Franklin 25-Aug-17
osage 25-Aug-17
Brotsky 25-Aug-17
osage 26-Aug-17
3dirtdevils 26-Aug-17
25-Aug-17

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
My buddy pulled out his bow and I was looking at his sight and told him something happened to his pins. He told me I was an idiot and they are perfect. I've never seen a 5 pin sight where the gaps were identical. Usually the farther out the bigger the gap in my experience. Who's the idiot? Haha

25-Aug-17
He's shooting a Mathews. Obviously he's clueless. :)

25-Aug-17
Well, it's his bow....so maybe you are the idiot?

Depending on what his sights are set at, it is possible. If he has a span of 20 to 100, then you would be correct, there should be an increase in the gaps.

25-Aug-17
Never seen someone set a 20yd pin I the center of the sight ring, assuming that it is a 20yd pin. Either way never seen a pin group set like that before.

25-Aug-17
Hard to say about those gaps without knowing what yardages they represent. It is a very unconventional set-up though, with all the pins shoved down into the bottom of the sight ring, and the right edge of the sight ring hidden behind the riser. I've never shot a Mathews Z7 though....maybe that's normal. But I doubt it.

25-Aug-17
5, 10, 15, 20, 22.5, 25 ;-)

25-Aug-17
20-30-40-50-60

25-Aug-17
How's he hittin?

25-Aug-17
Well it has progressed to us going to the range in about 10 minutes with lunch on the line.

25-Aug-17
My bet is he can't put his pin on target and moves down to his spot. The farther he moves out the worse it gets.

Paige Gore....

One of the best female archers on the planet does the exact opposite. She holds lower and lower below the dot the farther out she shoots. I heard her talking about it on a podcast.

25-Aug-17
I'd be curious to know his center shot setting (distance from riser to center-line of arrow).

25-Aug-17
If he hits where he's aiming, ..........

25-Aug-17

Yep, he's correct!

25-Aug-17
My guess.....the sight is located so far to the right because it's mounted so high, even apparently above the entire sight window of the riser.

That would indicate that he is using a very low anchor point.

One of the reasons to use a very low anchor point is that it places the eye's line of sight in closer proximity to actual impact points of the arrows as they drop at distances downrange. Used to see that technique used long ago when the target archers struggled to bring all their pins in view for shooting out to eighty yards in NFAA shoots,using target recurves and skinny aluminum arrows in the pre-compound days. Some guys went with little prisms that showed them the lowest pins, some went with dual peeps that had two holes, one for longer ranges. Some found that they could actually fit all their pins into a viewable sight window if it were located higher on the bow than normally, and a lower under-the-chin anchor point used to place the eyes closer to the actual drop path. It's kind of the same principle that the trad guys follow in anchoring up at the corner of their mouth and then shooting three under, placing the drop path THEIR arrows follow at THEIR normal ranges, closer to the direct line of sight from eye to target, but expanded for longer ranges and flatter trajectories.

With the faster compounds and lighter carbons bringing the drop path lower and making it straighter downrange, more 3D shooters have found their pins spacing to approach this kind of grouping. Mine sure don't look like that, but I've seen many at the ranges among the top shooters whose do, although usually beginning with a more conventional spacing within the pin housing.

Either that, or the guy has an extremely long face.....or maybe a ZZ-top beard that he doesn't like to get tangled with his bowstring?? 8^)

25-Aug-17
OK, couldn't get the edit function to work, please ignore and excuse the next to last paragraph above because it's obviously backwards thinking caused by a coffee withdrawal. I'll be back as soon as I brew another cup.

25-Aug-17
Well he's pretty close actually. I shot it and the peep was a good 2" low for me. My release hand is usually under my ear but to get the peep lined up I was mid ear.

25-Aug-17
so ..... who ate for free?

25-Aug-17
He did. Son of a..

25-Aug-17
Ucsdryer my anchor is like yours and my pins are fairly evenly spaced to 60. 70 and 80 are both an additional 8 digits on my spot hogg dial. I dhoot heavy arrows and have fletching contact on my sight housing at 90. My pins are however somewhat centered in sight housing.

25-Aug-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Looked at mine on my lunch break. I guess they are not as evenly spaced as I thought.

25-Aug-17
Way to cluttered regardless. Hard to pick a spot and put the pin on the animal with them stacked like that! Shawn

25-Aug-17
You can look at sight tapes to see what a pin configuration will look like for various bow speeds.

25-Aug-17
You have to remember that if you move your bow up or down 1/8 that multiplies for every yard out the target is. That 1/8" at 70 yrds could equate to 3' high or low...where as at 15 yrds it`s only 8". Then you have to allow for reduced speed and gravity.

25-Aug-17
An arrow under the influence of gravity follows the path of a parabolic curve : y= f (x). Therefore the pins will be incrementally further apart as the yardage increases.

25-Aug-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Here's a pic of my housing. 20-30-40. The gap between 30-40 is slightly larger. You can also see the gaps on my tape get slightly larger as distance increases. Very gradual though, would be hard to pick out with the naked eye on pins.

26-Aug-17
Very little difference in gap from 20 - 50 or so. More noticeable at 80 since the tangential velocity vector is relatively more steeply inclined.

26-Aug-17
Mathews.....catch us if you can!

• Sitka Gear