CO_Bowhunter 20-Aug-17
WV Mountaineer 20-Aug-17
ElkNut1 20-Aug-17
jordanathome 21-Aug-17
WFM 21-Aug-17
Jaquomo 21-Aug-17
20-Aug-17

CO_Bowhunter's Link
The ElkNut App was well designed from the start. For each call Paul has included audio, video and tips for use in the field. One of my favorite calls is the separated lost cow/calf call. I've used it very successfully in the past. I like the fact that the elk come in "curious" rather than defensive or offensive. To have this on my phone is a game changer. I have the weatherproof ElkNut playbook in my pack all the time but to brush up on my calling, real time, is super helpful. For me, listening to Paul make the sound and then trying to imitate it is much, much easier. This is probably one of the more useful teaching tools I've come across since I read Fred Asbell's Stalking and Still Hunting book many years ago. Finally, I also appreciate all the new calls that have been added since I purchased the app.

I also ditched my Garmin GPS about four years ago when I realized the Trimble Outdoors Navigator App was a much better solution. I can increase the size of the map on my Samsung Note 3 phone without donning glasses. It has all the features I want and my battery life trumps the Garmin by a long shot.

20-Aug-17
There has never been a cell phone battery that lasts as long as batteries in a GPS in my experience. Mind sharing how you are doing that?

20-Aug-17
My Garmin rarely lasted more than a day on a set of batteries. Maybe it was a faulty unit. With my phone, I leave it on when I have the tracking feature turned on. Otherwise the phone is off. But leaving it powered for a total of 2-3 hours per day, in power-saving mode, I can get 4-5 days of use. I'm sold on the bigger screen, being able to increase the size of the map with two fingers, and better battery life. I did purchase the best third-party battery I could find. I keep two extra charged batteries in my pack. Plus the phone has an incredible camera for still images and video. I don't pack an separate camera, saving weight and space.

20-Aug-17
I've run GPS's nearly daily for 20 years. I had one work unit that would suck batteries but, it ended up burning up inside. Something faulty. 3 AA batteries would last a day, day and a half. But, all others I'd get a week or two out of a new set. But, for my hunting GPS, I use a small one without all the bells and whistles. I'm still running the same set for two years and anticipate doing it again on the same set this season.

20-Aug-17
That's amazing. I may have a faulty unit. I like to look at the map without putting on my glasses. That's the main reason I switched to the phone. It's a much better solution for me. Good luck this year.

20-Aug-17
Yes, my little dakota hunting model does have a small screen. But, I don't use it to navigate nearly as much as I use it to mark sign and develop patterns in the big woods. God Bless

20-Aug-17
Hey Dave, I appreciate your kind words bud! The APP is doing well, lots of info on it for sure. Glad you're enjoying it, Thank you!

ElkNut/Paul

21-Aug-17
I've gotten to the point I prefer my off grid Onyx Hunt Maps better than my garmin......... But I still carry it and use it to mark spots. But for navigation the off grid maps rock.

21-Aug-17
I changed to topo map + on my iPhone and won't even carry the garmin anymore. I have a backup battery with a solar charger that weights less than the garmin did. I put the phone on airplane mode and use the app when needed. Links up faster than the garmin did by a long shot. Now my camera, video, gps and flashlight are all in one. Not to mention music and books. Plus if I had to I have a phone!??

21-Aug-17
I still like the Garmin because the DIY Hunting chip shows all the closed and decommissioned-hidden old logging trails. That info is golden and has gotten me into and out of some gnarly places in the dark, showed some easy secret routes into otherwise nasty spots.

Paired with the Gaia app with offline topo and satellite views of everywhere I hunt provides a complete navigation toolset.

• Sitka Gear