drmike 14-Aug-17
Pigsticker 14-Aug-17
Scar Finga 14-Aug-17
bb 14-Aug-17
shade mt 14-Aug-17
TheTone 14-Aug-17
drmike 15-Aug-17
12-Aug-17
I just got back from Colorado scouting my elk area. The forest service recently closed my main entry point into my elk area to ATVs, UTVs and motorcycles; but are allowing access with licensed vehicles. I used to access this area on my ATV. Since I am limited to a licensed vehicle, I either am taking my Chevy 1500 SLT 4x4 gas or my Chevy 2500 HD diesel. The road is very rough, rocky and several shallow water crossings. I can make plus/minus cases for each vehicle. Which would you take?

12-Aug-17
Can you make your ATV street legal? I think MT has some similar rules, licensed and registered vehicles only, I know a few folks that made their rigs street legal.

WRT the vehicles, which one handles those conditions best? Ground clearance, lockers or limited slip? Lower gearing? Shorter wheelbase may handle tighter stuff better. Which one would you mind busting up the least?

I've got a old scout that's a bit modified (and more so every few months...) folks don't know what all is going on with it, but I get guys with shiny new rigs and all the store bought bolt on lifts and mods with 22" rims and bla bla bla pull up and tell me their rig will out climb and out crawl me. I tell them no it won't, it won't go where I go, and then sit back and listen to them tell my why it will. When they run out of air.... then I tell them no it won't again. Then explain that where I go will scratch, gouge, dent, and tear that shiny mall rig all to heck, that rig will not go where I go because YOU will never take it there.... and they shut up and walk away....

12-Aug-17
Trade them both In on a Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4....problem solved. On a serious note its hard for us to say without knowing all the variables. If your hauling more than the gas can handle I would opt for diesel. If the gas burner is up to the task then I would definitely go with 4x4.

12-Aug-17

12-Aug-17
2500 is a lot more truck.

13-Aug-17
If the 2500 is 2wd then opt for the 4wd 1500.

13-Aug-17
AG nailed it.... I just assumed both were 4x4...... if not easy choice, leave the 2x at home.....

13-Aug-17
I drive rough dirt roads every day for work. I tried both Ford and Chevy 4x4 diesels. On dirt roads that would get muddy they were fine, on the rough roads I'm on I was having a front end rebuilt every few months. The diesel motor was too heavy on the front end with all the jarring. Still keep a diesel for towing but when I know I'm going to be in the mud and not having to tow I take the gas everytime.

13-Aug-17
TD, Tom, I believer that can not be accomplished here in Colorado, ie, ATV, street legal, to access forest service land when posted.

13-Aug-17
Half tons are better off roading, the diesel is front heavy, don't listen to the dodge guy, I've listened to that bs for too long, I had 4 buddies that had the cummings in the dodge and I have the dreaded 6.0L, every single one of those trucks required a tow truck at one time or another, mine never has, and running better than ever!

13-Aug-17
We have a Razor side by side ATV, we have licensed & street legal, it can be taken where any vehicle can, works for us very well. We will be hauling it to WY this year, their off roads are not designed for regular size trucks! Check with National Forest or BLM lands of Management, most just require a 15.00 sticker for ATV to leagal its use!

If not legal then 100% take the 1500, the 2500 will be a lot rougher of a ride!

ElkNut/Paul

13-Aug-17
Does the 2500 sit up higher for more clearance? If so there is the answer for me. What is sad is you have to buy a 3/4 ton truck now to get to what the old 1/2 tons were.

13-Aug-17
It depends...1/2 tons usually have a little better traction simply because they are not as stiff...But tires make more of a difference than anything.

A 3/4 ton truck is simply a heavier sturdier suspension truck... I've had both, overall I prefer a 3/4 ton truck.

13-Aug-17
Motorcycles are easily licensed.

13-Aug-17
Leave the 1500 and 2500 at the trailhead and use an older CJ5 jeep, Four Runner, Tacoma, Ranger, S10, etc. They are shorter, lighter and narrower than the full size trucks and will travel down the "old stagecoach trails" with less problems.

13-Aug-17
What are the pros to the 2500? My understanding is the 2500 has a bigger engine and more towing capabilities? You won't need either for a rough road. Is the clearance better?

13-Aug-17
I would go with the 1500. I have a 2500 hd duramax and they aren't made for rough 4 wheeling, too big and heavy. Plus if it is a bad road I would rather beat up the cheaper 1500.

13-Aug-17
First of all, its really weird the forest service would out law ATV's on a really rough road, but allow trucks. I would guess your hunting in Pitkin county - they are a bit odd. Pitkin county was considering county regulation, but thats not a FS regulation.

A new pickup can cost $50,000 plus, and an ATV can be picked up for less than 20% of that. I'd call the forest service and remind them that Trump is president and they need to get rid of all regulation. I had gas GM trucks for years, and in 2015 I bought a duramax. I quickly found out diesels suck as 4x4 rigs. My truck unloaded weighs like 8800 lbs. If you hit mud, the lag in the turbo just bogs you down and your stuck. While the diesel is great for towing, next truck I get will be gas. Also, I really like the cab and looks of my GM truck, but their 4x4 system has sucked for years. Tire hop, problems shifting in and out, and more.

I do own ATV/UTV's, and they get hauled to my hunting camp spot and driven from there.

13-Aug-17
If you take the 1500 and I would, make sure you don't have LT tires. They can't take rocks and they have a tendency bust belts. I opted for some 10ply tires last time around and went from annual flats to none in a few years

13-Aug-17
If both are 4x4's, take the one you consider your beater.

13-Aug-17
310 nailed it. Tires would be the deciding factor for me.

13-Aug-17
Buy (or borrow) an older model taco, trailer it to the trailhead and you are in business!!

Mark

13-Aug-17
To each his own Jason but I have had all the big 3 manufacturers diesels and a 6.0l Chevy 2500. I tried to pull a 32' travel trailer once in a 20 mph head wind. Burned 3/4 a tank in 85 miles flat on the floor doing 60 mph. Traded it on my 1st 5.9 Cummins and never looked back. I have been over the scales at over 38,000#. We now run three 5.9 cummins and one 6.7 Cummins and they have never been towed. They range from 100k to 240k miles. I had a Duramax that went to 225k that was only towed once and a Powerstroke that went to 235k, it was only towed twice. Most all trucks will last now with proper care maintenance. Sure some models had problems when the epa implemented new emissions standards.

13-Aug-17
ground clearance, tires, wheel base/turning radius being equal I would take the 1/2 ton. I generally do not like the weight of a diesel offroad . And if you do get stuck and need to either dig, push or get pulled out, you will most certainly wish you were in the 1/2 ton. A dramatic difference between clearance, tires or wheel base and that would become my deciding factor.

14-Aug-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
As others said, ground clearance. I'd take this one, goes as good as any atv.

14-Aug-17

Scar Finga's embedded Photo
So I Built this, and also have a 2015 Polaris Ranger, this will go anywhere that will:) I have about 6K total into it. A/C, heater, and 26MPG. Believe it or not, it's 2002 KIA Sportage 4X4.
So I Built this, and also have a 2015 Polaris Ranger, this will go anywhere that will:) I have about 6K total into it. A/C, heater, and 26MPG. Believe it or not, it's 2002 KIA Sportage 4X4.
It's lifted about 4.5" total. It has more ground clearance than my Polaris that is lifted 3' . Fun, Fun, Fun, off road!
It's lifted about 4.5" total. It has more ground clearance than my Polaris that is lifted 3' . Fun, Fun, Fun, off road!

14-Aug-17
Nice ride Scar.

14-Aug-17
Thanks Link,

I saw and drone one up in Pine a few years ago, and wanted to build one ever since. It goes anywhere I am brave enough to take it.

14-Aug-17

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Either one. I guided and hunted all over Colorado in a stock F150 with no major issues. It went some amazing places but after 10 years it had its share of scars. If the road is bad enough to where actually making it in or out is an issue, you should have something more purpose built with a winch, lockers, clearance, etc. The big diesels are pretty capable but when you do get one buried they are handful.

I usually have a spare 4x4 of some sort. I've had 4Runners & Land Cruisers mostly (93-97 Land Cruiser with factory lockers is amazing) and currently have a '94 Isuzu Trooper. Neat little rig that I drive almost daily because its fun and save miles on my truck. Since Isuzu doesn't sell consumer vehicles here anymore you can pick them up cheap. The manual trans is the better bet.

So, I would probably take your 1500 but if its a serious road with potential for damage, it could make sense to buy a little used Tacoma, 4Runner, Trooper, Cherokee, etc and just sell it when you get home.

14-Aug-17

drmike's embedded Photo
drmike's embedded Photo
All, thanks for your thoughts and suggestions! I decided to take the 1500. Both trucks have Goodyear Wrangler A/T tires, but several good points mentioned above made me pick the 1500. Besides, it's my wife's truck! Good luck elk hunting everyone!

14-Aug-17
Wow, I thought I upgraded when I bought a F250 Diesel this past Saturday.

14-Aug-17
You Did!

14-Aug-17
If I was making the decision I would choose the 1500. with good tires.

14-Aug-17
Most any 4x4 can handle pretty rough roads, until ground clearance becomes a factor. Snow is another issue. In light to moderate conditions explorers SUV's ect... actually do a little better than trucks normally. But once you get in deep snow ect...the lower ground clearance causes the snow to pack under your vehicle and then they are not as good. I think we discussed this at length over on leatherwall one time.

I live back a long lane, our explorer does great until the snow gets deep, then its lower ground clearance becomes an issue. I can literally go around my wife stuck in her explorer hook my dodge 2500 up and pull her. been there done that.

14-Aug-17
Pretty crazy sign posted above, especially when looking at the road. I would be very curious about the laws/rules and decision making behind it

15-Aug-17
I was told they closed the road to ATVs, UTVs and motorcycles is because of stream restoration that runs parallel to the logging road. The interesting thing is that from here, the stream then runs through an old mining tailings. At this point, it becomes heavily contaminated with heavy metals. :(

• Sitka Gear