Skippy 08-Oct-17
ACB 08-Oct-17
Bear Track 11-Oct-17
rattling_junkie 12-Oct-17
Reflex 12-Oct-17
04-Oct-17

Bear Track's embedded Photo
I'm not sure if this year's moose hunt was my shortest hunt and kill or there may have been one very close in time spent hunting.

Sept. 24th me and 5 others boarded an anphib. Caravan to actually one of the fly out camps we used to own up north. Though very heavy we did get off the runway and just over an hour later landed to our destination. The group departing from there had 1 small bull. With the climate change we are experiencing, I believe you could make a strong argument that we were going to be a week early, though right on time 10 years ago. We were going to give it a shot anyhow. it was raining when we loaded the plane, and landed. I'd flown the river system, the area I chose to take a newbee (Joe) along with me many times in the past with the Super Cub, but never had my boots on the ground back in there. This was about 6 miles from the cabin we were all staying in. Our first order of business once settled in camp was to load an extra motor for the portage boat I saw sitting at the base of the rapids when we flew over while on final coming into land. I could tell by the tracks the hunters the week before had walked down there and though had fished, I felt they may have been calling from there too. Joe and I portaged the motor and fuel tank and off we went exploring. More of a test drive for the narrow river full of rocks with the water being low.

At the first bend in the river, I leaded forward and told Joe "We drew the long straw...." once I saw what was waiting for us. It looked like any other moose heaven I've seen in the past 40 years of moose hunting.

04-Oct-17

Joe and I did our recon on the river as far as we could go to the next rapids and decided to come back to very near where we got the portage boat. This is where we went in. Moose tracks were very few but the sign of feeding on the willows (stripping off the leaves) was looking promising. The birch trees that were destroyed were numerous. All got my blood surging with anticipation. The wind was swirling and I had Joe take a spot on one side of a strip of trees and I told him, I did not know what was on the other side, but we had hardly an hour to hunt before dark. I eased forward and found even more great sign and the meadow we were in would do for tonight.

I found a log to sit on, now drenched, but comfortable. This is where I chose to start my calling from.

04-Oct-17
Come on Ron, the clock is running.........:-)

04-Oct-17
HEY! You know the rules around here, you can't take longer to tell the story than the whole hunt took.

04-Oct-17

I'm mounting a bear today, and after all it's hardly a 1 hour hunt. Ha!

I start my calling and once in a while do I hear something or not? I assume with this wind, I'm hearing all the sounds a forest could make for near and hour. I know way better than to move anywhere in the last 10 minutes but I'm thinking I'm coming back here in the morning, will that old beaver house covered in thistles give me a better view and should I just ease over to have a look on such a low percentage evening hunt? I don't go 10 feet and Whack!!! A 3 inch thick birch tree starts whipping back and forth not 30 yards from me. I ease forward and can see him but he's coved with a spruce tree root I can't shoot through but he's busy doing something but I can't see what.

He turns to leave grunting now and 1/4ing away. I hit him in the last couple ribs and he does 20 yards and is rubber legging it. In seconds he's on the ground. I'm looking at his diaphragm heaving and I have to lay my hands on him as he takes his last breath. Very surreal and private thoughts and thanks go through me with my favorite animal on the planet.

04-Oct-17
That's funny Ace and you are correct.

04-Oct-17
Your getting paid by the word not by the hour. Hussle up. ;)

04-Oct-17

Here's a day after picture. I'm a lucky guy I know for sure.

04-Oct-17

The next day when packing him up, I'm carrying his cape out and glace down where he was busy doing something but I could not identify what it was the night before, there in the ground, he'd made a wallow 30 yards form me. Pretty neat to have seen that.

Moose hunting is my absolute favorite thing to do. I am not sure how many I've taken but kinda think this is #37 or #38 and called in nearing 140 bulls. I love it.

04-Oct-17
Awesome Ron, Congrats! beautiful dark antlers.

Those short hunts are the much-deserved payback for all the long, hard, bust your butt hunts you've had.

04-Oct-17
nice bull! way to go

04-Oct-17
Congrats a heavy one for sure.

04-Oct-17
Well done! Enjoy! C

04-Oct-17
Moose hunting is an absolute blast for sure. Congrats on your bull!

04-Oct-17
Congrats!

04-Oct-17
Nice bull Ron!!!

04-Oct-17
Very nice congrats Ron.

04-Oct-17
I guess the saying, "don't pass up on the first day, what you would kill on the last day" held true. Nice. Paul

04-Oct-17
Wow, huge moose, good job Ron

05-Oct-17
Every now and then..... a plan comes together..... Congrats! Nice close to the boat too..... the "portage" part I'm not sure.....

Thanks for taking us along! It's more work than folks know.... but much appreciated.

05-Oct-17
Pretty awesome! Congrats!

05-Oct-17
Congrats on a very nice moose.

05-Oct-17
Congrats, Ron!

05-Oct-17
Congrats on a great bull!

05-Oct-17
Congrats on a great bull Ron! Beautiful!

05-Oct-17
Very cool, Congrats!!

05-Oct-17
Nice bull Ron, Congrats!!

05-Oct-17
Congrats Ron on a great bull and hunt!!

#37 or #38......incredible!!

Mark

05-Oct-17
Congrats!!

05-Oct-17
Congrats Ron! Awesome bull. Sounds like an a fantastic hunt!

05-Oct-17
Nice bull. Was this a gun or bow kill ?

05-Oct-17
Haaaaa...excellent!

06-Oct-17
Congratulations Ron... beautiful bull.

07-Oct-17
Awesome, you know your stuff when it comes to hunting.... Congrats!!

07-Oct-17
Well done Ron! Glad you had such a great experience and made more memories!!

07-Oct-17
Outstanding bull, congratulations!

07-Oct-17
Excellent! May be short but sweet nonetheless. Congrats Ron.

08-Oct-17
Nice bull, That's the way to get it done!!

08-Oct-17
What state or province were you hunting?

11-Oct-17
ACB I'm in Manitoba and shot here. I've never been anywhere else to hunt moose. The next 6 days of the hunt were very slow though. I called in to more bulls in the week but could not close the deal on them. I hadn't shot a moose in a couple years after getting bit by the elk hunting bug in Colorado and was happy with this bull. In fact I'm happy with any bull..

12-Oct-17
Congrats Ron!

12-Oct-17
Way to go Ron! Congrats on your bull.

• Sitka Gear