Grubby 18-Jan-18
houndy65 18-Jan-18
GotBowAz 18-Jan-18
Herdbull 20-Jan-18
IdyllwildArcher 20-Jan-18
03-Oct-17

Herdbull's embedded Photo
This was my seventh solo bowhunt in Alaska. My pilot landed on a gravel bar and left me in a remote river valley. I could get elevated out of camp to increase visibility and increase my cow-in-heat and bull grunt calling. I called in several bulls that could not be approached further due to wind direction or thermals. My plan on this trip and pervious hunts was to range out and call out from distant hilltops to reach a greater area and then start calling from those same spots the following and then move closer to my camp in hopes of bring them not only closer to me but reducing my meat packing distance. The Pied Piper affect!

03-Oct-17

03-Oct-17
Looking forward to this thread, Mike. Bring it on!

03-Oct-17

Bulls I called in.

03-Oct-17

03-Oct-17
I'm with T-Roy.... bring it on man!

03-Oct-17
I started out one morning on my razor back ridge and heard splashing in a pond at the base of my lookout. After glassing a bit, I finally located the cause. I bull with huge brow tines was drinking and racking his antlers through the pond water. He was a good bull, and I planned to stay with him as long as I could. I started a long drawn out cow-in-heat series of calls followed by short bull grunts. I wanted him to get the idea there was a receptive cow that did not appreciate the immature bull that was with her. Noticing that the morning’s thermals could reach the bull below me, I moved back down the ridge to give myself room to work in the cross wind and thermals. Shortly, I heard brush breaking indicating he was on my ridge and moving up. I prepared to do battle with this bull and moved into slight opening on the ridge top and looked for opening in which to move forward or sideways should I need to. He came up like a steam engine and was soon 60 yards away when I made first visual of bull from the side. I turned my head away from the bull and grunted twice to make sure he knew where the subordinate bull was. The great beast immediately started glunking with every step and posturing his huge rack. He turned toward me on the ridge top at 30 yards giving me full impression of his thick and wide brow tines as I squatted in the cover. At twenty yards he turned a little left to get around a spruce tree and stepped over a dead fall, giving me time to look ahead of him to find openings. I saw one and then the other. Glancing back at the first I saw the bull’s rack already coming through. As his massive shoulder cleared the opening at 12 yards I started pulling back on my 65 pound Tall Tines recurve, reaching full draw. As the lung area was exposed, the 32 inch arrow buried to the fletching. He turned straight away and ran twenty yards where paused for a few minutes, bedded and died.

03-Oct-17

It took four hours to skin, bone out meat, and place in bags. After 12 hours of packing, mostly down hill, and ten round trips, I had my moose in camp. Mike

03-Oct-17

03-Oct-17
Outstanding. Really admire you. Gary

03-Oct-17

He had third antler with three points. The bony antler material grew on forehead, down between eyes, and half way down nose. It still had velvet on it. CRAZY! He was a fighter and probably damaged left pedicle at some point. He had a fresh hole punched in right palm near fold. His dominace and aggression cost him his life as on that day there was only room for one king of the hill!

03-Oct-17

Velvet on rack

03-Oct-17
Excellent, congratulations on the adventure.

03-Oct-17

03-Oct-17

03-Oct-17

03-Oct-17
Awesome hunt and awesome bull, Mike! Congratulations!!

03-Oct-17

03-Oct-17

After hunting moose I ready for high mountain caribou hunt for rest of trip. Weather got bad and I got socked in for days in a row in rain, snow, and fog. Did not get a caribou, but it was a great solo hunt. I tried to film a lot of it to give a hunter's eye view and plan to have a film from my last three solo hunts ready next year.

03-Oct-17

03-Oct-17
I did a pre hunt podcast on "Western Bowhunter Podcast" with South Cox and just recorded post hunt stories which should air some time after October 8th.

03-Oct-17
Thanks for sharing your hunt Mike! Congrats on a great bull!!!

03-Oct-17
Congrats!

03-Oct-17
What a great bull. How far did he die from your camp? Any bear sign near the kill as you made return trips? What day did you kill him?

03-Oct-17
Well done as usual Mike. Congrats on a great bull!

03-Oct-17
Hunting on your own in these remote areas is special and you make it look almost routine. It is not and you are a true outdoorsman and hunter. Thanks for posting your story. Enjoy the ride! C

03-Oct-17
Wow, wish I could do that but a little late for me. Admire your ability to get it done, congrats.

03-Oct-17
Mike, What a great solo trip and a fine bull moose to add to the memories. Nicely done with the stick.

03-Oct-17
Wow! That didn’t take long! Congrats on another great solo adventure and a dandy bull Mike!

03-Oct-17
Thanks for sharing here again, Mike. Absolutely, awe inspiring. Can't wait to see the film.

I talked to a pilot about possibly doing an Alaska caribou hunt solo if I couldn't find the right partner. He kind of chuckled and said, "that's going to be a whole 'nuther conversation." lol

03-Oct-17
It was less than half mile from camp, but was a lot of steep down hill. I used two trekking poles which gave releif to arthritic knees. Took about an hour each round trip. I did not see any bears on kill. five days after. Its hard to get a accurate measurement of max width in field bcause one point sticks out on right palm while other might have a brow tine streching wide so hard to eye-ball. But he was at or close to 70 inches.

03-Oct-17
Badass! Thanks for posting

03-Oct-17
My hero! Awesome job and thanks for the pics!

03-Oct-17
Way to get it done!! Comgrats.

03-Oct-17
Spectacular adventure! Now that I have burned out some points, may just have to do that next year, myself. The stuff of very vivid bowhunter's dreams...

03-Oct-17
Fantastic and congratulations on a great hunt Mike!!!

03-Oct-17
Congrats Mike!

03-Oct-17
Excellent, thanks for taking us along and congrats on the bull!

03-Oct-17
Holy crap what a bull!!! Congrats! What most on here will never be able to do, you make it look and sound so easy! Well done sir!

03-Oct-17
Nice, congrats!

03-Oct-17
Great story and pics thanks for sharing!!

04-Oct-17
Thanks for sharing . Dream hunt for Me!! Hunt

04-Oct-17
Mike, What day did you kill him on? I am assuming it was mid-late September?

04-Oct-17
What a great thread.

Congrats on one hell of a Bull Moose----------->

Good luck, Robb

04-Oct-17
Congrats on the Bull Moose. Thank you for sharing. Incredible hunt. Look forward to the follow up podcast and your upcoming film. I think I will watch Primal Dreams again.

04-Oct-17
Congrats ! Thanks for sharing.

04-Oct-17
congrats just awesome

04-Oct-17
I took him Sept 10th.

04-Oct-17
Great story and pictures. Congrats on a great bull.

04-Oct-17
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

04-Oct-17
Congrats! Helluva moose.

04-Oct-17
This is fantastic, congrats

04-Oct-17
Thanks, A great bull. Doing it on your own, all the way to packing it out yourself. I done that 3 times when I lived to Alaska. You sure have my respect. Congrats!

04-Oct-17
Great stuff Mike. You're an inspiration

04-Oct-17
You solo hunters are incredible. Kudos to you and congratulations.

04-Oct-17
Very nice Mike! A great adventure to be sure! Mike

04-Oct-17
Thanks for taking us along on this hunt. Outstanding!

04-Oct-17
nicely done sir, great bull

04-Oct-17
What a whopper, congrats!

04-Oct-17
Very cool! Congrats on an awesome adventure

04-Oct-17
Wow, intense. Awesome Bull Moose!

04-Oct-17
Congrats Mike. Great bull!

04-Oct-17
Thanks for sharing Mike! Your solo trips to AK inspire me to do the same one day.

04-Oct-17
i remember reading his whitetail stories(i think it was him) in a monthly newspaper type magazine called Great Lakes Bowhunter. i always wondered what happened to him. i was prob the only person in Virginia that had that subscription. i looked forward to it every month. i loved the Camp Ripley editions. lol

04-Oct-17
Mike, Congrats on another great adventure and bull!

Look forward to the film...keep us posted!

Mark

04-Oct-17
Completely badd@ss and awesome! WOW what a bull! A big CONGRATULATIONS to you! Thanks for sharing, much respect Mike!

04-Oct-17
Absolutely incredible! Truly admire you in so many ways. Well done and looking forward to your film. Thanks for sharing:)

04-Oct-17
Awesome!! Congratulations!

I didn't notice a sidearm, spray or grizzly fencing. Do you carry spray, gun, or......

Are you even concerned with grizzlies....?

04-Oct-17
Thanks for sharing, great pictures!

04-Oct-17
Damn Mike, you are the real deal. Something for all of us to aspire to.

Congratulations on a successful adventure, and thanks for sharing.

Best of Luck, Jeff

04-Oct-17
You make it look way too easy, mike. Thanks for sharing an awe inspiring trip! You are my Hero!

04-Oct-17
Fantastic Mike. I am living vicariously through your book, and posts like these until I can talk my wife into moving back to Montana with me!

04-Oct-17
Truly amazing. Well done.

04-Oct-17
Congrats! That's one hell of a hunt and trophy!

04-Oct-17
Once again..... that was amazing. What an adventure! There are a few here who do the solo AK hunts.....but it's rare air for sure. Not only that..... you're going to have to keep adding walls in the house if you keep this up..... =D

Thanks much for sharing your hunts with us here. Always looking forward to your threads.

04-Oct-17
Unforgettable hunt! I really appreciate the story and pics.

04-Oct-17
Incredible bull ! Thanks for sharing it with us.

04-Oct-17
Mike DOES make the impossible seem normal. You don't just throw a dart at Alaska and do this. I've seen first hand the effort and passion he puts into his bow hunting and it is in the top .001% of what can be done. Well done brother, as usual!

04-Oct-17
Nice one Mike once again.

04-Oct-17
All time awesome right here. Impressive. Man I just don't know I could or want to muster that solo. Thanks for posting.

04-Oct-17
Thanks for posting and sharing, very motivating. How did the sawtooth handle the storm? I wonder about pitching on a gravel bar and if stakes worked there or weight from rocks?

04-Oct-17
Scoot- If I brought you or camera man it wouldn't be solo. HaaaHaa SNYPER31- Yes I rememer that Ripley hunt where I sat all day and killed a 140 class buck. My first articles were in Great Lakes Bowhunter, before North American Whitetail, Bowhunter, TBM etc.

04-Oct-17

The SawTooth worked well. Had to use tyvek sheets above the side I slept on to keep condensation drip off of me. I did not have a stove. Grounds squirels came under side walls to eat my cashews while I was hunting. When I got socked in, they came in while I was there and almost got dinged with a slapping arrow head.

04-Oct-17

On gravel bar , yes I had to stake tent then put stone over every cord. It held well in 30 `40 mph winds. Not sure if you can zoom photo . but tent peak is under the mountain peak agains the shale slide.

04-Oct-17

I carried Ruger Super RedHawk .454 casul. I use Bear shocker electric back country fence for meat if warrented.

04-Oct-17

Fresh sign.

04-Oct-17

Even a mountain man gets exhausted!

04-Oct-17

04-Oct-17

05-Oct-17
Congrats on another great adventure and trophy! Thanks so much for sharing with us.

05-Oct-17
Congrats! and thanks for sharing! Great Bull!

06-Oct-17
Great story, Mike! Congratulations on a fine bull and another successful adventure.

Darren

06-Oct-17
So Damn cool. There are few who could do what you did. Amazing adventure, thanks for taking us along.

06-Oct-17
All Sitka, all the time!

06-Oct-17
impressive for sure ,,once again nicely done sir

06-Oct-17
I think Mike should have his own TV show, I think we would finally have a hunting show that would truely represent true hunting, one of the very few.

06-Oct-17
I think Mike should have his own TV show, I think we would finally have a hunting show that would truely represent true hunting, one of the very few.

07-Oct-17
Wow incredible! Thanks for sharing Mike

07-Oct-17
The more I'm around Mike the more I'm impressed. A lot of folks don't realize he's not a young guy. I'm past the age of being able to do this stuff now. I did a couple similar bowhunts for alone in grizz country when I was in my 30s but not as extreme. Mike's adventures are in a whole different catagory. Just last week I had a big filling fall out of one of my molars. I called my dentist and told him I was just getting ready to leave for ten days. He said it'd probably be okay and to wait until I got back home. The day before yesterday I was eating dinner and while chewing a bite of meatloaf (nothing harsh) the remaining tooth broke right in half. It was loose but flapping in the breeze. It made me think of Mike's hunt. What would I have done in a similar situation if I was on a drop-hunt in the middle of Alaska alone? Somehow a noose of dental floss tied around the tooth and a heavy rock came to mind. Ha. But then you have to gamble with infection and maybe your own personal blood trail. These are the things you always need to consider. But if you plan/prepare for possible scenarios a small problem like a broken tooth shouldn't keep you from such a hunt. "Cowboy up" they say. My dentist made a comment that I had to consider. He said, " the bad news is you seem to be outliving your teeth." Ha. Meanwhile I'll keep hunting for whitetails and continue to go on hunts such as Mike's adventures in my dreams. Good job Mike! bw

07-Oct-17
Mike, fantastic, and thanks for bringing those adventures to the rest of us.

07-Oct-17
Great job Mike,as always I am in awe of your accomplishments.Well done

07-Oct-17
Now that sir, is a real adventure! And an amazing bull to boot!

09-Oct-17
So I am away for a few days and I missed this? Congrats! What you do cannot be overstated in the degree of difficulty (mentally and physically). Just got the pilot service booked again for 2019 in AK. Until then I look forward to another one under your belt.

09-Nov-17
Thanks Mike! Your hunt and determination is very inspiring. Thanks for Sharing. MO

09-Nov-17
Great moose & grand adventure. Been to Alaska 2 times but never solo. That would be a tough hunt. Cong's.

09-Nov-17
Not many people like Mike and Kevin Dill out there. I LOVE these adventures but have no clue how you guys go solo. I'm scared of my own shadow let alone Alaska by myself. These guys are studs.

09-Nov-17
You sir are the last of a dying breed of hunter. Yours are the ONLY type of hunting stories I will even entertain reading and completely enjoy. I am SICK TO DEATH of these so called pro hunters who spend as much time satisfying their sponsors trying to sell high $$$ equipment while most of their hunting is done on private land intensely managed for trophy animals. Yours are purest form of DIY solo hunts. I don't know how the clowns from the TSA let you on a plane as iron in your testicles must set off every metal detector for a 100 feet in all directions. You do what 95% of the rest of us hunters only dream about doing.

15-Nov-17
Mike, you sir are a legend! You need to skip a year so I can get in. They have so much repeat business its not easy to get a slot.

I do wish it would have taken you at least a few days to kill one however so we had more story.

thanks again!

michael

18-Jan-18
I just read this one again, how awesome! So much adventure to be had as a bowhunter, do it all before you run out of time...

18-Jan-18
So awesome....I love hearing about moose hunting. I really miss seeing them here in nw Minnesota

18-Jan-18
congrats on a great bull, awesome pictures and story, thank you for sharing your hunt.

18-Jan-18
Truly one of the few. So inspiring and what a stud bull! Thanks for sharing this with us.

20-Jan-18
Thank you all. Scenes from this hunt will be available later on this year as I release a film about my solo moose hunts. "As I age and mobility diminishes, what I fear the most is losing the will to be tested." Mike

20-Jan-18
Great stuff. I missed it both times it surfaced; thanks for bringing it back up Nick. Mr Mitten, you really motivate a guy. Congrats on your wonderful times afield and your successes with a bow. I really enjoyed your book and look forward to seeing your film.

• Sitka Gear