ahunter55 18-Oct-17
tonyo6302 19-Oct-17
recurve86 19-Oct-17
lawdy 19-Oct-17
stealthycat 19-Oct-17
Quailhunter 19-Oct-17
GF 20-Oct-17
27-Sep-17
I have been a die for all trad guy for 45 years. My only compound bow was a Bear Polar LTD. back in 1980. Now that I have completed my second season in Colorado I find shooting Midwestern white tails from a tree stand at 10 yards is vastly different from elk and mulies in the west. I need direction in the selection of a new bow as well the proper set up and accessories. One of the reasons for the change is shooting 80 pound longbows has taken its toll on my shoulders and a reduction in poundage is a given.

27-Sep-17
IMO.....don`t buy new. Next to a car, a bow is next in line for depreciation....haha Accessories have also gone out of sight in price....they have $400 pin sights now....I would go for a year old fully outfitted gently used bow....make will be a personal choice.

27-Sep-17
Why not just shoot a 50# reflex/deflex longbow?

If you decide to go with wheels, I would only buy a compound that has adjustable yokes. Makes for tuning soooo much easier.

I will only own a compound that has these. Adjust the bow for center shot, arrow level, centered on burger hole. Yoke tune for lateral adjustments during broadhead tuning.

Visit a local pro shop. Shop around, find a good one. It's like finding a good auto mechanic. Many aren't all that good.

27-Sep-17
Blind Dog. Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I will add that i bought a BowTech Fuel compound. I absolutely love that thing. The one thing to keep in mind is that the bow i bought is approx 32' long. The bad thing is, using yarn silencers, makes it tough sometimes, to see the pin at draw, due to the sharp angle of the string. I tried all other silencers, but none made that bow quieter, than yarn. I even have the yarn silencers all the way up as high as i can get them. You can see the pin well enough to get a shot off, just sometimes a strand of yarn might blur your vision a little. Another thing is, i used to be able to shoot my trad gear with any face mask, with my fingers, but with a release, that mask really affects my shooting. Really practice with mask on. Especially the cold weather, thicker masks. Good Luck.

27-Sep-17
The first thing you need to do is determine what you want to spend, from there much more help can be offered.

27-Sep-17
I should explain, my current set up is a R/D longbow 57 lbs. The shoulders is only part of the problem. Seems the ranges here in CO are longer. I had several opportunities on mule deer this season but couldn't get closer than 35 yards. I found it difficult to accurately shoot a longbow at this range. I pull 30" with a LB I assume I would have a draw length at least that with wheels, correct? What about arrow weight and broad heads? Some things don't change as I refuse to use mechanical heads. Would a conventional head such as a Snuffer or Zwickey Delta perform well? What about releases? I have not used one in 35 years. I assume the technology has improved.

27-Sep-17
Converting from trad to modern, one's draw length typically shortens a bit.

A good pro shop is your best bet. Test drive all the gear including releases.

My go-to arrow is a Black Eagle Deep Impact, 250 and 350 (skinny arrows) tipped with a sharp 125 g. broadhead that shoots the same as fieldpoints. Total arrow weight of 425-450 g. Skinny arrows will drift less in windy conditions. My release is the Tru-Fire Hardcore Buckle Black Foldback Max Release. Folds back when not needed, US made, and the company offers a very good warranty.

Last year Pat did an interview about bow tuning. Good info that addresses broadhead choices for trad vs modern bows too.

27-Sep-17
If western mountain hunting is the default for what type of bow you are looking for, I would probably choose a Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34 or Carbon Defiant 34. The lighter weight would be a blessing in the mountains IMO. The cams on these bows are smooth drawing and plenty fast. Would serve you well everywhere you hunt.

27-Sep-17
My draw length increased by almost 2" when I made the switch to a compound. Unless you shoot your trad bows Olympic-style, you'll definitely increase draw length when switching to a vertical, upright form.

Try different ones and you'll find one that "feels right". I started with a Mathews, shot it ok, then traded for a used Bowtech for a backup. That Bowtech shoots much better for me and is now my primary bow.

27-Sep-17
There's a guy who goes by Firewater who has my old compound and is looking to sell it (PM me if you want the whole story). I don't think he's sold it yet, anyway...

But first, decide how you're going to use the bow - I chose one that was pretty fast, but very forgiving - long ATA and all that. Shot it like Da Bomb, because it was basically a target bow in camo duds. And mostly (out here) I sit in trees waiting for whities to come by. Then I tried a week of hauling it up from 8600 to around 11,000 feet every day, and I'll never do that again - even if the drop-away HADN'T frozen up in a snowstorm and cost me an Elk. It was fine in a tree, but way too heavy for a ridge.

If I had to replace one of my bows with another wheelie...

I'd be looking for something on the light/compact end of the scale;

The point about being able to let down without aggravating your shoulder is a really good one - those fast cams are HARSH.

But speed probably isn't your be-all, end-all, anyway, and if you laser it, the trajectory doesn't matter - your arrow will still get there quicker than a longbow, and that's what 30 and 40-yard pins are for....

Last thought - Magnus Stinger 100s flew PERFECTLY out of that rig.

27-Sep-17
Don't guess what you draw length should be. Have it measured accurately, wingspan divided by 2.5 gives us pro-shop guys a place to start. We usually end up slightly shorter than that number when all is said and done.

Most long-time trad guys feel right at home shooting a T-Handle thumb release. There just aren't many "bad" releases out there right now.

Best advise I can give is to buy from your local pro-shop, whatever brand that may be. Most pro-shops will treat you better if you buy there stuff verses buying on-line and then asking the pro-shop for help setting it up.

27-Sep-17
Blind Dog, where do you live? There are several fine bowshops along the Front Range.

And I second the "go shoot some bows" advice. Every time I've done that, I'd gone home with a different bow than I expected to buy when I walked in, and been happier for it.

27-Sep-17
I haven't tried the "traditional" broadheads out of my setup, as they are just too heavy for the spine of arrows that I shoot. I believe Chuck Adams took his Super Slam with Zwickey Eskimo's (course bows were quite a bit slower back then) but with a tuned bow, I can't see why they wouldn't work for ya. Good luck!

27-Sep-17
You will need a longer bow with a 30" DL. They are more stable and shoot better anyway. I have a Hoyt Carbon Defiant 34. really smooth shooter but not the fastest.

I would really recommend Easton Axis arrows, blazer vanes, with a 125gr BH. For a fixed blade at longer distances look at a wac'em triton if you can't get others to fly well.

27-Sep-17
if you can find a long ata bow anymore you can still shoot fingers if you want. Don't know if you can even find a 39"+ compound any more. I don't know why you couldn't shoot trad broadheads. Just shoot a heavy arrow 500+ grains and keep the speed down. Just got to shoot a bunch of them and the bow will pick you. I agree on light. I have been carting my 10+ lb prime alloy around for several years and I think I am finally tired of the weight. It is basically a full on 3d hunter rig with long stab and sidebar plus a quiver and heavy sight and rest. Bow itself is ok, but the rest of it....hmm. Talked to another guy at the trailhead from colorado springs that had just converted to a compound this year just to get longer range. I do love carrying a trad rig, just wish i could shoot one better.

27-Sep-17
Since I haven't had experience with a compound since the early 2000's here's my thinking on the issue. I missed a giant of a mule deer buck this year with my recurve at about 40 yards, like 200+ ....Then I hiked down the canyon and passed another hunter who shot one at 70 yards. I thought to myself, if more hunters used recurves/longbows for mule deer we all might be able to hunt them over the counter! Chew on that one a couple years from now when you finally get a hard to draw tag that might not have to be so tough to draw if we would stop the technology bus somewhere before it's too late. Just my 2 cents...best of luck whatever you decide to use.

27-Sep-17
I dunno Michael, but I know it got very discouraging to be within 60 yards of four bucks that always hung out together six different times and not be able to close the distance cause I was out of cover. Many times I thought of the Prime centergy sitting on the porch in the case, but the next morning, is grab the Tribe Halo. I did miss the small 150" buck that was with them twice... I shoot a lot of stick bows, and actually found the prime bows to hold their claims, easier to draw and to keep the pin on the target longer then you can with most bows. I had five Hoyt pro shooters tell me they almost went with Prime this year, and two Mathew's shooter did switch to Prime.

Lots of guys are shooting Treesharks, Muzzy Phantoms, Kudu Points out of their compounds. It's no biggie if that's what you want to do. I was gonna shoot Kudu Points out of my Prime this year.

27-Sep-17
I have a Hoyt Carbon Matrix I am wanting to trade for a Traditional bow?

27-Sep-17
I'd find a reputable, and we'll stocked Archery Shop and shoot several bows, especially Mathews, Hoyt, and Prime (especially the Prime Centergy) before making any decisions on what to purchase. I'd go as far as suggest shooting an Elite too.

If possible, meaning the shop has several of these brands in stock, shoot them blindfolded. Then select the bow that feels BEST for you.

I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with PRIME, they're in class of their own.

Good luck.

27-Sep-17
My compounds are old school laminated limb two wheelers.finger shooters.PSE,Jennings,martins.still get the job done.

27-Sep-17
I forgot to add that yoir shoulders will appreciate the high let off on today's compounds, as well as you won't need more than 50-60# to successfully take MOST of today's big game animals.

27-Sep-17
I have shot both for 40 plus years. If you still want to shoot fingers and set the bow up somewhat like a LB or recurve look for a Mathews Conquest that is 4 or 5 years old. Great finger bows and you will get the let-off and good performance. I anchor a bit differert then most with a compound so I draw over 28"s with my recurves and only 27.5"s with a compound. I shoot my compound with a release as well. Any good broadhead will be fine as long as the bow is tuned. I shoot 175 grain VPA out of both my recurves and compounds. I should also add both my shoulders are shot and I still kill a lot of critters with my recurves that are 42-46#s and I am confident out to 40 yards or so with my recurves but can stretch that to 60 yards with my compound. As has been said go to a local shop and shoot a few bows and see what ya like and what feels good to you. Shawn

27-Sep-17
I have a Mathews Ovation 40" ATA that would be great for finger shooting. Its in excellent condition. If you're interested shoot me a PM.

28-Sep-17
All the above replies are the reason I'm glad I shoot a longbow. There is just way to much "stuff" to buy and could go wrong. Plus, I like getting within 25 yards of what I'm hunting, if I wasn't able to do that, I'd opt for a gun.

28-Sep-17
If you have bad shoulders ! I would look for a single wheel with a cam. Something similar to bowTech diamonds Black Ice. The black ice is probably a hard one to fine now. But I have had for them and they are the easiest on the shoulders. I have two bad shoulders and I'm still able to shoot the black ice. There's a lot of bows out there that are used and in the category of one wheel. Best thing is to go to a bow shop and try out a some. It's going to be a change from Trad gear, you're not going to find a pound and a half to 2 pound bow. And carring that compound bow might give your shoulder just as much troubles. Being a Trad Archer, you are ready know you don't have to have that much speed to make a pass-through. And if you pick the right compound bow, you may still be able to shoot instinctively. But if you get too shorter of one there may be way too much pinch on the fingers.

DS

01-Oct-17
Oh the humanity.

01-Oct-17
Hoyt

01-Oct-17
Don't understand why anybody would want to skip the compound and go right to a gun, I hate guns, but you can always post all your kills here, seems its a gunsite as well!lol

01-Oct-17
"I forgot to add that yoir shoulders will appreciate the high let off on today's compounds, as well as you won't need more than 50-60# to successfully take MOST of today's big game animals."

Glad to see that compounds are finally catching up!

'Cuz a #60 recurve has been borderline overkill since long before my time....

Funny how sometimes people Just Don't Get It: One guy makes the point that tags would be easier to draw if Hunters had to hunt longer and harder for their shots (and that those opportunities should be expected to become harder to draw as technology allows for longer and longer shots, especially since more people will judge themselves capable of making those shots and more animals will be wounded and lost, owing to all those things that happen more often as range is extended).... and the next guy says "I dunno, brother - when I couldn't get into range with a lower tech weapon, I sure couldn't help but wish I'd had something more up to date so that I could have closed the deal."

"Trad" guys want to close the deal as much as anybody else; they're just generally interested in making the hunt more about hunting skills than shooting prowess.

Not that that has anything to do with the OP, of course....

I don't follow such things at all, but has Hoyt dropped the Reflex line? Seems like they always kept one finger-shooter model in the line-up because of Chuck Adams and his (last I knew) iron-willed commitment to keeping his fingers on the string.

Maybe the OP could find one o' those?

01-Oct-17
Shop & shop used. I bought two used $800 Darton Ex Vegas bows for $75 (2012 & is my hunter now) & $150 that is my 18 yr old G-sons all around bow. My son & other 20 yr old G-son bought Hoyts, new, last year models for $300 each normally 800+. Find a bow model you like & start looking classifieds & Ebay.. Oh, I also shoot a 50# Longbow with my 60# Dartons.

02-Oct-17
A few years back I bought a Hoyt Carbon Element. It was a 2013 model and I got it on craigslist for 800 w/site and drop away rest. There were three reasons I bought it. 1. I wanted the additional range for my out West hunts. 2. My shoulders, hands, and elbows where giving me issues. Shooting my recurve only made it worse. 3. I was so busy/distracted with other life issues that I didn't have the desire to put the time into shooting my recurve.

I chose the Carbon Element because IMO it had the smoothest draw. I made some life changes that helped reduce some of my physical issues and plan on shooting my recurve for whitetails. That said, I used my Hoyt for my recent Idaho elk hunt.

Another option, is look at Onieda bows? I have a Strike Eagle I set up for bowfishing. It's almost like shooting a recurve, super smooth, and forgiving.

02-Oct-17
MichaelArnett, glad you missed that buck. You flung an arrow beyond your effective range with your stickbow. Common trad sin, yet trad guys love to poke at modern bow shooters who do the same.

If your dream came true and everybody was required to hunt with longbows and recurves, we'd end up with a whole lot more wounded animals running around because most don't have the ability and dedication (and time) to become proficient with stick bows. And they'd still fling wild arrows at long ranges.

I truly respect folks who can put their egos and vanity aside and switch to modern bows if life changes affect their ability to confidently hunt with a stick. Blind dog, PM sent. I'm working on a feature article on this very topic.

02-Oct-17
I've been hunting with recurves exclusively for the last 15 years or so but will soon be mixing it up with a compound. Like the OP I am interested in the opinions of others and appreciate the constructive feedback. Keep the advice coming. Thanks!

02-Oct-17
I shoot both, hunt with both and enjoy both. Really like my Hoyt compound

I got professional coaching with the trad bow, Rod Jenkins, helped out tremendously. I don't have the time or space (recently moved into an apartment) to stay as dialed in with my trad bow as I'd like, so when hunting with that I limit myself to 15 yards. To each their own!

02-Oct-17
I hunt with both my go to compound is a Oneida black eagle. And my go to recurve is my PCH widow. You can shoot the Oneida with fingers and is the best shooting compound that has ever been made. And all the deer I have taken with it didn't mind the noise it made.

02-Oct-17
I agree with others. Shoot a few and see what you like. Personally I shoot a hoyt defiant. Also, I shoot a single fixed pin set at 25yds, a release, no peep or kisser. I try to keep it simple and think a trad guy might like that as well.

02-Oct-17
I love my Mathews Creed

02-Oct-17
I have been in your shoes. Shoot a heavy arrow like a pile driver, 150 grain broadhead, find a proshop to help with draw length, tuning. Your range should increase to 60 yards but not as much fun. With heavy arrows you will have big time penetration. Embrace the change, you have little choice. Seems odd to use a compound at 5 yards. Good luck.

02-Oct-17
Not to hijack a thoroughly side-tracked thread, but... LOL

As mentioned earlier, I dabbled with a compound for a few seasons - same reason(s) that many give - busy job, long hours, 2 1/2 hour/day commute, 2 kids, a wife and basically nowhere to practice once I had to let my club membership lapse.

Funny thing, though - my set-up let me hold on "zero" out to about 23-24 yards and never get outside the standard +/- 3" trajectory window that riflemen use. And without a range finder, I found myself missing high and low on the 3Ds at about the same ranges where I lost confidence in my group size with a recurve - actually got a lower score with the compound because at ranges were I started getting a lot of 5s, I was getting perfectly aligned zeroes. Lost 3 or 4 brand-new carbons that day, to boot and decided that I probably can't afford to shoot 3D with a compound without a rangefinder and I'm just not interested.

Anyway, for all the TradGuy complaints about the "huge" effective range advantage of a modern bow, I never actually saw it, myself. Without a good rangefinder reading I don't know how people figure they can shoot any farther than a good hand with a recurve or LB.....

Oh, yeah - Oneida - if it's trad enough for the Wensel brothers...

03-Oct-17
Lots of good compounds out there. I took four deer/elk hunters this year, everyone of them had 60 yard pins and shot very well at 60 yards, and beyond. Huge advantage over my selfbow.

03-Oct-17
I'm in the same boat. Draw shoulder is shot. A fella could switch to lefty trad but I've about decided to go to a 50# compound. Gonna check a few out this afternoon before the AL Wildcard game. Thought about going to a rifle but I've shot a bow so long I'm afraid the change would be to much. Getting old pretty much sucks but I suppose there's good stuff somewhere that goes along with that.

Wapitidung

03-Oct-17
If it were me, I would shoot some and choose a good compromise between weight and noise of all the bows that fit me well. 60# max with about a 8-9 gpp arrow of at least 29" with 4" fletching , keeping the speed down a bit and the use of 4" vanes or feathers will eliminate most all of any tuning and stability issues that fill bowsite every year.

17-Oct-17
I will always be hardcore traditional but I had to switch too and I recommend to look for a long A to A with the highest brace you can find and believe me their longest bow is barely considered a short stickbow its like hunting with a kids bow... but its what I liked going straight from a stick to wheels,,, also make sure your sight has a level because if your like me then you liked to cant the stickbow which is a no no using a compound.

I stuck with feathers and went to 4" and still like my arrows heavy so I'm shooting a 53# compound and using 480 Acc's with weedwacker line- local pro shop wanted me shooting 375, I dropped 10lbs in draw going to a wheels bow..... my experience hunting with wheels is I will say as a stickbow shooter for 31 yrs I feel the wheels are very effective and they keep me out there but wheels will never come close to the fun of target shooting roving even 3D's with a stickbow I don't even bother with wheels and its not a dig towards wheels its they are so freaking accurate and its almost too easy to hit dimes all day and stumping forget it cause its lost arrows or blown out inserts and nocks 1/2 the time, or you need a pry bar to get your arrow unstuck.

this last one is more personal and just me and how I feel but when I had success with the stickbows it felt more rewarding i felt I really earned it and deserved it I couldn't wait to show off my deer,,, with my compound I don't get that racing heart nor do i feel like I even hunted the animal I feel more like a sniper just making a kill again I can draw the bow back 2 minutes before the deer even gets into range its unbelievable how much easier it is compared to stickbows ,,,, going from sticks to wheels my personal feeling is it makes it way too easy no challenge at all that I can find but after shoulder surgery I sadly have no choice.

as far as brand from stickbow guy to stickbow guy who I bet doesn't have all the tools and a bow press like me I highly recommend buying a compound brand that the closest pro shop near you carrys because when your peep turns or you find the cams lean, or you need a new string and 200 other things that can go wrong that pro shop will be a savior.

17-Oct-17
"Since I haven't had experience with a compound since the early 2000's here's my thinking on the issue. I missed a giant of a mule deer buck this year with my recurve at about 40 yards, like 200+ ....Then I hiked down the canyon and passed another hunter who shot one at 70 yards. I thought to myself, if more hunters used recurves/longbows for mule deer we all might be able to hunt them over the counter! Chew on that one a couple years from now when you finally get a hard to draw tag that might not have to be so tough to draw if we would stop the technology bus somewhere before it's too late. Just my 2 cents...best of luck whatever you decide to use. "

Definitely agree with you in principle, but that's a little like saying "if no one would steal anything than we wouldn't need to lock our doors." It requires change from everyone which will never happen. Also, shooting a recurve at 40 yards, is the equivalent time lag to shooting a compound at 70 yards, but not as easy to do accurately. I know, because I also shoot a recurve in my yard regularly out to 50+ yards. So you've limited your technology, but then you're definitely stretching it shooting at that mulie at 40 yards.

If the OP wants to extend his range, I would agree that his thinking is sound in moving to a compound.

17-Oct-17
Oneida eagle. You can shoot one with fingers. with out sights and pick one up used for around $200.

17-Oct-17
I still don't understand the rationale that hunting muleys would be OTC if more guys were flinging arrows beyond their effective range with longbows/recurves.

If it means fewer people would be bowhunting, maybe yes, maybe no. Maybe just a lot more crappy trad shooters than we already have now. Michael, you really need to get off the trad pulpit. You come off like the drunk-turned-preacher.

18-Oct-17
alot more crappy trad shooters than we have now?

are you serious nah i think your statistics are bias maybe your a failed stick shooter yourself or you tried it out and first thing you moaned about was it was too hard holding all that weight back... but talk to any pro shop owner and all the hunters you can find who will answer honestly and ask about all the times they had to help find badly hit animals or they even made the bad shot themselves and lord and behold what BOW was it shot with find out who is really the majority when it comes to crappy out there these days,, seriously ask every hunter "how many deer have you shot and never found" simple as that... 100's of modern archery newbs who never even held a stickbow walking in the 1000's of proshops around the country on a daily basis buying those wheel bow starter packages , jeez just hang in any cabelas or bass pro near the archery counter and see who is looking and buying what "type" of bows for their VERY FIRST bow.

theres tons of crappy stick shooters I can't agree with you more but most crappy stickbow shooters never even leave the 3D course which unfortunately those folks are why good stickbow hunters are judged by people like you but most serious trad hunters who stay within their confident shot range are beyond lethal,, ask the guy who owns this website he has been on both sides of that fence and killed more with his stickbows than you can dream of doing with your wheel bow.

"Help a trad guy choose a compound" re-read the topic,,,, if you have a smart comment then why did you even post?

18-Oct-17
Tajue17: Jaquomo has shot and killed a LOT of elk with traditional bows for the last couple of decades. He has recently picked up the compound. His opinions are based on many years of experience and knowledge. He is also an outdoor writer, a very knowledgeable one.

18-Oct-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Whoa, Sparky, have a little too much coffee this morning? I've been shooting and hunting with trad bows for over 50 years. Competitive 3-D, big game, small game, fish, U.S., Canada, Australia. I posted my "constructive" advice further up in the thread but perhaps you don't read threads before you post.

My comment was directed toward Michael Arnette, who suggested if everybody shot stickbows the world would be a better place. All hunters take wild shots with all weapons. But from my many decades of shooting with other trad shooters, my honest opinion is that more than half aren't consistently accurate enough at even 20 yards to be hunting with them.

You may want to learn the facts before you start judging people. But then, what fun would that be?

18-Oct-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
1-I shot stick bows from 1956 thru 1974 2-then Compounds thru 2014 3-2014 & currently a 50# Longbow & a 60# Darton Compound. GO TO A SHOP even if its a few hours away & preferably with a place to "shoot" bows. Try some different models. Buy used, I have 2, $800 + Dartons bought used for $75 & $150. Son bought TWO $800+ Hoyts new, model change for $300. IF you plan on fingers get a long Axel to Axel. If release you can go shorter. Poundage. Any compound over 50#s should get what you want but if 60#s with like a 70% letoff is available, I would go with that. Get a 50#60#. Ive bowhunted out west 30+ times & what you say is true the majority of the time. I enjoy shooting both & ALL of it is Archery. Oh, my draw on 50# Longbow is just under 28" & my compounds are & have always been 29" draw (front of bow). GET IT CHECKED with a compound as using those back muscles seems to be automatic compared to Traditional. Good luck

19-Oct-17
I have had to qualify my bow shooting accuracy in both Maryland, and in Virginia, for special hunts or state park hunts. .. ..

.. ..

The last time was at Marine Corps Base Quantico. You had to shoot two of three field point tipped arrows, into a 12 inch bullseye, from an elevated stand. The shot distance was 25 yards. If you were successful, 2 of 3 arrows, then you were allowed to hunt the woods around quarters and the PX/Commissary, east of I-95.

The day I qualified, over half of the compound shooters failed.

I saw the same in Maryland. Over half of the compound shooters could not hit two of three arrows, into a 12 inch bullseye, at 25 yards, using field points.

When I qualified to hunt with Suburban Whitetail Management of Northern Virginia, the test was harder. I had to shoot broadheads, hit 2 of 3 in a six inch bullseye at 20 and 30 yards. A lot of archers could not do that.

Anyway, not trying to start an argument, but my experience with archers pretty much coincides with Jaquomo.

"Everyone shoots a 300 on Bowsite."

- Serbian Shark, Bowsite, circa 2008

19-Oct-17
I've shot a recurve for the last 6 season. Was anticipating drawing a good tag so I went out in search of a compound. Shot everything from Hoyt, Mathews, bowtech, bear and obsession. Walked away with a Mathews halon 32. Just felt right for me. If I had a bum shoulder or wanted the absolute easiest drawing bow i would recommend finding a older bowtech liberty or even maybe a black ice. Both were real smooth and a consistent draw without and hard load up. Take it for what it's worth but ya need to get a few in ur hands and try them out.

19-Oct-17
In NH, anyone 68 and older can use a crossbow. They are outselling compounds 2 to 1. The crazy thing is that trad bows are on the upswing. A friend of mine makes bows and is very busy, along with the local bow shop selling trad bows. A lot could be the cost. A compound or crossbow is big bucks and is obsolete in a year or so. A good trad bow might cost $500, but they don't change. My longbow was made by Tim Meigs in 1985. Still going strong.

19-Oct-17
I have an Xpedition Xplorer - simply amazing

Used to shoot trad and my last compound was a Mathews Drenalin ... its an antique compared to this Xplorer

19-Oct-17
I shot nothing but a recurve for about 10 years. Was ate up with it. Didn’t feel that I was consistent enough so I bought a compound. I sure wanted to be good enough but I wasn’t. Killed deer and hogs with it. Found a PSE Stinger X that didn’t break the bank and enjoy shooting it also. Lots of strong opinions in archery. Find what suits you and go with it.

20-Oct-17
“I sure wanted to be good enough but I wasn’t. “

That happens to a LOT of people who buy into that Fred Asbell Crapstinctive stuff. “Just like throwing a baseball”, right?

How many people do YOU know who can throw 10 baseballs in a row through an 8 inch hole in a sheet of plywood at 20 yards???

Shooting well with sites is “easy” because you know where your arrow is going before you let it loose, and you don’t let it loose until you know that it’s going where you WANT IT to hit. It is not particularly difficult to do the same thing without sights, And once you’ve been at it long enough, it almost feels as if you don’t have to pay any particular amount of attention to what you’re doing apart from focusing on your target. But that is where you need to END UP. You don’t teach your kid to ride a bike by putting him on a unicycle.

Anyway.....

I was looking over the craigslist postings for bows, And I saw a very large number of old-school, long ATA compounds, many of which look like they would be superb choices for a finger-shooter. No, none of them would be as fast as the latest and greatest crop of speed-freaking wheelies, but I don’t believe that’s what the OP here was after in the first place, and frankly… I don’t think anybody makes these anymore.

So it just depends what you really want out of the deal. If all you’re looking for is something that will be a bit easier on your shoulders and which will give up absolutely nothing in terms of velocity/performance/trajectory compared to a good recurve, I don’t know what more you could really ask for.

• Sitka Gear