Treeline 24-Oct-17
LKH 24-Oct-17
Drop tine 25-Oct-17
5575 25-Oct-17
LKH 25-Oct-17
midwest 27-Oct-17
Rickm 27-Oct-17
24-Oct-17
My buddy and I have max points in Wyoming and are starting to look at options for next year or 2019. As much as we would love to do it on our own, we are pretty much limited to one week of hunting due to work obligations and don't feel that 7 days is adequate time for us to do it right. We would love to hear outfitter suggestions for what will likely be a one time opportunity for us in WY. There are a few on the radar screen already but we don't want to overlook any lesser known options, and welcome any and all input from those who have hunted in the areas that require max points or close to it. PM's are fine if preferred.

Thanks

24-Oct-17
How many is max points? I'm asking cause I have 5 and have been starting to think about hunting there in the next couple years.

24-Oct-17
12 is max

24-Oct-17
I think it’s up to about 12 now. I am one behind max and that puts a lot of great hunts out of potential for drawing. With 5, there are choices, but the best units are way out of reach unless you get lucky on the random draw.

24-Oct-17
Most of the units that require max elk points are not 100% draws so unless you drop down to a non-max unit then you can't be sure you will draw in a given year. Even if you drop down there could be point creep on your 2018 or 2019 choice due to a hunting magazine pimping that unit hard or tags being cut. Good luck.

24-Oct-17
Let me clarify. We have max points, so at least we have a chance at any unit. We would be fine putting in for a couple of years if that's what it took to draw for a hunt worth waiting for. While the odds may change when a unit is hyped up, thankfully there is no point creep with max points in our pocket. :-)

24-Oct-17
The 8 highest-demand elk hunts had draw odds of 4% to 40% in the Special Draw. The draw odds for those hunts have not significantly increased for max point holders in the past 10 years. If you want to plan a hunt and be sure to draw, you should scan the odds reports to find out your options. Since you're going outfitted, you have more options, since you can apply for an area that's lower in NR demand due to being mostly wilderness.

24-Oct-17
There are also some excellent private land outfitted hunts in units which take way fewer points to draw.

24-Oct-17
If I was going guided, I'd be looking over at the 50's in the NW corner.

If money wasn't an object, I'd maybe look at unit 7.

24-Oct-17
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the input. Keep it coming.

24-Oct-17
Midwest is spot on.

I had a Commissioner's tag in 2015 and hunted in one of the NW units DIY. That unit can be drawn with less than max points for archery.

If I were considering going guided, I would look at a different scenario but in the same part of the state. A number of awesome units up there that take less than max points with great top end potential in wilderness areas.

I spent quite a bit of time studying outfitters and would have gone that route if I had had a better understanding of when I would be able to get the time off from work (working overseas at the time!) There are a number of excellent outfitters in that country that can set you up with a top notch "once in a lifetime" wilderness horseback elk hunt.

I had actually made up a spreadsheet with all my contacts up there, notes from our discussions, references, etc. but unfortunately got my computer stolen. Lost an unbelievable amount of information and photos! I also had a lot of that info written down in notes that I may be able to put my hands on. If I can remember, I will see if I can find those notes when I am home (working away from home yet again...)

24-Oct-17
Check out outwest safaris.com. They are in 108 which is SW of Rawlins.

25-Oct-17
You probably have already done it, but talking to the guys at BSC would be a great idea.

25-Oct-17
I know of an outfitter that is 100% on 300"+ archery bulls the last 7 years. That is not a misprint. You will see 200-750 elk a day, very large private ranch and you will be the only one hunting it as he only takes one hunter a week but will take two if you are together. If you can hold off a 340-375 bull is very possible "mine went 364". You will see bulls that size every day. But with that many elk around it makes it hard to get in on the big herd bulls. But you will pass on bulls each day that you never thought you ever would! I don't think he's had a hunter hunt longer than 4 days, its that damn good. PM me if you want more information. The bulls they took this year are extremely impressive, one has to push 400 and two in the 370s. And the area doesn't take max point for archery but it will take around 9 Good luck!

25-Oct-17
This is Wyoming he is talking about. There is not an archery tag in most areas, just a tag.

27-Oct-17
I'm guessing Bighorns type 9. Probably some great ranches up there.

27-Oct-17
For the points you have could have hunted some amazing private guided multiple times in the bighorns. With the points I would also look for a wilderness you could draw.

Unguided is a whole other animal

• Sitka Gear