yooper89 05-Mar-18
Scar Finga 05-Mar-18
elkmtngear 05-Mar-18
Paul@thefort 25-Jul-18
jordanathome 25-Jul-18
Dyjack 25-Jul-18
fisherick 25-Jul-18
24-Sep-17
Last early August I posted my elk challenge for this season would be to use only my Great Plains recurve bow for my elk hunt here in Colorado. And maybe the biggest challenge of all was to leave my compound bow at home as it was used to kill my last 11 elk. I wanted to kill my 12 elk with the stick. So the challenge starts as does the story of the hunt. This was the first time I had made a daily log of my hunt and I did this to share with you the ups and down, the joys and/or disappointment that one may be faced with along the way. An another equally good reason is to keep somewhat sane during a solo hunt for what might be, more that a few days alone.

FORWARD: I have been bow hunting elk for the past 25 years while living in Colorado and the two previous years as a non resident from Ohio. I killed my first bull elk in 1989 as a non resident bow hunter and even how when friends ask Tricia why we moved to Colorado, she states, " Paul just wanted to bow hunt elk every year". I was 52 years old at the time we move to Lake Granby Colorado where we purchased a tourist lodge and ran it for the next 10 years, and yea, right in the middle of elk country and as you might expect I caught the elk fever even more.

This is the first elk season I have kept a daily log; those things dear, those things exciting, as well as those things, well sort of mundane, but necessary while in elk camp and while actually hunting. Some thoughts, some observations, and maybe even some hallucinations, as I might not see another hunter or person for days on end and some times I just talked to the wild critters. No this is not a camp with other hunters, not a camp with a wall tent and wood burning stove, not even a truck camp or 32 foot trailer camper but what it is, is a solo elk hunt with a two person mountain tent, two tarps, sleeping bag and mat, freeze dried foods, treated water out of a near by stream and on occasion, a bath out of that same stream. Oh ya, a few packs of Big Wet Wipes for those very cold days. I will leave three days before the Colorado opener to one of Colorado's Wilderness areas in the center part of the state and will stay the whole season if necessary.

Now this essay may not be for the guy who has slain the dragon many times but you might find some humor or memories in the story so you are invited to follow along even if painful, leaving the thought behind, "I have been there and done that". A better audience might be the occasional bow elk hunter still trying to slay his dragon or the bow hunter with one or two elk to their credit. And maybe, even better yet, the bow hunter who has never hunted elk, but in their mind, "I have a dream" to do so.

I will back pack up the mountain for 2 miles, gaining 1400 ft in elevation to 10,258 ft. I still remember what Coach Green, my foot ball coach stated (yelled) back in 1958 when I was a senior in high school, and us linemen were hitting the very heavy blocking sled, "Come on girls, the cheerleaders can hit this sled harder and faster". I wonder what the coach would think of this hunting exercise? I believe we all have a "coach Green" some where in our lives that want us to live up to our full potential, to climb the highest mountains, and to live life with gusto, with love, with passion, and with with respect for others thing and for others. On of my favorite sayings is " you only go around once in life so grab up all of the gusto you can" as you know this current life experience you are now having is not a dress rehearsal for the next time around.

So lets get started, day by day, with stick in hand on a doable challenge for elk in the high country in Colorado.

24-Sep-17
I'm ready Paul.....hope I can keep up.

24-Sep-17
Paul, sounds great no matter the outcome, life is a challenge & you my friend have grabbed it by both horns & lived it your way, my hats off to you!

ElkNut/Paul

24-Sep-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Starting on August 23 I made daily notations of the progression of the elk hunt in my ELK LOG starting three days before the season. The format I used was to post not only daily observations but some times hourly, those thoughts that just came to mind at that time.

24-Sep-17
YES!!! I have been so excited for this thread!

24-Sep-17

NO, not taking the blue water jug or cooler
NO, not taking the blue water jug or cooler
bull and cows in the burn high up
bull and cows in the burn high up
Elk minus 3, Wed, August 23

3:34 pm. Arrived in the elk unit and parked in the Forest Campground for the first over night stay. My pack weighs 45# but need to reduce the weight by 10# and make room for my bow and day pack. I will sleep in the truck tonight and start up the trail in the morning, early AM.

5:39 pm. Traveling up the forest road this evening I spied two bulls through the spotting scope high up and in , a very open old burn. One single bull and one with 6 cows. I will not attempt to hunt as the very open burn area is hard to get close to then and it is still 3 days before the opener.

11 PM. Very restless night in the truck

24-Sep-17

almost there, another 1/4 mile to go and slightly down hill this time
almost there, another 1/4 mile to go and slightly down hill this time
when you get to camp, make camp!
when you get to camp, make camp!
South meadow bull following cow into timber the first evening of scouting
South meadow bull following cow into timber the first evening of scouting
Elk minus 2, August 24, Thursday

6:30 am, Up and at them, Rearranged my equipment last night and this morning.

7 am. at the trail head with 40# pack, 42 degrees, Should be a cool morning for the climb up to spike camp area. I always feel I am taking too much stuff but if I end up staying over a week or more, I might as well be comfortable.

8:30 am half way up 9:15 am, 3/4 up 10:20 am, at spike camp area. I want to check out the trail camps which were positioned two week ago but I have to follow my rule, when you get to camp make camp!

12:30 pm. camp set up with lean-to for outside eating and rain/snow shelter. Will take the 2 gal plastic jug to water on the way to check out the cameras.

1:30 pm. First camera. Disappointed with no pictures. I had made a screw in the tree/camera attachment and it seems like it loosened and pitched the camera too far forward. Reset in a different location. Second camera , one coyote, three elk cows and calves, and a 4 pt bull elk, the then lots of moo cow pics. I know now where these elk might be entering the meadow. This will only be an evening hunt when the cooler currents descend. Made a makeshift blind 20 yards away.

3 pm, picked up water jug and added 24 iodine tabs for treatment

3:30 pm. A freeze dried meal of Chicken and rice. after which i shot the bow. Time for a cat nap.

5 pm. Headed for the Big South Meadow to scout and observe. 6:05 Pm Cow elk and 5x5 bull crossed 200 yards down hill. Stayed until dark and head back to camp 20 minutes away and over the hill.. No more sightings or sounds.

24-Sep-17

ELK TARGET
ELK TARGET
coyote looking for dinner
coyote looking for dinner
Elk minus 1. Friday August 25. day before the opener. Eleven months of waiting, elk fever for sure.

9:15 am. Just returned from scouting. Observed elk high on the mountain at least 800 feet high. Can not tell bulls and or cows. It is unbelievable how quite it is here in the thick, old growth timber of the mountain Wilderness area. Sure, a jet plane high above once in a while.. But all in all, the quite is almost deafening but just the way i like it. The older I get the more quite I like it. This is the first morning in camp and was up at first light. Coyotes off in the distant can be heard. Instant oatmeal with a granola bar broken up and added to it. Washed down with a cup of hot spiced cider. Camp in comfortable in a grove of mature Engleman Spruce Pine trees.

10:32 am, There is a perfect uprooted tree with a huge root ball covered with dirt, a great target for practice out to 30 yards and the dirt even has the color of an elk's hide. Speaking of the color of elk this time of year. The light tan color sticks out like a sore thumb on the hill sides and can be easy to spot from a distant but in the timber they blend in very well, not so easy to find.

10: 58 am. Trying my best to say well hidden and without leaving too much scent as I am the only hunting abut a square mile. The old age forest is very dense and the meadows are the only place to observe elk when then come out in the evening or about to enter in the mornings.

11:01, time to shoot a few arrows.

12:19 pm. Time goes slowly. I wonder what the mountain men did in their spare time. I would expect they did not have much time off just trying to keep alive, trapping beaver, hunting for food, finding shelter for the elements. I guess be hunters today have it easy with all of the modern gadgets. If we do not like the current situation or environment, we just to home to a warm bed and a full refrigerator. I hear a coyote off in the distant. I guess I am not along. I was never much of one to do a lot of hunting and camping with others. Most of the hunters my age have retired and the other are still working and supporting their families. Maybe my roots go back to the mountain men, to the one guy who like to be along. I have hunted with a few good men and enjoyed their company for sure. That coyote is still yelping.

12:46 pm. I still have 4 1/2 hrs to hang out before I go set on the North Meadow. Clouding up, it might thunder and rain like it did yesterday for awhile but still warm.

1:30 pm. Hard to believe it has been two years to the day that I was at this very spot hunting. I am now convinced that the year only has 200 days, not 365, and the number of hours in the day is 18 hrs and not 24. Lots of things to think about miles from nowhere, no radio, no tv, or newspaper. I remember 9/11, I was back in the timber elk hunting and did not find out about it for four day when I came out. Crazy world and crazy times. But here I am again loving what I am doing and doing it in a free country. I wonder what it will be like 50 or even a 100 years from now. Will our current life style be but a distant memory and not even read in the history books.. I KNOW ONE THING l AM GOING ELK HUNTING IN THE MORNING!

24-Sep-17
Good luck Paul.

24-Sep-17

Caught me!
Caught me!
and away they went
and away they went
5pm. Heading to the Big South meadow where I saw the bull and cow last night.

6:15. a young spike bull steps out 80 yards away and then looks back over this shoulder. Out steps a nice 4x4 followed by two more young bull. Ten minutes later, the wind shifts and they spook backing to the timber. Elk educated! I decide to leave and hunt over to the North Meadow

24-Sep-17

40 yards and closing
40 yards and closing
Spooked
Spooked
and gone, but then only at a slow pace, like he was not sure that he had smelled
and gone, but then only at a slow pace, like he was not sure that he had smelled
6:45 pm. arrive at the North Meadow and set along the upwind side away from where I believe the elk will be coming out as usual. No sighting and am abut ready to leave with I thought I heard something behind me and down the meadow from the direction I had come. Sure enough this bull is walking right up the middle of the meadow, almost on the horse trail and he should pass within 30 yards of me. Now the cool air is draining down and he will pass through my scent.. Another educated bull to my presents.

24-Sep-17
Thanks for taking the time to post this, Paul.

24-Sep-17
Keep it coming Paul.

24-Sep-17

Wallow blind
Wallow blind
Elk plus 1, the opener. Saturday, Aug 26th.

O'dark 30. ie, 5 am. I thought, of the 44,000 Colorado resident and nonresidents who bow hunt elk each year, I wonder how many will be out this day. 6 am. I was in my natural blind just as I could see without my head lamp. Cool air was drifting down and in my face and of course on the first day, the first morning, one has high hopes. Hopes of at least seeing or hearing an elk. No use to be aggressive this first week and I know there are elk around.

9:05 am. the air became very still and I knew the wind was about to switch from down to up the hill and towards the wallow meadow before me. Time to bail out but first to check the trail camera. WOW! at 5:45 pm, last evening a nice 5x4 bull walked through the camera' s lens. Was mostly the one I had seen in the North Meadow last night that got down wind. Maybe he will do the same tonight. Based on my current sightings, the elk are active 15 min either side of 6 pm.

12:10 pm. of the bulls I have seen, most were hard horned except for the spikes. Some of the bulls are still in bachelor groups or single this early in the season. I would expect to hear a night time bull bulge anytime but most likely not in earnest until next week or later. NO hard frost and early more temps in the low 40s.

12:34 pm. Spike camp in at 10,280 ft above sea level. being here for three days my lungs are starting to adjust to the altitude.. One nice thing being at this elevation is that it is down hill to the truck. I have nine days of food and if needed will make a run down the hill for more. I did not bring enough elk and goose jerky so I will restock that for sure as I am munching on it thought out the day. Good stuff and good protein. I usually eat my evening meal before I head out so I do not have to mess with it in the dark.

9:pm. Returned to camp and ready for the sack. Sat in the blind over the wallow for three hrs. but no elk observed. Did hear the first grunt/chuckle and then later a short bugle in the same meadow when I saw the 4x5 bull. Might try to sneak in there in the morning.

24-Sep-17

Actually, the bull I saw in the north meadow is a 5x6 antlered bull, not a 4x5.

24-Sep-17
Those are some nice bulls. Great pictures. Good story

24-Sep-17

filling up the water jug, 15oz at a time
filling up the water jug, 15oz at a time
top ant, my first attempt from memory after 65 years of looking at ants.
top ant, my first attempt from memory after 65 years of looking at ants.
E plus 2. Sunday August 27th.

10:06 am. Warm last night and this morning. Went to the North Meadow but no elk. Sat there from first light for two hours after. Checked the trail camera, no pics. Followed a moo cow trail into the forest 200 yards and found another small meadow with, what seems like only a moo cow wallow but it looked of interest so I build a natural 15 yards down wind for the morning or evening hunt. This time of the year the bulls and cows are usually still in their summer mode, ie, bed to feed and a few bull feeling the urge to sniff around and roam some.

11:18 am, went to the creek for water to fill the 2 gal container. I am using a gallon a day of water for cooking and drinking. I am hoping for a shot at a dusky Grouse for dinner when the season comes in next week. I have not seen or heard any fly ups/ downs. in the morn and evening.

12:06 pm. I now have 6 hours to putts around. Parts of elk hunting solo and far away from others, can be boring.

4:39 pm. Getting ready for the evening hunt. Warm in the low 70s. with a cloudless sky. mile wind from the SW. Earlier I was watching a large black ant that was crawling around doing what ants do. Not sure what I was looking for. Now listen to this. The question came up years ago from my 8th grade art teacher, how observant was the class. We all assured here we were very observant on a daily basis. So she then states, "how many of us have observed an ant? We all shouted, " I have". So the assignment right then was then to draw an ant as we had all observed 100s of ant in your short life times.. Well to this day and having many ants in my vision I do not believe I can draw on accurately. Interesting how the mind drifts to the past, ie flash backs, when alone, when one has time on their hands.

24-Sep-17

the two sparing bull are close
the two sparing bull are close
here comes Joe or is it Moe?
here comes Joe or is it Moe?
Joined by the other bull
Joined by the other bull
they push closed and are now right in my lap, Time for the shot at 22 yards
they push closed and are now right in my lap, Time for the shot at 22 yards
Afternoon hunt. After the hunt 8:15 pm ACTION , ACTION, ACTION. I know you all have been waiting for this.

Back at camp from a very interesting hunt at the Wallow Meadow. At 6:21 pm, Moe and Joe show up at the opposite end of the meadow 80 yards away. Joe in young 4x4 and Moe is a young 4x5, almost like twins. Like two teenagers or brothers when like to punch, shove and wrestle, these two bulls got into a shoving match. Head to head, and noses to the ground letting out small grunts and wines, then pushed closer and closer, antlers together banging and clanking. They would break apart for awhile and "horn" a near by small pine tree and then go at it again. I picked up the camera.. they came closer and closer, 50 yards, 40 yards 30 yards, (now within my effected stick range) now to 22 yards. Heads locked together, still head to head, still grunting, still whining and they did not have a clue I was there watching this while thing unfold. The 4x5 had his rear to me pushing the other bull slightly to my left and out of my shooting window.. I was hoping they would come right out in front for a very good opportunity. The bigger bull kept at it and they both stayed to the left and just out side of the shot window.

So here is what was going through my mind. Man, it is only the second day of a 30 days season. It is hot out and these two bull are nice and especially to meet my goal of killing my next bull with the recurve bow. Ok, lets get this done, I picked up the bow and shifted in the blind for the 22 yards shot and surely a kill.

24-Sep-17
The bow is up, the arrow is on the string, my fingers tighten on the string and I start the smooth draw waiting for the bulls to break apart and turn broadside. Any second now!

24-Sep-17
Now if that is not a cliff hanger. thanks paul

24-Sep-17
Come on- what happened next.............

24-Sep-17
Any second now...;^)

24-Sep-17
Wait, wait, the Denver Broncos area about to score.

24-Sep-17
OK Paul, don't leave us hanging.....

I'm enjoying the journey and pictures.

G

24-Sep-17
Hurry up, or we might have to throw a flag on you for unsportsmanlike conduct;-)

Great read so far, Paul. Can’t wait for the rest of it!

24-Sep-17

Well, not only did I shift in the blind but so did the wind and just enough to alert both bulls, as close at they were. The one facing me with horns locked together, his head came up and within a second he was gone. That left the other bull, with his butt towards me, standing there not quite knowing what had just happened. It did not take him long to figure it out and all I saw was is butt entering the woods 25 yards away. . Both were gone.

I guess the only good thing that came from this close encounter and missed opportunity, is that I still had 28 more days to elk hunt.

Good night.

24-Sep-17

Elk plus 3, 9:35 am, Monday August 28th.

The alarm did not go off so I was a half hour late in going. Dressed, grabbed a granola bar and headed to the South Meadow. THis is a tricky place as one nears the top side dividing ridge, the cross wind can shift to down and through the meadow. As soon as I was nearing the ridge, not being as careful as I should have, I spooked an elk. I moved over and tried to melt into the timber but there was the bull and cow I had seen a few days before, 150 yards away, staring in my direction. To calm them down, I gave out a few cow elk sounds. They drifted off into the timber but in the adjacent arm of the larger meadow, I hear a loud bull bugle. My first thought it was another bow hunter until I looked in that direction and saw a good 5x5 bull standing in the meadow looking in my direction. And then another bull stepped out and they both headed into the timber. Where they went in might be a good place to set up tonight for their return.

24-Sep-17

2:19 PM I remember, ie, yesterday in the 3 oclock hour, a bull elk came to the wallow meadow and actually wallowed only 23 yards from the blind,, This act was recorded on the trail camera when I arrived at 5 pm. This had actually happened just before the two sparing bulls had showed up. Coming in that early, the every shifting winds would be a real challenge so I would give the wallow meadow a break for a few days and concentrate ont he two 5x5 bulls I saw in the south meadow.

24-Sep-17

one of the bulls that was curious about my calling
one of the bulls that was curious about my calling
and then the other. Sure do look like Moe and Joe
and then the other. Sure do look like Moe and Joe
3pm, Time for dinner. Chicken and noodles casserole tonight. I purchased the Mt House meals with 3 servings which I split in half for two meals. I just save the other half in a reused Mt House bag and then seal. Since i am within a mile of most of my hunting area I am not burning up a ton of calories but I always plan on losing 8-10 pounds on these trips. We all like that idea until be get home and then, chocolate cake and ice cream, candy bars, deep fried, this and that, etc. etc.

9:29 pm. another interesting evening hunt in the south meadow. I set up within 25 yards of where I had seen the two 5 pt bull enter the forest. Time 5 pm and the wind was in my favor. Nothing until 7 pm. I cow called off and on trying to lure the two bulls in to range if they were in hearing distance. What show up from down in the meadow was two young bulls, may Moe and Joe. They were interesting in my calling but did not come straight in to me. One circled to my left and then the other circled to my right and then got down wind. They both then spooked away. Another day gone by. I can see the advantage of having another hunter along to call or to shoot from a different location. I will take a break from this report and continue tomorrow. Thanks for following along.

24-Sep-17
Can't wait until tomorrow Paul ! Good reading on a Sunday afternoon.

24-Sep-17
Regardless of the outcome, this thread will be epic!

Paul, planning on getting together Saturday. Details this week and looking forward to hearing the story in person.

24-Sep-17
Regardless of the outcome, this thread will be epic!

Paul, planning on getting together Saturday. Details this week and looking forward to hearing the story in person.

24-Sep-17
Thank you Paul..I feel like in there..good luck my friend,,can't wait till am!!!

24-Sep-17
what day, Saturday or Sunday?

24-Sep-17
Saturday most likely.

24-Sep-17
This is a cool thread. Best wishes!

24-Sep-17
Following along...........

24-Sep-17
Ahhhh mannn.... do I have to go to bed so early?????

24-Sep-17
I've been waiting for this. Thanks for sharing. Great as usual.

24-Sep-17
Great story as always Paul!!

24-Sep-17

Oregon tuna last July
Oregon tuna last July
string wind direction indicator in blind at wallow meadow
string wind direction indicator in blind at wallow meadow
bull was gone after the wind changed in his direction
bull was gone after the wind changed in his direction
Well back from Tricia's and my 35 wedding anniversary dinner. Fun time and good conservation and dinner.

Elk plus 4, Tuesday, August 29 th. Slept in this morning as the elk, who have been up all night have been heading for the bedding area at very first light of day, to the shade and security of the pine forest. Too early for the rut and I have not heard any intensive bull bugling from any direction. Finished the book, How the West Was Won, by Lou Cameron. A good fictional read about the movement west in the middle of the late 1800s. Of course there is always the good guy--handsome, tall and strong and can handle a side arm or rifle. Then the bad guys, the gun fighters, cattle men, Indians and always, a girl , prettier that usual, blond hair with a blue ribbon.

9:18 am. Headed for the creek to wash a few items of cloths and while they were soaking , I went to check out the trail cameras nearby. no new pics. Back at the wash are and was about to gather up, an cow and spike elk emerged from the forest up hill 100 yards away. They did not see me and continued to travel east and into the forest. Time, 10:10 am. I would expect they were in the upper meadows, bedded down and then decided to chance for the deeper forest.

11:03 am, Quite as a mouse. very light winds. Have not see or heard another person in five days. Very slow moving, puffy white clouds moving in from the west.

1:42 pm. clouding up more. Having an early dinner of instant mashed potatoes, white Albacore tuna. That reminds me of the vacation Tricia and I took to the Oregon coast last July. I booked a off shore tuna charter with 7 others. 30 miles off shore and trolling in a 42 ft charter boat, we caught 108 Albacore tuna from 10 to 20#. We ended up bring home, 70# of tuna steaks. Good stuff.

8:40 pm. I am sure you other elk hunters would agree that the swirling winds have saved more elk from death than anything else. So here is that story of tonight. Figuring that the 3 pm, wallowing bull at the Wallow Meadow might need another mud bath I played the odds against change winds and headed there at 2:30 pm. I kept my fingers crossed that the wind would be in my favor if an elk showed up. The sky had clouded up and the winds were basically from the north but can change on a dime. I set there at 3 pm, 4 pm, 5 pm and watched the limb tied wind direction string blowing mainly to me. At 5:01 it switched and was blowing out into the meadow. at 5:04 a young 4x4 bull comes in to the clearing to drink but he is out at 40 yards, too far for my recurve bow . I pick up the camera for the picture, he take one gulp of water, smells me, and takes off. I do not feel too bad but he could have been at 30 yards when the wind switched.

Just finished my first canister of gas for my Jet Stove. They seem to last 4-5 days for heating 2 cups of water for breakfast and then dinner. Heard a bull around 7:15 that answered my cow calls. Sound coming from the north meadow.

24-Sep-17

this hawk watched me heading down the trail to the truck
this hawk watched me heading down the trail to the truck
Elk plus 5, Wed. August 30. 10:57 am. Just finished breakfast back at camp. Popped a vitamin pill. Going to be another warm and sunny day. 6am. Before light I worked my way up to the north meadow on the down wind side carefully looking with my 10x bios. I turned my ears to ultra high, trying to notice any cow take, particular bull grunts, squeals, or bugles in the distant. None were heard at all. An hour later I played on my cow call, a song of love to entice a bull. Off in the distant, I hear a bull squeal and then nothing. Later I checked the relocated trail camera and there was a pic of a cow and spike, the same I saw while washing cloths.

11:09 am. As warm as it has been, the elk are sticking to their normal summer patterns, bed to feed. So far, I have had a wallowing bull at 3 pm but the. other experiences, like last night, 5 pm to 6 pm seems to be when the elk are moving but with the unsettled winds at that time all of the elk have known I was there somewhere. So far the blind at the wallow meadow has given me the best opportunities and if the elk would show up even an hour later, when the wind was in my face,, the possibility for the shot would increase.. I have seen no action at the wallow meadow in the AM.

3:49 pm. Time sure does move slowly especially for a solo hunter miles from civilization. Took a power nap, ate a macaroni/cheese dinner, shot the bow, read a chapter of the new Louis Lamour book, The Trail To Crazy Man.

8:48 pm. A big zero at the north meadow. Light winds, some dark clouds. The wind was so light that if you attempted to fly a kite,even if you ran like hell, and then stopped, the kite would crash.. At 6 pm, an hour later, the winds picked up to 15 mph, from a variety of directions. You know that kite? Well if you tried to fly it now, it would get torn out of your hands and fly to the next county. Mountain weather!

Will, I do believe the local elk have me figured out some and this morning and evening were good examples as I have been busted by sight and smell. The wild animals,, the elk, are starting to retreat and earlier habits are changing also. Unless you have one chained to a picket-pen, they surely are unpredictable at times, and now I think this is that time. I will give it one more day and the after that a four day rest, (Labor Day weekend) return as things may have settled down. And maybe cool down some also.

Elk plus 6, Thursday August 31. 7 am. I have decided to head home for the Labor Day weekend. Took me 1 hr and 10 minutes to get to the truck. Gravity did help in the quick descent. Be back in four days. on Sept 4th. Should be home mid day.

25-Sep-17
Good for you Paul.

I too like gravity!

Good luck, Robb

25-Sep-17

orange sun enhanced my smoke in the area.
orange sun enhanced my smoke in the area.
hanging mats and water bottles on the ground, two lanterns
hanging mats and water bottles on the ground, two lanterns
full moon phase. do you think the elk care?
full moon phase. do you think the elk care?
camp robbers
camp robbers
Monday morning at 5:06 am, at home on August 28 after the hunt. Still on Elk hunting time and awoke at 5 am without the alarm clock. I even thought I heard an elk but it must have been a local hound howling.. It will take me a week or so to get off this early elk time and back on local time. So back to the elk hunting adventure and the pages of my daily hunting log, as it happens by day and hours.

Four days later. Elk plus 10, Sept 4th. Monday: Left home a 5:15 am and stopped in Walden Colorado of breakfast. I was in the hunting unit my 11:45 am. Stopped by a friends camp and had lunch. Thanks Bob and Betty, enjoyed the conversation and hospitality.

2:11 pm. Headed up the mountain to spike camp with enough food for 10 days. Warm day again and the hot sun was shinning on the south side of the mountain. Needs more frequent stops and water but was in camp by 5:30 pm. First accomplishment was to get water, the a bucket bath to get rid of the sweat coming up.

6 pm. Mack and Cheese for dinner.

7:30, the setting sun is bright orange as there is forest fire smoke in the area from a variety of distant sources, out of state and north in Colorado near Steamboat Springs. Another quite evening. Great to be back in elk camp.

7:44 pm. Just heard a bull grunt/chuckle from the north meadow which is only a 20 minute hike from camp. Setting on the slope just below camp listening. Tomorrow I will start the elk hunt again in earnest.

7:49. another bull sound

7:52 cow churps

7:54. another bull sound,

the day light is fading fast

Elk plus 11, Sept 5th, Tuesday: 5:15 again. Alarm went off but I stayed in the sack for 10 more minutes. Very quite but was hoping to hear some bull sounds. Normal breakfast.

10: am. Setting of a log back a camp writing this and munching on elk jerky and dried apples slices ( from my own trees). A Gray Jay landed 4 ft away, hopped over and grabbed a hunk of jerky and a apple slice. They go by another name, Camp Robbers.

5:45 am. Went to the Wallow Meadow and checked the camera. WOW! a good bull walked in front of the camera at 5:46 pm, about the time I was returning to camp last night. Can not be in two places at once, I guess.

8:am, in the wallow blind. hearing some bull sounds to the north in the dark timber. Also hearing off in the distance, a cow round up. Cowboys shouting, cows mooing on the far hill side a mile away. Round up time to get the cows off the Federal land, ie, grazing permits.

10:41 am. Cutting through the forest, above camp and came upon this cach of stuff hanging in a tree. This is only 500 yards from my camp. Left a note stating I was camped in the area and bow hunting. I might have company during the ML rifle season at starts on Sept 12th. Saturday.

4:28 pm. Lunch. Chicken Noodle soup with chucks of elk jerky. I keep listening for human noise from above; I bet by Friday at that camp. Have to wait until at least 5:30 to hunt the wallow meadow as the wind does not calm until then. No new camera pics from the North Meadow. Need to arrive at the Wallow blind later, to avoid being detected but most of the action in around 5 to 6pm when the wind is just an IF.

4:44 pm. getting restless to go but need to wait

8:26 pm, No action at the wallow blind. Head a bull in the north meadow again and went to check it out with 15 more minutes of light left. No sighting. Heard him up higher. 8:34 pm. back in camp, the bull is now just above camp and within 500 yards.

8::41. the bull sounded off with a high pitched bulge, calling to the girls.

Elk plus 12, Sept 6th 9:27 am. Biscuits and Gravy for breakfast Mt House. First time, we will see if good.

8 am. Hunted the north meadow, check the trail camera. Picture of cow and spike that a have seen before.. Stayed there for two hr but no action. Climbed up to the higher meadows looking for grouse, No birds. Cow elk called across to another ridge and deep cut and was answered by a lone bull with low bull grunts. I would expect it was the bull for last night above camp. Again, very still, cloudless, very dry, no for-casted rain.. 42 degrees in the mornings.

9:51 am.. I give the Bisq and Gravy breakfast

a #7 but add some pepper, than an #8, not bad, would eat it again. A good change from instant oatmeal

12:12 pm. Naps are good. Brewed a cup of hot cider and ate a few pieces of elk jerk and dried apples. Still smoke in the air as the ridge tops 5 miles away are had to discern. According to a study, (take it for what it is but also to ponder.) the primary elk rut, mating, when some cows come into heat. This happens 5-6 days before the Equinox and this year that is on Sept 23, so things should be heating up around Sept 17th. The report also states that prior to this time, the bull are feeling the urge to investigate cow area and scent check open meadows. THis has been my experience over the years. Now this can happen in different areas of the state and the country where elk are. I still am not seen many cows and calves around, a lot less that two years ago. going through a full moon phase. According to my GPS , the best time to hunt, moon phase, is between 12 and 2 pm and the good times is, dawn and dusk. Regardless, I know the best time and the good time, is being in the right place and the right time and than can happen at any time.

12:44 pm I have been keep up with the daily log for my bowsite friends. the good, the bad and the ugly.

(AT home, 6:16 am, heading for the gym to work out some. I will continue when I get back.

25-Sep-17
This is great Paul. Thanks for sharing. It's all about the process. Can't wait for the rest.

25-Sep-17
I much prefer the MH biscuits and gravy to eggs and ham, skillet breakfast is ok but not as good as biscuits and gravy.

25-Sep-17
Awesome photos, and story, Paul! Will keep checking back for progress!

25-Sep-17
great read, keep it coming. Great Adventure

25-Sep-17
You son of a .....

Keep it coming!

25-Sep-17
Really enjoying this. Thanks for posting it up!

25-Sep-17
Awesome detailed re-cap story Paul! Thank you doing this!!

25-Sep-17
Great story so far Paul!

25-Sep-17

around and around they go
around and around they go
Ok, let continue. good work out at the gym. All pumped up. Same day as above.

9:01 pm. back at camp. Crazy afternoon: I left camp at 3:30 to explore a big meadow to the west 3/4 mile. While there and right up to sundown, a big Lear Jet and a two engine turbo prop were doing fly over in big 5 mile circles. Around and around they came, Loud as hell. Noise pollution for sure. After 5 circles, the Lear left but the turbo continued to sundown. I learned later the jet belonged to one of the Millionaires that live part time near Meeker. I am still investigating the turbo and why only 5-6 mile rt hand turns and circles over the Wilderness area? Later I ventured higher to the end of the meadow and into the dark timber, sending out locator bugles and a few cow calls. Right at sundown a bull answers and he is heading my way. He will not get to me during legal shoot time. Not to spook him. I pull out and head down the trail and an area he will not smell me. Later, he passes by bugling and looking for the cows he thought were in the area. Full moon tonight.

25-Sep-17
This is great Paul! I'll have to keep a journal on my next solo hunt, I've never done that...

25-Sep-17
Good stuff as usual Paul, enjoying the "ride"!

25-Sep-17

thick standing and downed timber to hunt in
thick standing and downed timber to hunt in
well that was close
well that was close
heading back to camp
heading back to camp
Elk plus 13, Thursday, Sept 7th.

9:59 am back at camp. Lots of excitement in the elk woods this morning. I headed of the wallow meadow but once there and hearing nothing, I decided to create some elk excitement by hiking through the old growth forest of all pines, and dead pines laying on the forest flow like matchsticks. I wanted to create the sence that I was a young bull pushing a group of cows forward and in the direction I wanted to go. Also keeping in mind, the direction of the morning currents which at this times would be a cross wind. Shortly I heard a bull respond off to the north. I kept heading SE keeping bugling and cow whining off and on, the wind in my favor. Hard going, with down timber but there were a few opening here and there. Still can not see much farther than 50 yards. Forty five minutes later and just after I was in the middle of a calling sequence, a real life bull opens up 100 yards in front of me.. I cow call, and small bull squeal. He responds back with a loader bugle. I circle to the tight to get more down wind and find a good opening. THe bull to the north, he is also closing in fast and I hope he will pass by within bow range to challenge the other bull.. So we have a three some, call fest. Later the north bull looses interest and drifts off. The other bull is still bugling but drifting off also and to higher ground, across a dry creek bed.. The only option I had was to back out as the warming wind was going to drift up hill and to him shortly. I backed out and returned to camp a mile away. Fun and exciting morning.

10:19 am. Camp robber graped an apple slice

10:22, the turbo plane is back and doing the same thing as before.

10:25, Brunch, a two pack of oatmeal, 2 granola bars, hot chocolate

12:22, plan still flying around and a lot over head.

3:43 pm. Upper body and hair wash. feels good.

4 pm. will hunt the south meadow this evening where I had the bull action this morning. Warm again. maybe a 50 % chance of rain on Saturday. The ground is dry in the meadows. Less water in the stream as two year ago but there is a nice 4 ft dia pool of clear water where I get my drinking water. Still lack of seeing cows and calves. They might be lower down in the Aspens where there is more moisture, shade, food and water. I know of two 4x4 bull that were killed below me, one the first morning and one just last week.

5:00 pm. Heading out to the South Meadow. Will wait across the meadow until the cool currents start to descend around 6: 30 , then I will cross the meadow to where I believe the bull is that I encountered this morning. I will enter the timber, wait and listen.

6:31 pm. I am in position. I hear a bull doing soft grunts, three or four. I wait 10 minutes and then do a few cow and calf calls. No response.. I move another 50 yards into the thick timber and run right into him standing 40 yards away, looking in my direction from behind some thick brush. I quickly step back and do a few cow calls. That seem to confuse him to what he thought he saw so he did not spook away. In stead he started to circle, towards me, and would be passing thought a small opening at 30 yards. My bow was up and ready, but he passed through too quickly for a good shot. He continued to circle, almost down wind, to the trail I had come in on.. He put his head down, must have smelled my track, turned the other way and disappeared. I then advanced to the bull trail the bull was first on when I first saw him and where he had come from hoping another elk might be following. I set up. Up the hill and in the distance, another bull bugles and he is closing . I stand my ground. He answers my cow calls. He advances to within 60 yards but I can not see him. He bellows once and leaves. I never see him again. More fun!

25-Sep-17
This Is Excellent Paul, Keep it coming man, type faster!

25-Sep-17

fire below
fire below
just before the drop
just before the drop
after the drop of fire retard
after the drop of fire retard
wrong plane above, this is the correct one dropping the fire retard
wrong plane above, this is the correct one dropping the fire retard
Elk plus 14, Friday Sept 8th. Day before ML season.

9:59am. more excitement in the elk forest this morning but the elk was not sighted as he was higher up and heading away. I worked my way, that way to the NE for a mile but had no more encounters. The wind was starting to hit my back and uphill so I had to retreat from the chase. The only good way to get through this stuff is to follow the moo cow trails, as I know the elk do. Checked the trail camera at the top of the north meadow and at 6:50 pm yesterday, a cow and bull passed by. The cow gave the camera a nose print. I fashioned a blind 20 yards down wind and will be there tonight hoping they will come out.

Oh, forgot to tell about the forest fire down below near the road when I was in the south meadow. Heard later is was from a lightening strike a few days before. The next day a big jet dropped fire retard on it and put it out along with some ground help. It never jumped the road and came up my side so I was ok.

11:58 am. Lunch and then nap time

3 pm Chick and rice for dinner

3:21.pm. I believe you will agree that we hunters are mostly part timers and the the animals we hunt are at it full time, 24/7/365. A hunter walks into their environment, their home range, their living room, their kitchen, their bedroom and then they figure it out real fast. Something is out of the ordinary. Just like if someone invaded your property, so after a while you would know, something is out of place. And in the animal world, that "something" is us.

4:47 pm Complete cloud cover along with a temperature drop. Can only hope the increased winds will subside.

5pm. headed to the north meadow and planned on setting in the blind I had made where the camera caught some action of bull and cow..at 6:30 I was in my hide with a cool, in the face, wind. I waited until dark. No action I did hear a bull off to the east but did not respond. Another day gone by. I am ready for a wine and a woman! Maybe there will be one of each when I get back to camp.

25-Sep-17

Elk plus 15, Saturday Sept 9th. 6 am, not quite a full moon over head but still very bright out, ie, moon light. While i have seen no activity at the wallow blind in the am, I just decided to set there and listen. I heard the north meadow bull bugle twice as he was heading back to his bedding area. I wish there were more cow elk around to help create more pre rut excitement.. A cup of hot chocolate in hand. Cloudless morning.

9:45, another long wait until late after noon. at least I do not have to hike up and down from the road two mile away to hunt up here. I have two more paper backs to read, and I hope they last. Two year ago I kill the cow elk up here on Sept 21.

10:24 am. Shot the bow extremely well out to 30 yards. Now if I can just find a bull in range that is blind on the side I am shoot from. Starting a new book y Clive Cossler, the Havana Storm. Found this American Wildlife knife near camp. Actually I found it two years ago a stuck in a standing log and left it there. Wandering around camp I found it again, but this time it will be heading home with me. How many knives does a guy need on one of these hunts. I always take my Leatherman and one more knife with a gut hook but for some reason, when I packed and unpacked, I kept placing another knife in the pack so I end up with a few more.

3:38 pm. ate a early dinner of tuna and mashed potatoes. Weather man was correct except for only a 50% chance of rain, it turned out to be 100%. All in all a welcomed relief.

5 pm. at the side of the north meadow. waiting for the wind to shift downward. Had heard another hunter bugling early near here but had left by the time I had arrived. Must be from a drop camp a mile west of here, I think.

6pm. Wait, i hear the pounding of hoofs on the hard ground coming up the hill towards me. these two young spike bulls came within 30 yards, spooked and headed off.. other that that, a quite evening in the blind at the top of the meadow, cool and good wind but no elk. Another day.

25-Sep-17

25-Sep-17

at hotel lobby, elk and deer mounts from the early 1900 to mid.
at hotel lobby, elk and deer mounts from the early 1900 to mid.
over 100 years of local history
over 100 years of local history
and even John was there. we had a nice chat
and even John was there. we had a nice chat
Elk plus 16, Sept 10th Sunday.

I am sure everyone will remember where they were on tomorrow's date, 9/11. Received a nice surprise this morning. Not it was not the Swedish bikini parachute team dropping in to say hi, and stay the night. It was a deep throat bull bugle from the north meadow where I have been last night in my hide. I will give that area a rest for a day hoping to catch him during day light hours. Hunted instead the south meadow, no action.

9:47, dinner and the sack. 9:56 pm. the rain yesterday quieted down the ground and the forest, good walking and stalking. Days are cooler.. Closing in on a half moon.

12 noon, washed shirts in creek and hung out to dry. Nap time

2:10 pm woke up to thunder and rain, shirts will not dry today.

3:15 pm cleaning dirt from boot cleats.

8 :34 pm writing this in the tent with a head lamp. Another crazy in the woods. went to the north meadow at 4:30 and sat on the upwind side and away from the direction the elk come from and opposite my hide. At 4:38 this bull that I am sure is the same one as this am let out a low bass, musical bugle. Not one of those "get the hell out of here bugles" bugles but one of those, " hey girls I am your stud muffin, come on over". He was situated within 200 yards north of my hide across the meadow. Sounded like he was still bedded. He did his best Dean Martin love song sounds every 15 min until 6 pm and then he just got up and moved east.. I moved to my hide when the wind shifted down and tried to call him back but he did not come. Maybe had a cow with him. So I am setting in the hide. good wind, thought he might come back and then I notice movement to my left and coming from the meadow. moo cows. I get up, run out and chase them back the way they came. End of the day with no other action.

Elk plus 17, Sept 11th. Sunday. A day worth remembering. I was glad to hear a jet fly over high. Headed west but only saw and heard coyotes. Missed my first grouse.. Decided to hike down and go to Meeker to stay two night, see the sights and have a good dinner with Scott the City administrator.

10 am. arrived in Meeker, checked into the best and cheapest motel. not bad. nice bed and hot water, and tv.

Next two days in Meeker, a tire fixed as I had a 4 in nail in it, ie, low tire pressure., good dinner with Scott, aka, Mathews Man. Good breakfast, visited the historic Meeker hotel and museum.. Will head out on Wed back to camp.

25-Sep-17
Paul, You are having nearly daily encounters - which makes the hunt fun. Many hunters go a week and never see one - you seem to have the right area. Also, if you weren't committed to the recurve, the story would likely be over by now.

25-Sep-17
Elk plus 19 Sept 13, 6 am, left Meeker in good spirits, clean, rested and with a full stomach.. 6:30, just had a mountain lion jump across in front of the truck 20 miles out of town. neat.9:15. heading up the trail to camp. Jumped a grouse, tried to kill it with a rock. no luck.

11:30 back in camp. Check the trail camera, no new pics. Lunch later, nap also.

4:30 dark clouds and thunder coming from the west. later went hunt higher up and ran into two spike bulls. no more action.

25-Sep-17

Elk plus 20, Thursday Sept 13, A DAY TO REMEMBER for sure.

11:41 am back in camp. Shit happens but then it is suppose to happen to the other guy, right? :). I was a happy camper when I left camp this AM and headed for the north meadow where I had been hearing this bull off and on but could never get him in close for a good view until he crossed my path at 28 yards and yes broadside, this morning.

So here is the story of this hunt this morning. I decided to sit at the moo cow wallow at first light as I had heard this bull just early up above it, a 100 yards or so. He was moving away and to the east. I thought I might me able to attract him back with some loved sick cow talk. He did come back but stayed away on a slight rise above me. We traded cow sounds with bugle sounds, and then small bull sounds. He bugled very loudly and at times I thought he was coming closer but I still could not see him. At one time he must have been only 50 yards away in the thicker down fall and thickets. He moved off. When I knew he might not return, I went after him, not really knowing how far he was away but it sounded in the thick timber he was at least 200 yards away and still moving away. I went after him with loud bull bugles and grunts and a few cow sounds and it seems I was catching up based on his position. All or a sudden he was right in front for me but moving left to right behind a thicket only 25 yards away. He did not know who or where I was. He kept moving to my right but still no opportunity for a shot. There he is heading for an opening. I turn that way ready for the shot. He stops just before the opening and looks in my direction. I had been doing bull screams at him to get him mad.. For some reason, he jumps back a few feet but then continues to circle around to down wind. I watch his travel route. He keeps moving right and he is heading for another opening 28 yards away. I am on my knees behind a downed pine tree ready to draw but my lower arrows in the quiver get caught on a limb and I loose concentration for a few seconds. He is only a few yards from the opening and as he steps into it, I cow call. How, we all know bull elk NEVER stop broadside in an opening! Well at the sound of the cow call, he stopped directly in the center of the opening. I can see his whole body, head and antlers.. I draw the recurve bow, pick a spot, release, (do not know if it was a smooth release or if I dropped my bow hand) but the arrow was the exact correct height to take out the heart, BUT the arrow was 18 inch back too far. A forward center gut shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! more than half of the 510 gr arrow had penetration and I watched him spin, and green glowing nock showing the way but for only a few seconds and he was then gone away, slightly to the right. I know right away it was not a good shot as the broadhead and arrow are absorbed by the fat and the contents of the gut. and after eating all night, he had plenty of gut. Any arrow/broad head hole might be blocked so no blood escapes. There was no exit hole. I heard him crash through some thicket and then all was quite. A little later I went to the spot and looked for any blood. I searched up and down and trail or openings I could think he might have traveled. I did find only a few hoof scuff marks on one trail but then none else. I expanded the search for blood from 50 yards, and then to 100 yards, and then started to to a grid search. No luck in finding any blood that may indicate which way he might a gone. ie, straight across the meadow, up hill or circle around to his bedding area. I searched for 6 hours and then returned to camp very rejected for my poor shot execution. The next morning I search higher up and around with the thought that maybe I would just find him dead on one of the trails. No doing. Or dead in a bed. NO doing. Some of us have been there and it is not a good feeling and it will play on our hearts and minds for a long time. The what ifs, if this had happened, the what ifs, if I would have done this. Maybe I should have been standing and shooting, what ifs. What if he had not stopped in the clearing. Any way, a lost bull elk I do believe and he will most likely be absorbed back into the natural circle of life and death, in this case. Do I know this for sure. Well I do not but most likely. Sad day for me for sure. I do think this was the bull.

25-Sep-17
I lost a cow this fall, shot with a longbow. It would have been a trophy to me. I believe I hit liver and 1 lung. Dead elk but I never found her. Ended my hunt 3 days early. It sucks. Don't let the "what if" demons get to you like they have me.

25-Sep-17
Oh Paul i know the feeling i hope it end well fo? you. Ive been bow hunting with a recurve for over 40 years and had my share of bad shots. In fact i had one this year but was able to find him.

25-Sep-17
I am so sorry for you, Paul. I was really hoping for happier results for your challenge.

25-Sep-17
Not what we wanted to hear Paul, but....it happens. Enjoying this nevertheless !

25-Sep-17

back at camp a fire was prepared for the roast
back at camp a fire was prepared for the roast
the roasted bird on a stick
the roasted bird on a stick
add a few shakes of salt, and let the feast begin
add a few shakes of salt, and let the feast begin
So while hunting for my wounded bull, I came upon a Dusky Grouse that offered me a reasonable shot within my effective range. Actually he was only 15 ft away. A judo headed arrow did him in. No tracking this time.

25-Sep-17
Yummy!!!

25-Sep-17
Jeeze buddy,,Damn tough turn in a great thread,,keep your head up..everyone on here has made a off shot,,

25-Sep-17
An epic adventure Paul....keep it rolling!!!

Did your bull ever turn up?

Mark

25-Sep-17
That grouse looks delicious. Thanks for bringing us along on your hunt. I always enjoy reading about your adventures.

26-Sep-17

who is stalking who?
who is stalking who?
Elk plus 22, Sept16, Saturday.

5:55 pm, the coyotes are yapping loudly to the west. Maybe they have a good reason to do so. As I crawled out of the tent, I noticed it looked more light than usual. No light, just a 1/2 of fresh snow. I hunted for awhile, even looked for the elk but saw nothing and hear nothing.. Later at is warmed up some, large snow bombs dropped on the tent with a great bang. some just missing me also. My 1 pm, under a warming sun the snow was almost gone. I am sure, with my recent activities in the area, the elk have dispersed to other places. 'Time will surely tell that.

26-Sep-17

camp robber of a different color. Nothing goes to waste
camp robber of a different color. Nothing goes to waste
E plus 23, Sept 17, Sunday. Hunted the north meadow. Very cool and wind unsteady and pushing up the hill earlier that usual. Coming up the trail in the dark I heard a very lite bugle to the NE, near where I lost the bull. I knew where was another smaller bull hanging around him. I stood at the very top of the meadow trying my hardest to hear more elk sounds. Later I heard a louder grunt closer. I moved closer. Cow and calf called, No response. Today is the last day of the ML rifle season but I have seen no hunters in Orange. I did see 4 other bow hunters the previous week but they all came up from the road and returned before the evening hunt. I am hunting a small area. Thick old growth standing and fallen Spruce. Being a Wilderness Area, it has not been logged off as I can tell. Some forest fires in places.. The correct wind and currents during the morning and evening hunt times means every thing to one's success. If I get another chance for a shot, everything has to be perfect, meaning the set up, the wind, a cooperative elk. 30 degrees this morning and I do not know what is in the future for weather.

Just about ready to take a mouth full of oatmeal then the pine martin shows up looking for hand outs and maybe another grouse carcass to chew on. I spoke to him telling abut the wounded elk and that there might be a year's supply of food up in the timber if his nose set him in the right direction. Lots of down time. consider hunting 3 hr in the am and maybe 2 in the pm. The rest of the time is for sleeping, napping, eating, pondering, exploring, reading and thinking abut a hot bath.

2:41 pm. a flock of Sand hill Cranes just flew over high heading SE. Maybe a storm front come this way from the north.

5 pm. Sat the wallow blind. Terrible winds unsettled. Had a bull respond to cow calls but he never showed up in time. He came near and i had to sneak out to avoid him after hours. At least two bulls still in the area.

8:15, back at camp, cleaned up . Starting a new book, Bulls Eye,

26-Sep-17

Elk plus 24, Sept 18, Monday

Well, I truly to not know how a morning in the elk woods and with bow in hand can be more exciting, well unless one counts last weeks encounter. I have two primary areas I hunt. the north and the south meadows. I try to give each a two day rest and then hunt the other. So the north meadow was scheduled this morning and I arrived at first light and peaked over the ridge into the meadow. I was surprised to hear a bugle and then noticed a good bull crossing and then entering the timber and a few minutes later, another small bull. I waited 15 minutes and then followed and entered the timber where they had being careful not be be seen. I proceed farther on a moo cow trail and find an opening a set up and do a few cow calls. Within a 100 yards, I hear a mighty roar from the larger bull. I call, he answers, I call again, he answers, He is getting closer and at 50 yards, he grunts and bugles loudly. I can not see him, but there, here he comes on the other side of the thicket, he is moving to my right, no opening for a shot. At 30 yards he stops and looks but not shot. He moves again, I think his head is behind a tress, so I crawl a few feet to get to a better shooting position spot. His was looking at me when I moved so he busts out and back but not away. I call some more, he responds but moves off to the right more but farther away. I get up and move to my right and farther down wind and try to circle ahead of him which I do. 200 yards farther, i set up and wait for him. I hear him grunting and coming my way but 50 yards away in a small meadow. I call, he calls back but will not come closer and passes by out of range and disappears. If you have elk hunted, this stuff never gets old!

So an 1/2 hour before the end of this chase and at the last set up, I look to my left and on the ground is an old kill area, bones, hair, leftovers of a killed elk and right next to my location, its the skull with a perfect 6 pt rack still intacked from last year. I try to make a note of where this is in the thick timber but when I tried to find it later, you know, like finding a pin in a hay stack. Oh well, just another story.

26-Sep-17
Wow! Awesome thread and pics. Keep em coming. Thanks Paul.

26-Sep-17
4:55 pm Same day Finished off the remaining Sweet and Sour Pork, shot a few arrows out to 30 yards, picked up the sun baked, sun dried cloths. read two chapters in the book, cleaned up in the tent, shook out the sleeping bag. Sun still 35 degrees off the horizon and two hours before sun set. Will be heading for the south meadow area again. Still no cow and calf elk to be seen. Strange. Will be only an hour hunt if this wind cooperates.

8:52 pm back at camp. Never, Never, Never, underestimate what might happen or can happen while in elk county with bow in hand. So at 5:15 I head up the hill to the south meadow. Only takes 20 minutes to get to he upper ridge before dropping into the meadow. When I get to the ridge line and since I was early and the wind had not settles yet I decided to turn right along the ridge and move through some small openings and scattered pines a few hundred yards. A few days before I had noticed that someone had left an old wood burning stove, two pans and a snow shovel head from a past camp in a pile of logs. Also a large piece of black plastic has blown out in to one of the openings so I would bundle it up and hide it under some of the downed timbers. I move that way and actually the wind was calm along this part of the ridge. As I was about to pick up this large plastic, I head a noise that sounded like an elk racking its antlers on a tree or another elk's antlers. I listen more and was convinced that is what it is. I first check the wind and it is perfect, coming up the hill. I looked around for a set up spot and see two or three that might work based on the wind, the cover, and where I think the elk might come to, if he does come to my cow calling. I am in a small wooded area, scattered pines, openings, with a few downed timbers. Before me was an small arm of the big meadow, and beyond that,70 yards away was the thicker woods and where the elk was. I convinced myself that if he came, he would try to come in across wind and then swing down wind. crossing the meadow from left to right at 25 yards. so I pick the set up where I had two shooting lanes for that out front. I had heard no rubbing for the past few minutes so I quickly set up, checked the wind again and started to cow and calf call. Arrow on the string, bow in position. Over the next 5 minutes I did two series of cow calls trying to project them behind me to draw the elk close if he came. I was against a small pine tree to my left but I can see that way ok, A large downed tree was 15 yards in from of me and expanded away to the left the way it had fallen years ago, sort of blocking the path that way. A had a good view of the meadow in front but it sort of disappeared to the left as it rolled down the hill and behind some tree clumps and meadow edge A called a few more times looking right to left but mostly right and straight ahead ready for action.

Well action came all right but came from the far left. Unknown to me, the 4pt bull, after he had rubbed the tree, and moved down and along the inside of the timber/meadow lined and may have moved 50 to 75 yards farther to my left and out of sight. After hearing the cow sounds, he must have waited for awhile to make sure he was hearing what he was hoping for, ie, cow elk. Then he crossed the narrow meadow, down hill under the roll of the downward angle of the meadow. He then turned up on my side and came up the timber line towards me unseen.

I caught movement to my left and here he came right at me from straight upwind., 40 yards away. They never do that. Thirty yards, twenty five yards, twenty yards, fifteen yards, ten yards, fifteen feet. The small, sort of blocked opening an elk was not suppose to pass, behind that big fallen tree to my left, he walk right through it.

So here I am, pinned down. I can not shoot to my left at all and I have a young, 4x4 bull elk standing 15 ft away not even knowing I am in the area and thinking a few cow elk are around.. ON my knees, I turn my head slightly, and can see him looking around trying to figure the situation out. He sniffs the ground where I had been but does not seem to concerned. A minute goes by and there we are almost nose to nose or butt to butt. I am screwed! I watch my wind direction string hanging from the top of my bow. It is swinging away and up the hill but then starts to slack and swing right and then left and then right at the bull. Well you might be able to fool their eyes and ears but never their noise. In a cloud of dust, he spun and was gone in a flash back the way he had come not even giving me a chance to take his fleeting picture. Still;kneeling, I lower my head, touching the ground with it, close my eyes, try to swallow with a dry mouth, and think, OH, Well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there you go Paul. Another close encounter. Close!!!!!!!!!

So here is where the Ifs come in. If only I had chosen a better place to set up with more flexibility to shoot out front in more that two areas and to be able to turn more to shoot standing up. One of the set up areas I had considered was just like that and only 10 yards behind me. OH, WHAT IF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26-Sep-17

he was not impressed with my abilities and went on chewing
he was not impressed with my abilities and went on chewing
high over head this hawk watched it all unfold
high over head this hawk watched it all unfold
it has to be the moon phase. Right! more to come
it has to be the moon phase. Right! more to come

26-Sep-17
Day by day this story is simply awesome!

26-Sep-17
Paul, your story telling has me right there with you, I Missed the season there this year, and feel that you are filling that void nicely, as I can feel and live thru your pics and words, thanks, and keep it coming!

26-Sep-17
Unbelievable read sir! Thank you for sharing!

26-Sep-17
Great story Paul.....I feel your pain.

26-Sep-17

thick stuff to hunt in and to see elk coming
thick stuff to hunt in and to see elk coming
One of nature's designs at its finest
One of nature's designs at its finest
I picked up and headed down the hill into the big meadow. Now what? I still had time for an evening hunt. The tops of the tall pine trees were still singing the wind song and did not seem to want to quite when I needed it to do so. I decided to just set on the side line, and just inside of the trees and watch and listen for anything that might come out down farther in the meadow. It would also give me time to reflect on what just happened and also the last few days. You know, when you think you know a lot about elk hunting, the elk teach you something new, and you then figure, you might not know nothing or just not enough yet. It just might be a uphill battle for years to come for a full understanding. As I said before, these are full time wild critters we are hunting. And then, sometimes we just get lucky. Later I advanced into the trees 100 yards where I had seen the two bulls this morning. and gave out a few cow calls. Nothing. I packed it up and was ready to break out into the meadow when an elk crossed the opening in front of me in the diminishing light. Through the bios I made out a spike elk. Then I heard the bull I had followed this morning about to come out 300 yards to the south. The cool currents were draining that way so I turned away and headed back to camp so not to disturb him.

I sent Tricia the,I am OK. message from the SPOT. Even in the tent I can hear him now calling to the girls.

Elk plus 25 Sept. 19 Tuesday.

5:39 am. I do believe the Jet Stream is close by or right over head. At nearly two miles above sea level, the tree tops have been swaying all night and the wind sound in the tops remind me of a high powered fan turned to the highest setting. My experience is that most animals hate the wind. It screws up their defense mechanism. Mine too! I will wait for awhile to see if things calm down some, if not more down time in camp. Hard to stay in camp. 6:06 am. Headed for the south meadow and as expected, not a creature stirred, not even a mouse. Moved farther to the west, and set up twice and did some blind calling. The last set I noticed another bow hunter 200 yards away going through a sun spot. Either he did not hear my calling or just decided it did not sound like and elk.

9:30. Later I visited the wallow meadow and checked the trail camera.. on the previous Sunday I had placed a stake in the ground out in front of the camera and then placed some elk scent jell on it. The camera had a picture of a cow elk coming up to the stake at 10:30 am, and smelling the jell and then leaving. With nothing else to do, I sat in the blind until 1 pm. No action.

1:38, back to camp and I am now in the tent., The west wind is cool and is howling. Time for a nap and to read a couple of chapters.

1:42 pm. I just thought the tent was going to be lifted off the ground by that last wind gust.

4:11 pm. Nap felt good. Ate a tuna pack. Brewed a double batch of hot cider. Gee, the wind has even slacked off for awhile. Maybe better things to come for this evening. 48 degrees but without the sun, cool.

4:30 sat in my woodland La-Z-Boy with my 76 cup and drank hot cider and soak up some rays before the hunt.

8:22 pm. I would have bet my recurve bow that I would have seen or heard something this evening. Nothing! I have not heard any elk sounds in the evening for the past 3 evenings. There is a time when the elk just might have moved to a new location.

26-Sep-17

Tom with his huge trophy cow elk
Tom with his huge trophy cow elk
Lee joined him for a photo op. Both field dressed and quartered the elk and then had a packer bring it down. Smart thing to do other wise, 5 round trips on foot
Lee joined him for a photo op. Both field dressed and quartered the elk and then had a packer bring it down. Smart thing to do other wise, 5 round trips on foot
Elk plus 25. Sept 20 Wed.

6:02 am. Just when I thought all of the elk had left the area!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last night when I had returned to camp, I let out two bull bugles locator calls. No response. So I am back in the sack for about an hour when 200 yards above camp a bull lets one go, a loud bugle. And just about an hour ago, the same bull is working the north meadow where I will be heading shortly. Just finished a two pack of oatmeal. I am dying for eggs, bacon, and toast!!! Heading out. So I get half way to the meadow in the gaining light of the morning and the bull bugles just up the hill from me. Not in the north meadow at all. The wind is good but too early to see well and shoot. I wait in the same spot trying to judge the distance to the elk and where he might be and in what direction. Shortly it is legal time but I have not heard him for 15 minutes. I cow call and he bugles farther away and to the west. I circle around to get closer, set up, cow call, no response, he goes quiet. Gone. Dam! Later, I head for the north meadow and make a big loup to the south and to the end of the south meadow. No action but I run into Tom and Lee from California. Tom has been following a bull and cows up from the bottom. Tried to get to the bull for a shot but the bull out distance him. A large cow lags behind offering him a clear 42 yard shot which he take and connects.. I join them for the track. Well the track is what every bow hunter wants to see after he has arrowed an elk.

26-Sep-17

How many knifes do you need?
How many knifes do you need?
2:37 pm. back at camp did a water run, shot a few arrows, did really good when there is not a real elk in front of me :). Reading and nap time.

3:42 pm. this strong SW wind is making the evening hunts difficult for both meadow areas and adjacent forests. Lee told me there is another story coming on Friday night or Saturday. Oh good!

3:45. Here is a thought. The holiday or vacation, hunting trip is almost over when you start thinking about what you need to do when you get home. I am starting to think about that. I think it will take two trips down to the truck to get my stuff out and down and off the mountain. So on Monday I will break it all down, lay it out and determine how to and what to pack first. It take me normally, 1 hr and 10 minutes to go down and 2 hrs and 15 min to come up. So two trips will take about 5 hours, ie, down, up and then down again.

3:52, still have 4 days to kill an elk and it can happen this evening. As always trying to keep a positive attitude.. I have a good shelter, food, water. I can still taste those fried eggs, bacon, toast. Oh, and throw in a few pancakes.

4:43 Read two chapters, getting ready for the evening, wind will be a factor for sure.

5pm, left camp

8:42 pm back in camp. It only takes me 20 minutes to where the ridge rolls over into the south meadow. Got there and turned west again where I had the encounter with the 4pt bull. Spooked a grouse. My taste buds were activated in memory of the last kill and a roasted bird. Later I decided to hike up an adjacent ridge and just pass the bull encounter a few days before. ON the top of the ridge the timber became thicker and I thought this would be a great bedding area for an elk. Ten steps later, a 5 pt bull, jumps out of his bed, runs across in front of me and is gone. Later I cross over to the other side of the south meadow, wait for an hour, almost dark, get up, and see a spike elk coming up the middle of the meadow. He sees me and retreats.

Later, in the sack, and writing this.

Elk plus 27, Sept 21, Thursday. 5:16 am My air mat has been leaking so I have to re-blow it up every evening. Have been laying here for the past hour listening to a 747 jet flying over. Actually it is the wind! Could be worse. I could be stranded in Alaska, in a 2 man tent, with a guide for 3 days waiting for the storm or fog to clear.

5:30 am. it was two years ago this evening I killed a cow elk with the compound bow, a 1/4 mile from here. Warmer last night and this morning above freezing. Just completed doing the "in the small tent, getting dressed dance".

10:44. am Returned to camp after another interesting morning. wind calm a first but then gusty later. Circled around the south meadow, seeing nothing. I sat down on the far side. Later, three cow elk with calves trotted by within 60 yards. I believe it was the same cows that Toms was after with the bull a day or so earlier. I set up hoping the bull was following but it did not happen.

12 pm I decided to pull the wallow meadow trail camera. so I headed that way.. I have been using my digital camera as a card viewer. I had some great trail camera picture for the last few weeks on the card but the last time I was there, I reset the picture counter back to zero on the trail camera, not knowing I had just eliminated all of the pictures. Luckily, I still had some good pictures on the other camera's card to share

1:30. Climbed into the tent to get out of the wind. The wind is switching from the West, to SW and now to the south but here is not a cloud in the sky..

1:35. looking around my comfortable quarters. I am impressed with my Kelty Grand Mesa 2 tent that I have had for ten plus years. Only cost 149 bucks. Might be a little heaver than the new modern mt tents. but only 6 pounds. I added a Kelty 9x9 light weight tarp over it for extra protection from rain, snow, and snow bombs.

2:39. the wind is blowing very hard.

4:41. Just finished James Patterson's book, Bullseye. Detective Micheal Bennett does it again. Saves the President and the city of New York from the bad guys. Time to get ready.

Later in camp, 8:28. the big south meadow is where all of the action has been so I headed that way. I have seen elk there most often but now is the question, how to get within 30 yards of one. I set up on a trail hoping for some action. None but right a last light as I existed the forest near the edge of the meadow. a 5x5 walk out, 100 yards away and then just walks up the middle of the meadow, without making a sound. No bugle. I watch him walk to the other end and disappear. I head back to camp in the dark. Just outside of camp I give out to loud bugles. Sure, now he answers and he travels to the west and down to slope.

8:36 pm, starting a new book, BGen Coes's, First Strike. This is the last book I have to read.

26-Sep-17
You can come on with it Paul, I'm caught up :-)

26-Sep-17
Lovin' it - but you've gotta give us the story in the first post and follow up with the pics in the next - otherwise, too many spoilers!

26-Sep-17

8:10 am and ready to go down in one trip
8:10 am and ready to go down in one trip
almost thee hours later at the truck
almost thee hours later at the truck
a tired but happy camper and elk hunter
a tired but happy camper and elk hunter
8th grade art teacher would be proud that may years later, her teaching still had an affect on me. The end. Pau
8th grade art teacher would be proud that may years later, her teaching still had an affect on me. The end. Pau
Elk plus 28 Sept 22, Friday

5:30 am Nothing worst than a stuck zipper when you have to pee. An hour ago I thought I was in Tornado Alley as I heard this great wind gust coming up the mountain from the south and SW. The noise in the pine tops was exceptionally loud and the pine nettles came raining down. I was sure, as Kansas Dorothy did, that I would be swept away any minute. I have not been outside yet, but there is suppose to be a storm coming tonight or tomorrow for sure.

6:02, just completed a total Big Wet One, bath. Refreshing but looking forward to a hot, hot shower. Will be heading for the south meadow as that is the only place for recent action. It is big and long enough and I am sure there are elk around that I have not seen or heard as they are traveling around some for other places I am sure. Temperature above freezing in the low 40s but very windy with big gusts. When getting into the dense, thick old growth forest, there is a huge difference in the wind, almost calm in places. That may be why the elk elk like that environment for their bedding areas.

10:22 am, no action in the south meadow area. Did find another good wallow farther back in.

12:50 pm. More wind gusts, stronger at times., sun out once in a while. Hot water heating up. Jet Stove working well.

2:30 pm, a light rain falling. Something is coming.

2:45. Thunder in the distant

3:19 pm the storm rages on, With the un-settleness of the last 6 day's weather, this year's elk season is closing in fast. A lot less sightings. I have pushed that area hard and it is not unusual for a hunter to out do their welcome. So I am on the ropes and it is the 9th round. Do I retire now and remember the good days or should I keep on punching to the end? I will let the weather conditions help me make that decision. Only three days to the end of the season.

4:20 pm Looking farther down the hill from camp and I can see the tips of a few Aspen Trees. Because of the shorter days and cooler nights, the production of chlorophyll is being reduced and the other pigments in the leaves is starting to show, orange, red and golden. The saying, 'When the Aspen trees are changing to a golden color in the high county, the elk are bugling.'. may be true to some extent. Maybe tonight.

4:25 Every bit of left over camp food placed on the rock in the middle of my camp meadow, has been eaten by the Gray Jays. They are now feeding on left over mashed potatoes, and tuna. Very social bird and usually come in pairs and quite wings. Good company for this solo elk hunter.

8:17 pm Friday evening after the hunt. The wind had finally died and I had two good blind calling setups where i had seen elk before. You know the saying, :find the girls and you will find the boys. Not many girls around so that surely effects the number of boys in the area now.

So my decision is to break camp in the morning, Saturday, and head down the mountain from my lofty perch.

What a great experience it has been for me. Most of my goals and challenges have been accomplished except actually bring home some elk meat. There is an excellent chance that the bull I shot did not survive and not to be flippant and or dis-respective of the bull's life, but nothing goes to waste in the wild. Enough said!

I surely had some close encounters with bull elk since the start of the season in late August. The hunt might have been over on the second day if I had been more aggressive in my approach to that situation. There is that work, IF, again. And then there was the 15 ft away, bull. IF I had only set up in a different place. The bull I hid. If I had executed the shot better. What about the two other situations were the bull was only 25 to 30 yards away. If only there had been an opening to shoot through..

I am not sure I will be returning to this exact place in the future, as it take at least a PP or two to draw the unit and in two years, I will be 79 years old. For the past few years, I have taken one year at a time to plan my hunts and sometime my future.

I do acknowledge this, Elk Fever is catch able, and once you get it, it is impossible to get rid of it.

Oh ya! I finely learned to observe and draw an ant. My eight grade art teacher would proud.

End of the Grand Adventure. My best, Paul

Oh wait, it is not over yet.

Sept 23, Saturday morning at 6:30 am. Out of the tent, light rain, wind from the south streaming in fast, a few scattered snow flakes coming down, 33 degrees. Dark clouds.

I better get out of here fast. So I take down the tarps, clean out the tent and lay out all of my equipment, fold up the tent. and then try to figure if I can just make one trip down. If I do not and it keeps snowing, I will be in deep do-do.. My new Eberlestock back pack might be up to the challenge but am I up to the challenge to carry it and pack it down? I also have a duffel bag with a strap and handle. I pack the back pack first and then the remaining stuff went in the duffel bag including my trash bag.. Bow strapped on the back pack. The normal hike down is 1 hr and 10 minutes on a dry trail and light pack. I leave at 8:10 am. The first part of the hike is not too bad but I have to get use to the weight, at least 60 # on my back and 15# in the duffel bag which I carry in one hand and a walking stick in the other. A half inch of snow is now on the ground and the trail is getting muddy. I stop to readjust the load every 100 yards or so. The first part of the hike is sort of flat with a slight down hill and then with three steep benches to preform, it gets harder, wetter, and more slipper. . with water running down the track. I had some great boot with deep treads that really helps.

Exhausted and 2 1/2 later I arrive at the truck but with no falls or broken equipment. when I took off the heavy back pack, I think I grew 4 inch as I felt I was compressed for the last few hours.. I was so what wet, and still had snow on my pack. Glad to be down. It pays to watch the weather and get out quickly and safely.

I headed for town, took a very hot shower, dressed in civi clothes. had a warm lunch, and headed home. Just in time for Tricia and my 35 wedding university on Monday.

Thanks for following along and for the kind comments and encouragement..

Hope to see you on the elk trail in the near future. Paul

26-Sep-17
Great read and pics Paul! Thanks for that.

27-Sep-17
Great thread, Paul! Glad you made it back safely.

BTW.....Happy Anniversary to you and your bride!

27-Sep-17
Outstanding read. Great pics. You sir, are an excellent story teller and motivation for all true sportsmen. Thank you

27-Sep-17
At 77 DIY pack in hunt for a month WOW!!! Your a mountain man to be sure. Congraduation on a successful hunt and adventure. >>>>----->

And thanks for the posting and pictures.

27-Sep-17
Awesome story Paul. Things happen as they happen. Those who haven't been there in some situations..... they just don't know what they don't know.....

What an adventure...... there's a good many 20 somethings that wouldn't do a solo hunt or for that time. Adventures like that leave impressions and effects that can bring moments of change in your life, even a life that has had so many adventures flow under the bridge. Pretty cool.

Pau. Wonder how many know that word? Thanks for a bit of.... connection..... =D

Thanks again for bringing us along in such detail.... it's a big effort and solo makes it that much more so. You do it very very well.

Congrats on a great hunt.

27-Sep-17
Thanks, Paul you and your stories truly are an inspiration to me thank you!

27-Sep-17

high way killed bull elk, seen on the trip to Meeker
high way killed bull elk, seen on the trip to Meeker
Early snow in the high country. On the way out. Messed up a few bow hunters for the last weekend
Early snow in the high country. On the way out. Messed up a few bow hunters for the last weekend
full moon phase ending
full moon phase ending
changing Fall colors, from summer green to red, yellow, orange
changing Fall colors, from summer green to red, yellow, orange
Attached are a few more pictures during the time on the mountain.

27-Sep-17

only deer I saw were down on the road
only deer I saw were down on the road
I remember my parents purchased one like this in 1946 to replace the ice box. State of the art back then. No more ice man visits.
I remember my parents purchased one like this in 1946 to replace the ice box. State of the art back then. No more ice man visits.
high flying hawk trying to fly over the moon. Last picture. Paul
high flying hawk trying to fly over the moon. Last picture. Paul

27-Sep-17
Paul,

What a great successful bow hunt. Thanks for sharing. Who cares if you didn't kill a bull and had a pic with your face behind it. That's not what matters. You have found a great spot on public land and you can hunt it every year and see elk. That's the icing on the cake. I just hope I can do the same at your young age. You're truly blessed.

27-Sep-17
Paul, thanks for the ride. Man that's tough staying in the woods for long periods, it would drive me nuts! (grin) Congrats on a great hunt!

ElkNut/Paul

27-Sep-17
Paul, Thanks for the Adventure story of a lifetime. you have encouraged a lot of us to keep on living our dreams and expanding our horizons..... THANK YOU May God Continue to Bless you with health and a fulfillment of your dreams.

27-Sep-17
You are my Hero, Paul. Thanks for taking me along. 77 years old? I can only HOPE that I can run up and down the mountains as you do, at that age!! That was a highly Successful hunt, IMO, and You are correct, Elk Fever gets in your blood and it is truly Addictive!

27-Sep-17
Paul thanks for sharing your hunt. Nicely done.

27-Sep-17
That was a incredible read. Thanks for taking the time. I know what it takes and appreciate it. Best of luck . Hunt

27-Sep-17
Paul,

You are certainly an inspiration! I am amazed by your passion and hope to make it to your age with at least a little bit of you spark! Totally AWESOME hunt and experience you had this year! I will be rooting for you to accomplish your goal in the coming years! Awesome photos and storyline on this one for sure.

Man, you should put your hunting experience down in a book or something. I would love to have access to what you have seen and done as well as those wonderful photos!

Well done, my friend!

27-Sep-17
Elk bowhunting at it's finest! Looking forward to swapping stories on Saturday. Thanks for posting. It's almost time to kill some pheasants and geese :)

27-Sep-17
Thanks for sharing your great adventure .

27-Sep-17
Thanks for sharing this story with all of us Paul! I enjoyed reading it and following along.

27-Sep-17
Paul , thanks for a great story and you are truly an inspiration !

27-Sep-17
Thanks for taking the time to journal your hunt. What a ride you just took us all on. Congrats on the hunt Paul. As others have said, I don't know that I could do that month alone in the mountains. It sounds great right now from a warm office, but after a couple weeks sleeping in the elements, its a different story. Congrats again - an inspirational story for sure.

--Mitch

27-Sep-17
Absolutely fantastic read. Any person reading along has to see the passion. Congratulations on a fine hunt and best wishes for your next one!

27-Sep-17
Wow, thanks for taking me along!!!

27-Sep-17
I really enjoyed the thread Paul!

27-Sep-17
Thanks for sharing your great story!!

27-Sep-17
What a great thread this was to follow! Your ability to relate the adventure is matched by very few. Thanks Paul!

27-Sep-17
Thanks Paul for sharing the adventure but also all the chairman work your doing for the upcoming Colorado Bowhunters Association Awards banquet. Let us all know how we can help - if any of the audience has anything they can donate for silent and live auction materials, I am sure Paul and the CBA would be appreciative.

We need to have a Hooters Bowsite Lunch and a dinner event now that the west of I-25 season has concluded! I can bring moose.

27-Sep-17
Dang, Grasshopper, I might have to make an 18 hour round trip to be at that little git-to-gether!

27-Sep-17
Great write up Paul. Although your tag went unfilled I'd chalk that up as a very successful season. I can only hope to be chasing elk and having as much fun as you at 77. Thanks for taking us along, really enjoyed it.

27-Sep-17
Amazing story Paul! Thank you for sharing!

27-Sep-17
It takes a special breed to be able to be out in the woods solo for that long. That in itself is one heck of an accomplishment, Congrats!

Thank you for the story and I'm happy you had a safe trip.

27-Sep-17
Glad you got out safe and had a grand adventure! Thank you for sharing!!!

27-Sep-17
Paul, great adventure and terrific write up! You bring so much to Bowsite and I hope you know much it is appreciated.

Thank you again for sharing the coues deer pictures on my "First coues deer hunt" thread. I hope you get a chance to look at it again and read about my hunt.

Looking forward to your next story, Jeff.

27-Sep-17
Nice write -up Paul!

27-Sep-17
Great write-up Paul.....really enjoyed following along.

27-Sep-17
Paul, As always, I am amazed at how tuff and determined you are sir. I truly appreciate the time you take to post your adventures, and they are truly a great read with wonderful pictures.

Congratulations on your successful adventure and God Bless.

Scar

27-Sep-17
Amazing story. To stay in the game for 4 weeks ... You are not only physically tough, but mentally as well. Your story truly highlights that the adventure is in the journey, not the destination. Had you killed early, the story would not have been as riveting.

27-Sep-17
Paul, I really enjoyed your story. I hope I can hunt half as hard as you when I reach retirement age.

27-Sep-17
Good stuff, Paul! Thank you for the stories and the great photos!

27-Sep-17
Great story, great details, and great pictures! Sounds like you never found the gut shot bull? As much time as you spent in the woods thought you might find him, or smell him.

27-Sep-17
Thanks for the stories on your successful hunt. With all you saw and the experiences you had, you have to call it a success! Hope to be doing something very similar when I retire in a few years.

27-Sep-17
John, I had hoped so but it did not turn out that way. Actually, years ago I found my big horned sheep by nose, the following day and was able to recover and save all of the meat. Thanks for the note. Paul

27-Sep-17
Awesome account of a hunt. Inspiring to not give up

27-Sep-17
Awesome account of a hunt. Inspiring to not give up

27-Sep-17
Thanks for the story Paul, it was great!!

27-Sep-17
I don't have the words Paul. I'll simply say you did good !

27-Sep-17
Got back to reading after a couple days and found 'the rest of the story'. Very enjoyable read, I especially like the pictures.

How did you keep your camera battery charged since you used it to view game camera pics too?

G

27-Sep-17
Hey Paul. Great hunt. Tough hunt. Stick to the challenge, I guarantee the reward is worth it. Thanks for sharing.

27-Sep-17

Greg, I recharged the battery twice when I came home for Labor day and then when I returned from Meeker co. I have a battery charger attachment in the truck also. Actually the battery, even with the pictures I took plus using it as a game camera viewer, the charge was never lower then 1/3. I had planned on purchasing another rechargeable battery as an extra, and will do that in the future. I found them, off brand, on a website for around $40. Having the camera along adds some more "purpose" to the hunt and my adding the daily hunting log, surely helped the down time go by more quickly . If I had done a video with the camera, I would surely would have has an extra battery and sd card for that purpose.

The other "thing" the camera does, especially when writing a story, it chronologically, places the pictures in a daily and hourly order for future reference as the story moves forward.

Sort of like this can of peaches. I know when I return to the truck after a long or hot day, there will always be this cold treat waiting. Just zip open the top and gulp them down. good question. Paul

27-Sep-17
I might never get to hunt elk, until maybe retirement.... hopefully.... but reading your thread sure made me feel like Ive been there... Awesome read, thanks

27-Sep-17
Greg, you are one of the "I have a dream" guys that this essay was developed for. Good luck and remember, you only go around once in life". Thanks for the nice comment. Paul

27-Sep-17
Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. THANK YOU for taking us along. Man, I don't have any other words. Just Awesome.

27-Sep-17
How did you go that long without pooping ? LOL ;)

27-Sep-17
Jordan, that will just be my secret to take to the grave. Interesting question I did not expect or maybe know one else did either. Paul

28-Sep-17
Wow that was awesome i never done anĂ½thing like that ive been in the woods with family for over 50 years i would love to try something like this. 65 years old now and you made up my mind to go for it. Just have to find me a place and get away from people and roads Again great and thanks for sharing. Love to pick your mind someday paul

28-Sep-17
Paul,

Thanks for an absolutely incredible read. You are an amazing story teller and the photos are fantastic as well. I've never been elk hunting, but I think this story was about as close as you can get.

28-Sep-17
Great read Paul! I have told you before but I will say it again if I could hunt with just one person on bowsite it would be you!

28-Sep-17
6X6 bull X2

28-Sep-17
Enjoyed the story. Wish I could have been there with you.

28-Sep-17
Bummer on the bull Paul. Fortunately for us your storytelling overshadows everything else. Not only is your writing very relatable, but your humility is something we could all strive for. It seems that you were into quite a few elk, which is almost all anyone can ask on a hunt like this. Congrats on another fine season sir, and hopefully there are plenty more to come.

28-Sep-17

Thank you for all of your kind words and encouragement. I am already looking forward to next year's elk season. I will be mentoring a new bow hunter on his first WT hunt in eastern Colorado in mid Oct, and then towards the end of the month, I will be heading for Nebraska to also hunt WT deer. Maybe there might be another hunting story to share with my friends on Bowsite. Remember, if you have a dream, go for it. I know I will. my best, Paul

29-Sep-17
Great write-up Paul

Looking forward to seeing you at my place on Saturday with Lou, otcwill and the gang to share our 2017 stories

29-Sep-17
Brad, I am bring two baked Coues deer front shoulders, bone in, to pick on with a fork in one hand and a cold beer in the other. See you Sat PM> Paul

29-Sep-17
Fantastic thread Paul!!!

01-Oct-17
Great Sunday morning read, Paul. I was amazed how you were able to hunt such a small area for such a long time and still have continued action. Seems like there were new elk moving through all the time?

Wish I could have stayed out there for Aaron's send off party to hear all the stories. Great bunch of guys out there in FoCo. Best of luck on your WT hunts and looking forward to reading about the next adventure!

01-Oct-17
Nick. Actually the elk hung out in the very, very thick old growth, live and fallen dead timber prior to the rut around mid Sept, and they seemed to feel very comfortable in there. I tried my best not to make too much contact, (hard to do with out spreading my scent around) Towards the end of my hunt when the rut kicked in, the elk started to spread out and were harder to find.

01-Oct-17

Mt House plus other food, snacks.
Mt House plus other food, snacks.
elk and goose Jerky and dried fruit
elk and goose Jerky and dried fruit
Jet burner, with extra gas canisters. The small canisters lasted 4 days when heating water morn and evening and some mid day. 4 gal water jug. I would bring 2 gal into camp every four days
Jet burner, with extra gas canisters. The small canisters lasted 4 days when heating water morn and evening and some mid day. 4 gal water jug. I would bring 2 gal into camp every four days
for 25 years of elk hunting I have always use iodine tabs plus the clarifier tabs for water purification. Never had an issue if directions are followed.
for 25 years of elk hunting I have always use iodine tabs plus the clarifier tabs for water purification. Never had an issue if directions are followed.
I was asked concerning some of the camp items I used. So here are a few----

01-Oct-17

Knee sleeves for that hard up and down hiking with a heavy load. Protects the knee and it parts from over strain. Camp slippers, a must
Knee sleeves for that hard up and down hiking with a heavy load. Protects the knee and it parts from over strain. Camp slippers, a must
GPS and Compass
GPS and Compass
Reading material for an extended trip. Makes the down time more injoyable
Reading material for an extended trip. Makes the down time more injoyable
SPOT to send " I am ok" to my home computer so Tricia was updated on my condition.

01-Oct-17
and the last three items, a first aid kit (even one band aid can make a big difference and save a trip), Two head lamps, the red one is for field dress, and processing an animal at night.( a Energizer lamp) Lot of bright light. ( I take reverse one battery so it will not turn on in the back pack by mistake. The other head lamp is for every day, use at night around the camp, reading in the tent, or heading out or returned in the dark, a Streamlight with green and normal white light. (extra 3A batteries for each)

01-Oct-17

01-Oct-17
Great Story Paul! Thanks!

02-Oct-17
Paul, I felt like I was there. Bob

02-Oct-17
Paul, you know what I think. You're still my inspiration and I think of you often when I'm out there alone, like slogging up the mountain in the dark on day 25 when I haven't seen an elk for several days. You're still doing what most others only dream of, and at, like 92 years old!

;-)

02-Oct-17
Hey Lou, the age 92 will be here before I know it and if I am still elk hunting then (or still alive), I will call you for the pack out. :) x2

02-Oct-17
Thanks for taking us along Paul... really enjoyed it.

03-Oct-17

Thought I had erased the SD card and a few elk picture. Seems I did not.

03-Oct-17
Some really nice bulls, Paul...I'd even take the martian if he were legal! ;-)

03-Oct-17
Great story and write up Paul! Thanks for taking the time write it up and share it with us!

03-Oct-17
I very much enjoyed this read Paul. Thanks !

03-Oct-17
2018 challenge again Paul with recurve?

03-Oct-17
Paul, I do have a very nice piece of osage that is about 3/4s there if you really want to "go native"! You can probably be shooting arrows off of it in a day or so...

03-Oct-17
Rick, that might depend on how much I really want an elk in the freezer ie, stick or training wheels! Next year I will be hunting OTC units with a lot more competition.

Tavis, Not sure I could do any better but will stick with the Great Plains bow. Shot execution is the key, and I failed that in the " 5 second moment of truth."

04-Oct-17
Here is something interesting concerning the above elk pictures, above, as to when these different bulls came by the camera:

August 16, Time 5:45

Sept 4 Time 5:43

Sept 9 Time 5:47

the only problem is that the wind and currents are very unstable at that time and it is very hard to set up and be in the right place and the right time without be detected.

04-Oct-17
2018 challenge again Paul with recurve?

10-Oct-17
Awesome story and pictures as always Paul. I missed this earlier while I was on my own hunt. Enjoyed reading it through very very much. Your stories are always a pleasure and make me imagine and long for my next trip to the woods. Good luck on the whitetails and good luck on your goose hunts this winter! Thanks for sharing this with us!

10-Oct-17

Justin, I have this elk picture on my screen saver. Guess where my thoughts will be for the next 11 months? Thanks for the nice note. Oh wait, it is only 10 months and 20 days, 14 hours, 10 minutes, and 48 seconds, 47, 46, 45, 44, etc. Paul

10-Oct-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Paul, I have this picture on my home screen:) I only have to wait 9 more days to chase elk with Kia but my thoughts are always on mule deer! How sad life would be without dreams to chase! Best wishes!

10-Oct-17
Justin, check out the dates, Sept 4th, 2017, on both trail camera pictures. What are the chances this would happen. Paul

10-Oct-17
Wow! That is crazy, only a couple of hours a part in fact!

05-Mar-18
Well, since some of you are going stir crazy with cabin fever, and posting some old Posts from way back, I thought I would dig one of my last elk hunts out for your entertainment. A cure for cabin fever, well it can not hurt. my best, Paul

05-Mar-18
This is an all-time thread. Thanks for bringing it back up Paul!

05-Mar-18
Definitely one of my favorites Paul! Thanks for bringing it back!

05-Mar-18
Thanks for resurrecting this hunt, Paul! What a great job you do of documenting your day-by-day adventures! Excellent story and pics!

I never get tired of looking at the heads in that Meeker Hotel ;^)

Best of Luck, Jeff

25-Jul-18

Here we go again. Paul

25-Jul-18
SWEEET!!!!!

25-Jul-18
Loved rereading this one. You're an inspiration, man. Looking forward to this years stories.

25-Jul-18
Paul please continue on the recurve bow elk hunt quest for 2018.

• Sitka Gear