keepemsharp 04-Sep-17
Adventurewriter 04-Sep-17
stealthycat 04-Sep-17
BullBuster 05-Sep-17
welka 05-Sep-17
DL 05-Sep-17
Adventurewriter 07-Sep-17
03-Sep-17
I have found that in the last five years of so my outside ankle "Knobs' are rubbing in my boots and hurting like hell....not raw...but inside think I might have developed a bone spur or something of the like...I duct taped another sock over it and it is cured. Just a pain to be duct taping and un duct taping your ankle every time you switch socks

Any other suggestions???

03-Sep-17
How often do you wear your boots? Have you ever tried after market insoles?

03-Sep-17
Mike.....I do wear after market insoles...my boots are worn in it is just I think the outside knob on my ankle is knobbier and there is a tendon on its highest point...I think some sort of easy to use pad would work

03-Sep-17
I'd try altering the boot itself - its not fitting your foot if you're getting pair I cut the entire side out of a pair of cycling shoes so they'd fit :)

04-Sep-17
You touched on it....when a tendon rubs across a rough surface like bone you get the tendonitis/bursitis type situation. You can get some relief from Cortisone shots. Jerry rig a piece of foam shaped like a donut...the donut shape will keep it in place. Slide it in your sock and rock on. You might have to shape it or trim it if it feels weird in a spot or two.

04-Sep-17
Franklin I am think that is going to work will give it a try...thanks for the suggestion

04-Sep-17
my wife swears on moleskin and KT Tape .... she's a high mileage runner

04-Sep-17
Stealthy....for inside irritation????? most running shoes are below the ankle knob...am I getting it right sounds like a viable easy option if I am... Pheasant hunting last year it REALLY hurt taped a sock for padding and it went right away...just want to not hassle with the sock taping

04-Sep-17
Adventurewriter, if you're in the Denver metro area, go see Jim Murray who owns Murray's Shoes. And plan on buying a pair of tennis shoes or something there. He's a podiatric orthopedist, and knows his stuff. Murray's Shows is at Wadsworth and Bowles, SE corner, E of the Barnes and Noble....

You sound like a good candidate for a podiatrist visit.

04-Sep-17
I have bone bumps I have to deal with too. Put something round and hard, pool ball, trailer hitch ball on the spot, wedge it in there with something, then let it sit a couple days with wet towels over the boot. Then let it dry for a day or two.

04-Sep-17
Keeps em...I saw that suggestion online and going to do it....thanks everyone

04-Sep-17
no I mean she has no problem modifying a shoe and/or taping he aches away. It works

if I were you, and on the cusp of a hunt and that was happening I've modify that spot on the boot ... I'd cut it out somehow to eliminate the friction where its hitting your ankle knobs

that's going to be a killer in the mtns or on long hikes etc ....

05-Sep-17
get an xray

05-Sep-17
I feel your pain and have had it for many years (see prior posts on boots and zero break in boots). Couple of thoughts for you: Existing boots: If you have room, purchase some thick (i.e at least 1/4" thick) inserts and put them on top of existing foot sole insert. May be just enough to get you out of friction (pain range). If your boot has "extra" ankle support eyes, bypass them with the shoelace AND keep your ankle area and other eyes barely tightened and ONLY tighten the last set of eyes. You may lose a little ankle support, but will still have plenty. If these two do not work, need new boots. New boots: Try any boots that are at least 2E wide and buy 1/2 size longer than what you fit into in COLD weather. I use Mendl Ultralights as they are zero break in and have plenty of room. Other than that, take athletic tape and mole skin with you on extended hunts as they can cover up raw spots until you can get home to let them heal up. Good luck with not a fun problem.

05-Sep-17
There are still cobblers around in some areas that could alter them for you. The ones around here are imagrants. No one in there right mind would take that up as a profession. The Russian here could make shoes for Sasquatch.

07-Sep-17
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!! If your feet aren't happy nothings happy

• Sitka Gear