Ambush 06-Sep-17
gottoohunt 07-Sep-17
Ambush 07-Sep-17
SteveB 07-Sep-17
Rock 07-Sep-17
Timbrhuntr 07-Sep-17
Ambush 09-Sep-17
01-Sep-17
OK. This will be my third trip to Converse County Wyoming for antelope. First trip was so wet I figured Noah had just sailed through the area and picked up all the critters for sorting later. Actually, I saw quite a few goats, but they were wandering aimlessly, looking for dry ground, not water holes. Struck out.

Second trip, my buddy and I both took bucks home.

Took a couple of years to draw for Unit 27, but I did and it's time to see what comes my way. I'll leave Prince George, BC tomorrow morning (Saturday) for twenty six hours of actual driving. It'll take a couple of days, but the scenery is very pleasant and the drive pretty straight forward, with not many large urban areas to slow me down or spoil my view. I do have to drive through the Banff/Jasper park on the last summer long weekend of the year, so that can be frustrating. I finally figured out why federal parks have large, wide pullouts at prime wildlife viewings spots. That's so that people that want to travel can get around all the idiots parked ON the road clicking pics of a marmot or scrawny bear between all the signs that say "No Stopping on Road"!!!

Hopefully I can give live updates and pics as the trip/hunt progresses, for those interested. Not sure about cell service, so it could be spotty. Now to finish packing. I know I'm forgetting things, but I don't and won't know what they are until I need them and it's too late. I've accepted that as part of being a senior : )

I'll sleep in the canopy on the way done. That makes the 14' X 14' tent seem so luxurious in comparison.

Supper tonight with kids and grand-kids, then a short dream period before an early morning start. Hopefully the sun will be setting on me somewhere around the Alberta/Montana border. Good times!!

01-Sep-17
Best of the hunt to you. Safe travels. You should see a goat or two in Converse County.

01-Sep-17
Good luck!!!!!

01-Sep-17
Good hunting!

03-Sep-17
Good luck & safe travels, Rod!

04-Sep-17
Got to my spot last night. Saw lots of goats right at dark, close by. Set up two blinds on waterholes that are within walking distance of camp. Saw several bucks this morning plus a bachelor group of six leaving one of the holes I set up on. No cover around, so hopefully they get used to it quick. I won't hunt today because I don't want to walk in during daylight. Several watching from hill sides as I set up. They're very spooky about people on foot, leaving and from far off! Get in early tomorrow and get serious.

04-Sep-17
Good luck !

04-Sep-17
Rod, I wish you the best of luck on this hunt and hope you get a really good one. Which holes did you set up on?

04-Sep-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Ron, I'm camped at the old buildings and blinds set up just north of Coalmine and first waterhole south of me. The rest are dried up, so that's good. Blinds are positioned where you suggested and that's where the tracks are. One buck in particular looks good, but I don't know what I'm looking for either.

Sitting in a lawn chair, spotting scope set up , watching antelope. Going to have a shower later, a double shot of Crown on ice and watch the sun go down on Goatville. Life is very good!!

I get an error alert when Ibtty to post pics though.

04-Sep-17
Looks like pictures are coming in just fine. Good luck and keep me posted.

04-Sep-17
Will do.

I'll have to control urge to take the first one home that lets me. I was the same with girls when I was young. Haven't changed much.

04-Sep-17
Hmmm, that looks familiar........

04-Sep-17
Don, Rod is actually camped across the Hwy from where you drove in to hunt at the red gate last year.

05-Sep-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
First hunting day!

Sun just popped over the hill, right in my eyes and blind. Exactly wrong, but this is where it has to be. And the warmth is welcome right now 'cause it's friggen cold here this morning!

05-Sep-17
Awesome hope to be looking at the same sight next week.

05-Sep-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Lots of action this morning!

The bachelor group of six came feeding along the pond edge with several does. One buck stood out as bigger and more mass. He was feeding at forty yards, but the sun was right into the blind and several antelope were in front at thirty yards. I decided it would be too much movement to get away with, so just sat tight. No sense making them blind shy this early in the hunt

A few does watered and eventually one buck, but further away from the inlet. Likely because of the blind.

Four more smallish bucks came close but we're too nervous to drink. A few singles wandering around.

I'd like to turn the blind about thirty degrees after dark, but I don't have a hammer with me to pound the stakes in. Might sit the other blind tomorrow and check the inventory there.

05-Sep-17
Rod, Go in early tomorrow and take your hammer with you if you need to turn the Blind. But it also would not hurt to sit the other Blind and see what is coming in there.

05-Sep-17
Added to list bring hammer LOL !

05-Sep-17
Sounds like you can be picky, don't shoot that first 11" one that comes in close. Think horns at least twice as long as ears. Enjoy the cold nights to come. Good luck!

06-Sep-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Done
Ambush's embedded Photo
Done

06-Sep-17
Where's the story?!! Details, man....details!! (Do you also have a profile photo of the antelope, to show his cutters?)

06-Sep-17
Rod, Congrads nice looking buck but we need a side view to see the prongs.

06-Sep-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Late night last night, getting the buck rough butchered and hung and the cape off. Cold again last night, so that is good. I'll bone and bag the meat today finish fleshing the cape and turning ears, eyes, lips, nose and then salt.

Not that I'm going to mount it.

I made the classic novice antelope hunters mistake! He came straight in behind another group and he looked good. At the water, he abruptly turned and started to leave. I panicked and shot him without ever taking a side view. Big mistake!! He has no mass at all. I saw way better bucks and even let shorter but heavy bucks walk.

And it was the first day!

I am disappointed in myself. This trip I had time and a lot of bucks. They were definitely blind shy, but by that evening it was wearing off already.

I made a good, thirty two yard shot and he went down quick. I'm not disappointed in the buck, just my own impatience.

Next time I get drawn, I'll have to have Rock sit next to me with a stick to whack my bow hand when I get trigger happy.

06-Sep-17
Rod, He looks like the Buck I shot several years ago on the big waterhole south of Coal Mine Rd. Similar to you I was disappointed in myself as I shot him early in the hunt and did not take enough time to look him over real good.

06-Sep-17
Congrats !

06-Sep-17
Congrats Rod! Still a great hunt!

06-Sep-17
I find it helps to think about baseball....... =D

If you don't get all excited, well, that's why we do it...

Congrats! Looks good to me! Great hunt and thanks much for sharing it with us......

06-Sep-17
Congrats- you scored! Good, clean shot and fast death. You learned from your mistake- that's hunting maturity in process.

Think of all the bowhunters who did get to hunt antelope this year or never hunted them before who would love to trade places with you.

Savor the experience and enjoy the table fare !! Plan for the future hunts.

06-Sep-17
It's funny. I have killed a ton of bears and I get chided all the time about not shooting a big one because there could be a bigger one just over the next hill.

Now, surrounded by antelope, I can't wait to get and arrow in the air.

It will probably take a couple years to get drawn again, but I'm excited about coming back already. Today, while pulling blinds, I put the scope on several bucks and went into dream mode.

06-Sep-17
Congrats On a nice goat, Rod!

I see you're from BC. I'm curious if the application process is the same for a nonresident alien as it is for plain old nonresidents. Any additional hoops you have to jump through? Also, are there pronghorns in BC? If not, they seem to be about the only big game animal you guys don't have. Good problem to have!

06-Sep-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Thanks all. Camp is all packed and all the work done. I'm just sitting here with a drunk and watching the moon rise. Sometimes we hunters forget how fortunate we are to have this connection to the land and its natural beauty.

T-roy. No extra hoops for aliens. No antelope or javelina in BC. Probably why I want them.

About 1,100 miles here and with my circuitous route back through Alberta to visit family, likely 1,500 back. Kinda relaxing if you're not in a hurry. And I'm not.

06-Sep-17
Haha. Meant to say "drink" not "drunk". But I could make that true too.

07-Sep-17
Nice write up and congratulations. You have inspired me to get off my preference points and do a antelope hunt on my own. I have been three times with other bow guys, now I want to do it on my own. Gottoohunt

07-Sep-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Left my spot as the sun came up this morning and took one last sweep with the binos. Plenty of antelope left for next time!

A few more lessons under the belt. Number one being don't be in s hurry to shoot. I also forgot to get sticky fly catchers for the blind. I had a Thermacell and bug dope......... in the truck. Duh.

Wind does or at least can matter. A couple times I had groups of goats hit my scent skeedadle fast. This despite me emitting a powerful cover scent that I created by having Mountain House and several day old KFC for supper the night before.

A couple of extra collapsable water jugs for showering. A shower before bed sure is nice.

As I pulled out to the road, a little group of the local girls gathered to wave goodbye. Dry creek may recognize one or two of them

07-Sep-17
Congrats on a very nice buck!!

07-Sep-17
Rod, Seems lately I have had the opposite problem as you in that I keep waiting for something bigger and always seem to find some reason not to shoot. Too short, not heavy enough, prong too small etc. But it is all fun and enjoyable to watch them, had 2 days when I was up there earlier where I had over 70 Antelope water during the day and one of those days I only sat until 2:30.

Did you keep track of how many came in while you were in the Blind?

07-Sep-17
Congrats I'm headed to Montana Monday and on my first antelope hunt. I am taking in what everyone says about waiting but it won't help I'll shoot the first buck that gives me a chance.

09-Sep-17
Ron, I only had a few that actually watered. Probably about thirty five came near the water but were too nervous to drink. One big buck came over the hill and stood like a statue for about twenty minutes. It was like he was trying to recall some distant memory concerning that new blob by the water. Then he marched to the pond, 120 yards from me, drank and marched back up and over the hill. I'm sure in a day or two more many would have relaxed and drank comfortably. That's what I should waited for. Next time!

A group of six bucks came over the brow. Two yearlings, two 2 1/2 year olds and two bigger ones following. One "maybe" shooter. They hung up twenty yards from the water. Then the middle bucks, started prodding and pushing the yearlings towards the pond. When they tried to turn back, one of the middle bucks would cut them off. It looked like a very intentional attempt to expose the yearlings to any danger first.

In the meantime, the more mature pair watched from twenty yards further away. Eventually one yearling made a break for it and squirted out between the water and the herders and made a run for it. Then they all just walked off.

On the road home, I saw a group of about eight mule deer does and fawns. With them was one antelope fawn and no other antelope in sight. Road killed mother maybe and just looking for company?

• Sitka Gear