kscowboy 26-Sep-17
Chief 419 26-Sep-17
Forest bows 26-Sep-17
kscowboy 26-Sep-17
Franklin 27-Sep-17
Spiral Horn 30-Sep-17
26-Sep-17
Good morning,

I realize this is the African Forum but figured this crew would be the most knowledgeable regarding my inquiry.

We just got word from our taxidermist in Scotland that our 2 shoulder mount stag and our 2 European mount stag are ready to be shipped. We need to import these either through a broker or ourselves. Does anyone have any experience getting stuff back from Europe? We've done plenty through Africa but don't want to pay a bunch of unnecessary fees to an import broker if we could easily do it ourselves--especially with it now being completed taxidermy. We've used Coppersmith in the past with Africa but they do not come through the Denver port of entry, which would be very feasible for us.

Thanks!

26-Sep-17
My roe deer from france came right to my door from the taxidermy

26-Sep-17
Like Scotland, France is a "clean country" for importing, per one of our taxidermists here in the states. Interesting, Forest. Did USFWS have to get involved? Certification from a vet?

26-Sep-17
Someome will need to file customs forms at the very least. Coppersmith is well known but likely the most expensive broker out there. If you decide on using a customs broker, do some price checking. My broker was significantly cheaper than Coppersmith.

26-Sep-17
I belive the taxidermy took care of that. I did nothing extra. Not sure

26-Sep-17
We are communicating with Jonas Brothers, as they are in Denver and that is a desirable port of entry. Probably go this route.

27-Sep-17
Certain animals require special handling to prevent importing a disease. These usually go through a broker then a shop that has a USDA permit to handle such...ex. taxidermist. You don`t have this issue so it should be no problem. We have picked up crates right at the airport.

30-Sep-17

Spiral Horn's Link
Generally, all sport hunted wildlife must be imported through a USFWS Designated Port of Entry (airports with a USFWS Office on site that can inspect what is being imported) - I've attached a link.

Have done this myself thru BWI -- suggest calling FWS office to make appointment to join you for inspection of your trophies once receiving notice they've arrived. Brokers have on-site offices and all players know each other, so they get it done easily.

Of course you're importing already mounted (not green) trophies -- so, I'd suggest calling the FWS office and ask if the they need inspection.

My 2 cents

• Sitka Gear