Outdoorsdude 09-Nov-17
Buffalo1 10-Nov-17
rooster 10-Nov-17
GF 10-Nov-17
GF 10-Nov-17
GF 10-Nov-17
Brotsky 10-Nov-17
20-Aug-17
I had promised my daughter when she graduated from High School, we would take her to South Africa for her graduation present. Well next year she will be graduating and I have to start getting her ready for the game over there. She has been hunting with a bow since she was 12 years old so that is not a problem. The problem is I need to work up a arrow that she can use during this hunting season (Whitetail, Hogs, and some exotics) that she will be using also in SA. I have slowly creeped her bow up for her to were she is shooting 55 pounds out of a Mission Craze. She shoots if very well, but has been using 22 inch arrows and 75 grain Thunder heads. I need to adjust some on her length of arrow to probably at least 23 inches now also to increase her draw length some. Since I am very old school and still use aluminum arrows, I have no idea what I need in Carbon arrows. Was looking at Gold Tip, but not completely settled on them, but have no idea what spine to use since there is no arrow selection chart that I could find for them. Also will probably move up to at least 100gr Thunder heads to give a little more weight. She will not be hunting real big animals while in SA, but she does want a Waterbuck for sure. Thanks for any help I can get. Bob

20-Aug-17
My grandson shoots a mission craze.he is a juniors,bow is at 56#,and 30" draw.shooting bloodline ,400 carbons.2" blazer vanes.there a 9/32" shaft.hellrazor three blade 100 grain head.my old school PSE can't touch him.he also has a fall away rest.

09-Nov-17
Wow, 23 in. is short; my wife draws 26. We went with Easton Axis for her, worth checking out, heavier gpi than average carbon arrows and spine from 600 - to 300, so I'm betting you can get one to paper tune great for you.

10-Nov-17
I would suggest an Easton FMJ with 75 gr brass insert. 100 gr BH. 3-blade VPA or 4-blade standard Slick Trick. The objective is to get to 500 gr total arrow weight. You shot in Africa should be 20 yd or less. Shot placement is key.

A waterbuck is a 650-750# animal. Big body size. Bet she shoots some other large animals when she gets there and see them!!

Best of luck

10-Nov-17
My wife shoots Black Eagle arrows at 25" draw length and 45 lbs. She is 5'4" for reference.

10-Nov-17

10-Nov-17
If you know her current arrow specs and what kind of speed she's getting now, you can use Stu's calculator to ballpark the net KE output, and then you can select just about any shaft on the market

10-Nov-17

GF's embedded Photo
GF's embedded Photo
Have you seen the arrows from the NASP program? Easton Genesis 1820. A 24.5" shaft weighs 299 grains all by itself.

I messed around and found a bow/strike plate combo that nets out at zero, though honestly I think a drop-away would be set up so that the midline of the arrow is at zero, rather than the strikeplate position.

If you have any concerns about penetration, you need look no farther than what the Trad guys like - it's not only width that impedes penetration, but the ramp angle of the blade; lots of good choices in the 1 1/4" range, give or take a few sixteenths...

But if you think about it... Plenty of Elk have been killed slick as a whistle by #40-and-up recurves and her wheelie is probably putting out the better part of TWICE what a good, #50 stringbow will do. I wouldn't argue with the advice that 500 grains or so is a good idea, but as long as you stick with a good, not-too-stubby fixed blade....

10-Nov-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
+1 Easton FMJ, the ladies in my house use them out of 40-50 # bows with great success. One is waiting for some action right now!

• Sitka Gear