Treeline 07-Sep-17
wooddamon1 07-Sep-17
05-Sep-17

Lark Bunting's embedded Photo
Jackson with his new .22
Jackson with his new .22
*I should apologize for the length up front, this is a bit lengthy.*

I like to write. I'm not great at it but I do my best and it helps me ingrain the memories better into my brain. My hunting experiences began around 2012. My son and I took the hunter's safety course together when he was almost 10. I bought him a Ruger 10/22. We began that winter with some small game hunting, which turned more into hiking with a .22 or a 12ga shotgun. We explored and had a great time.

05-Sep-17

J with squirrel
J with squirrel
We never could get the rabbits to stand still in the forest like they do in our yard at home, so we shot some squirrels!

05-Sep-17
Ummm, eat what you shoot, right?

05-Sep-17

05-Sep-17

Grandpa's knife
Grandpa's knife
July of 2013 my mom had found her father's old hunting knife. I never met the man but he and I would have gotten along well, I think. I didn't grow up hunting or camping. I fly fished since I was little but those were only day trips. As I got older I was always fascinated by hunting and the outdoors but marriage and kids kind of slowed me down. I was into Jeeps, shooting guns and bows but only at the range. My grandpa was into hunting, fishing, camping, shooting sports, Jeeping and was a mechanical engineer, as am I. In 2013 my mom gave me his old hunting knife.

05-Sep-17

September of 2013 we went on our first OTC elk hunt.

05-Sep-17

Jackson blending in well with the natural surroundings
Jackson blending in well with the natural surroundings
We had some fun wandering and learning. First lesson...after a half day of hiking around in the woods we quickly realized our packs were too dang heavy. When we got back to camp we started emptying stuff out and realized that between the two of us we had 7 knives. LOL!!!

05-Sep-17

In Jan of 2014 I bought a big upgrade from the Hoyt Rebel XT I had been taking to the range for all those years. I got a used Mathews Drenalin. I bought a lot of used stuff and accepted a lot of handed down gear as well. Outfitting myself and my son for hunting was getting expensive!

05-Sep-17

A few weeks later my son's bow arrived.

05-Sep-17

We practiced...a LOT!

05-Sep-17

We received some intel from cnelk of a spot that might be suitable for an elk hunt with my son. It was a haul but we did our due diligence and went scouting.

05-Sep-17

I considered this our first real elk hunt since I had a year to read up on forums, research an area and do a LOT of practicing with the calls and new bow. Opening morning was a riot. We left camp at 0'dark-thirty and returned around lunch to find fresh elk prints all over our camp spot! They were rooting around int he fire pit, folder my truck mirror in and bent a leg on the E-Z Up canopy! We could have unzipped our tent and sat inside and waited for them to come through...instead we just stayed ahead of them all morning.

05-Sep-17

I had drawn a deer tag that year and was fortunate enough to have a doe jump out of her bed, stand still long enough for me to shoot. Amazing experience!

05-Sep-17
AWESOME! Way to go! I am always very impressed at people that get into hunting without any guidance. An uphill climb compared to what most of us have had for sure.

05-Sep-17

Lark Bunting's Link
Right after filling my deer tag I received an offer to join a forum member on an OTC elk trip. He wouldn't be able to go until that Saturday afternoon but I left for the spot on Friday. I drove right to where he told me to park, hiked the most miserable hill, and listened...ELK BUGLES!!!!! It was music to my ears! I had read a ton and watched videos but in that instance the only ting I could think to do was take video since my son couldn't join me on that trip. HA! Pardon the rookie elk calling!

05-Sep-17

Anthony arrived the next day and the elk had moved off. The season ended with Anthony and I eating my deer steaks and drinking a few beers around the fire. We had a fun hunt though! That off season I built arrows for the first time for my son.

05-Sep-17
Good for you! Another generation being brought on board, glad to see it. way to go!

05-Sep-17

NOT A TENT!!!
NOT A TENT!!!
2015 rolled in and we planned another scouting trip. My son gets really bad migraines and woke up with one this particular day. We didn't get an early start as planned but he still wanted to go scout after spending the morning barfing. We sat in I-70 traffic for EVER and we decided to have lunch in the truck. He quickly realized that he forgot to bring chips to go with our sandwiches! I gave him hell for two hours about that! We rolled into camp and began setting up our ...tent...only to realize I hadn't grabbed a tent I grabbed a dang beach sun shade!!!!! Oh my, the crap he gave me was PRICELESS!!!!! When we got home I immediately wrote on both ends of the bag, "NOT A TENT!!!".

05-Sep-17

We had fun on our scouting trip. Always amazing views!

05-Sep-17
Loving this story so far! Parents hunting with their kids is one of the best things going! Looking forward to the rest of the story!

05-Sep-17

No Arrow
No Arrow

Lark Bunting's Link
We spent some time at camp shooting our bows...literally, just the bows...no arrows...he forgot to knock an arrow. Yup, first dry fire...DAMN! Luckily he wasn't pulling much weight and his bow survived. (I happened to be filming the entire thing in slow-mo and didn't see it until it was too late)

05-Sep-17

We spent the better part of 2015 hunting season with him fighting migraines, neurology appointments, and trying to fill his deer tag when he felt up to it.

05-Sep-17

Him capturing my elk woods runway pose...
Him capturing my elk woods runway pose...
We finished up with a little elk hunting that season. He had fun being out there as much as he could. This was probably the freshest rub I've ever seen...

05-Sep-17
No filters, not even from my camera phone. I didn't have Instagram until this year and I rarely ever use it. I am a social media neophyte. The one photo of my son while deer hunting I used the Selective Focus on my Galaxy S5.

*Edit* Someone accused me of using filters from Instagram or Snapchat. Sorry for the random post...

05-Sep-17

No birds. We got used to taking our weapons on long hikes. :(
No birds. We got used to taking our weapons on long hikes. :(
We were really embracing the hunting culture and decided to expand our horizons!

05-Sep-17

More archery practice on the new target.

05-Sep-17

2016 was hell on my son. He was in the ER numerous times with migraines, we sought out the #1 pediatrics neuro in the Rocky Mountain region. He didn't hunt but once. I always try to make sure he's just having fun while out...with a little hunting thrown in. He liked this idea at the campfire.

05-Sep-17

I went out a few times last year and brought my fly fishing gear with me and some extra stuff for a buddy to give it a try. Elk and trout definitely don't live in ugly places!!!

05-Sep-17
great write-up! I can't wait until my son is old enough to drag around the woods with me. A tradition unlike any other.

05-Sep-17
you are an awesome Dad!

05-Sep-17
Great Stuff Tom!!!

05-Sep-17
Keep it coming brother and I hope your boy is doing better!

Prayer your way:)

05-Sep-17

I took the winter off of shooting. I started a new position with a start-up company in January and it kept me busy. March came rolling around and I began shooting again. My first five arrows:

05-Sep-17

This was NOT a great way to do a first time back pack trip...she insisted on bringing 4 huge bottles of Smartwater...that I ended up carrying. I didn't bring enough whiskey.
This was NOT a great way to do a first time back pack trip...she insisted on bringing 4 huge bottles of Smartwater...that I ended up carrying. I didn't bring enough whiskey.
I have been saving PP's for elk since day one and deer the last two years. I put in for a draw unit that my buddies have hinted the last few years. Between the two of them they have taken three bulls in the last couple seasons. I was excited to find out the draw and also nervous as heck as it would be a back pack trip...and up to this summer I had never done that. What better way to practice than to grab your wife and go! Sure, an over-nighter will be great preparation for a multi-night backpack hunt in September! LOL (BTW- We fought the whole time)

05-Sep-17

At some point in there I had written a quick story explaining on the Book of Faces about my son's empathy when I shot our deer. He had read in a book that the Native Americans would place grass in the animal's mouth as a sign of respect. He did exactly that and asked for a few minutes to say a prayer. Rose from the CBA caught the write up and asked if she could publish it. I printed a copy of the article and placed it in a shadowbox I made to commemorate the event. There is a piece of hide I salted, the broad head, and a few photos, Also included...my grandfather's knife. I was happy to be able to use it to skin my first big game animal and was ready to retire it.

05-Sep-17

Hideous Beard in all its glory! Blech!
Hideous Beard in all its glory! Blech!
Turns out that I had drawn both my deer tag and elk tag this season. TIme to practice some more archery!!! I also began running, like Forrest frikken Gump! I ran a LOT!!! I was lifting and running and trying to clean up everything (except the hideous beard that I decided to grow until I shot an animal or the season ended). I wanted to be in good shape for the elk hunt! I made a plan that I would hunt deer opening weekend and elk the weekend after.

05-Sep-17

More archery practice.

J and I went out and "built some blinds". Really, we were just two dudes in the woods having some fun.

05-Sep-17

More archery practice. Pretty dumb to be slinging multiple arrows at the same spot a week before season. :(

05-Sep-17

Lark Bunting's Link
Finally! Opening Day! My buddy Dustin joined me on the opening day deer hunt! THis particular unit used to be about 50% on drawing an E/S archery tag with zero points. It's now a minimum of one point and it took me two. It's also a buck only unit now and cut the number of tags in half. I have no idea why they pulled so many tags, we found a LOT of good deer. We saw 5 doe and 5 bucks in a day and a half. Once again, they don't stand there quite long enough to get super close...but, we had fun. Dustin had to leave after the first night so I was left out in the woods all alone with the boogyman. I survived the night and the next day I had two does feed to within 13 yards of the rock I was sitting on in a shadow on the mountain. If only this had still been an E/S unit!!!!! Edit: Oh yeah, I went on a Kuiu shopping binge! Check out those dorks with the matching camo! HA!!!!!

05-Sep-17

Deer? Waldo? :shrug:
Deer? Waldo? :shrug:
I think there's a deer in this picture... On to my 2017 elk hunt when I get back from my daughter's gymnastics lesson!!!

05-Sep-17

I wrapped up deer camp and immediately started the last minute preps for the backpack elk hunt. *GULP* Pack was weighing in around 42 pounds before water. I was carrying more of my son's stuff to help lighten his load.

05-Sep-17

No idea why this is so blurry. I promise I took it with a phone and not a potato.
No idea why this is so blurry. I promise I took it with a phone and not a potato.
Saturday, September 2, 5:00 am, my phone alarm is bugling it's nuts off! I had set an alarm of a bugling bull to wake up to but didn't realize how loud it would be at 5:00 am. It scared the hell out of me! My son had been at his high school's football game with friends the night before. Inner-town rivalry game to open the season! He didn't get home until 10:45. You ever try waking up a 15 year old that stayed up too late the night before at 5:00 on a Saturday?! Not fun! We arrived at Duatin's house by 6:05 and piled everything into his truck and off we went! We had a five hour drive, not including stops. We found a fun little diner in the mountains that was absolutely RAPING people with their $2.00 pancakes and my son is a GROWING boy!!! Oh, conveniently, Dustin forgot his wallet. I can't believe breakfast was $45.

05-Sep-17

The hike in.
The hike in.
Made it to the first saddle.
Made it to the first saddle.
Alright, six-or-so hours later and we arrive at a good parking spot. We are a little over a half mile to the trail head. We quickly dress and hit the road...or the trail...whatever. As we approach the trail head I quickly realized I packed WAY too much shit! Oh my, I am in big trouble. I believe I must have had six liters of water and too dang much food! It took us two hours to hike in the two miles to camp. I had to stop a lot and my hips were really hurting from the weight of the pack. We got camp set up, ate lunch and rested for a few minutes then left to continue up the trail for some hunting. We made the first saddle by 4:00 or so.

05-Sep-17
That steep drop off behind us and on the right side of the photo is THE Hell Hole™. I know, I know, everyone uses that expression...this is THE Hell Hole™. Right after the picture of the two of us on the saddle we heard the first bugle, and it was a really long way down the Hell Hole™. My buddy got excited for a moment as if we were about to drop 2000' in elevation after I had just packed 1400 pounds of water and food in for a two night adventure. I don't think so! Instead, since it was my son's first real experience with bugling elk I ripped off a locator bugle and immediately got a response. I sent another bugle and told my son to cow call loudly...he did...and got a response! His eyes were so wide in awe! I bugled again after a minute or two and he replied...RIGHT BELOW US!

05-Sep-17
I like your shadow box idea with the write-up, broadhead, hunting knife, and piece of hide. Great memento for the years to come! I have stuff like that from the late 1950s (I'm old), priceless! Some day your boy will look back on it and say the same, "priceless"!

05-Sep-17
None of us were prepared with an arrow knocked or anything so we quickly knocked an arrow. That bull kept bugling but he moved back into his Hell Hole™. We kept on the ridge trail and went over to the next saddle. This spot is where the elk like to transition daily and my buddy had found the perfect ambush post on a previous trip. We made our way down the east side of the saddle and set up in a meadow of aspen mixed with pines. It was really quiet in there so we stuck with cow calls for a few minutes. We did a 3-way set up hoping one of us would have a chance at an elk.

05-Sep-17
Thank you casekiska! Back to the story; I hadn't shot an elk yet, ever, and I was on a mission to take the first legal animal I could get within bow range. After about 10 minutes of cow calling I got bored. I admit it, I was bored! I grabbed my bugle tube and fired off a locator and immediately got a response just inside the dark timber about 60 yards away! I bugled again and he chuckled, I chuckled and did some cow calls and he raked a tree! I told my son to grab his rangefinder out of his pack (we were not as prepared as we should have been) and follow me to a certain tree in the thick forest. We Sprinted to that tree and I bugled again, so did the bull, and he was REALLY close!!!!! I could feel his bugles in my chest! I bugled one last time and when he replied I raced up another 20 feet or so...and that's when I saw him!

05-Sep-17
He was lumbering right along toward me looking for this other bull or some cows and for a second I thought I was going to have to take the dreaded frontal shot as he was coming right toward me! I ranged and couldn't even guess the numbers because I was shaking so badly. twenty-something...I think...I don't know...and he stopped. He was facing a big pine and could have gone either to his left or to his right. He went left and then stopped behind a downed log. All of a sudden my nerves were perfectly calm. I have ran this exact scenario through my head hundreds of times preparing for this situation. I settled my 20-30 gap in the crease and released. It was a slight quartering too shot but I was 100% confident in my shot. THWACK! (run...run...run)...CRASH!!!!! He was dead seconds after the shot!!!

05-Sep-17
We all cow called and I started bugling because that's what I had envisioned for so long and that's what everyone does, right?! "When in Rome!".

Dustin told me that I could stop as he believed the bull was dead. I couldn't see it as he made it down hill about 30 yards and it was pretty thick. We looked for my arrow and couldn't find it. We circled and looked for a blood trail and couldn't find one. That's when Dustin called me over. He laid eyes on my bull first. I have video of me walking up but I don't have it on youtube yet. There he was, my first elk!

05-Sep-17
One more with my son and I. I am so happy he was able to be there with me. 5:20 PM on September 2, we were hunting for an hour or so on the first night we packed in and we had a bull on the ground.

Wait, we have to pack this thing out of here tonight!!! Temperatures were expected to be int he 80's at our altitude the next day!!! Oh $***!!!!!

05-Sep-17

The moon was pretty but at the expense of half the western USA on fire. :(
The moon was pretty but at the expense of half the western USA on fire. :(
We deboned the animal (my first time) and left for the truck 3 miles away with the first load. Good grief!!! We made it in 2 1/2 hours, rested briefly, filtered water and headed back up. It was a two hour hike up and 2 1/2 out. We did that three times and finished with the last load of meat at 6:30 on Sunday morning. We slept sort of in the truck....I slept under the truck, for 3 hours or so. I woke up at 9:15 and wanted to go get the antlers. I decided that since I was the idiot that shot this beautiful creature that I would walk the entire distance to the elk head and let J and D stop and pack up camp. I made it in record time...2.5 hours in! Oh, and it took me almost 2 hours to get back to camp! I was so tired and my legs were so sore, I was having a hard time moving. Oh, and we hadn't eaten anything since lunch on Saturday!

05-Sep-17
Wow! Way to go, Lark! Enjoy all that meat for a year.

05-Sep-17
Very awesome Tom!!!!

05-Sep-17
Thanks Tom I am all smiles at work now thanks to you and your story. My shoulder wont let me pull a bow this year so everyone's tales will have to get me by thank you!

05-Sep-17

Well, I am tired and it's been a lot of posting for one afternoon.

Quick side story, we got pulled over by a Dept of Widlife officer and checked. He checked license, carcass tag, driver's license, hunter's safety card, coolers, evidence of sex and each game bag to determine that we'd brought everything out. I am SOOO happy I had read all the rules because Dustin was suggesting that they always tape the carcass tag to the antlers. The officer told me specifically they had to be on the evidence of sex. I watched the guy fondle the nuts with the tag, put it all away. He then extended his hand to congratulate me. *ewww* I am thinking that this was somehow the elk's final revenge on me for doing what I did to him.

Good night! Thanks for following my story! I have steaks to grill!

Tom

05-Sep-17

Grandpa's old knife!
Grandpa's old knife!
One last thing...look what came on the elk hunt!

05-Sep-17
Dude, this was AWESOME!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you guys!

05-Sep-17
Very cool. Congratulations!

05-Sep-17
Very cool story! Congratulations.

05-Sep-17
Bravo, an inspiring story and excellently written. Really admire guys who get into hunting as adults.

05-Sep-17
Very cool

05-Sep-17
I'm with WV, AWESOME ! Great story and pics, thanks for posting.

05-Sep-17
Great story - loved it! Congrats!!!

05-Sep-17
Awesome story and be able to share the experience with your son.

05-Sep-17
Awesome! Congrats to everyone - especially you!

05-Sep-17
Fantastic! First elk, first bull, with your son along, called in...you hit a whole lot of great check boxes on this hunt. Congratulations!

05-Sep-17
I picture you and your grandfather being VERY much alike! He would be so proud of you - especially for including your son in your adventures. Great write up. Thanks for taking us along! Pete

05-Sep-17
Great story!! So inspiring as I just had a son this last summer.

05-Sep-17
Good hunt and story! Congrats!

05-Sep-17
Such an awesome story! Major congrats!

05-Sep-17
Good going Tom!

I'll see ya tomorrow :)

05-Sep-17
That's Awesome! Congratulations to you. It's a great thing to experience this with your son.

05-Sep-17
Excellent story congrats.

05-Sep-17
Really enjoyed that..thanks for sharing:) Here's to many more adventures for you and your son!

06-Sep-17
Thank you all for the kind words. I had a lot of fun writing it up. I am blessed to have had so many inspirational "online friends" from the forums cheering us on for the last few years. Heck, looking at the photos I can't believe how much my son has grown since we started this.

We both have a deer tag and will do a deer hunt in two weeks but I am thinking about leaving my bow at home and focusing on his first animal. We'll see. (Honestly, Saturday night after about the 11th mile I had swore off hunting all together...lol!)

I have some random pictures I'll add here and there as I can. Going to be a LONG day tomorrow but well worth it. I'll be writing a HUGE shout-out to a very generous person if he's okay with it. I had a buddy (Anthony) offer me up a prize he'd won for a free skull cleaning AKA Euromount! I'll be dropping off the head tomorrow!!!!! OMG, I feel SO Blessed!

06-Sep-17
Excellent!!

06-Sep-17
Congrats! Good luck to you and your son on the deer hunt.

06-Sep-17
Excellent story, thanks for sharing! Best of luck on the deer hunt this fall. I'm sure your son has a blast getting to hunt with his dad, regardless of the season and who gets to drop the string.

06-Sep-17
I love your story telling style. Congratulations! "Fondle the nuts"... lol!

06-Sep-17
What a great read! Thanks for taking the time to write and posting your adventures! While you are lucky to have a son who you can take into the outdoors I hope he realizes what a cool Dad he has to take him with.

Cheers

JCHB

06-Sep-17
What a great story. Thanks for the write up. I'm just beginning to share my hunting adventures with my son. Puts a whole new perspective on time in the field.

06-Sep-17
Excellent read.....thanks for sharing! Congrats on your first elk....and making bowhunting memories for a lifetime! Just a head's up, if you think you were excited walking up on your first elk....just wait until you walk up on your son's first elk! Just a matter of time.... ;^)

06-Sep-17
Thank you sir for bringing us along, great writing.

06-Sep-17
Many thanks for sharing your hunting journey and your most recent successful adventure; memories of a lifetime right there!! Good luck and good hunting! PS Hope your son's migraines dont get any worse...took my first aged six, and grew out of them by age eighteen

06-Sep-17
Great story from start to finish. Thanks for taking us along and prayers to your son on the migraines. He's got a great dad, thats for sure and i look forward to the day we see a pic with his hands on his animal!

06-Sep-17
That was great! Best of luck to you and your son for the rest of the season.

06-Sep-17
As a b

06-Sep-17
Oops...as a beginner elk hunter i fully appreciate your truths as to your uncertainty if your doing the right thing at the right time,your mistakes,fears ect. Gives me a "hell I can do it too" boost.. Great story..

06-Sep-17
Great story Congrats on your bull !

06-Sep-17
Very cool story! Thanks for sharing.

06-Sep-17
And that is the "Right way, for the Right reasons"... Congratulations. That is what hunting was meant to be, you truly earned that Bull. I love it when hard work and determination pay off. You are welcome in my camp anytime.

06-Sep-17
Congrats on the bull! Great write up and thanks so much for sharing!

06-Sep-17
I am Very Happy for you and your son, congratulations on an amazing adventure together and taking a great bull!

God Bless!

Scar.

06-Sep-17
Awesome story! Thank you for writing it up. I enjoyed it a lot

06-Sep-17
That was a great . Thank you for posting and congrats on the first of many. Hunt

06-Sep-17

Jackson and I
Jackson and I
Not sure what happened to the picture of my son and I but I want to include it in this thread so ... one more try.

06-Sep-17

My son's name is Jackson.

Here is the CBA write up from a few years ago.

06-Sep-17
Congrats to you both. I commend you for being a great Dad and mentor to your son.

Great write up !

06-Sep-17
Absolutely amazing story! Congrats on a great animal!

06-Sep-17
I got more congrats to you and well wishes.

06-Sep-17
Fantastic... really enjoyed it. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-Sep-17
<3

06-Sep-17
Lark- You are are THE MAN. Well done, good work on the elk and even better job with your son. I hope you continue to enjoy time in the woods together. You get it!

06-Sep-17
Awesome read & I definitely can relate. I started taking my son along at age three & now, he's over 40 & an accomplished Bowhunter & we have shared so many adventures.. Congratulations. Now, I have G-kids to share these adventures with too.

06-Sep-17
Thank you guys. I really appreciate it. :)

07-Sep-17
Great story....thanks for posting!

07-Sep-17
Awesome story! Congratulations on a great bull!

I love to see guys getting into hunting later in life that really didn't have that in their upbringing. Definitely more of a learning curve!

Great to see you getting out there with your son! Love seeing the pictures over the years of him growing up and spending quality time with his Hero. You are doing it right!

Good Luck to you and Jackson for the deer hunt this year and the many to come in the future!

Thank you for sharing.

07-Sep-17
Great stuff! Congrats!

• Sitka Gear