wildwilderness 07-Sep-17
TheSaint 07-Sep-17
Mad Trapper 08-Sep-17
DEMO-Bowhunter 08-Sep-17
LWood 08-Sep-17
26-Aug-17

TheSaint's embedded Photo
Just boarded a plane here in Denver heading to Quebec. Meeting a few bowhunters (couple Bowsite guys) to chase caribou with Richard Hume and his crew. Super pumped we were able to slip in a hunt this year before the closure. Hopefully it won't last long! On another note, this is the last specie of caribou I need to complete my bou slam. Figured I'd share a couple pics while sitting on the DIA runway.

26-Aug-17

Just boarded a plane here in Denver heading to Quebec. Meeting a few bowhunters (couple Bowsite guys) to chase caribou with Richard Hume and his crew. Super pumped we were able to slip in a hunt this year before the closure. Hopefully it won't last long! On another note, this is the last specie of caribou I need to complete my bou slam. Figured I'd share a couple pics while sitting on the DIA runway.

26-Aug-17

26-Aug-17

26-Aug-17

26-Aug-17
I'm going to try to video and take as many pics S possible! Wheels up....

26-Aug-17
Good luck!!

26-Aug-17
See you in Quebec. Best of luck to you on the slam!!! Its a dream of mine as well. With the quebec season closure, it now forces me to try my hand at the others. I've just had so much fun with JHA, I keep going back.

26-Aug-17
See you guys on he changeover on 9/3. Save some

26-Aug-17
Go get'em Blayne... the caribou slam is now ranking as one of the more difficult slams to obtain. Good luck buddy. Ed F

26-Aug-17
Ed F that's right! If a guy doesn't have a Q-L, he better get it this year, or else maybe never! Good luck Blayne!

27-Aug-17
Is is really possible for them to keep the Quebec Caribou Season Closed for long?

27-Aug-17
In reading some of the biological reports on the subject, yes the season can be closed for a very substantial amount of time. example the George river herd which is has been closed for years. it once measured in the about 700,000 and the last count it was down to about 14k. at this point there isn't a recovery in sight.

27-Aug-17

Trial153's Link

27-Aug-17

Trial153's embedded Photo
Trial153's embedded Photo

27-Aug-17
Can stock be put into the reports? Who did the reports and what are their political views?

27-Aug-17
Good luck Blayne!

28-Aug-17
Good luck Blayne!

Glad I got a chance to hunt the tundra for Q/L. It was my first out of town hunt and based on the way things are going there, might not ever get one again.

28-Aug-17
When I was a kid, there were few caribou in Quebec... and the migratory herd lived in the then isolated north.

Soon the north became more accessible while at the same time the caribou cycle skyrocketed.

People began thinking that those high populations were the norm - they are not.

Of course, as we know, there are many, many factors to take into consideration - exacerbated by the north being developed so relatively quickly.

As a resident of the north let me add that there was one small thing that didn't help the continuation of at least a limited fall caribou harvest, and that was the extremely visible winter hunt. Since it's inception, truck and trailer loads of caribou with heads, legs, and hooves sticking out all over the place were paraded in front of northern residents and then through the general public in the south, giving the impression of some sort of a high number massacre.

As far as cancelling ALL caribou hunting, the non-hunting urban boys and girls in the ministry biology department that are studying the situation may perhaps be panicking.

28-Aug-17
750,000 to 14,000 in 5 years wow

28-Aug-17
Nope, 750,000 to 14,000 in 20 years. Sharpest drop had to be mid 90's to 2001 where they lost 350,000 in 5-6 years. Then lost another 350,000 in the next 13 years.

28-Aug-17
panicking.. if they are they are late to party. when your death rate is greater then your birth rate your population going to keep falling. it is what it is. if any argument was to be made it was that not enough caribou werr killed early on when the population was spiking. That was the chance to maybe nip it in bud and prevent the level of habitat depletion that took place. Alas now we have to leave it nature and nature on the tundra moves very slow.

28-Aug-17
How bad is the depredation on the herd?

28-Aug-17
Trial153 - Yup, I agree with you - the old crew of biologists would tell me "when they hit a million, the population will go down". I don't think that they were expecting such a dramatic crash though. The population stayed at a million way too long and over grazing of the lichen as well as several ground fires that in some cases lasted for several months contributed to the scarcity of food. We saw the caribou shrink in body size from one year to the next and also saw parasites and disease spread through the herd. Also, the winter hunt was fine when the population was high, but they started cutting it back too late.

JL - from what I saw first hand and from what I was told, the wolf and black bear predation was not an issue. However, as you most likely know, predation and hunting have much more of an impact when the population is very low as it is now.

28-Aug-17
Haha! That "One Arrow Mountain Caribou Bull!"

You got this Blayne!!!

Mark

29-Aug-17
Giv'em Blayne! Shoot straight!

Can't wait for the reports!

29-Aug-17
Pick -A-$pot Blayne!!

Congrats man

Good luck, Robb

29-Aug-17
My slam came between 1979 and 1993, lot cheaper then. Good luck!

06-Sep-17

Mark, back then I only hunted with one arrow to make it sporting :)

Caribou Slam complete!

06-Sep-17

I'm back on the road for work so I don't have a lot of time to recap the hunt right now. Here are a few more pics though

06-Sep-17

06-Sep-17

06-Sep-17

06-Sep-17

06-Sep-17

06-Sep-17

06-Sep-17

06-Sep-17

06-Sep-17
Congrats on completing your slam! Those are some nice bulls to boot.

07-Sep-17
Congratulations Blaine!

07-Sep-17
Congrats!!

07-Sep-17
In the camp photo, is the second guy on the left, Rick Duggan? I just shared a camp with him about three weeks ago.....good guy to share a camp with....

07-Sep-17
Yes it was Rick Duggan. I shared a seat on the bus with him. Congrats again Blayne! Your bull looks like a giant next to those others. Glad you made it home safe and good luck on the rest of your hunts this fall. Now stop messing around with work and post some videos!

07-Sep-17
Congrats!!

07-Sep-17
Congrats on another great bull!

07-Sep-17
Congrats on the slam and your bull! I cant wait to hear the story.

07-Sep-17
Outstanding, congrats to you on gettin' er done!

07-Sep-17
Very nice! Congrats!

07-Sep-17
Congrats Blayne!

07-Sep-17
Awesome accomplishment Blayne. Congratulations.

07-Sep-17
Well done Blayne! Enjoy every day! C

07-Sep-17
All great bulls. How far the the NA 29 are you now?

07-Sep-17
Caribou 77, I try to sort some videos out next week!

Wildwilderness, I'm 23 animals deep into the super slam. Most of the hard species are knocked out. I need the following:

1. Coues (2017) 2. Blacktail 3. Sitka Blacktail 4. Mt. Goat (2018) 5. Roosevelt elk

Not sure if I'll breakdown and do the polar bear if I can't import it. I think I'd rather try another grand slam. I just need a stone and a bighorn for 2nd grand slam. I've been super lucky drawing tags and going self-guided. Not sure how much money I have wrapped up in the whole deal....don't really want to know :) but it's not a massive amount of $$$ compared to most guys super slams. Living in the west, we have a lot of different hunting opportunities for multiple species of big game and I have been insanely fortunate drawing tags.

08-Sep-17
Congrats Blayne!!!! Unbelievable collection of good bulls.

08-Sep-17
Some great bulls!

08-Sep-17
Congratulations, Blayne!

• Sitka Gear