weight but sturdy Buck folder with me just in case

12-Aug-17

Well-Strung's embedded Photo
I finished this one up last week. W1 round tool steel. Hand forged blade, guard and pommel. Fitted and polished giraffe bone handle mortised with a hidden tang. Japanese hamon with a bold wave pattern. 9.5" total length, 5" blade. Elephant sheath. Handmade at Brewstro Forge. Can't wait to put it to use.

12-Aug-17

12-Aug-17
I have a Havalon and will always have some sort of replaceable scalpel blade knife on me while hunting. I have used it to cut up multiple deer, antelope, and helped with an elk, and only broken one blade (prying hide from under an antler base, not a job it's intended for). I think if you're constantly breaking those blades you need to reevaluate your knife skills, they are an excellent tool. I also carry a fixed-blade knife that's more useful for camp chores or a survival-type situation.

12-Aug-17
I am down to only carrying a Havalon.

12-Aug-17
Havalon + my 35yr old Western,wouldn't seem right to be with out it.

12-Aug-17
Gorgeous knife Wellstrung.........

12-Aug-17
damn.....would love to have an old Western.....

12-Aug-17
I'm with surf bow and Willieboat. Broken down lots of elk with only a havalon and that's all I carry now. There is no reason to carry 3 knives. You do have to go gutless though.

12-Aug-17
edge makes a good replaceable blade knife. It is stouter than the havalon but I still carry both.

12-Aug-17
Iv e been using an outdoor edge razor lite. Blades change easy and it's sturdier than the havalon, cheaper as well.

12-Aug-17
Two knives are always in my pack...a Cabela's Alaskan Guide and a Wyoming Knife. Won't leave home without either.

12-Aug-17
A mora or two and a cold steel master Hunter carbon V or the ultimate Hunter, all great knives.

12-Aug-17
A mora or two and a cold steel master Hunter carbon V or the ultimate Hunter, all great knives.

12-Aug-17
Havalon in the pack.

Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf on the belt. The Alpha Wolf is the lightest sheath knife I have found.

12-Aug-17
I use the Outdoor edge razor and a swing blade.

12-Aug-17

CJE's embedded Photo
CJE's embedded Photo
I love knives and I love carrying them. I usually make 2 or 3 different ones to carry every year but certain knives have their place in certain situations. Here is the knife I will be carrying most this year. 1084 steel with stainless guard and end bolster with elk antler scales. I also always carry my hatchet and havalon in my hunting pack, those 2 always come in handy.

12-Aug-17
Still carry the Havalon. I always have a sharp blade, it is light, and can't say I have ever had a problem breaking blades.

13-Aug-17
I am a havalon guy myself. Like surfbow said use it as it's intended and blades breaking will be a thing if the past.

13-Aug-17
I always have a havalon folder in the kill kit. Love them, great tools. Own 2 folding handles and two stainless scalpel handles, buy the blades (22s and 60s) in cases of 100. Use them a lot from caping pheasants to doing my euros to caping big game in the field. They are great caping knives. not the best for deboning, not the best for skinning. They can do the job, but are not the best for the job.

Also in the kit is a OE flip'n blaze (?) that has a zipper blade for opening hide and a decent skinning blade. And a 5" straight flexible boning knife for deboning, love using a good tool designed for its work and that is a good tool. Carry a duo diamond folding stone as well, but I keep them pretty sharp, I don't mind sharpening blades.

But I will admit.... I'm a tool junky. It's what I do..... I HATE using a crescent wrench, will walk to the other end of the shop to get the right wench..... and have had to fix literally hundreds of tools and equipment damaged by mechanical goofs with pliers, a pipe wrench and a hammer......

13-Aug-17
Im running a tyto this year instead of a Havalon. I think it will be perfect..

13-Aug-17
Iv e been using an outdoor edge razor lite. Blades change easy and it's sturdier than the havalon, cheaper as well.

13-Aug-17
Lightest folder I could find made by Bench made. Can't stand the disposable garbage.

13-Aug-17
am with caribou77, I like the outdoor edge razor lite. They are under 25 bucks with 6 blades and do all I need a knife to do. Shawn

13-Aug-17
Just a havolon for me also. On a big hunt like Alaska I will take a fixed blade knife also. But for just elk hunting . A havolon gets the job done. No reason to carry 3 knifes . Hunt

13-Aug-17
I always have a havalon on me, but I'm not a particularly big fan of them - use them just for caping or fine cutting. I love a 3-4 inch fixed blade knife, among the too-many I own, these are my favorites (all excellent): Benchmade Saddle Mtn. Skinner, Fallkniven F1, KOA Alpha Wolf, Helle Fjellkniven, and of course, a few Mora knives. Also, I always carry a Benchmade Griptilian in my pocket/clip.

13-Aug-17
Love the Havalon. Seen they also have a replaceable gut hook blade. Made my day!

13-Aug-17
My last few animals have been handled crom start to finish with my havalon i still carry my puma skinner but it hasnt been used in the last 2 elk 4 deer and 2 antelope

13-Aug-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo

13-Aug-17
Havalon and a Marble's Knife made in God's country... the UP!

14-Aug-17
Havalon Barracuda, extra blades and a couple of wood blades too

14-Aug-17
I like traditional knives, a good folder and a good 4 to 5 inch fixed blade

14-Aug-17
CJE I sure enjoy the pics of your knives!

14-Aug-17
I am mainly a whitetail hunter and have been using guthook blades since a buddy gifted me with one in the late 1990's. Since then I have acquired a Buck Zipper, a couple Marbles, and a few customs in the same blade configuration. The Buck has seen the most use and holds a great edge. One way or another, it always seems to end up in the field dressing pouch of my pack.

16-Aug-17
I use either my Blackjack Trail Guide or my BRK Bravo-1 along with a Gerber/Fiskers pocket sharpener and either is all I have ever needed to skin, quarter and de-bone any elk. You have to experience a BJ/TG or BRK/B-1 first hand to truly appreciate the difference a very well made hair popping scary sharp knife can make when trying to take a 700-800lb animal and fit him in your backpack quickly and with minimal effort. Just my opinion but I have no need to and see no advantage to carrying two knives, and in the case of the disposable blade type, they are again IMHO, to limited in their scope of use for me to use VS my BJ/TG or BRK/B-1.

16-Aug-17

16-Aug-17
Havalon and a good CRKT folder for heavier work around joints and spine.

05-Sep-17
My every day/hip carry is a randle model 25 in 6" in high carbon. It can do it all and quickly bone and quarter an elk. I like the 6" as the minimum length for a dispatcher/defender, also has a norton stone in a pocket in the sheath with makes for quick re-sharpen when back in camp. I also carry a leatherman in most cases, although not for the knife. I also keep a swafford "autumn hunter" in camp for any fine caping duties.

05-Sep-17
Imo the best knife without exception in areas I've hunted is a Buck Woodsman. I'm not in the west so really big game is an unknown but I fiend dressed 3 big deer with one and zero resharpening. Yes it got duller but still plenty sharp. I sharpen blades by hand and actually roll my blade as I do so ensuring a super sharp, thinner blade up front for anything requiring it, and a stouter less severe blade near the handle where you might open a brisket if you so chose. Used them on deer and bears. Great knives. If you're into that size game try them. Be surprised if you don't get one

05-Sep-17
Havalon...averaging 2 blades per elk. That includes breaking off the legs at the knees and the head from the spine. No issues and it goes as fast as I can go.

05-Sep-17
Havalon Bolt with the sturdier blades, plus my Buck Pathfinder 105 that I bought in jr high with some trapping money back in the early-mid seventies. It's been on every hunting trip I've ever taken.

05-Sep-17
Cutco for me

I can gutless an elk in about 30 mins, ready to pack

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

05-Sep-17
I use a Rapala 6" filet knife - I can have a deer skinned and in a cooler in short order. I've used it on a number of elk, hogs, innumerable deer, etc. hard to beat for 15 bucks and sharpens like a razor for a number of years. It bends easily around bones as well and works great for boning. Once it finally gives up an edge it gets tossed and I get another. Dang good knife!

Lee

05-Sep-17
My Paranta went missing....my fault. I had it in the belt sleeve attached to my pack and just threw my pack in the bed of the truck. Once I bumped and bounced up the FS road to park I found the pack had shifted so the pack belt with the knife sleeve was hanging over the tailgate....minus my knife. The spare blades were there.....yay. So when I came down for a break I bought the Outdoor Edge Razor lite.........havalon who? Damn this is a nice setup.

05-Sep-17
Used an Esse Izula for the first time this last weekend. Processed a whole cow without needing to sharpen once. Cleaned it and re-wrapped the paracord, couple passes on a stone and sharp as hell again. Might start leaving the havalon at home.

05-Sep-17
victorinox fibrox lamb skinner and boning knives i get for free from the local butcher after they lose their factory grind.

05-Sep-17
While I have many expensive knives of different brands, the knife I carry on all my big game hunts is a Morakniv Clipper 840 fixed blade with 3.9 in carbon steel blade. It gets sharp and is easy to resharpen on a lightweight steel. The handle is rubber coated so less slippery when wet or covered in fat. For the price of $16.48 on amazon I suggest you try one. You won't be disappointed unless for some reason you feel you must spend more on a knife.

06-Sep-17
Dozier, Ingram, or Charles May

06-Sep-17

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
I don't hunt without my Bark River drop point. Convex edge. Couple passes on a leather strop, and it's good to go after use.

I have a havalon, and will use it time to time, especially for caping. I haven't had the broken blade issue when using for big game, but I just prefer the Bark River. It fits my hand perfectly.

06-Sep-17

Scar Finga's embedded Photo
I have used all of these and several more at one time or another, but I mostly use my Outdoor Edge now. I like the replaceable blade and its pretty stout.
Scar Finga's embedded Photo
I have used all of these and several more at one time or another, but I mostly use my Outdoor Edge now. I like the replaceable blade and its pretty stout.

06-Sep-17

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
A co-worker walked up to me last week and gave me this knife. I'm assuming it's a decent knife? Pretty sturdy. Look forward to cleaning some deer and hogs with it this fall. I'll always have my buck 110 and my non-fold Kabar for the tough jobs.

06-Sep-17

bad karma's Link
I use the Swiss Army Hunter, and the Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite. Have used a version of that Hunter for the past 30 years. Here's a pic of the Hunter. (I'm a fan of bright colors for things I put on the ground....makes it easier to not lose them. You can't run fast enough to give me a camo knife.)

• Sitka Gear