Paul@thefort 17-Dec-17
MathewsMan 18-Dec-17
Mad Trapper 18-Dec-17
HUNT MAN 18-Dec-17
huntinelk 08-Jun-18
huntinelk 08-Jun-18
OFFHNTN 08-Jun-18
20-Sep-17
I'm returning from an incredible caribou hunt with Webbers at their Baralzon lake camp in Nunavut. I decided to make the 2000 mile drive from PA to Thompson, Manitoba. I'm now heading home with 2 racks, capes, and some meat in the back of my truck.

All 8 hunters tagged out on 2 bulls. I was the only bowhunter in camp , I killed on the second and fifth days. Guessing that I saw over 750 caribou total. The last 2 days, I saw well over 50 bulls each day. My shots were 74 and 25 yards.

Russ and his crew run a top notch camp and everything went very smooth.

20-Sep-17

huntinelk's embedded Photo
First bull

20-Sep-17

21-Sep-17

Couple different angles of #1

21-Sep-17
excellent, congrats !

21-Sep-17

Second bull

21-Sep-17

21-Sep-17
Outstanding bulls, great job Gene, congratulations!

21-Sep-17
I was a little slack with my picture taking, but have a few that are worth sharing, that I will post.

21-Sep-17

21-Sep-17

Daniel, my guide had to have an emergency extraction from camp, because of a purferated ulcer. He was flown to Thompson for surgery.

21-Sep-17

These guys walked by while I was admiring my second bull.

21-Sep-17

21-Sep-17

Sunrise

21-Sep-17
Great pics, so sorry to hear that about Daniel. Not the place you want to have something like that happen. Hope he is ok.

21-Sep-17
Just happened to be a retired GI surgeon in camp that diagnosed him. Daniel put in one very rough night, but was operated on by the next night.

21-Sep-17

A not so great picture of the northern lights

21-Sep-17
Beautiful bou! Congratulations! Thinking about booking this hunt in the near future. Would be interested in hearing more details of the adventure and how things worked logistically once to the main camp if no bou close...?

21-Sep-17
Russ could give you the exact details, but its my understanding that the decision on where to hunt will be made on change over day. The no hunting on the day you fly would make it very hard to do a mid hunt location change, I would think.

21-Sep-17
Need more details on your hunt! Congratulations on two great bulls as well.

Caribou hunting is an absolute blast!

21-Sep-17
Congrats Gene!! I want to make it back up there now. And I will also drive it. lol

21-Sep-17
Congrats Gene! Man, 74y is a POKE! ;-)

And the Good Lord was certainly looking out for your guide! What are the odds a surgeon would be in camp to diagnose him???!!!

21-Sep-17
Awesome trip! Congratulations.

21-Sep-17
Congratulations and thanks for posting. Two great bulls! Great photos. How long did that drive take?

21-Sep-17
Congrats - those are a couple of real beauty bulls!!!!

21-Sep-17
Ned,

Not sure if it is normal for caribou camp, but I took part in a conversation that involved you and your choice of undergarments....

Rut,

Not only a surgeon, but one who specialized the exact problem that Daniel had.

About 30 hours of driving each way.

21-Sep-17
Great couple of bou! CONGRATS!

21-Sep-17
Congrats on your bulls !

21-Sep-17
Great bulls!

21-Sep-17
Congrats Gene!

21-Sep-17
What does a hunt like this cost?

21-Sep-17
Kelly,

Check out Webbers website, they list cost along with what is and isn't included with the hunts they offer.

21-Sep-17
wow. That looks fantastic. Congrats on great bulls!

22-Sep-17

I installed this inverter in the bed of my pickup just before I left on the trip, I took a 7.1 freezer with me. This set up worked perfect coming home, I had plenty of freezer space for meat and capes and didn't have to worry about finding dry ice. I need to get some protective boots to cover the terminals to finish the installation.

22-Sep-17
Gene- how much meat did you bring home? I just noticed on their website Hunter's are only allowed to take back straps and tenderloins- the rest goes to "the northern communities in need"

22-Sep-17
I brought more home than what you could have checked in a single bag if flying. I am happy with the amount of meat that I brought. The meat that is left behind goes to the village where the guides are from. After seeing how careful they are and the fact that they take every piece that could possibly be eaten and even a few pieces that I doubt I could eat....I have no problem with leaving some of the meat behind.

22-Sep-17
Very nice caribou!! Glad they came thru this year!

22-Sep-17
Well, I guess that's not bad then. I understand giving some of the meat to the locals, but if I spent $10,000+ I sure would want to bring home more than a couple back straps and tenderloins!

22-Sep-17

MSchoenfelder's embedded Photo
Mark's 1st Caribou 40 yds
Mark's 1st Caribou 40 yds
Jonah's 2nd caribou
Jonah's 2nd caribou
Hope Daniel is ok. He was a hard worker and wanted to please. We had a good hunt with him and got 2 caribou w rifle and 2 with bow during the last week of September.

22-Sep-17

Jonah's 1st Caribou, 300 yds. Daniel was guide
Jonah's 1st Caribou, 300 yds. Daniel was guide

22-Sep-17
Looks like you had an outstanding camp - congratulations..........

23-Sep-17
Rut Nut - The funny thing is about the meat is that different people have different expectations. When I was there the first week there were 2 hunters that didn't bring home the meat or antlers. (I'm talking they took 2 caribou each.) Seems odd to me, but hey that is their prerogative. I am having my antlers and cape shipped to me. Caribou meat is good, but not in the class of of elk or moose, just my opinion. So I chose to leave the meat donated. I got to eat some caribou while I was there, and it's good meat. But not as good as some other animals (moose, elk, axis deer). I would classify it closer to whitetail venison. Good to eat but to me not worth the trouble to bring home when you consider the cost versus just donating it to those who will put it to use.

23-Sep-17
Great pics Mark. Hopefully Daniel is ok. I am definitely going to be pinging Russ to find out.

24-Sep-17

Teeth from my second bull. Do caribou wear teeth down fairly quick or would this be an older age animal?

24-Sep-17

16-Dec-17
I made a trip to my local PnY measurer a couple days ago. With the 2 bulls having such different rack structures, I thought it was neat that the gross score of them was quite similar.

First bull: 338 3/8 gross, 323 7/8 net

Second bull : 342 4/8 gross, 334 1/8 net

I'm doing a euro mount one the first one. I'm having the rack from the second one mounted with the cape from the first one.

It's hard to believe that its been 3 months already...

Is anybody going with Webbers in 2018?

16-Dec-17
Sorry huntinelk I missed this thread first time around. Congrats on a couple of great caribou.

My wife and I are booked for Webber's Sept 20-26 of 2018. We were there in 2016 and no one in camp even seen a shootable bull. Sure hope this year goes better. It was a great camp though and Russ Mehling is a stand up guy.

I am also interested if any bowsiters will be up there this year.

17-Dec-17
Gene, two dandies! Congratulations again. Kurt

17-Dec-17
I enjoyed it all even though I was not there. Thanks for the pics and story. Paul

18-Dec-17
Congrats- brings back some great memories with my dad up there. Our guide was Jason. We went the last year Ryan St.John booked us before Russ started doing the logistical part.

18-Dec-17
Gene, I am beginning to believe that the golden horshoe is involved here.... CONGRATS!! on a great couple of bulls!!!!

18-Dec-17
Missed this one. Great animals . Hunt

08-Jun-18
Finished mount, cape from bull #1, rack from bull #2

08-Jun-18

08-Jun-18
Great mounts! Congrats again!

• Sitka Gear