walks with a gimp 24-Aug-17
Bou'bound 25-Aug-17
Franklin 25-Aug-17
Whopper Stopper 26-Aug-17
Shawn 27-Aug-17
manitou1 27-Aug-17
Bow Nut 28-Aug-17
22-Aug-17
Is there a cover scent that really works. I purchased a new pack and I can smell an odor on it. was wondering if there's a cover scent that can mask the odor and not spook game? Was told to use nose jammer but smell like collon.

22-Aug-17
As I've said numerous times, most scents did their primary job when you bought them!

22-Aug-17
Take a shower keep ur clothes clean and skip the cover scent. No scent is the best scent...

22-Aug-17
Nose Jammer. I have tons of close up photos when hunting on the ground to demonstrate it. I have nothing to do with the company, BTW. Other big league hunters I know have had the same result. Don't know why, but it works.

23-Aug-17
There is no such thing as a "Cover Scent". Spray a human with pine scented cover scent, it smells a like human covered with pine scent. You cannot cover or totally eliminate human odor. Just be clean and use the wind. The way wind tendrils work, any animal can be directly downwind of you and not smell you. Conversely, they can also be upwind and smell you. Want to know how scent travels int he air? Buy some cheap smoke bombs and climb into your treestand. Watch what the smoke does. Like tendrils of pasta, scent is not one steady stream, going in one direction. It is up, down, this way and that.

23-Aug-17
I'm with Jaq, nose jammer works! I like to spray it on the bottoms of my boots. Once you use it and smell it yourself that's all you smell all day long, same for game.

23-Aug-17
I use the Wildlife research Scent Storm-Acorn. We will never eliminate our scent. I feel that this product puts them at ease. I spray some on my boots before walking in. When I get in my stand, I spray it on the limbs around me, a few sprays on the ground. I have used it for the last 2 years with good success. Nothing works all the time, but this has seemed to help.

23-Aug-17
Just wash the pack with non scented soap and warm water and then air dry it away from any human type odors. Rub some dirt and leaves on it and then go hunt:)

23-Aug-17
There is a home brew I'm going to give a try this year that is made form distilled water, 7% pool peroxide unscented soap and baking soda but the exact formula escapes me at the moment. I at one time went through the most extreme scent control protocol I have ever seen or read about, and yes it did IMHO work, but it was simply to costly, complicated, and exhausting to continue to use. It actually ended up making bow hunting unfun. Do I think it eliminated my human scent? Absolutely not that is impossible to do, but I do believe it reduced it to a level that fooled deer into thinking I was much farther away than I actually was and allowed the deer to not alter their actions. But it only worked short term because I witnessed deer who I knew 100% for certain were smelling me for the first time became alert but not alarmed. But the same deer buy the 3-4th time although didn't spook, did alter their travel so as to be out of effective range, but it did allow me opportunities and successes I am certain I would never have had if I had not reduced my sent foot print to the point I had. I wish I could still do it, but it's simply to difficult. I now use a modified version based on never wearing the same clothing item more than one time without some form of de-scenting and allowing it to air out for 3-4 days between uses. No doubt in my mind I see more deer by trying to minimize my scent VS not at all.

23-Aug-17
NO cover scent works. Walk into an Italian restaurant. Take a whiff. You smell garlic, oregano and maybe the hostess' perfume. None it if covers the others. I deer's sense of smell in gigantic compared to ours.

You can wash the smell out of stuff. Sportwash is what I use.

23-Aug-17
No.

23-Aug-17
Try diesel fuel. I shot a buck one time when I was wearing diesel soaked coveralls.

23-Aug-17
Still waiting for a product to beat a dogs nose.

23-Aug-17
Another Nosejammer user here. I'm not even gonna try to convince anyone that it works. You're gonna believe what you want to.

24-Aug-17
I have a couple of cows and hang my clothes in the barn. I am now housing two horses too. That ought to confuse them. As a ground hunter I play the wind .

24-Aug-17
Evercalm too, good stuff.

24-Aug-17
I'm with drycreek and jaquomo.Been using NoseJammer since it came out and dont get in my stand without it. Spray it all around the base of the tree and then all around my seat and on the foilage around me. I brush all my stands in very well so you can't see them from the ground. Never have had a deer spook while using jammer.

24-Aug-17

HDE's Link
Never heard of Nosejammer until now. Looks to be similar to what some of us may have used back in the day with 'Cover Up'. Been using it for many years on clothing, packs, and as a wind indicator.

Have always preferred the aroma of vanilla over elk piss...

24-Aug-17
For the nosejammer users, do you reapply when in the stand? How long does the initial application work?

24-Aug-17
Nose Jammer....I only use it if the wind is getting "iffy" and it's too late in the day to move to a safer stand.

In whitetail hunting, I will spray it on my hat and the tops of my rubber boots.

Mark

24-Aug-17
I like simple so I don't use over scents or attractants. Try to stay clean but after the first hill elk hunting that is pretty much down the drain. Earth and pine are my favorite for elk hunting so I stand on 13,170,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 pounds of earth and on a ridge covered with 10s of thousands of pine trees :^)

24-Aug-17
Field and Stream did a box test with dogs, I do not believe Nose Jammer was tested. I believe the cover scent, in conjunction with all the other tactics, only bought about 5 seconds. That might be enough time to get an arrow sent. For your pack, I would hand wash in baking soda, rinse well and line dry.

24-Aug-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Nose Jammer is super-concentrated vanilla with some other stuff added (smells like cinnamon raisin sweet rolls). It's like the old Russell Hull stuff we used to use x 1000. I spray about a one second shot on either side of wherever I'm hiding, preferably on something non-porous like a dead, de-barked log or a rock. You can smell it the next day when you go back. I don't hunt in trees but serious hunters I know - you know them too but I won't name them - spray a shot at the base of the tree and below their stand.

I also know at least one famous hunter who sprays his backpack with it. I've tried that, can't say if that works or not. But you guys who have followed my live muley rut hunts have seen a lot of close up deer photos that were taken when the deer either crossed my scent cone or came in directly downwind. In some of them you can see them sniffing the air.

My partner and I both killed 350+ bulls that came through our scent in shifting wind too. Mine crossed my scent at about 40 yards before giving me a 22 yard broadside shot. Like I said, I don't know why it seems to work. Nose Jammer doesn't give me any for free, either (but they should for as much as I've sold for them). Over the past 45 years I've tried everything from turpentine to wafers to sprays to gels to homemade crushed up natural ingredients, in all different flavors, and this is the only thing I've ever used that seemed to have any sort of positive effect.

24-Aug-17
I would wash the pack in Mirazyme (follow directions, may take two washings/sun drying) before covering it with vanilla/Nosejammer.

The effectiveness of vanilla has been debated for a long time. I've never considered a cover or jamming scent for elk but my opinion of deer is that some are more curious or tolerant of new/foreign smells. Those deer usually end up dead sooner. Others are righteously offended and if it's an old doe she will let everyone else in on the secret in a hurry.

24-Aug-17
I showed up late for a afternoon hunt and had a botle of jammer, wanted to test it. I purposely set up upwind where I knew does would becoming out. Like clock work a mature foe came out 40/45 yards down the treeline and fed without even looking like she was nervous. Never goy the shot but she feed the rest of the afternoon. I carried jammer with me ever since, my hunt partner can't stand it lol.

24-Aug-17
I used to find the first fresh pile of elk crap or elk piss and rub it on my boots and pants....maybe a little on my hat. Then all day I smelled elk. I prefer to be able to smell elk when I come across their scent. I don't want anything covering that smell . Now I just try to hunt into the wind and assume they will smell me if they get downwind of me.

24-Aug-17
2 years ago I made my own, apple cider with vanilla extract, in an empty Dead Down Wind bottle. Used it hunting whitetail in Michigan. No conclusive results. I can not recommend this, unless you make a very small batch. The cider starts to ferment, I tossed it at that point.

24-Aug-17
Here's a good read. https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/kent-csi/vol5no2/html/v05i2a04p_0001.htm

Keep your head and cap clean. You sweat and smell there first.

24-Aug-17
As strong as nosejammers scent is wouldn't the deer learn to associate with humans over the season?

24-Aug-17
I've been using hickory smoke for a few years with very good results from a beehive smoker. And I hate the smell of smoke.

25-Aug-17
sounds like a good bear attractant

25-Aug-17
I do as Ucsdryder...use natural whatever is there...cow manure...apples whatever. If you use a cover scent over and over the game could associate that smell with your presence especially if they smell that certain smell then see or smell you. When you leave the smell leaves too. I don`t even use deer scents for this reason.

26-Aug-17
"sounds like a good bear attractant"

Yes it is. I am in a high density bear area and got tired of having them busting in before daylight and at dusk looking for the goodies. Once the bears started visiting the deer found other routes.

WS

27-Aug-17
Wash your body with dermaclens. Keep it away from your eyes and only lightly do the twig and berries. I had to use it for a couple weeks before my brain surgery. It kills all the bacteria on your body to limit a chance of infection. It is not good to use it for a prolonged period of time as it kills both good and bad bacteria but I use it when Nov. rolls around for a couple weeks. I have had no luck with nosejammer but several of my friends swear by it. Shawn

27-Aug-17
You go in a bathroom after someone poops and then sprays floral scent. What do you smell? Smells like crap with floral spray! I read a study whereas scientists said a deer can detect approximately 1400 different odors simultaneously. Additionally, they can detect human scent at 1 part per million... about the same strength as the average human can detect skunk spray. Personnaly, after 46 years of deer hunting I believe no scent is the best scent. Any odor that can arouse a deer's attention is likely to cause them to detect additional foreign odors. For me, I keep myself and my gear as clean and scentless as possible and save my money for other more necessary hunting gear.

28-Aug-17
X2 evercalm. Either the worlds largest coincidence or it works cuz 4 years in a row in Kansas I've had deer and coyotes completely in my thermals and didn't even look in my direction. Course I don't follow the directions and wipe it all over my clothes once I'm in the tree but I swear it works lol.

Might have something to do with the morning shower, dressing in the field, and the Sitka never sees the inside of the lodge... who knows? I do what I do till it doesn't work and for now it does. Good luck this year to all!!!!!

• Sitka Gear