JL 27-Jan-19
LKH 27-Jan-19
Bull Elk 28-Jan-19
DMTJAGER 29-Jan-19
COHOYTHUNTER 11-Feb-19
jdee 11-Feb-19
Busta'Ribs 11-Feb-19
10-Sep-17
I recently sent my older model 10 x 42 El binoculars back to Swarovski in Rhode Island for repair. They were accidentally knocked off a table and landed sideways on a tiled floor and the metal piece that you attach the strap on broke in half. I received a call on Friday and was told that there experts determined it was normal wear and tear on the binoculars and therefore not covered? (Cost to repair $160 US). I told them I accidentally knocked them off a table and it was not normal wear and tear. I was then told they do not cover accidental drops. My own darn fault as I have had Swarovski products for over 20 years and their reputation was that they had the best warranty in the business....no questions asked. Was I wrong! I had a pair of SL binoculars repaired a dozen years before...complete overhaul at no charge and have known other owners to have had the same no questions asked results in years past. So many great binoculars to choose from now and since Swarovski does not cover wear and tear or accidental drops another company will be getting my future dollars. They said their warranty has not changed but the $160 say's different! Are they still a great binocular - YES....but I am very disappointed with their warranty.

10-Sep-17
Sometimes information supplied can be confusing vs the lack thereof. However,I bet for $160 you will essentially have a new set of binoculars as they usually replace everything !If they don't do that then and only then would I think their policy has changed.

10-Sep-17
I see no reason for disappointment.

10-Sep-17
From the Swarovski warranty:

"This warranty is void if damage results from unauthorized repairs, accident, alteration, misuse, abuse, neglect, fire, flood or other acts of God."

When I had my EL's flip out of my pack onto concrete because *I* did not zip my pack closed entirely, I willingly paid to have the binoculars repaired the damage was clearly not covered under the warranty. No tears.

10-Sep-17
Considering that glass runs into the thousands, 160 isn't to bad to have them fixed.

10-Sep-17
I think the OPs point is almost every bino company now offers a no questions asked warranty. Why pay huge money and not get that warranty? And yes they might be the best but is the gap big enough to justify their crappy warranty? I guess that's for the buyer to decide.

I would be curious to see what you get for 160. If it's a complete overhaul then I think that would be a no brainer!

10-Sep-17
I chipped a lens on my 10-42 el Swarovski binoculars and sent them in and was charged $160.00 which included all new upgraded glass. Boy was I happy when I got them back,that was 4 years ago!!

10-Sep-17
I don't know what to say other than I would have felt bad about wanting them fixed by causing the problem. And, I would have been pissed if they tried to charge me for fixing them after hearing all the BS about their warranty.

10-Sep-17

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo

10-Sep-17
Just an FYI. I believe that Vortex offers a no questions asked warranty on their binoculars for the life of the product. I have some and are super happy with them.

10-Sep-17
Vortex does have a great warranty. It's too bad they don't have good glass.

The reason people buy things is sometimes irrational. In this case, a warranty can "close the gap" for some consumers.

Not me.

I want that silver eagle on my optics. I'm willing to pay for it if I break it, and would expect that to cost money.

On another note, I know some guys that had a lens on a spotter form the 80's that wouldn't focus anymore. They sent it to Swarovski and got a brand new HD spotter in the mail. Of course, they didn't break the spotting scope...

10-Sep-17
I don't see myself as "irrational", but I have been really happy with my Vortex glass. But then again, I have a limit to how much I am willing to spend on most items. I also shoot Remington 870s. Wow, maybe I am irrational.

10-Sep-17
I don't see myself as "irrational", but I have been really happy with my Vortex glass. But then again, I have a limit to how much I am willing to spend on most items. I also shoot Remington 870s. Wow, maybe I am irrational.

10-Sep-17
I'm not debating the ethics or morals of this decision by the OP. That's his business. But, you can bet your last dollar that when post something negative about a product that others have paid so much money for, you better be ready to defend your opinion. Because they sure are going to defend their decision. God Bless men

10-Sep-17
I'm confused....you are unhappy with a company not fixing something for free that YOU caused, not them???!!! You want a company to take it in the shorts for something NOT their fault, but entirely your fault??!!!!!! Maybe sit down and actually think about this for a few minutes?

10-Sep-17
Hard to be disappointed the Swaro warranty. It's among the best in the world for any product. They warrant for virtually any failure that could even remotely be considered their fault. But yeah, if you drop and break it, it's unreasonable to expect them to fix it for free. For comparison, if you crash your truck into a tree, you wouldn't ask the manufacturer to pay for the repairs under warranty. What Swaro (and Leica and Zeiss) will do for you in those cases though, is they repair/rebuild your product at a super cheap cost.

10-Sep-17
"too bad they don't have good glass" LOL

10-Sep-17
I backed over a pair of Steiners with my truck after they fell off the tail gate on to the pavement. They replaced them with a new set within 10 days and I did nt even have to send the damaged ones in. I called and they asked me to send them a picture and I did. They said they could tell they were beyond repair an sent me a new comparable model as mine were 15 years old. I believe that is what the OP thinks their warranty should be and I think it should too. Shawn

10-Sep-17
IMO, the warranty for any product should be what the seller says it is, no more, no less.

10-Sep-17
I fail to see how that is a crappy warranty. Seems to me they are more than standing behind their product if they are only charging $160 for customer induced damages.

10-Sep-17
"This warranty is void if damage results from unauthorized repairs, ACCIDENT, alteration, misuse, ABUSE, NEGLECT, fire, flood or other acts of God." Seems to me like dropping your binos on the floor would fall under the "accident", "abuse", or "neglect" part of the warranty.

Be a man, take your medicine...

10-Sep-17
Ahhh the entitled. Why should you not take some responsibility for breaking your binoculars?

10-Sep-17
When i was in high school about 20 years ago a swarovski rep was in the gun shop I was frequenting. I asked him why their optics we're so expensive. He said some things then proceeded to drop a pair on the floor. He said try that with cheap binoculars! I own quite a few pairs of alpha binoculars. In my opinion when you spend that kind of money they should be able to handle the occasional drop. Fact is nearly all the companies that produce alpha binoculars no longer back their products like they used to.

10-Sep-17
My buddy jacked up his eye cups skull dragging through sand he paid the small bill and basically had a completely rebuilt set of binocs sent back. Everyone has different priorities though. I had the 20-60 razor eye piece on my vortex spotter take a dump. The internal lenses were rattling and sideways when i pulled it from the pack. Luckily I had a backup 33x moa eyepiece that I used and they replaced it free of charge, but they are not the same optical quality of swaros. Its all a tradeoff. Just roll with vortex razor line and its about 95% as good as swaros and you can shoot a hole in them and return them.

10-Sep-17
I equate this to getting into a car accident and being disappointed that the car manufactuer didn't warranty the car! C'mon man...

10-Sep-17
There is a reason Asian built optics often get replaced instead of repaired. When you look at the cost of evaluating the damage, disassembly, repair, customer contact vs just throwing a new set in the mail, its often cheaper to replace. Then add in that parts and the fixtures and people to repair them are often across the ocean, replacement gets even cheaper.

Not knocking Asian optics, they can be a great value and very nice quality.

10-Sep-17
I've had my pair of SL for over 10 years. I've managed to scratch the lens and a good bent in the side. I sent them in and they replaced the lens and one side for around $350. I basically got a new pair for $350!!! I couldn't be happier!!!!

10-Sep-17
I think the issue is smart business practice vs warranty. From a business standpoint is it worth the $160 charge to lose potentially tens of thousands worth of business? If a customer comes forward with TRUTH as far as a issue vs. someone calling and fabricating a story trying to get something for nothing....that is when the business should make considerations....possibly SPLIT the cost if not under warranty.

10-Sep-17
I'm amazed.

10-Sep-17
I've also been disappointed with Swaro's warranty. I've got some problems that cannot be tied to user error. I've experienced garbage eye cups on a pair of my 10x50's. They replaced the faulty cups...at MY EXPENSE! Swaro's havevthe best glass, but definitely not the best service. When Vortex or another company gets their glass dialed in Swaro will either have to fix their customer service or exit the optic business and devote all their energy into wine glasses or chandeliers.

10-Sep-17
Arctichill, I recently wrote to them regarding eye cups and the cover that goes over the lenses on my 10x42 binos. They sent me replacements within a week at no cost. I'm happy with the service.

11-Sep-17
I dropped a pair of EL's from a tree stand 2 years ago called Swaro told them I dropped them and needed them fixed....Cost $30.00 plus shipping.

11-Sep-17
My friend got a set of new eye cups after he lost one.

11-Sep-17
I think people have simply gotten used to them going above and beyond their written warranty and now that is the expectation. I would still only ever count on the written warranty...especially when making a 10,20,30 year decision. people's minds can change, the writing in your pocket can not.

11-Sep-17
You've got to be kidding. You damage your binoculars by knocking them off the table and you expect Swaroski to pay for your mistake?

11-Sep-17
Let's see...you're pissed cuz Swaro won't fix what YOU broke? How dare they!

Honestly, I don't know how some of you guys can look in the mirror. Obviously entitlement is alive and well, while accountability is dead and buried.

11-Sep-17
I knocked my 80mm spotter over on a mountain goat hunt and scratched the objective lens. Swaro replaced all the glass and even the eyepiece for a hundred dollars. Pretty darn good deal if you ask me.

11-Sep-17
Part of the reason products cost what they do is BECAUSE people expect this warranty stuff. Wonder how much cheaper stuff would be if company stopped the 'no questions asked' policy. somebody has to pay for it.

11-Sep-17
REI used to have a "No Questions" asked lifetime warranty on anything bought from their store. To many people took advantage of that warranty...returning shoes with the soles worn off as just an example...so now they have a 1 year policy on warranty returns. Once a company realizes that their warranty is costing more money then they are bringing in from that offered warranty, something is going to change.

11-Sep-17
My son dropped my Nikons off a cliff Nikon gave me a new pair. They were 300 bucks new

11-Sep-17
It does seem that Swaro has been declining a bit on warranty work, I hadn't had to warranty anything until last year, before that I had several friends send in bino's for minor repairs and end up with essentially new pairs, no charge. When my EL's went in because the diopter adjustment quit working, I asked them to refurbish the lenses and anything else that was worn (I use these a lot, both strap brackets were almost worn through, lenses had some small scratches, etc...) and said I was happy to pay for anything warranty didn't cover. they did turn them around in a week but the only repair was the diopter, they didn't even really clean the lenses, the whole thing was just wiped kind of clean, there was still a bit of dirt when I unscrewed the eyecup, it didn't look like it had even been removed... not sure if it was my bad for not individually listing every small detail or if they were just in a rush to get through a backlog but I wasn't impressed.

11-Sep-17
Manuf. defect= warranty coverage. Negligence =all you.

11-Sep-17
I think everyone is being a little hard on the OP. The reputation Swarovski has come to gain is because they've gone over and above on warranty. That's the reputation. SHould one expect it? not sure, but it is the reputation. When you get service that differs from the repuation, I could see a knee-jerk reaction being unhappy.

11-Sep-17
I'd still take swaro and their "crappy" warranty than any mid level glass

11-Sep-17
A strap anchor should not break on a waist height fall. Especially in a $2000 pair of binoculars. It also shouldn't cost $160 to fix it. The repair center shouldn't be a profit center if you want to keep customers.

11-Sep-17
APauls x2. i hate entitlement as much as the next guy, but i don't think that is what is happening here. when i was researching before i bought mine, all these stories made it sound like you'd have to fight them to get a bill for a repair - one story after another of no questions asked, no bill(or extremely small bill). just look at some of the warranty stories in this thread compared to the OP's - some inconsistencies. That warranty justify the costs for many and sets an expectation that i certainly wouldn't have had for the warranty if i just went and read it or just because i paid a certain amount - the expectations comes from everything I heard on here - so i was like, i guess thats how they do it, that's great. turns out it's a very slightly differnt then that but i would say still excellent. When you find out the anecdotal information you have received or maybe even experienced has some amount of inconsistencies that are a bit difficult to understand, i think some amount of initial disappointment is reasonable. all that said, still a great warranty and I would follow Genesis's advice.

11-Sep-17
jrstegner,

Those break because the metal on metal wears them thin (rings in the strap holder) so when they fall its a simple break.

To fix that piece, you have to replace the whole body on that side, its not just a clip on piece. It will involve a whole new armor coating, complete disassembly etc. All the OP is getting billed for is the parts..

When you guy glass in asia for a 100.00 and sell it for 1300, then you can afford to give everyone who does something stupid free stuff.

Simple facts about vortex. 99% of the product is simply rebranded asian OEM glass from komachura and others. There is typically 50 points on it in store. 18% of their total budget goes for marketing. toss is warranty costs and they're still making a profit. Whats the value of the product your actually buying?? BTW, there glass is average at best.

11-Sep-17
There sure are a lot of people on this thread claiming Swarovski isn't doing a good job.

Versus what? All my Swarovski optics are absolutely excellent, as in, THE BEST. If I broke them, I'd never expect them to repair them for free. That's pretty crazy.

Anyone that thinks Vortex is their equal hasn't looked through both brands in a hunting situation. It's ridiculously obvious just how much better the glass and field of view are. I'd say Leupold makes far better optics than Vortex does, based on FOV and clarity of the rifle scopes.

Whatever. It's not worth arguing about. Good luck with the glass of your choice!

11-Sep-17
I don't know what Swarovski's warranty states but if they claim they will fix anything regardless of how it happened then they should do just that. Most products only cover defects in the product itself, not damage covered by external forces (like running over your binos with your truck).

11-Sep-17
Man if I owned something worth 1500-2000$...damaged it through my own negligence and it cost under $200 to make it new again?! Sign me up! Especially something as nice as Swaros...they're worth their weight in gold. My puppy chewed the diopter on my 8x32s last summer. I'll send em back eventually and I'll gladly pay because I should

11-Sep-17
SWAROVSKI LIMITED LIFETIME WARRENTY Thank you for purchasing this instrument and welcome to the world of SWAROVSKI OPTIK. Since our founding in 1949, the SWAROVSKI OPTIK community has been committed to providing an ownership experience, which includes our legendary service that is second to none. We sincerely believe that our optics are the best in the world and put them through rigorous tests to ensure that the name you trust is built to the highest standards. But in the unlikely event that you discover a problem in defects in workmanship or materials, we’ll gladly examine the instrument. SWAROVSKI OPTIK offers a lifetime warranty on the optical system of our products for products purchased by US and Canadian residents from an authorized SWAROVSKI OPTIK North American dealer. Once examined, if it is determined that the optical system is defective we will repair or replace the instrument or defective part. SWAROVSKI OPTIK warrants all other parts of the instrument for ten years from date of purchase against defects in materials or workmanship, subject to normal use. All electronic components are warranted for two years against defects in materials and workmanship, subject to normal use, from date of purchase. All non-optical products (i.e. accessories, tripods etc.) are warranted for two years from date of purchase. This warranty is void if damage results from unauthorized repairs, accident, alteration, misuse, abuse, neglect, fire, flood or other acts of God. If after the warranty period your instrument needs servicing please call customer service at (800) 4263089. At SWAROVSKI OPTIK, we are totally committed to our customer, products and service. Once you have had the pleasure of owning and using our products, we are sure they will become your trusted companions for life. “Any SWAROVSKI OPTIK product that is purchased in North America that is not imported by SWAROVSKI OPTIK North America and not sold to a consumer by an Authorized U.S. or Canadian SWAROVSKI OPTIK North America Dealer has no Authorized Warranty.” In the event of a defect, please call customer assistance at (800) 426-3089 to obtain a Service Order Number (SO), which will be used to identify your warranty request through its completion. When you call, our customer service representative will give you instructions as to where to send or take the product for service. Whenever you send or take your product to us, please enclose your name, shipping address, daytime phone number, a brief description of the problem, and a copy of the receipt from an authorized U.S. or Canadian SWAROVSKI OPTIK North America dealer. Please write the Service Order Number on the enclosure and on the outside of any packaging. We will determine, at our option, whether to repair or replace the instrument. If the instrument is not covered under the warranty, we will contact you with an estimate of the repair price. Any correspondence should be sent to: SWAROVSKI OPTIK N.A. Ltd. • 2 Slater Road • Cranston, RI 02920 / [email protected] Please do not send us your instrument until we have issued a Service Order Number and instructed you to do so. If you are instructed to return the instrument to us, you are responsible for properly packaging your instrument. You are responsible for insuring the package and assume the risk of loss in transit to us, unless we arrange for transport.

This is a limited warranty, and you may have other rights which vary from state to state. The obligation of the warrantor is solely to repair or replace the product. Neither SWAROVSKI OPTIK nor any of its affiliates are liable for any incidental or consequential damage due to such defect.

11-Sep-17
"This warranty is void if damage results from unauthorized repairs, accident, alteration, misuse, abuse, neglect, fire, flood or other acts of God."

Would someone please give the definition of "accident". Evidently many don't understand this word. If people would own up to their own responsibility, instead of expecting a company to absorb the cost of repairing/replacing an item due to the purchaser's negligence, maybe the rest of us wouldn't have to pay $2500-3000 for a freakin' pair of binoculars. JMHO.

11-Sep-17
Vortex may not be equal to Swarovski, but the Swarovski warrenty is no longer 2nd to none. Vortex offers a true lifetime no fault warranty. If they can't fix it, they replace it. Regardless of the cause.

11-Sep-17
vortex rarely fixes anything since it is cheaper just to send a new one as was shown a few threads up. I will gladly pay 100 every 10 years to get a brand new 80mm swaro spotter.

11-Sep-17
Matt copied and pasted their warranty no where does it say unconditional lifetime warranty? (From the Swarovski warranty: "This warranty is void if damage results from unauthorized repairs, accident, alteration, misuse, abuse, neglect, fire, flood or other acts of God." )

I know they are expensive but you created the accident? Its not normal wear and tear as their warranty does not list that as a warranty item.

Who told you that there is an unconditional warranty? A friend? The person who sold them?

You broke them they did not just come apart!

This post reminds me of a roofing customer I had called and said I installed defective shingles on his roof 7 years ago? I asked him what was the issue he replied they are just falling apart? I go to his house 50 minute one way and there is a pine tree that we had cut limbs back on when we installed it over 4 foot from the home that had grown and was hitting his shingles again. he was furious that Owens Corning nor I would replace his shingles when it states that shingles must be kept free of being touched by tree limbs.

Let me ask you this? If you dry fire your bow or drop your bow? Should that manufacturer replace your bow for free when their warranty says, "This warranty is void if damage results from unauthorized repairs, accident, alteration, misuse, abuse, neglect, fire, flood or other acts of God." ?

Its 100% your fault so pull up your boot straps and take responsibility for (your actions) not faulty craftsmanship.

11-Sep-17
Thats why i have Bruntons. No questions asked. Complete replacement from any where on the earth( so they claim). Very happy with them.

11-Sep-17
160$ is super reasonable for replacement of binos you ruined IMO

11-Sep-17
"A strap anchor should not break on a waist height fall. Especially in a $2000 pair of binoculars. It also shouldn't cost $160 to fix it. The repair center shouldn't be a profit center if you want to keep customers."

As previously stated, when strap anchors fail they usually break because they get worn and become weak from using connector rings made of a harder metal. Operator error.

To be fair to Swarovski, the $160 will typically get you fully refurbished, like new binoculars - lenses, armor, eye cups - not just a repaired strap anchor. I don't pretend to know Swarovski's cost structure, but suggesting the repair center is a profit center is likely WAY off base.

12-Sep-17
like a guy with a fish name handle above

Vortex does have a great warranty. It's too bad they don't have good glass. The reason people buy things is sometimes irrational. In this case, a warranty can "close the gap" for some consumers.

Not me.

I want that silver eagle on my optics. I'm willing to pay for it if I break it, and would expect that to cost money.

I have two pairs large size 8X and small tree stand 10X. Worth every penny!!

12-Sep-17
I was charged $ 100 on my last work and I'M still to this day are not sure they didn't just send me a new set of ELs.... Sold them a few years later after 10 years of use for $100 less than I paid for them.VALUE is what Swarovski glass a no brainer.

12-Sep-17
Swaro has one of the best customer service out there in my opinion. You dropped them and your eeaentially getting a brand new pair of binos for $160! What a deal!

A lot of Nino companies out there, but non compare to swaro in my opinion.

12-Sep-17
Swaro has one of the best customer service out there in my opinion. You dropped them and your eeaentially getting a brand new pair of binos for $160! What a deal!

A lot of bino companies out there, but non compare to swaro in my opinion.

12-Sep-17
Zeiss has the best service.

12-Sep-17
I've been treated more than fair by Swarovski's warranty program. I thought about not commenting, but it seems like alot of you guys seem to think that just cause you buy a product that backs their workmanship it also should cover your clumsiness. Swaroski is the best on the market, own up to your mistake and quit trying to get a free handout that everyone seems to always think they are entitled too.

12-Sep-17
On a side note, I do have a pair of Swaro 10x42 EL's in mint condition with swarovski strap and covers for sale....shoot me a PM

12-Sep-17
I'll bid $160...

12-Sep-17
You guys are so cheap. Probably the same guys that expect them to fix something for nothing. You should be embarrassed. I'll give you 700 for those crappy binoculars that will soon start to fall apart.

12-Sep-17
If you have ELs you are not going to have any future bino needs to take elsewhere. You are set for life

12-Sep-17
I get the OP's point and I don't think it's entitlement mentality. I think he's been unfairly bashed quite a bit. I understand that $160 is not much compared to the cost of binoculars and that the warranty expressly does not cover "accidents". My thinking is the other side of the coin, why would a company risk losing a customer who has already made what many would consider an extravagant purchase over $160? From what others have said, there has been some variance in warranty issuess. I'm sure most cases are handled individually and I'm not saying that swarovski should adopt an "anything goes" mentality. I'm sure we have all experienced customer service that went above and beyond the warranty; those experiences that exceed expectations make customers for life. Just my 2 cents

12-Sep-17
" why would a company risk losing a customer who has already made what many would consider an extravagant purchase over $160?"

Because someone posting on the World wide web that Swarovski will refurbish ANY set of binoculars to "new" no matter what,would cost them so much more. Once you start repairing "accidents" free of charge then it won't be long before purposeful acts to get new binos will follow.

12-Sep-17
I'm probably naive, and I know some rich cheapskates, but I don't think the average person who can afford to spend 2-3k for binoculars are the type of people out there looking to scam someone.

13-Sep-17
Its too late to get cheap now..... you are a bow hunter participating in what can be described by some as a rich mans sport. Pay the $140 and go hunt.

Swarovski is a great company. I have owned the same pair of binocs since 1991 and have had then reconditioned several times to fix normal wear and tear at little or no cost. A couple of the times I would have gladly paid a much higher price for the work done. Any binocular company such as Swarovski, Leica, Vortex etc all have to manage cost. A properly managed company operating with a loose, open ended warranty program may eventually see profits suffer and be forced to either tighten the T&Cs of the warranty or charge more for the product. Its that simple. The way I see it is that Vortex, operating with a loose warranty program, clearly is covering warranty costs with a higher sales price for a comparatively inferior product to Swarovski. Doesn't make them a better company, its their business model and it serves them well.

13-Sep-17
For all you that commented on me to suck it up or something like that.....I did! I said it was totally my fault from the beginning. I commented that Swarovski has a great product. I also commented that I was disappointed with their warranty......that's all. Nothing more. Have you NEVER been disappointed with anything? Maybe your Wife?..one of your children?....but you still LOVE them. Same thing with my binoculars. But I now know they do not have the best warranty in the business and there are companies out there that will cover 100% for a guy like me that knocked his binoculars off a table.

Hope everyone has a great day no matter waht binoculars you own.

13-Sep-17
Some of you guys are unbelievable. The point is when you spend that kind of money for an item and the company tells everybody about how great there product and warranty is then they should fix them for free. It's not the $160 it's the customer service. Now a days customer service means everything. That's why I only deal with company's that back there products and have great customer service. JMO

13-Sep-17
If a customer breaks something through their own negligence a company shouldn't have to repair them as part of standing behind their product. Their warranty is part clear on that.

If you want a no fault warranty, buy from a manufacturer that offers that but realize you are paying for the warranty not good quality binos.

If you don't believe people will take advantage of a company after spending $2-3k, you are naive. I have seen it over and over. Scheels used to have a no questions asked policy that was phenomenal. Then people started abusing it in ways you can't imagine. They were forced to give it up.

13-Sep-17
I had a metal ring for bino harness connected to the side bracket on my EL's. It wore out the bracket until it broke. I sent it in and they said it would cost $160 but they would put a more beefed up bracket on and give me these nylon straps so I didn't have to clip the rings on it anymore. I paid the $160 and when I got them back, there was 3 pages of things they replaced. My binos looked brand new. When they first told me I would have to pay $160, I was bummed but knew it was my fault so I paid it. When I got them back brand new looking I was happy I paid the money. Just pay it and forget about it. You'll be all happy with the job they do. Or you can sell them "as is" and let someone send them in and pay for repairs. In fact PM me a price since you're taking your business elsewhere. I may want to buy them.

13-Sep-17
I've had two "accidents" with my Zeiss products through the years. Dropped my binos off a cliff sheep hunting in Alaska. Repaired, no questions asked. Dropped my spotting scope in Glacier National Park. Knocked some lenses loose. Same thing. Repaired, no questions asked. If I ever have to replace either I'll go back to Zeiss.

13-Sep-17
Just my 2c. After 25 years in the hunting business I can say that without a doubt Swarovski makes the finest binos in the world with Leica a close second. Less expensive options are Minox and Kahles. I would happily pay the $160 if I dropped and damaged the binos. You'll basically get back a new pair of Swarovskis.

13-Sep-17
"Vortex does have a great warranty. It's too bad they don't have good glass."

Vortex doesn't have "good" glass? I'm sorry, I know this isn't on topic, but this line of reasoning is just getting plain stupid. Just because something is made in Asia does not mean it's "bad". You might as well get rid of all your hunting clothes, a large portion of your gear, and most of the parts to your vehicle, cause they're not good either...

13-Sep-17
Surf, it has nothing to do with where they are made. Vortex are a big step below Swaro/Leica/Zeiss in image quality. All you have to do is compare in the field. If that was not true they would be charging MORE for the Vortex...they charge as much as the can GET;they are not doing you the consumer a favor and minimizing their profit!

The no questions asked warranty is a gimmick. I'd MUCH rather have high quality I can trust hunting all over the world with my Swaro/Leica/Zeiss (and yes I own some of each brand) than a cheap broke optic in the middle of nowhere with a "great" warranty.

13-Sep-17
Actually, I have a pair of Vortex Viper HD binos in 8x30, a pair of Kahles 10x42, and once owned, before a theft, a pair of Swarovski 8x30 binos. And to me, the Vortex is damn good, not quite as good as the Kahles but close, at half the price. And they are far from the most expensive Vortex glass. My hunting partner has the Vortex 10x42, also a great glass.

On Swarovski, if you send it in for repairs, they tend to upgrade the product to the newest changes. It's a darn nice benefit.

I have compared them in the field. And you can look through them all day, with good definition.

13-Sep-17
Vortex is not alpha glass, but is a very good value, it is essentially the same optical quality as Zen-Ray, and Promaster, but with better customer service and a higher price tag. If you buy the Asian glass you are going to need the premium warranty, excepting the Japanese Nikon's. However there are some great warranties in premium bins. Zeiss 5 year no fault/limited lifetime. Nikon EDG 25 year no fault warranty.

13-Sep-17
When you pay what you do for their product there should be a no questions asked warranty. They are awfully proud of their product until it comes time to back it.

14-Sep-17
RutnStrut...AGAIN...If you drive your vehicle off a cliff, should the auto warranty pay for it? (cars are expensive) If you knock your laptop off the desk, will the computer company pay for it? (for what they are, laptops ARE expensive) If you drop your IPhone and break the screen, should Apple pay for it? (iphones are expensive) Why should ANYTHING have a "no questions asked warranty"? That's just a license to abuse. Swaro will "back their product", but not through your own negligence. Pretty simple and seems like a reasonable warranty to me...But then again, I'm not big on "entitlement". Lucky for you there's Vortex.

14-Sep-17
Pretty easy - don't like the warranty, don't buy the product.

I have owned 7 Swaro products and will continue to buy them into the future based in the excellent service I have received.

14-Sep-17
I've got two pair of Swaro EL binos and a spotter. None have required service but get use a bunch each year....the oldest is 15 yrs, then 7, then 4 yrs old. I take care of my optics and I'll continue to buy Swaros. Also have three pair of Leicas, one a Geovid plus one of their Rangefinders.....no trouble with them either, despite their less stellar warranty reputation......they haven't needed service either.

14-Sep-17
X 1000000 Matt

When buying a product if warranty is a huge issue for you then you should actually read the warranty and not listen to people before purchasing.

14-Sep-17
I'll go with companies that want to back their customers. There are great optics companies with no questions asked warranties.

15-Sep-17
My dad bought a pair of swaro els from a guy. They were beat up and scratched lens to all hell. He sent them in to swaro and they "replaced the lens"

When it got the binos back they were a brand new bino. Either that or they replaced every single thing on the bino!

That's some good customer service if you ask me

15-Sep-17
"There are great optics companies with no questions asked warranties."

There are companies that make great optics and there are optics companies with no questions asked warranties. I am not aware of any that have both.

15-Sep-17
Zeiss and Nikon make great optics and have no-fault warranties on their top-end bins.

15-Sep-17
the point on both sides is moot.........we pay for the warranty, it is not free..........it is a budgeted business expense that it built into the retail price to generate the targeted margin the brand is requiring.

the better warranty the more we pay, in the product price. you just don't get a repair bill invoice for it, it comes in your sales receipt.

15-Sep-17
Jrstegner I would say Zeis makes great optics and Nikon makes very good optics!

To me (great) is determined by the few who holds the benchmark in their industry!

15-Sep-17
The Nikon EDG are as good as anything made. Nikon hasn't been making top end glass as long as the big three German companies; and don't get the same consideration from most buyers looking to spend $2,500, but they should. They aren't even made in the same factory as the Monarch line.

15-Sep-17
I'll not comment much on the OP except to say that I think that he has confused lesser companies' "no questions asked we don't care how it broke" warranty with Swarovski's. They have never had that kind of warranty. So don't expect something that was never a part of the deal. That said, they have been darn good at standing behind their products.

It always amazes me how much guys see these "no questions asked" warranties as such a selling point. Here's my thinking: a great warranty does me zip, zero, nada good if my equipment fails in the field. Or my equipment does not perform up to my standards as far as quality goes. A broken or blurry glass on the mountain is just a useless hunk of crap to tote back home. I don't care what the "warranty" is.

Swaro optics are among the best. Maybe the best. They flat out perform. That's what I want. That's what I need. Everything else is secondary - very secondary.

The best "warranty" is having great optics that perform as you need them to when you need them to.

15-Sep-17
Most of these "no questions asked" warranties are simply sales gimmicks by lesser companies attempting to garner market share. They can't compete product wise with Swarovski.

15-Sep-17
Swaro isn't re-branded komachura glass from south east asia like Vortex, Bushnell, nikon, leupold etc. It's made in Austria by craftsman, not in the Phillipines by child labor.

There is a ton of mark up in that model, a lot of the vortex runs 50 points at MAP, The Alphas maybe 20 points at MAP. What is the actual value of the product you are buying, when there is 30-50 points at retail, the company spends 18% of its budget on marketing, and gives everyone a free set when they break them at the customers fault? Enjoy your great deal on a second rate product with a good warranty.

How many guys do you know that still hunt with 20 year old Leupold, bushnell, etc. I'm guessing very few, I have 5 guys in camp that have 15+ year old Alpha glass.

15-Sep-17
The OP started a new thread on the warranty issue...... I think Swaro came through above and beyond expectations....

15-Sep-17
I can't believe $705 is my best bid! Lol. Guess I'll have to sell them on the new classifieds when they come up

15-Sep-17
there is no doubt Swaro has good glass, maybe the best?? BUT there is glass out there that is reasonably comparable and as has been stated Vortex has a no questions asked fully transferable warranty full replacement regardless of how the Bino's failed,, and it is good glass, great glass,, my only complaint is you don't have to turn the adjustable knob very much to get a lot of adjustment.

15-Sep-17
"Zeiss and Nikon make great optics and have no-fault warranties on their top-end bins."

Carl Zeiss warranty:

This Warranty... does not cover damages due to the misuse, neglect, accidental damage, mishandling or alteration of the Product.

https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_us/nature/service---support/customer-service.html#zeiss-warranty

Is this the Zeiss of which you speak?

16-Sep-17
That explains the limited lifetime warranty. Click on the no-fault policy tab below. It covers the Victory SF, Victory HT and Conquest HD for 5 years.

16-Sep-17
Matt, I just bought a pair of Zeiss glass a couple years ago. Unless they changed their policy since that purchase, they do indeed have a no-fault warranty. However, it is a finite 5-year policy and not an unlimited lifetime warranty. Also, it isn't a "completely" no-fualt warranty because damage is to occur during intended use for the policy to be valid. There is definitely some grey area. If you leave them on your tailgate when you return from hunting, then they fall and you run them over... maybe a grey area. If you drop the glass off a cliff while glassing for sheep, you should definitely be covered... just go recover your busted glass. The lifetime warranty is limited and covers your typical craftsmanship and material defects.

Glad the OP had good luck with Swaro. His reaction may have been a little knee-jerk, but I think he got a little more flack than he really deserves. Swaro doesn't have the BEST warranty in the business, but they may have the best glass. Still, it appears they provide good service with a good warranty. In the end, the consumer has the ability to choose what is most important to them.

16-Sep-17
Wow. Some comments bordering on personal attacks of folks who choose to use brands other than the gold standard. Interesting reactions, and really pretty disturbing. Geez - we're talking the choice of binoculars, not ethical issues. Obviously a "second rate" company must make a pretty decent product or they would be out of business. But what do I know. Over and out on this one.

16-Sep-17
It's just a matter of time until Vortex is just that, out of business.

Plain and simple. You can't just keep giving people free binoculars. If you do, they'll keep breaking them, and god help you...... ordering more sets and breaking those too.

Where is the incentive to care at all about something that gets replaced for free? It doesn't exist!!!

Hell, a guy doesn't even need to clean them. Just toss them into the campfire at the end of the season.

16-Sep-17
Swar has been great and more than fair over the years. I had a set fall out of the truck in an Illinois corn field several years ago and run over by the truck. When I went back all I could see was part of a muddy strap. Pulled at it until a set of binos exploded from the earth. Pressure washed them and used them the rest of season. Broken eye pieces and scuffed lens along with other issues. Sent them back and they came back looking like they were out of the box. Cost around $100. More than fair. The damage was my fault. They still attributed a large portion to ware. They were more than fair. I wii alwaybbe a Swarovski user. Great product and a long time dependable company.

18-Jan-19
Heads up. I tore an objective cover off my Els. Today I sent an email and had response in about two hours. Later this afternoon day I am told I have a new in the mail. and should be there on Monday. Great CS from Swaro.

25-Jan-19
Nothing but great service from Swarovski,in the last 15 years.I guide for a living,and have sent El's and slc's back for no charge.

26-Jan-19
I had the exact same thing a Trial above happen to my ELs in September with the exact same result. I asked for a replacement and they sent two. Other than them driving up from RI and putting them on for me I could not have asked for more or better service.

26-Jan-19
After over 15 years, my 10’s were getting kind of rough looking and was having issues getting them to focus.

Sent them in last year and they realigned the prisms and cleaned them up. Was shocking how fast they got them back them. Came back looking like a brand new pair! No charge!

Sent my very well used (abused) 15’s in at the same time. They were in very rough shape after years of hard use. They called me and told me that they could replace the two lenses that were scratched for like $200. I asked what it would take to replace all 4. A bargain at $300! I got them back and they had gone through all the working parts, adjusted the prisms, focus mechanism, and repainted the anti reflective surfaces. Hell, I got a brand new pair of 15’s for $300!

26-Jan-19
I had a 20 year old pair of Minox binocs. The eye cups where trashed. Joint was loose, etc. Basically they had been drug around on pronghorn hunts, elk hunts, whitetail hunts. Glass was still good and just wanted them fixed up and expected a fee to do the work. I filled out their simple form and included original purchase receipt- I registered them when I purchased them . Four weeks later a package arrived. I opened it to find a brand new pair of Minox BL 10x44 HD Binoculars. I quick look on line shows they run over 600 dollars. I never expected a new pair. The simple note in the package thanked me for being a Minox customer!

26-Jan-19
Cool! Minox makes decent glass as well. Pretty sure you will buy them again! Great advertising on their part as well!

26-Jan-19
My binoculars had the same piece break. Mine broke because I used a little metal key ring looking thing to hold my straps on. Eventually it wore through. I sent them in and they told me it would be $160. I was very bummed at the time but paid it because it wouldn’t have happened if I didn’t use the metal key ring.

When I got them back, they looked brand new. Everything beside the glass was new. I was very happy afterwards. I still consider my Swarovski the best purchase I have ever made.

27-Jan-19
All this talk of how great the Swaro glass is...I wonder if they make contact lenses for eyes? ;-)

27-Jan-19
I'm still trying to figure out how "Warranty" means covering you breaking something. Maybe you have it confused with "Insurance"?

28-Jan-19
I sent in a pair for replacement of one of the eye cups that had been lost. I fully expected to pay for a new one, they were returned with a new eye cup with a note that said there was no charge. I believe that was pretty good service, considering that, in my opinion, it took place only because the cup came unscrewed and was lost.

29-Jan-19
Little off topic but why don't you guys use a plastic cable zip tie to connect you strap to the mounting clip? Been doing it for YEARS and never had a zip tie break yet and the zip tie won't wear out the clip like a split ring will. Just use a legit commercial grade zip tie made by Panduit or similar company and not a dollar store knock off.

11-Feb-19
I just sent my SLC 10x42's in a few weeks ago. my focus wheel was turning hard and my eye cups were sticking. They called me today to tell the that stuff was warrantied and also suggested replacing my objective lenses as they were scratched and not warrantied due to wear and tear. I knew they were scratched from taking in an out of my bino harness, etc. but forgot to mention that to them. I ok'd that because I thought, well hell new lenses for $200 .. why not. So we'll see how they look when I get them back, by all other accounts, they should be practically brand new.

11-Feb-19
No problem with Swaro CS here . Friend of mine sent a spotter into Vortex a few months ago for repairs and they sent him a brand new big Razor spotter. He called and told them it wasn’t the old spotter he sent in for repair and was told Vortex doesn’t make that spotter anymore enjoy your new Razor... Nothing to do with Swaro just thought I’d pass it on.

11-Feb-19
Holy crap, get some shoe string and a little hockey tape and call it a day bud. What’s the big deal?

• Sitka Gear