TD 16-Sep-17
TXHunter 17-Sep-17
Trial153 17-Sep-17
Deertick 17-Sep-17
elkstabber 02-Oct-17
huntabsarokee 02-Oct-17
Highlander 02-Oct-17
08-Sep-17
Other than price is there any difference between the garmin unit and deloreme inreach se unit?

08-Sep-17
Garmin bought Delorme so, no, there is no difference.

08-Sep-17
Garmin bought Delorme so, no, there is no difference.

08-Sep-17
The new garmin inreach explorer is supposed to have preloaded topo maps. I have not seen this first hand but read it on The internet ??. The delorme inreach explorer does not. I know this first hand as I had one. I also know first hand that if it's on and you lose it on The tundra, they can locate it for you, but if it's OFF you'll be like me and buying a new one. I also know the Garmin is about 200 more than the delorme right now.

08-Sep-17
I have two of the Delorme inreach units I'd like to sell

08-Sep-17
The Delorme is more of a locator and messaging device than anything else.

I picked one up this year instead of a Garmin as I did not see the reason to have another gps unit.

08-Sep-17
Been using my Delorme for 2 years. Really like it. Text home once a day. It's great peace of mind and hasn't ever failed me.

09-Sep-17
Darn....I was going to say that I know where you can get one for free....all you have to do is wander the tundra in the vicinity of where Caribou77 was hunting recently....the problem is that once you turn it on, they can locate you, and he'll want it back!! LOL

09-Sep-17
Double post

09-Sep-17
I bought the del unit cheep about a month ago. Easy to keep in touch with family. I hunt with 2 other guys, we often go our own ways on a hunt but we use to talk to one another if we don't plan on coming back to camp that day or if someone gets a shot to send location for help

09-Sep-17
Small differences in buttons and screen size. They garmin is an upgrade. The new garmin explorer had nice maps and a good gps if you don't want to carry a gps and communication device.

09-Sep-17
Jake....your killing me. lol Sounds like with the maps in the new one, I may have a good reason to upgrade! :)

10-Sep-17
Thanks everyone going to go ahead and order one just want it for the wife to have a little peace of mind while I am in the hills.

10-Sep-17
You won't regret whatever model you purchase.

10-Sep-17
Pair it with your phone via Bluetooth - way easier to type a message.

11-Sep-17
I can see a definite advantage of not having to carry a gps plus communication device.

11-Sep-17
Other than Delorme to Delorme is there anyway for someone to send you a msg that you hadn't previously sent a msg too?

11-Sep-17
Huntinelk

Yes I believe so. Give them your InReach email address

11-Sep-17
cnelk,

According to their website the delorme email will only work from another delorme unit, says other types of email won't be delivered. Have you had success receiving the first email of a conversation from a computer?

11-Sep-17
I haven't attempted that.

I typically send a message to a few people once I arrive in the mtns - each weekend. That way they will have an updated number to respond to

12-Sep-17
Easy if you text or email from your contacts using your Inreach/paired iPhone those that you want to communicate with first.....as cnelk says. Then they can respond to your message or email.

They work great for bush communications. Just used my Garmin low end Inreach unit for 28 total days in the NWT and northern BC without a hiccup. Wife, friends, relatives, pilots, etc were contacted and communicated with "just like texting". The North just got smaller, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your point of view and the situation at hand.

12-Sep-17
I am with Kurt and cnelk. I text whoever I want to keep in touch with while I am gone and let them know I arrived safely. After that it has worked flawlessly and kept me in touch for 3 years now

12-Sep-17
I just bought the Garmin unit last week. I went with Garmin as I feared the DeLorme may not be supported in the future by Garmin anymore. Could be wrong, but I'd hate to spend almost as much and only get a short time period out of it.

12-Sep-17
They should be able to send you messages if you enable them on the map share on your account page. You need to give them a link to map share and a password you provide. Then they can message you from a pc. I set it up for my daughter to be able to messag me since she is 9 And doesn't have a cell phone. Not sure how it works since I Am in the middle of my 32 hour drive to Wyoming.

12-Sep-17
The Garmin InReach is super handy. Download the Earthmate app and you sync your smartphone with the InReach and access all your contacts and type messages on your phone. I used it on a recent sheep hunt in B.C. and it worked slick as heck. I'd highly recommend, mine worked great.

12-Sep-17
I've sent and received both email and text from my Wife and Daughter over the last couple years, on my original Delorme InReach SE unit.

12-Sep-17
As stated, if someone has your inreach address they can contact you at anytime.

16-Sep-17
If communicating with another inreach unit, does it point out their position similar to what the Rino GPS does? Give you a "go to" point or if a position is given, do you have to manually enter the position for a "go to" on the GPS unit?

Looking into them..... really like the fact they have gone to a microUSB for charging. Much better and more versatile than the Rino. I can charge it in the field with a power bank/pack

17-Sep-17
I really enjoyed the DeLorme on my recent Yukon trip. Nice to tell my wife about my ram the day I took it and update her every other day or so.

It's a double edged sword as I am old school and prefer less technology in the bush rather than more. But even this old dog appreciates the ability to give my family peace of mind. The SOS feature is a comfort to them also.

17-Sep-17
Inreach is must have for me. I don't even consider not taking it anymore

17-Sep-17
So, the new Garmin InReach GPS units don't allow use of micro-SD cards ... is that right? I sure like having up to date land ownership on my GPS. The lack of adding something like that seems like a huge problem.

02-Oct-17
The difference between the DeLorme and Garmin devices: For the yellow model there is no difference. For the orange (Explorer) model there is a difference with the mapping. The older DeLorme allows you to download topo maps to your phone (which you mate up to the DeLorme). Whereas on the Garmin Explorer model there is a basic topo map already on the unit.

I learned this the hard way a few weeks ago. I backpacked into a wilderness area and my smart phone used a lot more battery than expected. This crippled my navigation because for the first time I went in without a paper map. The Delorme Explorer that I was using has full GPS function but no topo maps. The Inreach units have a great battery - way better than my smart phone. The only topo map I had with me was on the smart phone.

So if you want a backup topo map you'll want the Garmin Inreach Explorer, and not the DeLorme Inreach Explorer.

The DeLorme unit sells for about $250-$300 and the Garmin is about $450.

02-Oct-17
TD, yes if you text to another inreach your message pops up on their map with exact location. I sent a text to my buddy I had 1 down and needed help. He arrived within 1 foot of my shot location from the message. It was nice to keep tabs on others in our group from their messages.

02-Oct-17
I wanted to get the new Garmin model but then I found out that there is no slot for SD card and I really like my ONXMaps chip.

• Sitka Gear