drycreek 22-Sep-17
stick n string 22-Sep-17
Ben 22-Sep-17
IdyllwildArcher 22-Sep-17
Joey Ward 22-Sep-17
RutnStrut 23-Sep-17
grape 24-Sep-17
21-Sep-17
OK, I can hear the jokes already, but have to ask...

I was over-seeding my yard this morning and two turtles we're in the grass backed up to each other. But, one was on his/her back, the other upright. Shells were open, but heads barely poking out.

I went to upright the one turtle, and realized they were connected. Left them alone, and both were gone later with the only evidence they were ever there was the butt of a cigarette. (Just kidding).

Is this how it is done? I did not know turtles go on their back willingly, if that is what happened.

21-Sep-17

I was over-seeding my yard this morning and two turtles we're in the grass backed up to each other. But, one was on his/her back, the other upright. Shells were open, but heads barely poking out.

I went to upright the one turtle, and realized they were connected. Left them alone, and both were gone later with the only evidence they were ever there was the butt of a cigarette. (Just kidding).

Is this how it is done? I did not know turtles go on their back willingly, if that is what happened.

21-Sep-17

22-Sep-17
Sounds like it was a fun morning, if they did it 3 times.

Terry

22-Sep-17
Thats a good day.....

22-Sep-17
I have seen them once or twice but both were upright. Looked pretty awkward to me.

On a similar note, I came across 2 king snakes (a king and a queen?), tangled up this summer. I stopped to look and one immediately disengaged and slithered into a hole. So help me Hannah if the other one didn't glare at me before it followed. I apologized to him.

22-Sep-17
my wife saw a wildlife TV special one time that said the male turtle's bottom shell or belly shell, whatever you want to call it, is curved inward to allow for positioning.

22-Sep-17
Thanks Eddie. Now I can claim that my front shell's big curve is all natural and for breeding purposes. I used to say it was because my wife is an amazing cook, but for some reason nobody ever really bought that one…;^)

22-Sep-17

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Huntcell 's embedded Photo

22-Sep-17
So, I guess they were experimenting. Maybe they were newlyweds and were given the book 'The Joy of Sex' as a present?

Just kidding, he rolled off the top and landed upside down. Thanks for the picture, it helped:)

22-Sep-17
Sorry, Stick - has to curve INWARD!

22-Sep-17
I'd give you right mean glare too, Salagi. lol

22-Sep-17
Had a couple of tortoises in my back yard when I lived in Midland TX. Picked them up at different times off the road. One had a nasty gash across the shell from probably a lawnmower strike as I found her crossing the road next to a park. Caught the little guy chasing the other and attempting to mount. After that they were named Ike and Tena Turtle.

Terry

22-Sep-17
You might be assuming wrong about the lawnmower strike, Coyote. Ike was know to have a violent temper!

Years ago, we caught a pair of Snappers on a trotline in the river. We pulled the line up and had one of them hooked, but the other one was mounting it. We scooped both of them up in the net and cooked them. At least one of them died happy......I think

22-Sep-17
Lol Frank. You got excited enough to triple post ! Shades of TBM !

Troy, aint much better eating than snapper. Stink like hell to clean, but great eating !

22-Sep-17
Like I always said, if the snapper stinks, don't eat it! Words to live by

22-Sep-17
Don....We purged them in clear, running water for about a week before my ex-father in law cleaned them. He cut their heads and legs off and hung them heads down for several hours to bleed them out. I remember walking by them hanging there and rapping on the shells. Their legs would go to gyrating even several hours after their heads were cut off. It’s the only time I’ve ever eaten turtle. There is supposedly 7 different kinds of meat in a turtle, but I could only tell 2. I thought it was pretty good, especially the whitish colored meat.

22-Sep-17
Frank, I have witnessed this several times in Sept. and Oct. when sitting in the stands. Even had them come from opposite directions and meet near my tree. It is not uncommon. I am talking Terrapin's.

22-Sep-17
Ben, That's what these were.

22-Sep-17
Snappers breed belly to belly in water they blow bubbles too.

22-Sep-17
Frank, To add a little more all I have seen copulate were just like dogs until they were done , then seem to have a "dog knot" and fall over till the erection subsided, then released and went their own way. TMI ?

22-Sep-17
Only on Bowsite will you learn everything you always wanted to know about diddling turtles, but were afraid to ask.....

Scar, I left myself wide open for that one. Well played Sir !

22-Sep-17
Lol drycreek, great line....

Dang, GF, thought i finally had it. Maybe i will just go with hibernation weight or else just call it my insulation for being on stand this fall.

22-Sep-17
Scar, I agree! Made agreements I couldn't later keep! LOL. We're talking Terrapins here not snappers. Salaglia, I've found snakes the same way, looked like they were braided they were twisted up so bad. They evidently were orgies as there were 3-4 snakes in the same cluster. I've found this probably 4 times with snakes in my lifetime. Only interrupted snakes once and when I did they all untwisted and went there own way.

22-Sep-17
I remember watching a nature show as a kid of Galapagos tortoises and it showed the mating doggy style.

22-Sep-17
How would they know how? Ain’t no dogs on that island.

23-Sep-17
"How would they know how? Ain’t no dogs on that island."

Obviously they are using the internet for it's second intended use. The first being Bowsite and other hunting related sites of course.

24-Sep-17
For years we had been seeing drag marks in the sand on our ranch that we assumed were from pretty large snakes until one day we witnessed a male box turtle being dragged along on his back while breeding. We've seen it several times since then.

24-Sep-17

grape's Link
Here you go! Turtle love. These two were at it a long time..I was impressed.

• Sitka Gear