Contributors to this thread:
greenmountain 05-Sep-17
BigStriper 05-Sep-17
BigOk 05-Sep-17
Crusader dad 05-Sep-17
MDW 06-Sep-17
Lark Bunting 06-Sep-17
05-Sep-17
After reading and looking at the pictures of "A hunting story" I wanted to share my story of a man and a knife. My grandfather was the man and the knife has an honored place in my hunting gear. I was about 10 when we started the project together. Pappy as we called him had a dull knife. He told me that he would someday give it to me but a man doesn't give a dull knife to someone he values.The journey began. He produced an old file and we reshaped he blades together.It took days as he only let me work on it while I was focused. When the shape was acceptable we progressed to a whet stone.It took a boy's eternity to get the edge acceptable. For weeks he would wet his arm and take a test swipe. His verdict was always "almost". One day the knife shaved the hair off from his arm and it became my knife. He told me that it was my job to keep it that way. I did as promised. Pappy passed on but his lessons remain with me. I have had the knife for over fifty years and I can still shave hair with it. I have a new granddaughter and I am searching for a dull knife made from good steel. I hope she and I can make the same deal I made with my grandfather.

05-Sep-17
That's another Great story,I'm glad you got to spend time with your grandfather,my son never got to see his.

Kurt

05-Sep-17
Awesome story. My go to knife was gift from grandfather "Pa".

05-Sep-17
Good story, I have and use my grandpas knife as well. I'll be passing it on to my boy one day.

06-Sep-17
Wish i had known my Grandpa's better, as they both passed when I was 5 or 6 years old. My folks didn't hunt as they were to busy raising 7 kids, so I'm not sure where my love of the outdoors and hunting came from. One thing, my son's and grandkids have all the oppertunities they want!

06-Sep-17

Lark Bunting's embedded Photo
Lark Bunting's embedded Photo
Awesome story and so great that you still have that knife. My grandfather that that used the knife that my mom handed down to me passed away at 45 (my exact age now) when my mom was pregnant with me.

I hope you find the perfect knife to work on with your grand daughter.

• Sitka Gear