goelk 27-Oct-17
jims 27-Oct-17
stick n string 27-Oct-17
cnelk 27-Oct-17
Rayzor 30-Oct-17
Matt 30-Oct-17
BTM 31-Oct-17
25-Sep-17
This is probably a dumb question but worth asking. Is it legal to call in elk to photograph? I read some good advice to do some post season scouting and would love to bring the camera out into the field to do some photography. I don't think it's considered harassing wildlife and I wouldn't mean to disrupt hunters either. I guess I could take advantage of the break between CO's archery season and first rifle.

25-Sep-17
Yes it's legal.

But I did once find out that you can't call an elk in Rocky Mountain National Park. Ranger just asked me to stop and said it was against the rules. Man, I had them bulls fired up. LOL.

25-Sep-17
I know in NM it's legal as long as you're not knowingly interfering with someone's legal hunt. I call to elk all the time.

25-Sep-17
JMO, it would be poor form and probably a lot more dangerous than necessary to be out taking pics during a rifle season, unless you were calling for a friend with a rifle tag, of course.

And it's worth remembering that the state gives those animals a little time off for a reason.

I don't know if calling them would cross a line into harassment; sure might, because the calling is a deliberate attempt to influence their behavior and you're not doing it as part of a legal Hunting act. But it can't be illegal to be in the woods with a camera. Just tread lightly. Think how you'd feel if you were a rifle season hunter and somebody was tromping around, riling up the Elk in your chosen area, and behave accordingly.

25-Sep-17
When used to archery moose hunt the week before the end of bow and opening of rifle a ton of rifle hunters would show up early set their camps and then wander around calling to scout for the next week they didn't give a hoot that I was out there trying to fill my bow tag !!!!

25-Sep-17
Most assuredly NOT LEGAL in national parks. Irrationally intolerant and retentive NPS rangers consider it "altering the animal's natural behavior" and will happily write you a citation for doing so.

I have also "heard" that it is an awesome exercise in fun-ness!

Pete

25-Sep-17
Personally, I think it's not that great of an idea due to educating the elk even more than they already are.

25-Sep-17
Life is short. If you end up educating a bull, anything he learns will be gone along with him in a few years.

The first week of October is an awesome time to be in the woods.

25-Sep-17
I say go for it.

25-Sep-17
I'm with Idyll. . . I used to spend two weeks before turkey season calling to and educating every turkey on the farms I could hunt. I found that it made them much harder to call in later, and eventually gave it up and improved my success.

25-Sep-17
Agree with Bake and Idyll to a point if you are going to do it get out and do it. I took a break as I was climbing a mountainside one early a.m. and listened to a truck stop and bugle at the gate of the three roads below me, You listened to the truck pull up and stop, doors slam, and two bugles, no answer, and slam they were off again, to the next gated road took them about 7 minutes and slam bugle bugle slam they were off again. happened three times and then they raced off the the next area I assume. All they accomplished was annoying me and causing elk to clam up for the next week.

yes it is legal and would be fun to do but get out and do it, don't do the drive by bugle thing. grrrr, guess I needed to vent a little sorry.

oz

25-Sep-17

Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo
Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo
Two nights after I shot my bull I went to a ridge to take pics and practice my bugling. I ended up calling in a bull to 60 or 70 yards. Unfortunately Ike was no where to be found. I think he was whispering to a grizzly.

25-Sep-17
Another one that prefers not to educate elk anymore than I have to. They get enough of that from the hordes running through the woods for a month tooting mews and bugles every 15 sec.

I also enjoy getting back in the woods after I've tagged out, but I leave my diaphragms at home.

25-Sep-17
When a bull is cranked up and in a rutting frenzy, I doubt they remember much...

25-Sep-17
"Personally, I think it's not that great of an idea due to educating the elk even more than they already are. "

Agreed

25-Sep-17
I say go for it. The week between Colorado archery and rifle season is a great time.

26-Sep-17

Surfbow's embedded Photo
Surfbow's embedded Photo
I did it up in RMNP a few years back, trying to show some out-of-state friends some elk. Holy moly did the bulls respond!

26-Sep-17
I can't help but grin at the mixed comments.

26-Sep-17
Doing it before season would be ignorant. I really doubt that calling a little to a bull after season will educate him for next season. Don't harp on the same bull day after day but get out and have fun so long as you're not messing with someone else's hunt. I just spent a week in a CO otc unit loaded with hunters. I never saw one hunter more than 600 yards from the truck and never saw a hunter carrying a bugle much less heard them use it. Bulls were responding for me and I concluded pressure and scent educate them more than calling. I called in a good 6x to 60 yards before he saw my buddy sitting in direct sun light, arrrgggg. The bull left but continued to exchange bugles for some time as I followed him.

26-Sep-17
I like to honk my truck horn and make them bugle.

26-Sep-17
I like calling to calfs to "educate" them early. Haha just kidding. I just like hearing the cows and calfs talk to each other. Eeeooo

27-Oct-17
WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WhATS BB THOUGHS

27-Oct-17
Calling bulls without a weapon would certainly be good practice and also a great way to see what bulls may be available in any particular unit. I've been tempted to do it in RMNP. I'm pretty sure if you get off the beaten path you wouldn't get caught but not sure about the legality in a national park. You may get Ranger's attention if doing it along roads and highly visible areas.

27-Oct-17
I like to eat bugles while reading you guys' elk threads

27-Oct-17
Its only illegal if you use the 'Roundup Bugle'

30-Oct-17
LOL Stick and String. Haven't had or thought of those in years. Used to love those things.

30-Oct-17
"Personally, I think it's not that great of an idea due to educating the elk even more than they already are."

I tend to agree, the hunting equivalent of peeing in the pool.

31-Oct-17
Another vote for not educating them. As to whether the elk will forget everything by next fall, I've never seen data on that. Wonder how you'd prove it one way or another.

• Sitka Gear