Treeline 16-Oct-17
Kurt 16-Oct-17
Bigjay73 16-Oct-17
Ermine 16-Oct-17
Paul@thefort 16-Oct-17
LUNG$HOT 16-Oct-17
StickFlicker 16-Oct-17
15-Oct-17
Hey guys, planning on a Jan mule deer rut hunt in AZ. This is going to be a totally new experience for me as far as winter time in AZ so I have no idea what to expect as far as weather, deer movement, pressure etc... What are your experiences with unit 27? Do you recommend a different unit? When does the rut usually really kick in? Earlier in the month or later (I’m sure it varies)? I’ve done as much internet research as possible reading forums, looking at maps calling the local game wardens etc... but not a ton of info out there and no time to physically scout before I go. Any help, tips etc... through PM. would be greatly appreciated. I can share my specific target area with anyone who has experience in the area through PM for a simple yes or no also. Thanks in advance.

15-Oct-17
I'm not an expert on that area, but I'd be reasonably sure the rut is probably in about late November, not January, for mule deer in the further northern higher elevation areas of Arizona. Coues deer will be in late December, to mid-January, but I don't think mule deer will be.

16-Oct-17
Stick, I definitely thought the same thing. It sounded weird to me the rut was in late December early January but all of the research I’ve done says that it is. You can even look on the Arizona F&G website and they talk about the mule deer Rut in January. Maybe I am being duped! LOL. Anyone out there, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. Would love to hear some input from some guys who have actually hunted AZ in January

16-Oct-17
Desert mule deer and Coues rut in late December thru January in southern AZ and NM.

16-Oct-17
The northern AZ mule deer (above the rim) are earlier.

16-Oct-17
Ditto Treeline. Lung$shot you may find Coues or mule and both should be rutting. It's been more than a decade since I've hunted AZ that time of year, but it's a great time of year to be in the desert southwest. Could be cold, snow, hot, sunny: you'll have to plan for any and all of the above. But typically it's mild.

16-Oct-17
The northern AZ mule deer (above the rim) are earlier.

16-Oct-17
Back in the early 90's I killed a 4x4 mule deer with does in late Dec in unit 27, mid-elevation of the unit. He wasn't chasing them hard but certainly was running with them. Good luck.

16-Oct-17
27 can be some very rugged territory. It's a big unit, but has a lot of deer in certain areas. If you're looking for an otc late hunt in Az, iy wouldn't be my first choice for an out of towner. Maybe look into 22, or 23. Bring a butt pad, and some good glass, and you'll find deer, and they'll be in the rut.

16-Oct-17
I've been down In the AZ desert and the Mulies are rutting in January. Much later than I'm used to up in Colorado. But makes sense. They also have their velvet on later than the deer up here. Coues and Mulies rut in January down there from my experience

16-Oct-17
Google .. Mule deer rut in southern AZ for more info. Unit 27 is in the mid SW area of AZ, rough country.

Rut time? Peak fawning period is around August 7th. in southern AZ. Subtracting 205 days would suggest the average peak rut for these extreme southern Sonora and southern AZ, desert mule deer would take place the week of January 14. So moving farther north, I would expect the peak rut would be, as others have stated, Late Dec to mid January. I have hunted Coues in AZ for 9 years and I experience the WT rut to be similar. good luck . Paul

16-Oct-17
You guys are awesome as always! Thank you for the input. I’ll definitely post a story if we go and it’s worth a dam! Ha

16-Oct-17
As has been said, SOUTHERN Arizona is late December to early/mid-January. In the pine forest areas above the Rim (like I would consider the majority of 27 to be), the mule deer rut in late November. I guess it depends on where you plan to be in 27, but most of the northern part is in the higher elevations so rut would be earlier.

• Sitka Gear