jordanathome 17-Aug-17
EmbryOklahoma 17-Aug-17
t-roy 17-Aug-17
wyobullshooter 17-Aug-17
Grunt-N-Gobble 18-Aug-17
15-Aug-17

Lark Bunting's embedded Photo
Are you one that paints their face, or do you go a la naturelle?

I see a split when looking at successful trophy poses and even some of the celebrity hunters are split, though trends seem to be leaning to not painting up the old mug.

So, do you use some sort of face paint or do you think it's not necessary?

15-Aug-17
Totally unnecessary. Often hours before we are near water or anything to wash and I hate the stuff. Really screws up the sleeping bag and pillow.

15-Aug-17
face paint. cant stand a mask. my camp pillow and sleeping bag smell like farts anyway so they are ruined to start.

15-Aug-17

Phil Magistro's embedded Photo
Phil Magistro's embedded Photo
For many years I wore paint. Then I started using a mask and never looked back.

15-Aug-17
Used to years ago until I got tired of my face getting dried out from washing it off. Since I've quit, the elk haven't noticed. ;-)

15-Aug-17
Sometimes a few lines, the key is a non symmetrical pattern. Less is more. The stupid WFF/KISS make up the "celebs" put on is annoying and useless.

15-Aug-17
Facemask for me, generally a neck gaiter that I pull up over my nose/face under a ball cap.

15-Aug-17
I tried the masks but they felt weird when anchoring and I didn't practice enough to continue using one. I used paint when I first started hunting a few years ago mainly because, well..."When in Rome"...and I was new, and my young son was with me and always saw the TV hunters doing it.

Even though I don't use it any more I still have it in my pack, just in case. ;)

15-Aug-17
Definitely not necessary. Have killed with face paint and without. I personally can't stand masks so I use paint when I feel I need the added concealment.

15-Aug-17
I wear a natural face mask(beard). If I'm going to sit a waterhole or something I might put on a mask but no paint.

15-Aug-17
Half mask I wear around my neck until go time

15-Aug-17
I don't 90% of the time, but when things haven't been working and I need to change something up because it's getting to be the last couple days or crunch time or whatever, I've been known to dabble with the 'ol paints. Sometimes it's my good luck charm.

Used to use face masks and I don't like them at all.

Don't use anything for whitetails. It's either full foliage, or so cold I am wearing a neckwarmer. Not really anything in between here.

15-Aug-17
I use paint when I think I need it. Tried using a fleece mask on a colder hunt once and luckily took a practice shot. Was hitting way left. Even at 30 yards I was about 6-8inches off due to the thickness of mask.

15-Aug-17
Link, I quit shaving in April but keep it trimmed on the sides as I have to look somewhat respectable for when I see clients.

I remember trying burned cork when we first started because I read it was a good alternative. lol

15-Aug-17
Sometimes I paint. I don't care for masks. A bare face sticks out like a sore thumb when you look at your buddies in the woods but I'm not sure its as obvious to critters. Movement is the big issue.

15-Aug-17
I use paint. Can't stand a mask over my face and would fear my string getting caught in it and ripping it off my face. I don't take a lot of time to put it on and I don't do some fancy design. I put it on most of the time in the tree and I don't even know what I look like. When I get home, it honestly takes about 1 minute to wash it off.

15-Aug-17
Thin Camo Buff which can double as a cap/balaclava/ear warmer. Does not affect anchor point.

15-Aug-17

BOWNUT's embedded Photo
BOWNUT's embedded Photo
The face paint is a pain to take off but I like It better then a mask.

15-Aug-17

I left camp at around 1:00 in the afternoon with my son and by chance we jumped a doe from her bed. I happened to have an either sex archery tag in my pocket and I'd never killed a big game animal before. There she was, broadside to me and not moving, I think we were both holding our breath. I had to turn my feet, remove an arrow from my quiver, knock the arrow, range her, all with my young son literally face mushed in my backpack and frozen. As I drew back he had to duck my elbow........all this commotion and neither of us with our faces covered. Neither were my son's arms.

But, it's funny, because I swear I've seen elk bolt because I blinked. LMBO

15-Aug-17
Neither for me

15-Aug-17
No face paint here for any of us. (5 hunters) Elk don't care, it's ones movements that can alert them paint or no paint! Good luck!

ElkNut/Paul

15-Aug-17
Never did it but half the camp half the camp makes fun of the other half that does. To me there no need but if it gives you even a tiny bit more confidence in your setup by all means have at it. You can never have too much positivity going into your ambush.

15-Aug-17
Bare face for elk hunting. Typically use a mask deer hunting, but not usually during early season. I've painted on rare occasions when it was warm and I wanted better face concealment.

15-Aug-17
Used to where a facemask... then I realized every bull I killed that my facemask was around my neck. Quit wearing one 10 years ago.

15-Aug-17
Face mask for me.

15-Aug-17
BOWNUT, maybe you prefer face paint, but the rest of us vote for the mask! lol!

15-Aug-17
face mask, but for those of you who do use paint, don't copy the ones you see on the tube, those are copyrighted.

Terry

15-Aug-17
I went to using masks years ago. Some models are not workable for me being too bulky, rigid, etc., but I finally found one that works best for me and have never looked back. I also think a a mask can help to breakup the symmetrical outline or shape of the face in certain settings, which could be an advantage. Never had any problem adjusting to using one in regard to getting to my anchor point though. For me it's simply a matter of preference and having experiences with both. The cleanup and having to wipe off the sweat off your face (often here in AZ) always makes for a mess that I don't need. Face masks are easily stuffed in a pocket and can be put on in seconds. Works for me.

15-Aug-17
cannot stand masks. normally will throw on some carbomask. a few big smears or lines across my mug just to break up my face. that stuff comes off real easy with little water and a paper towl.

15-Aug-17
I prefer it over a mask just because of my glasses fogging up. But i haven't been painting lately. If I do I use a burnt piece of cork charcoal, or a piece of burnt bark and spread it on my face. It comes off really easy.

15-Aug-17
never got the paint thing.

15-Aug-17
So far this thread is leaning to the fact most don't use paint. However, watching elk hunting videos and seeing the photos online it seems that majority of the elk hunters out there still use it. Very interesting!

15-Aug-17
Lark, that doe saw you make no mistake. They'll often just stand there and watch. Curiosity is what killed her, not that fact that she couldn't see you.

Movement is always what animals see. But sometimes great camo can help you get away with slow movements. That would include the face.

15-Aug-17
I wear a beard during hunting season and have a neck gaiter around my neck. I have a wide brimmed hat and make sure my face is in the shadow of the brim.

After that, if they spook because of my baby blues, so be it.

15-Aug-17
Mask for me. I like the Quaker Boy Bandito 3/4 mask the best. Paint was too much of a hassle for me. Painting up is fine as long as it doesn't turn into a fashion state, or unless you plan on going to a KISS concert after your hunt.

15-Aug-17
Paint goes on when I really get serious, or maybe its just superstition :)

15-Aug-17
APauls, I don't doubt it for a second. I couldn't believe what I got away with but I was extremely grateful since that was my first and only big game animal. :)

15-Aug-17
I quit using face paint 25 years ago. Staying still and knowing when to move and not move is the key. I've always had a beard, but now that it's getting white may need to paint it. LOL

15-Aug-17
If you hunt 20 feet up no paint needed, unless your a tv celeb then you have to do the designer paint job to look like an idiot. On the ground I believe it's an advantage if you don't like using a mask. I hunt the ground and just swipe some burnt cork around and it comes off pretty easy with baby wipes.

15-Aug-17
X2 LBshooter on the burnt cork when I used to use face paint for duck hunting.

15-Aug-17
This year I am hiding behind an Ultimate Predator bow blind.

15-Aug-17
I don't paint or use a mask. I just avoid eye contact

Baby face killer as they call me

15-Aug-17
Hate the dirty greasy face. Like Bake i wear a half mask that's down on my neck when I don't need it. takes a second to slide it up. ASAT leafy half mask. Have the beard too but that glowing white thing is why I wear the mask......

Again.... necessary? Maybe. Maybe not. I do feel many situations it helps. Elk and some other critters just are kinda lazy and relaxed, not so much with them. But whatever one's thoughts are on it, that it doesn't really help, etc....... it SURE can't hurt.....

What kind of moisturizing cream do folks use to remove their makeup??? =D

15-Aug-17
I've used the tubes. I've used the fold open type with the little mirror. I've even used charcoal a number of times. None of them worked that well.

. I haven't used any facepaint in 10 years but I'm excited to this year because I recently tried and bought Hardy facepaint. It's the only facepaint that truly stays on and comes off clean. It feels like a latex paint. It's not greasy at all. Very cool stuff. This isn't an ad. I'm not an actor. I paid full price. I remove it with the little wipes that you get at a BBQ restaurant or Buffalo Wild Wings.

15-Aug-17

Rut Nut's Link
No, I'm not a face-painter. "That's insane!" ;-)

15-Aug-17
neither

15-Aug-17
If you hunt 20 feet up no paint needed, unless your a tv celeb then you have to do the designer paint job to look like an idiot. On the ground I believe it's an advantage if you don't like using a mask. I hunt the ground and just swipe some burnt cork around and it comes off pretty easy with baby wipes.

15-Aug-17
RutNut that was awesome!

15-Aug-17
Love paint, cant stand having a face mask, they add to over heating

15-Aug-17
Neither, I hunt out of a ground blind and I'm in the dark !

15-Aug-17
I don't use anything while in a tree. can't stand the greasy paints. I use Carbomask only when hunting on the ground.

15-Aug-17
Burned cork. Used it for duck hunting forever. Comes off easy and isn't greasy.

15-Aug-17
I like a camo paper tape I found on the interweb a few years back. Comes in sheets and I cut it in wavey 1x3 inch pieces. I only apply 3 pieces but it takes down the shine and hides my big shnoz. No interference with anchor point either.

15-Aug-17
I hate a face mask. Like Apauls . When the paint comes out something is going to die! Hunt

15-Aug-17
I hate facemasks with a passion....can't stand the extra warmth during the Sept yet. I use the deodorant stick style paint and it takes me about 10 seconds to put it on an a minute to wash it off. With that being said, elk will spook from movement 10 times before they will bust you because your mug ain't painted or covered with a mask.

15-Aug-17

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Face paint just to take the shine off. Mask fogs up my glasses.

15-Aug-17
I don't use either.

15-Aug-17
Always use face mask

16-Aug-17
As long as I stay at least 60 yards from the critters I don't mess with paint or masks. I make damn sure the rest of me is camo though, especially my boots.

16-Aug-17
I use a camo dust product that is applied dry with a small sponge. I never, and I mean never, hunt deer or turkeys without face camo. I attribute many kills over the years to a darkened facial profile. Animals will likely not pick up on small movements of a head when the face is toned down (especially when on the ground and mobile), but they will key in on a bare face. Gun or bow, I always use face camo dust and I have the kills to convince me that it is worth it.

16-Aug-17

White Falcon's embedded Photo
White Falcon's embedded Photo
Mask

16-Aug-17
I've got a beard thats long, and i still use it if i am hunting eye level with game - like elk hunting.

i may possibly use it in a tree stand as well when whitetail hunting - but most of the time i just let the beard cover my face.

16-Aug-17
I swear I was picked off in a tree when the sun was hitting my face. This by a doe over 100 yards away. Maybe I moved a little and she saw my lit up face. But because of that, I paint. If there was a 1 in 1000 chance a buck of a lifetime might see my face, I'm taking precautions. Just sayin.

16-Aug-17
Have never used a face mask or paint. I want the animal to have a chance to look me in the eye when we're up close and personal... ;-)

16-Aug-17
I use a mask. I like the stretchy, clingy type that don't get in the way. I actually have 3 different masks I use depending on the weather. One sheer one that is also bug proof for those hot early season hunts. One medium weight that is used most of the time. And one that is insulated for those cold days.

16-Aug-17
Stop with the face paint. Seriously. Stop it.

16-Aug-17
Usually a mask or nothing, but I'm hunting from the ground. For those that cheat using a treestand, why even worry about covering the face?

16-Aug-17

bad karma's embedded Photo
I hate the paint, just a mask works fine.

16-Aug-17

I hate the paint, just a mask works fine.

16-Aug-17

Damn triple post, sorry folks.

16-Aug-17
Used to be a product called "bears dust" . I loved the stuff, but cannot find anything like it. Use a half mask now.

16-Aug-17
Hey Xbow- I'll give up my mask if you give up your CHEATbow! ;-)

16-Aug-17

loprofile's embedded Photo

16-Aug-17
leaving both the mask and paint behind. Both are a PITA!

16-Aug-17

stick n string's embedded Photo
stick n string's embedded Photo
Xbow.....

16-Aug-17
I've got a half ass beard, and wear nothing. You'll suffocate in FL during bow season with anything on your face. Also hunt in shorts and a t-shirt.

16-Aug-17
face mask or half face mask for me.

16-Aug-17
When it's warm, early season, I might put a few lines of black on. After it gets a bit cooler, I use one of those sheer silk type neck gaiters and pull it up when deer are close by or coming towards my setup.

16-Aug-17

12yards's embedded Photo
12yards's embedded Photo
12yards's embedded Photo
Paint my kid too.
12yards's embedded Photo
Paint my kid too.
12yards's embedded Photo
Paint your way to success!
12yards's embedded Photo
Paint your way to success!
12yards's embedded Photo
Goodbye ole paint!
12yards's embedded Photo
Goodbye ole paint!
Paint

16-Aug-17
Rut Nut & Stick and String - I bought a compound a few weeks ago actually. Don't plan to change any tactics. Just draw and shoot.

16-Aug-17
No doubt what so ever in my mind I've had deer pick out my clean shaven bright white face more than once. Never caused a deer to hit the afterburners but did cause them to alter their travel rout and remain out of bow range, so yes I use face paint. As an offer of proof, went the first few hunts one year without face paint. I was on land that had been logged and getting above 15' in a tree was not possible. Had two mature does and at least two mature bucks alter their movements around me when I was on stand. Went back to face paint and instantly killed deer. Draw your own conclusions if it was the face paint or not, but that was all I changed.

16-Aug-17

16-Aug-17
Wowza. Now thats next level thinkin right there lopro.... haha

17-Aug-17
Don't like masks not crazy about face paint. If an animals coming just hold my bow in front of my face if not drawn. If there staring your face it mite be over.

17-Aug-17
I do believe face paint helps, but only when covering all of the skin, including eye lids, not just a line of paint here or there. I don't know if I'm saying this right but it takes the "shine" off your skin. I don't like face paint, and I won't where it in public, I will where a face mask and just do my eyes and nose. I feel kinda silly, but like I said look in the mirror when you do it? It does tone down your skin

17-Aug-17
Should I dye my white chin beard???

17-Aug-17
Yes, camoflauge that chin! :)

17-Aug-17
What do you know about beards, Rick?!!!

17-Aug-17
"Should I dye my white chin beard???"

Heck no! Just do what I do...only hunt when it snows!

18-Aug-17
Paint. For those on the fence, get yourself CarboMask. Great stuff. Since using it ive ditched the old face mask. Easy on, easy off. Plus the cool factor is x20 over a facemask. And chicks dig it. Just dont use all black in those stupid designs the TV hunters do.

If someone already mentioned it, apologizes. I wasnt about to read 90 plus posts.

• Sitka Gear