Fuzzy 06-Oct-17
oldgoat 06-Oct-17
Ambush 06-Oct-17
IdyllwildArcher 06-Oct-17
Beendare 06-Oct-17
BTM 07-Oct-17
jims 07-Oct-17
04-Oct-17
I'm looking at gloves for wet (rain) winter hunting. Been looking at seirus hyperlite, Alaska pro, Glacier glove, and waterproof offerings from Sitka/kuiu. Any experience/opinions?

04-Oct-17
This year, I tried the Hyperlite "All Weather" that are thin with a weatherproof liner. I don't have overly large hands but needed the XL to fit.

DON"T buy this glove for an all weather solution...it absorbed water like a camel!!!

I bought two pairs (in case they were fabulous), if you want the second pair (new and unworn) you are welcome to them!

04-Oct-17
I'm going to be watching this, God Bless

04-Oct-17
I use dish gloves with light wool liners in AK. lol

04-Oct-17
Thanks, a'Lish. You probably saved me some $. MT, that's definitely an option I've heard. Thanks for the input

04-Oct-17
Add me to this list! First lite makes a pair but you need a loan to afford them.

04-Oct-17

Spiral Horn's Link
Have been through this dilema myself, and after multiple Alaska and BC hunts have concluded what works and what does not.

What Doesn't Work - forget Gore-Tex or anything with an interior waterproof liner. They have failed and left me feeling miserable on wet winter hunts -- are OK for showers but the exterior will saturate in steady/heavy rain and eventually soak thru the interior liner. And, once the exterior glove and insulation are soaked their is very little chance to dry it out in a wet winter environment.

What Does Work: For "Coastal" Alaska or BC kind of wet -- when out for hours in this kind of wet there is nothing better than Atlas insulated fishing gloves. They are lined PVC and water will not penetrate (I've attached a link). Make sure to get the insulated kind. They are great for steady rain. However, being made of PVC they don't breathe and will get wet from sweat under exertion, so I change into Fleece fishing gloves while hiking around.

For Interior Mountains and less than all-day rain - I'm very fond of the Kuiu line of gloves with the Outdry membrane keeps water from soaking into the insulating layer of the glove. Like the Yukon model -- I've used it on a number of BC and NWT hunts with very good results -- it rained a bit every time, but both my hands and the gloves stay pretty dry. So, the gloves weren't soaked and I kept using them (not one-and-done like Gore-Tex).

Anyway the above is based on many wet days afield -- nothing worse than being saturated in a steady 35 degree rain.

Hope this helps.

04-Oct-17
Spiral horn.....what type of lining is in the Atlas gloves? I used a similar rubber glove that was fleece lined that worked very well last year on a very rainy river based moose hunt in Alaska. Kept our hands dry and clean for the most part throughout the hunt, which included handling the slimey, sandy, dirty tie off boat rope multiple times daily. It was also easy to slip our damp hands into the gloves. The downside to them was that they were pretty bulky and were not realistically compatible with shooting our bows. For $13 bucks a pair, the Atlas gloves would certainly be worth a try.

05-Oct-17
In really nasty rain and cold I use the neoprene ones...they are fairly snug so you are still able to use your fingers.

05-Oct-17
The Atlas gloves have an acrylic lining - combined with the PVC they are toasty warm. Atlas also sells a version with a removable liner. This is better for drying out the liner which can get damp from repeatedly taking them on and off during the rain.

Just be sure to get an insulated version — your skin won’t appreciate being against rubber, PVC, or neoprene for long hours or days on end.

05-Oct-17
I just looked hard at the Kuiu line of gloves today but couldn't find anything that could replace either my Simms fleece or wool gloves. Both can be wet and still be too warm in a cold, wet, winter day.

06-Oct-17

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Downpour Gloves
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Downpour Gloves
Gloves are the "mystery of life" for us hunters.

Take a look at these Sitka gloves. Me likes them for rain and cold.

06-Oct-17
I appreciate the input guys!

06-Oct-17
Will . Not sure where you are heading. But I bought some atlas gloves and really like them for wet and cold. Good luck on your trip and see you in Seattle in 20!! Can't wait. Hunt

06-Oct-17
My bear guide recommended Atlas gloves for POW hunt this past year and they worked really well. We definitely got the opportunity to test them out!

06-Oct-17
I have the new Kuiu Expedition glove which is waterproof, breathable, and super comfortable. Gloves I got for Kodiak if the weather is miserable- not really a bowhunting glove to wear here in Colorado during archery. Pretty happy with them for late cold wet use.

06-Oct-17
My brother and I each have a set of the Kuiu Yukon Pro's. They are a wonderful glove in my opinion. Waterproof has been perfect and great for a working type hunt. My downfall is my hands sweat, and as with any waterproof glove I know of, drying them out is not a quick, or a backwoods process.

06-Oct-17
get a pair of Alpaca gloves, Newfoundland tested, Newfoundland approved. :)

06-Oct-17
I recently used the heavy duty latex mechanics gloves then wore the thin stretchy material gloves over the top and it worked surprisingly well! I've also had good luck seating9the thin stretchy gloves with the rubberized palm work gloves and hand warmers.

06-Oct-17
A few days ago, we were sitting in the tent looking at all the gloves on the drying rack by the wood stove. All soaking wet, EXPENSIVE , gloves mostly from Sitka. Three days of rain in the northern BC mountains and nothing to show but cold wet hands.

About the only glove still usable were the Dickie's rubberized work gloves.

We thought that surely one of the big name outdoor clothing companies can come up with a waterproof glove. And it should be under $150 to. And please forget the "System" where I need to buy four layers of gloves to stay warm and dry.

And make a toque at the same time!!

Right now, I think the best option is the Dickies work gloves from Costco and a heavier wool glove over top. The wool might be wet, but it's still warm and your hands are dry.

06-Oct-17
The problem I've found with gloves is that you have to take them off to do just about anything that requires a bit of dexterity and shoot. I've now gone to believing that having a liner and then a thicker glove is the way to go. The KUIU Merino wool glove is the warmest thing I've found that still has some dexterity when it's worn and I put a thicker glove or mitten over it depending on how cold it is. Take the glove off and your hand is still insulated by the liner.

06-Oct-17
I'm with Ike....i use a liner glove in either merino or syn most of the time. Yeah your hands get wet....but if its just normal rain it isn't so bad. if its pouring then I use a cheap rubber glove over a liner.

Gore tex Gloves keeping your hands dry.....now thats funny right there.

I'm about to try my seam seal trick i used on my leaky Soloman GTX boots [it works, dry feet!] on a pair of old GT gloves I own that leak like a sieve.

07-Oct-17
"What Doesn't Work - forget Gore-Tex" Amen to that! That's been my experience (with several pairs of expensive Outdoor Research gloves, anyway). I always carry a few bread sacks with me as backup. They cost nothing, weigh almost nothing, and make a huge difference when the rain really comes down.

07-Oct-17

jims's embedded Photo
jims's embedded Photo
I have a pair of gloves that I picked up in a sale bin at Sportsmans around 5 years ago. I can't find the manufacture's name on them but they say windstopper soft shell on the outside. They are by far the best gloves I've ever used and abused in wet weather. I've used them on numerous trips in downpours in Alaska, Wisconsin fishing in late fall with lots of rain, etc. They were also the cat's meow for hiking through Alaska's nasty devil's club forests. They are super thin so great for finger dexterity while fishing and hunting. If I could find another pair I'd jump on it..but not sure about the brand? I've enclosed a photo. If anyone recognizes these gloves and knows the brand I'd really like to know where to get another pair!

• Sitka Gear