Southern draw 29-Aug-17
OFFHNTN 29-Aug-17
DEMO-Bowhunter 29-Aug-17
nmwapiti 29-Aug-17
Beav 06-Sep-17
28-Aug-17

nmwapiti's embedded Photo
Hey fellas. Sitting in Kodiak waiting to fly home. Thought I would give a quick report. We flew to the south end for a week. Plenty of deer. First buck was the toughest. Had to circle the mountain to get the wind right. Dropped down on him. Was able to slide down the hill to 52 yards. He was bedded on a mound looking left. Shot was a little high and left. Broke his back.

28-Aug-17

Try one oriented right...

28-Aug-17

Next buck was a much longer hike, but shorter stalk. Walked abut 2.5 hours to a far bowl. Had a nice 3x3 and forkie step out right away. Watched them for a while deciding if I should commit this early. They disappeared into cover for a while so I just slid down the ridge a little. More deer started coming out then the non typical buck I had seen the first day walked out 70 yards below me. Wind was blowing so I wanted to get close. Eased to 34 yards. Was thinking about shot placement when he turned my way and worthess up the ridge. I was in a great hide behind some tall grass so I let him come. At 20 yards he stepped left and I sent one through his heart. Pretty crazy looking.

28-Aug-17

Time was running out so I picked up the rifle and went looking for the biggest buck I could find. Found a dandy towards the end of the ridge and dropped him at 305 yards. Sorry to all the bow die hards, but the buck is too nice to not show.

28-Aug-17
Very cool! Nice bucks

28-Aug-17
Nice deer, especially the oddball !

28-Aug-17
Love that last one man, crazy cool character and still a nice rack!

28-Aug-17
Great deer. Did either of those last two bucks have nuts? Large base non-typicals like that seem to be the "typical" deer that have that issue.

28-Aug-17
Funny you should mention that. I thought I had found a cactus buck in alaska. Went to leave the proof of sex on the hindquarters but found no nuts. When my hunting buddy got his typical 2x3, it did not have nuts hanging either. Last buck was the same way. Do they just not drop up here due to the cold weather???

28-Aug-17
Right on... Congratulations. Ed F

28-Aug-17
Congrats...very nice!!!

Mark

29-Aug-17
Interesting hypothesis.... take a bath in some ice water and let me know...... =D

My understanding is the neutered bucks become what we called in the west stags, they quit dropping antlers, sometimes are in a kind of perpetual dried out velvet. Big bodied lifetime spikes and such.

I think the real freaks have either just had an injury somewhere that messed with the natural process or have a genetic malfunction that makes em grow that way. I'm leaning towards genetic for the real abby-normals..... they seem to grow crazy stuff every year fairly consistently.

29-Aug-17
Oh! And nice deer, congrats! Thanks for the write up and the pics..... got more pics?????

29-Aug-17

A few more of the oddballs

29-Aug-17

29-Aug-17

29-Aug-17

Racks including my buddies oddball

29-Aug-17
Thanks for sharing were heading there next year.

T.O

29-Aug-17
Two of the bucks we shot a couple of weeks ago had no nuts. Sounds like it must be common. Congratulations on the nice Buck's

29-Aug-17
Ha ha nmwapiti: you said "oddball". He he.

29-Aug-17
Don't you ever work? Congrats

29-Aug-17
Congrats !

29-Aug-17
Cool deer! CONGRATS!

29-Aug-17
Couple of wild looking racks there! Congrats!

29-Aug-17
A local guy also called them stag bucks. Said they are the best eating on the island. We ate some backstraps off one at camp. Very tender and no gamey taste at all.

06-Sep-17
Congrats on the bucks!!

• Sitka Gear