T Mac 01-Oct-17
T Mac 01-Oct-17
Kilduff18 01-Oct-17
T Mac 02-Oct-17
Medicinemann 02-Oct-17
T Mac 02-Oct-17
01-Oct-17
6:36 AM LIVE from NY*
Ahh it's finally here, opening morning, I'm out with my son Evan in a double stand listening to the woods come alive.

01-Oct-17
good luck

01-Oct-17

T Mac's embedded Photo
T Mac's embedded Photo
He's excited and we have a doe moving 50 yards out....come on sunrise

01-Oct-17
GL Guys!!!

01-Oct-17

T Mac's embedded Photo
T Mac's embedded Photo
Thx just had a red fox spook a doe

01-Oct-17
Good luck!

01-Oct-17
Evan drew on one doe but got busted by another.....they were heading at us nervous and turned broadside but took off before he could get a shot off. Very exciting already. Had a 4 ptr 60 yds out eating acorns

01-Oct-17
Evan Just had 6 ptr at 20 yds but shot over top of him.....buck fever baby....welcome to the club!

01-Oct-17
Just drew on a doe but she moved into thicket.... so close

01-Oct-17
Sounds like a target rich environment! Good luck

01-Oct-17
We've seen 3 young bucks and 2 does and 2 fawns it's been a great sit so far....I love early season....acorns dropping pretty good

01-Oct-17
make it happen. special times to be sure.

01-Oct-17
Just had 3 does move thru 1 is hangin back so waiting to see what she does then down for few hours before evening hunt. Meeting up with friends to have venison chili and marinated backstrap.

01-Oct-17
Done for this a.m. Will report back for evening hunt different property since wind projected to swing to west

01-Oct-17

T Mac's embedded Photo
T Mac's embedded Photo
Back out for the evening. Bow in hand and ready to go

01-Oct-17

T Mac's embedded Photo
Evan is ready!
T Mac's embedded Photo
Evan is ready!
Back out for the evening. Bow in hand and ready to go

01-Oct-17
Venison chili was great for lunch but helping us stay scent free now

01-Oct-17
All is quiet here, coming down to the wire on our opening day hunt!

01-Oct-17

T Mac's embedded Photo
T Mac's embedded Photo
All smiles Evan just shot a doe looked a bit low but good quartering away....will keep you posted on bloodtrail

01-Oct-17
Good luck hopefully all smiles at the end of the blood trail

02-Oct-17
I wanted to close out the thread with attempted recovery efforts. The shot was back with the doe quartering away, she mule kicked on impact and bolted away, one third of the arrow was sticking out. I helped a friend drag out a nice 8ptr. 3.5 hours later we took up the bloodtrail. We found no blood for 70+- yards then found some dime sized drops which I assume is where she stopped running and assessed what the hell just happened. On my hands and knees after 20 yards following blood through briar/vine thicket I jump her maybe 20' ahead around the corner from me (dammit) I crawl to her bed and there is blood soaked,dark liver and dark paunch liquid, ground where she laid down. This morning we could not locate blood and crawled through all trails in thicket but to no avail. In hindsight once we found sparse blood drops last night I should've backed out.

My impatience as a Dad wanting to find his sons deer got the best of me.

02-Oct-17
"My impatience as a Dad wanting to find his sons deer got the best of me." I think you hit the nail on the head. What will you do...... go back to hunting....or continue more tracking later on?

02-Oct-17
I am going after work as I will have 3 hours of light to search and it is a tight area where I do not want to disturb people at night knocking on doors so at least during daylight i find neighbors to be more receptive. We'll see what unfolds.

• Sitka Gear