Ucsdryder 21-Sep-17
HDE 21-Sep-17
midwest 22-Sep-17
drycreek 22-Sep-17
Surfbow 22-Sep-17
buzz mc 24-Sep-17
Bowriter 24-Sep-17
19-Sep-17
Had an elk butchered and was surprised to find there were no sirloins. Last year I got a ton of sirloin and cooked them like the loin/backstraps and they were outstanding. I called the butcher and they said that u less requested all the round and sirloin were cut/labeled as "round steak". Does this sound right? Does the sirloin come off the hind quarter? I thought it came off the back of the back straps?

19-Sep-17
Uh, no, the sirloin is not part of the back strap. Miscommunication problems are the usual cause of these issues, and this sounds no different.

19-Sep-17
Oh for sure it was confusion and I'm not blaming the butcher. The previous 2 elk they did included sirloins so that's what caused the confusion because I just ASSumed this one would include sirloins too. I already called and spoke with them but wanted to clear up the confusion...which is obviously on my side...like where the hell do the different cuts come from!

19-Sep-17
Sirloin is cut from the big muscle on the front of each back leg.

19-Sep-17
Sirloin comes from the pelvis on the hind quarter above the ball and socket. Sirloin Tip comes from the front part of the hind quarter, also called the "quad" muscle above the knee cap.

20-Sep-17
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fc/b4/fd/fcb4fdbf60c302e33956e54d013741d0.jpg

Pretty rudimentary chart but it gives you the basics

20-Sep-17
HDE is correct.

20-Sep-17

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo

20-Sep-17
yes just miscommunication..you probby have a few more packs labeled round steaks

20-Sep-17
I have packs of round steak coming out my ears...

20-Sep-17
I think meat processors skim off meat in some cases - I had that happen multiple times in Colorado years ago.

I don't trust anyone with my meat anymore

20-Sep-17
On an animal 1.5 years old or younger, sirloins make a great fried steak; just don't over cook. Otherwise, they go to roasts for me. All these diagrams show the shanks getting ground and that's unfortunately how I wasted my shanks on many animals until TBM/midwest opened my eyes. Seared and slow-cooked in broth/bullion with fresh herbs and a splash of wine, I now prefer a meal of shank-on-the-bone over any other part of the animal.

21-Sep-17
^^^^This is what I was going to say! Don't grind the shanks, they are awesome, I'd take braised shanks over tenderloin any day of the week...

21-Sep-17
Are you guys cooking the shank boneless? Recipe?

21-Sep-17
"I think meat processors skim off meat in some cases"

Shouldn't it be "I think SOME meat processors..."? Be like saying I think mechanics siphon gas in some cases...

22-Sep-17
Ike, I don't know if I can ever forgive you for slashing my name behind TBM. 8-(

Ucsdryder, most definitely bone in. Do a Google search for deer/elk braised shank recipes. Lots of good ones out there from simple to complex.

22-Sep-17
And 10,000 lb. of ground elk comes from a dumbass kid who couldn't care less about how you told him to butcher yours.

Ask me how I know !

22-Sep-17
Ucsdryder, do a search on osso bucco. Steve Rinella has a pretty good recipe in his book and probably online.

24-Sep-17
"Are you guys cooking the shank boneless? Recipe?" Ucsdryder

I prefer bone-in, but due to cwd laws, I do some boneless. They are still far better than grinding them.

I blend a can of chipotles and rub them down in it. Marinate 8 hours or more. Sear in a smoking hot pan until the smoke detectors go off ( the chipotles create an extra burn that's good). Add a can of tomatoes, a beer, thyme, salt, onions, anything else that sounds good. Braise until it the connective tissue turns to jelly.

24-Sep-17
HDE-Nailed it. In many cases, with wild game, unless you specify you want sirloin, it is lumped in with other cuts. It is somewhat unusual to get a tender sirloin in terms of comparing it to backstrap or tenderloin. By usage, they are just a tougher muscle and this is true in high-dollar beef cattle, as well. Sometimes,it is important to understand, many cuts of meat have varied and different names, depending on locale.

• Sitka Gear