stealthycat 24-Aug-17
Carnage2011 24-Aug-17
Bill Obeid 24-Aug-17
Bill Obeid 24-Aug-17
Carnage2011 24-Aug-17
cmbbulldog 24-Aug-17
stealthycat 24-Aug-17
24-Aug-17
What's everyone's thoughts on how the moon will affect elk movement this first week of September? Big bright moon up all night long...

24-Aug-17
It may cause them to head to their bedding area earlier, but it's also been my experience it brings them back out a little earlier as well. You may have to adjust your tactics to some degree, but that's elk hunting. Bottom line is, moon phase is about the last thing I concern myself with.

Forget the moon...just hunt.

24-Aug-17
Yep. Worry about hunting pressure before worrying about the moon

24-Aug-17
The last two elk I have taken were both shot right around noon during the peak of the full moon. This was pre-rut using no calls. They were just out milling around on their own free will. I agree that moon phase is almost the least important factor when it comes to heavily hunted OTC units.

24-Aug-17
Biggest factor a full moon means for me is that my headlamp batteries will last longer.

24-Aug-17
I think the timing of the full moon might have them active at night out bugling and playing and possibly jumpstarting some of the rut activity, which could result in good action as the moon wanes in the following days. I'm not basing this on anything scientific, just my own observations...

I've also had good action midday during the full moon.

24-Aug-17
After the eclipse the elk are all blind so the moon is a non-factor this year.

24-Aug-17
During Full Moon times we really get excited as this is one of our favorite times to hunt elk as long as skies are fairly clear & not cloud covered. The closer to mid Sept to end of Sept the better. We've found the Rut trumps a Full Moon! We generally will locate elk at night or an hour before daylight off dirt/paved roads, we drive or if you're packed in it's good to call at these times for a bulls location. While still dark bulls often times bugle back to us from short to very long distances. When elk are vocal while still dark they're in their feeding/watering/wallowing & nighttime bedding areas. Once located, this area gives us a starting point before or right near daylight! We have our packs in our rigs ready to go, with good wind & cover we head out, this will give you an edge to head their way before light, the moonlight sky helps so you don't need a headlamp but care must be taken as you trudge through the woods avoiding its many obstacles. It's up to us as hunters to use the best possible methods to either ambush them on trails as they exit feeding towards bedding or lure them in with calling that fits the encounter & phase of the rut, sometimes both ambush & calling are required!

ElkNut/Paul

24-Aug-17
That's funny.

I wasn't planning on the moon changing my tactics. It's good to hear that mid-day good have potential!

24-Aug-17
Guys, unfortunately I have never been out west to hunt elk, hopefully that will change in the future. My question is, and I know depends on the area but is there that much pressure up in the mountains? seems like you need to be in really good shape to hunt elk up high, but based on everyone's remarks it sounds like whitetail hunting in public land in the Midwest with the pressure.

24-Aug-17
All depends. If it's a limited quota area, you can normally get away from other hunters. If it's a general, public land area, the pressure can be horrendous.

24-Aug-17
Full moon just means you will see more Sasquatch lurking in the shadows on your way back to the truck or camp...

24-Aug-17
I actually love that the full moon is my 9-17 hunt .... I don't want pitch dark woods at night to be honest

24-Aug-17
Stealthy cat....I believe the full moon will be long gone by 9-17.

24-Aug-17
Carnage... he may be referring to his September 2017 hunt.

Not September 17th

24-Aug-17
Carnage... he may be referring to his September 2017 hunt.

Not September 17th

24-Aug-17
Ah yes! True statement Bill!

24-Aug-17
Well since I will be in AZ Sept 17 - 27th I will believe that no moon is a good thing for my dates.

24-Aug-17
I just checked .... yeah full moon is like the 6th ... i was thinking it was like the 13th ....

Oh well, I got head lamp :)

• Sitka Gear