onX Maps
NWT incredible trip with Raven's Throat!
Wild Sheep
Contributors to this thread:
glidingindian 13-Aug-17
wild1 13-Aug-17
glidingindian 13-Aug-17
TREESTANDWOLF 13-Aug-17
t-roy 13-Aug-17
kota-man 13-Aug-17
glidingindian 13-Aug-17
Mark Watkins 13-Aug-17
Paul@thefort 14-Aug-17
BULELK1 14-Aug-17
pav 14-Aug-17
Drahthaar 14-Aug-17
Southern draw 14-Aug-17
Dennis Razza 14-Aug-17
deerhaven 14-Aug-17
Hawkeye 14-Aug-17
Pigsticker 14-Aug-17
SteveB 14-Aug-17
SBH 14-Aug-17
sticksender 14-Aug-17
DEMO-Bowhunter 14-Aug-17
loesshillsarcher 14-Aug-17
iceman 14-Aug-17
OFFHNTN 14-Aug-17
njbuck 14-Aug-17
GhostBird 14-Aug-17
Scar Finga 14-Aug-17
Scar Finga 14-Aug-17
Zackman 14-Aug-17
Pigsticker 14-Aug-17
gottoohunt 14-Aug-17
Buffalo1 14-Aug-17
Brotsky 14-Aug-17
Bigpizzaman 14-Aug-17
Medicinemann 14-Aug-17
Stekewood 14-Aug-17
LWood 14-Aug-17
Cajunarcher 14-Aug-17
Treeline 17-Aug-17
Kurt 18-Aug-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
Bowboy 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
GhostBird 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
glidingindian 07-Sep-17
sticksender 07-Sep-17
Franklin 08-Sep-17
glidingindian 08-Sep-17
glidingindian 08-Sep-17
Rut Nut 08-Sep-17
SteveB 08-Sep-17
DEMO-Bowhunter 08-Sep-17
glidingindian 08-Sep-17
GhostBird 08-Sep-17
glidingindian 08-Sep-17
Paul@thefort 28-Sep-17
IdyllwildArcher 28-Sep-17
Trial153 28-Sep-17
The last savage 28-Sep-17
geoffp 01-Oct-17
Treeline 01-Oct-17
BowJangles 25-Feb-19
Ambush 25-Feb-19
yeager 25-Feb-19
HUNT MAN 25-Feb-19
Adventurewriter 25-Feb-19
SBH 25-Feb-19
Iowabowhunter 18-Mar-19
glidingindian 25-Aug-21
Trial153 26-Aug-21
Inshart 26-Aug-21
Potro 26-Aug-21
Beav 26-Aug-21
Glidingindian 26-Aug-21
Trial153 27-Aug-21
13-Aug-17

glidingindian's embedded Photo
Took a risk to go on my first sheep hunt with Griz and Ginger Turner at Raven's Throat Outfitters in NWT. They bought out Redstone but only got the deal done in April. Having lost a couple steps in the last few years I felt an urgency to go and after talking to Griz and several references from his Wyoming business I booked. I knew there would be a few bumps due to the late start up but what happened shocked me. There were no bumps, no excuses, no problems of any kind. It was a flawless, incredible experience. Great guides, staff, pilots, even all the other hunters were delightful. Have been really busy since getting home so forgive the abbreviated nature of my post. I killed a great Dall, respectable caribou and found out quickly how old guys get their ass kicked in the mountains. My guide was a professional baseball player and 40 years my junior and was a beast to hunt with. I hurt a knee, a hip and a shoulder and almost quit in the middle when another hunter left on his Citation 6 with an offer to fly me home. Glad I stayed! Griz has openings for moose/caribou this September and he has some giants, cannot recommend them highly enough. Hard working, extremely organized and knowledgeable and smiling and laughing all the time! What a gift and a blessing this hunt was, hope some of you guys follow me there Thank you again to Cajun Archer, Sticksender, Medicineman and Rob Register for their time and advice in making this hunt happen. Hope I can return the favor some day my friends!

13-Aug-17
Wow, that's a beauty!! Congratulations! Feel free to add more pictures or a story, if you get the time.

13-Aug-17

Last day caribou, got back to the tent at 4:30 am for the second time that week totally spent. Albert Haas

13-Aug-17
Great trip!

Congrats!

13-Aug-17
Congrats on your success, & for sticking with it!

13-Aug-17
Congrats on a great adventure!

13-Aug-17
Last day caribou, got back to the tent at 4:30 am for the second time that week totally spent. Albert Haas

13-Aug-17
Congrats!!

Way to stick with it and get it done (twice)!!!

Mark

14-Aug-17
Not bad at all for a flat lander. Very nice indeed. Paul

14-Aug-17
Good for you!!

Damn nice Trophy's right there.

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

14-Aug-17
Excellent! Persistence sure paid off!

Congrats!

14-Aug-17
Congratulations, beautiful trophies. Forrest

14-Aug-17
Congrats !!

14-Aug-17
Way to stick with it! Congrats on 2 beautiful trophies!!

14-Aug-17
Glad you were able to gut it out. Looks like it paid off big time. That's a beautiful ram!

14-Aug-17
Congrats!!! Awesome animals and thanks for sharing:)

14-Aug-17
Congratulations, absolutely wonderful looking ram and that bou is a big plus!

14-Aug-17
Congratulations! So glad to hear you stuck it out and look at the reward!

14-Aug-17
OH HELLS YA! Looks and sounds awesome. Made me smile to imagine being there. Great job and glad it was such a good experience. CONGRATS

14-Aug-17
Albert what a great result, congratulations to you man!

14-Aug-17
Congrats! Well Done!

14-Aug-17
Awesome!! Congrats!!

14-Aug-17
Wow! What a trip. That's a great ram. Way to stick it out. Thanks for sharing.

14-Aug-17
Congrats on two awesome animals!!! Funny, I actually tried to google Raven's Throat a few days ago, but they don't even have a website setup yet.

14-Aug-17
Congrats on two amazing trophies!

14-Aug-17
Congratulations... good stuff.

14-Aug-17
Excellent for sure! Congratulations!!!

14-Aug-17
Excellent for sure! Congratulations!!!

14-Aug-17
Congrats! Amazing place up there

14-Aug-17
Congratulations, absolutely wonderful looking ram and that bou is a big plus!

14-Aug-17
Looks like you had an awesome trip, now how about the stories. Gottoohunt

14-Aug-17
Great trophies there. Congrats on your persistence. It paid off !!

14-Aug-17
Awesome job! Congrats on a couple beautiful trophies!

14-Aug-17
Congrats!!!!!

14-Aug-17
Well done, Albert!! The power of persistence.....

14-Aug-17
Sweet! Congratulations.

14-Aug-17
Congratulations, Albert. Sounds like a great hunt!

Lenny

14-Aug-17
Awesome animals Albert! Huge congrats and way to stay committed . Call me sometime when u get a minute I would love to hear your story!!!

17-Aug-17
Couple of fabulous trophies there! Congratulations!

Definitely not a walk in the park up there in that country!

18-Aug-17
Albert, great ram and bou! What a hunt! Congratulations! Kurt

07-Sep-17
Well I guess it is time to try and tell the tale of my crazy NWT adventure. Have been so busy since getting home I couldn't find the time. Unfortunately I now have the time

In my original post I mentioned that I hurt my left hip, right knee and left shoulder on my trip and almost left early. Oddly , the hip had hurt for two years on almost a daily basis and an extensive work up did not show a clear source of the pain. When I hurt it chasing my sheep it was so severe and so abrupt I couldn't walk for a couple hours and struggled the rest of the trip using trekking poles even in camp. Now it is totally pain free!! I suspect I tore a degenerative tendon , much like a biceps rupture in the shoulder giving pain relief. The knee had to be drained and injected and now it is doing fine despite the fact MRI shows a torn medial meniscus and significant patellofemoral arthritis. The shoulder got worse and an MRI shows a significant rotator cuff tear. Got it injected to try and get thru the season (February I hope) as I did for my right shoulder cuff tear a few years back. Started shooting again so I Accepted an invite to hunt with my great friend in Idaho Mark Stone (we met thru Bowsite! )for end of September and taking my oldest son. Just moved to a new house and was moving some stuff around in my hunting room this past weekend when severe right leg and hip pain started . I now am lying in bed with a ruptured disc at L4-5 on the right. Can't sleep, can't stand for over 15 seconds without severe pain. Peeing in a hand held urinal and watching some really bad hunting shows. Wife looking for any excuse to leave the house. Getting a selective nerve root block later today and if no better surgery next week So I am lying here at 3 am with time on my hands and decided to write up my story between episodes of whining like a little school girl with a hangnail!

Hopefully I can tell the good part of this story in a way that will do justice to the people and the places and the animals involved. If it drags on just tell me to pick it up or shut up. Hopefully being on pain meds and steroids will help my writing skills Albert

07-Sep-17
Wonder how many of you will see yourselves in this personal tale. Like many Bowsiters I have dreamed of going on that once-in-a-lifetime true adventure hunt for many years. Time away from work and family and money are the biggest issues for most and I am no exception. I grew up in Alabama in a family of old guard traditional turkey hunters and in those younger years didn't know anyone who hunted in far away places. My dream was to hunt local animals in nearby places when I grew up. Moved to Dallas in my 20's to do a residency in Orthopaedic Surgery and my eyes were opened to what I had been missing. My wonderful friends there took me elk hunting with our stick bows. It was exciting, beautiful , affordable and I could go every year and only miss a week of work. I became addicted and have been 25 years straight. Buying a landowner tag from Huntinfool 20 years ago I met the owner , Garth Carter. Guided him on a fantastic turkey hunt and he spent most of the time talking about sheep hunting. That was almost twenty years ago that the seed was planted. I branched out and did a few great moose hunts , a goat hunt and mule deer but couldn't pull the trigger on sheep . A couple of guys I know here in Mobile killed a sheep slam but it is really when I started reading sheep hunting stories on Bowsite that the bug hit. I met My friend Mark Stone from Idaho on Bowsite when I was looking for help with a moose hunt I had drawn. Mark had drawn four sheep tags in 5 years and he really lit the fire. Unfortunately I had a series of surgeries over a few years and it looked like I would never make it This spring I saw a picture of a group of friends and asked who the gray haired older guy was. It was me.

07-Sep-17
Hopefully there is some info in this tale that will help others wanting to sheep hunt Realizing I was getting older faster than I wanted to admit was tough. I needed to go now or it wouldn't happen. So this spring I started some random research thinking it would be a matter of picking an outfitter , writing a check and getting in shape. Wrong again aging flatland boy! I didn't make it to any of the big shows which I now know is a huge mistake. The outfitters will give their cancellation opportunities to previous clients and those they meet at the shows, not some tire kicking redneck they have never met. The better outfitters are booked several years in advance. Jim Lancasters Laird area was,booked until 2021. ARRO had a cancellation the day I called and by the time I checked with my office to get my time off it was booked Several Bowsiters ( Medicineman, Cajunarcher, Sticksender) chipped in with great advice and let me drop their names but nothing was open. Rob Register had done a tremendous amount of research and shared it with me. On his advice I decided to focus on the NWT due to theoretically less weather issues, some good bow hunting terrain, and helicopter deployment. The choppers give you extra days to hunt, especially helpful if u tag one animal and can fly him out and go back hunting. I heard that Stan Simpson had sold and Canol was the new name with openings. The new outfitter is the famous female sheep guide Glenda Groat. She booked her last opening the day before I called. She told me that Redstone had sold to Griz and Ginger Turner from Wyoming and she thought they would do great and she knew they had openings. Not wanting to go with a new operation that only had three months to prepare I passed. Then Harold Grinde at Gana River told me the same thing, call Griz and Ginger , they are great folks. So I called Griz

07-Sep-17

Griz Turner could sell sand to an Arab was my thought after we talked. I checked his Wyoming hunt references, all 5 star unequivocal recommendations. He also goes thru Whitehorse which saves a day of travel and another flight. After one conversation I booked. On Bowsite I got great advice but one comment stands out. Ambush wrote " you will suffer, then you will suffer some more". Kind of dramatic I thought. Damn was he right ! Immediately I went into overdrive, ordering gear, getting in sheep shape. Reading all Bowsite posts on sheep hunting where there were many great pearls of wisdom. Before I knew it I was on short final into Whitehorse

07-Sep-17
Congrats on two great animals. Thanks for sharing.

07-Sep-17

The High Country Inn in Whitehorse is an iconic hotel where a lot of hunters stay. It is in town which is convenient but they only have a few rooms with AC. The summer can be really hot and it was really uncomfortable. I met up with Jon Carpenter who is the point man for Raven's Throat Outfitters in Whitehorse. What a cool, delightful and hard working guy! This trip was starting off just right. Met the other hunters going in and one coming out. The hunter coming out was Lincoln Tapp, a 16 year old bow hunting beast. He has a show called Youngwild and could not have been more pleasant. He had killed a fine ram that week on his next to last day and he had some of the finest video I have ever seen. Jon loaded the us up on the Otter and we were off to Hay Hook Lake on a 2 hour flight. The other hunters were Wayne Lennington from Nashville and father/son team Jeff and Luke Gorski from Houston

07-Sep-17

On arrival to camp the first thing I noticed was how organized everything was and how everyone was smiling and laughing, while they worked. Really set the tone. I was first guy up for deployment so I met my guide Logan and went thru my gear, shot my bow then loaded up. My guide was 40 years younger than me and just left the Seattle Mariners farm team to be a full time guide. Talk about a mismatch.

07-Sep-17

Andre was our chopper pilot and like everyone else he knew his stuffand was really pleasant. We deployed to an area with a good bit of timber where they had seen a band of rams a few days earlier while scouting. We landed in a beautiful valley with big a stream , and lots of grizzly sign. Logan promptly handed me another 40 lbs of tent and food to carry along with my 50lbs in my backpack. The ass whipping of the novice from sea level had begun!

07-Sep-17

I failed to mention that on arrival I had to make a quick run to the outhouse. When I saw the reading material I knew I would be right at home

07-Sep-17
Enjoying the story. Being an old broke up traditional Alabama turkey hunter myself, I am already seeing myself in the story. Keep it coming.

07-Sep-17

Day one was a half day hike to top of the mountain but no sheep. Day two rained all day, stuck in the tent. By the way these guys provide a two man, new Hilleberg tent for each hunter.. nice. Day three we hiked several hours and glassed with nothing but a lot of fog and clouds. Then about 7 pm the clouds parted and the rams appeared across the valley- for 30 seconds. Then the fog rolled in and after several hours it was back to the tent. However, we saw enough to know there were two no questions asked shooters in the band and I had high hope for day four. That's when things got pretty western

07-Sep-17
Day four Logan and I headed back to the same ridge as the day before to glass. Although a little sore and tired I was fine. we found the rams from the previous day and they were down low, in a great spot for a stalk. We glassed them for a while then made our move , and promptly blew them out of the valley. My heart sank as they kept going and going before disappearing over the ridge. It seemed unlikely that with my extensive three days of sheep hunting that it would have been my fault but the opinion poll I took sure seemed to think so. I assumed we would go to another valley to find other sheep but Logan simply said " let's go" and headed toward where we last saw them. Standing there looking at where we had to go I was intimidated, and soon found out what Ambush meant by "yes , you will suffer"

07-Sep-17

"We gotta go where?"
"We gotta go where?"
Day four Logan and I headed back to the same ridge as the day before to glass. Although a little sore and tired I was fine. we found the rams from the previous day and they were down low, in a great spot for a stalk. We glassed them for a while then made our move , and promptly blew them out of the valley. My heart sank as they kept going and going before disappearing over the ridge. It seemed unlikely that with my extensive three days of sheep hunting that it would have been my fault but the opinion poll I took sure seemed to think so. I assumed we would go to another valley to find other sheep but Logan simply said " let's go" and headed toward where we last saw them. Standing there looking at where we had to go I was intimidated, and soon found out what Ambush meant by "yes , you will suffer"

07-Sep-17

We made a huge half circle around the rim of the canyon, the roughest and steepest to,date. As we entered the next canyon Logan said to drop our packs in the timber and ease along the face of the mountain and glass. While sitting on a bald open rock shelf he said " crap, they are right here!!" I looked on a bench below us about 300 yds and there stood the biggest ram and two young rams with nothing between us but air. How they didn't see us I don't know and the second shooter was no where in sight. We were pinned down in the wide open and with our packs 150 yds away it started to blow. And rain. And the temperature really started to drop

07-Sep-17
The big ram was a giant and Logan got really excited. To me it was just a legal sheep! He made t clear this was a special rand got want to shoot it with a rifle. I thought for a moment but wasn't there for a rifle kill and passed. After watching them for tw hours and getting really cold and wet nothing really changed with those rams. Then suddenly the second shooter ram appeared feeding below us and working up the hillside. I asked Logan if he was a shooter and his reply was he was a nice old broomed off ram. He again offered the rifle to shoot big boy. By now the second big ram was working his way up and was only 110 yds. The problem is I had earlier scooted carefully toward Logan to look over the her ram with his spotter. Now my bow was 15 ft away and there was zero cover. He slid the rifle to me but I decided ease to my bow. With his head down I would inch over and stop when he looked up. At 85 yds I got my hand on my bow. The ram then walked across the face we were on an started getting closer. At 60 yds he looked right at us. Then he started angling closer. Logan was giving me ranges and said to draw when he wasn't looking. I did and the ram started walking right at me. He stopped at 32 yds and I said I would wait til he was broadside. I leveled the bow and put the pin in the center of his chest to be ready for the shot, unfortunately as soon as the pin settled I shot! Basically target panick type reflex. Logan said " you hit him good, he's going down" as the ram stumbled the stopped and staggered. Blood was pouring out. Then he gathered himself and walked over the ridge.

07-Sep-17

We both thought the ram would be just over the ridge so Logan went to get the packs. I eased over the ridge following a great blood trail , and the ram was hobbling over the next ridge. This repeated itself for several ridges until he put some distance between us. Several hours later we spotted him bedded at the base of a pointed ridge. We worked in above him and after a quick range I drew and stepped to my left. Suddenly something popped in my left hip and I fell to the ground in severe pain. The ram started hobbling away and I was writhing on the ground. Logan shoved the rifle in my hands and said to shoot him, 200 yds. I was in agony but knew I had to finish him off . I laid on a rock And settled the crosshairs and shot. We both thought it was a good hit and the ram went over the edge into a deep ravine. I could not stand so Logan went back for the packs and got my trekking poles. I was sad it had ended this way and took over an hour to get to the ravine. And the ram was gone! And no blood! I had missed completely and suddenly I see the ram walking away at 800 yds, disappearing around the mountain. In pain and disgusted with myself i hobbled for 6 1/2 hours to the tent thru thick, grizzly Scat and track infested. Next day I could barely get out of the tent to pee. Logan spent 10 hours looking for the ram, nothing. The next morning we called the chopper in to go to base camp and rest and maybe huntbcaribou. He circled an extra time coming in then Griz hopped out and said mynram was lying on the ridge above us 400 yds from the camp! I had shot him 3 miles away ! In case he was alive we had to wait 12 hours due to the helicopter use. I struggled up the mountain to find him and pack him out the next am, Hurting my right knee in the process. Although disappointed in my shooting I am grateful for the stroke of luck to find him. The reality of less than perfect bow hunting was weighing heavily on me, especially when I saw the massive wound. He was a great ram with 14 1/4 inch bases.

07-Sep-17

We returned to base camp,to find Wayne , Luke and Jeff all tagged out. Bryan Martin of Asian Mountain Outfitters was still out having missed first three days due to weather. We celebrated and the next day everyone had a new pain to deal with. Jeff graciously offered to fly me to Houston on his jet and I got weak for a moment. Then I decided to stay

07-Sep-17

We deployed the next day with fuzzy heads to a valley not too far from camp. There were plenty of caribou and a couple hours after landing a nice bull came over to check us out. 12 hours is a long time ! The next am we woke up to- no caribou! It got hot and they went high. I watched a grizzly 1/2 mile away for two hours digging up a hillside but no caribou until late in the day. We saw some giants but none close enough to hunt. It was really beautiful watching caribou, grizzly, sheep and moose from one spot

07-Sep-17

I wore Logan out
I wore Logan out

07-Sep-17

On the last day we managed to catch up to a bull and had a wonderful stalk. He isn't a giant but I couldn't be happier. As I took the shot I felt a sharp pain in my left shoulder and when I got home MRI confirmed a rotator cuff tear. MRI of knee shows a medial meniscus tear. The hip is well!, Still wouldn't trade for any hunt I have ever done

07-Sep-17

Packing out the bull tougher than the sheep, arriving back at camp again at 4 :30 am totally exhausted. Cannot say enough about Griz and Ginger Turner and their crew at Raven's Throat. Simply flawless experience and so much laughter too. How they pulled this off in such short order I don't know

07-Sep-17
Wow you took a beating and never gave up. Way to get 'er done....huge congrats again!

08-Sep-17
What a ADVENTURE....unreal. And you tagged out to boot. A little advice on the back...if you have a true herniated disc a shot won`t do anything....a bulging disk maybe....herniated no. If you monkey around with pressure on that nerve for too long you could suffer permanent nerve damage like me. Can`t sidehill on my left leg without my ankle just rolling over. Really put a crimp in my hunting adventures....Good luck to you.

08-Sep-17
We made a huge half circle around the rim of the canyon, the roughest and steepest to,date. As we entered the next canyon Logan said to drop our packs in the timber and ease along the face of the mountain and glass. While sitting on a bald open rock shelf he said " crap, they are right here!!" I looked on a bench below us about 300 yds and there stood the biggest ram and two young rams with nothing between us but air. How they didn't see us I don't know and the second shooter was no where in sight. We were pinned down in the wide open and with our packs 150 yds away it started to blow. And rain. And the temperature really started to drop

08-Sep-17
Franklin - hate it you were left with a deficit , I am worried about long term damage as well and will only do one SElective nerve root block. Surgery next week if no better. The odds are not good but occasionally it works . Thanks to you and Lee (Sticksender) for the posts, hell I have nothing to do but lay around and bitch on the iPad!

08-Sep-17
Wow- what an adventure! And GREAT persistence on your part! Congrats!

But I have one question for you: How in the world did you get that sheep to walk 2 and 3/4 miles straight to you camp and die there???!!! ;-)

08-Sep-17
One heck of an adventure....and now you have done it! At 62, I'm beginning to doubt that I will get this off my list. Congratulations!

08-Sep-17
Sweet deal!! Congrats on two fine animals!

08-Sep-17
Thank you for guys for kind comments. Am laid up at the house waiting on back surgery next week, cancelled rest of hunts for this year including first hunt on my new farm tomorrow with sons for opening day of dove season. They are in Tuscaloosa at the Uof A and I'm not so sure they were unhappy to be forced to spend the day with college girls and cold beer instead of the old man. Told my wife when I booked the hunt with Raven's Throat that I had to do it right away before something happened and I couldn't go. How prophetic, 4 separate injuries and 3 MRI proven pathologies in 3 weeks!! I turn 62 Sunday, still hope to make a moose caribou hunt with RT next year. Google them up,and look at their season kill pics. Holy cow, they are on fire!! Have a trip to Idaho in two weeks with oldest boy but it looks grim , cannot give up until I have surgery.

08-Sep-17
Best of luck on the procedures. Glad you got through the hunt.

08-Sep-17

Rut nut-the ram had to cross multiple ridges and valleys, go around a mountain , cross a creek and up another steep mountain (to me a mountain) and died where he could see our camp and probably hear us talking. In the pic above I am standing with my back to the camera . I shot the ram on the far right side of the mountain in front of me , went around that maountain and across the stream in that valley and up the smaller mountain to the left. Now the ugly part. I took a shot reflexively that I never intended and never have before. With the wind, cold , fatigue and rain I knew to wait til he was broadside. The shot entered only one inch to the Side of his breast bone and my guide said the ram turned a bit as I shot. It deflected a bit off his breast . One more reason not to take that shot. I had even told young Lincoln Tapp after watching him make the same shot on video at 48 yds I had never taken that shot and never would. He has that skill and confidence and chose the right conditions and it was perfect. Please understand my embarrassment at showing you the wound , his shoulder was shattered. I assume his skin kept tearing as he travelled. Even with best intentions we make mistakes, and that fine ram deserved better. Hopefully my mistake will reinforce the difficulty of that shot. We did recover the meat and cooked steaks that morning. A stroke of luck changed this story from one of disappointment to success.

28-Sep-17
Al, I got to tell you, every time I see a bow killed Dall Sheep on Bowsite, I start to salivate, and my mouth is wet as Hell right now. What a great story told of your adventure. Next time, just take it easy on the young guides, they will appreciate it. Hope your body mends so you can get back on another dream hunt. my best, Paul

28-Sep-17
Incredible story.

28-Sep-17
great hunt, thanks for sharing. I have to get this same hunt on the books soon! inspiring !

28-Sep-17
No matter how you portray yourself in this story..you're resilience is nothing short of admirable! Great hunt and story my friend!!!congrats

01-Oct-17
HUGE congrats, from a guy who also went sheep hunting this year and was not able to seal the deal!! A monumental accomplishment.

01-Oct-17
Awesome hunt and great job telling the story! Wishing you a full and short recovery so that you can get back out there and live up to your handle! Hope you are doing well.

25-Feb-19
Outstanding story and awesome ram!

25-Feb-19
I must have missed this hunt too, Happy it came up again!!

Great display of courage, conviction and honesty! Belated congratulations!!

How about a pic of the mount?

25-Feb-19
Congratulations on an awesome hunt and great story. Hope you get better.

25-Feb-19
Somehow I missed this one. What a great hunt and congrats on your animals

25-Feb-19
Awesome story I met Griz and Ginger and have become friend the last few years in the show circuit GREAT people...

25-Feb-19
Glad this got bumped back up. What a cool hunt. Really liked the compliments on your guide and your honesty on the shot. Thanks for sharing.

18-Mar-19
Fantastic adventure. Mind me asking what your bow/arrow setup was?

25-Aug-21
Was looking for my old thread while planning my return to Ravens Throat in September and didn’t realize several had posted in 2019 with questions and comments. Fun to hear from the prophet Ambush! Wish you were nt so damn truthful on your prediction IBH -I was shooting an old Mathews Drenalin at only 58 lbs with FMJ 400s, g5 strikers and trophy Ridge React 5 pin sight. For the “rest of the story” - I never had surgery for the ruptured disc on my right side. Several epidurals and months later it went away the day after scheduled surgery and has never returned. I was rebooked with Ravens Throat in 2018 for moose / caribou and had to cancel the day before due to a ruptured disc on my LEFt side! Damn. Then I ruptured a disc a week later in my neck and the whole Season went to hell. After some IM and oral steroids then a cervical epidural I slowly recovered from the cervical ruptured disc. Finally had back surgery and did well. Rebooked last year for moose /caribou and we all know the rest of that story. They had a cancellation this year and I was on the list and started scrambling a month ago.Flights are limited and expensive, Canadian North quit flying on sundays, testing for Covid to return to the us is limited, and my normal arrows (FMJs ) are on back order. Had to find a dozen in New York on eBay from Whitney’s , Chad was great. Dates changed three times in a week due to all the above. Just found out that the authorities in NWT shut down the office that handles trophy and meat export due to 2 cases of Covid in NWT. Will have to wait til next year for trophies and no meat, which I really hate. Anyone coming back thru Edmonton needs to know how to contact NUMI who does the testing for Covid. They will bend the hours a little if available staff to get you tested It would be easier to go to Alaska on a cancelled hunt or wait til next year but Griz and Ginger just too good to think about a change . True professionals and with a smile , no matter the obstacles. Always I’ll turn 66 while on this trip and know it is my last big boy adventure. Hat is tough to admit. Will go back to elk and deer and turkeys and wing shooting. Make no mistake, my sheep hunt there the greatest adventure of my life , hope this one right up there too and I hope to report this hunt with less drama. Appreciate all the kind comments ! And to all you younger guys dreaming of these adventures go do what all the older guys told me when I was younger. GO NOW so you don’t have to write the story I did !

26-Aug-21
Last i checked ravens throat was no longer booking bowhunters for their sheep hunts. Sorry to looks like a great place

26-Aug-21
WOW, what an adventure --- also missed this 2017 & 2019, thanks for bringing it up. By the sounds of it, I think the good Lord has been watching over you and perhaps has more trips planned for your future.

26-Aug-21
Outstanding animals and fantastic story!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!

26-Aug-21
Nice trophies and thanks for sharing!

26-Aug-21
They no longer allow bow hunting. Rifle hunting for first time in many years. Arrows for elk hunt on return. Hard to believe how many unrelated things Covid has affected

27-Aug-21
Yes I messaged them pre COVID to book a hunt and was told bow hunting was no go. Scratched that plan. Don’t plan on supporting outfitters that wouldn’t take a bow hunter.

• Sitka Gear